Camping in Dec

nericksx

The last day of my job is going to be Dec 7th. To avoid going into a depressed death spiral, I'd like to be heading out into the great outdoors on Dec 8th for the remainder of the week - to do some camping and geocaching. I live in Oregon and only have a tent, so it's likely to be a soggy affair. I'm thinking of either going to one of my wilderness spots in the Tillamook State Forest or trying one of the State Parks on the coast that are always so crowded in the high season. I'm toying with staying in a yurt if we go to the coast, but I'm trying to keep the costs real low so I haven't made up my mind yet. I'd be taking my little boys who are seasoned summer campers, but haven't been subjected to winter camping yet.

Any thoughts? Suggestions?

We might pass by each other. My husband and I are going to be spending our anniversary (if everything works out) on the OR coast towards the end of that week/the next weekend. We're wanting to keep things cheap but dry, so we'll be spending part of it in our Suburban. Hey, take out all the seats, put an inflatable mattress in the back, comfy cozy! :P I love stormy weather, but I'm hoping that it will at least be calm enough to look for agates and jasper, etc. at the beach.

Hope you have a good trip with your kids, and that things begin to look up with work.

I'm retired now, but the company I worked for gave us the week between Christmas and New Years off. We have often camped during that week. However, we have always had a RV. :P I haven't camped in a tent in 40 years.

While I've gotten spoiled over the years and really like the RV, it sometimes seems there are more tents than RVs in some of the state parks in the winter.

I see you are in Oregon. One of my favorite places to visit is the Oregon Coast, and winter is a great time to see it.

I say go for it. You won't know until you try it if winter tenting is for you. You won't find crowds, but you won't be the only ones either. ;)

We might pass by each other. My husband and I are going to be spending our anniversary (if everything works out) on the OR coast towards the end of that week/the next weekend. We're wanting to keep things cheap but dry, so we'll be spending part of it in our Suburban. Hey, take out all the seats, put an inflatable mattress in the back, comfy cozy! ;) I love stormy weather, but I'm hoping that it will at least be calm enough to look for agates and jasper, etc. at the beach.

Hope you have a good trip with your kids, and that things begin to look up with work.

Awww... thanks! My husband and I spent our 10th anniversary camping (sans kids) on top of a peak in the Tillamook Forest in September. It was very cool. Your idea with your Suburban sound's great! I hope you guys have a great time! If you see a sad sad purple Volvo wagon with a geocaching sticker on it, stop and say hi! :P

This is the second time this week Wenatchee has shown up on my radar screen. Earlier this week some friends of mine were recommending a boutique called For the Love of It. Small world.

Personally, I would head for the coast. It might get more wet but the temps stay more reasonable. The Tillamook forest is nice but it can get wicked cold at night and the kids aren't going to be able to adapt as quick as adults to the cold. Plus, the coast is very nice in the winter.

If you think you are crazy for camping in the cold and rain, head over to Dignity Village off of 33rd and see how many people are "camping" there. (Of course the jury is out on them being crazy)

I've camped a lot in the winter, in temps as low as 10 below zero. Staying dry is the number one thing to remember when temperatures hover between 30 and 50. It is easier to stay dry at zero than at 30. Drink plenty of fluids, preferably non alcoholic, and non caffeine, and keep the caloric intake high.

Good luck

We might pass by each other. My husband and I are going to be spending our anniversary (if everything works out) on the OR coast towards the end of that week/the next weekend. We're wanting to keep things cheap but dry, so we'll be spending part of it in our Suburban. Hey, take out all the seats, put an inflatable mattress in the back, comfy cozy! :D I love stormy weather, but I'm hoping that it will at least be calm enough to look for agates and jasper, etc. at the beach.

Awww... thanks! My husband and I spent our 10th anniversary camping (sans kids) on top of a peak in the Tillamook Forest in September. It was very cool. Your idea with your Suburban sound's great! I hope you guys have a great time! If you see a sad sad purple Volvo wagon with a geocaching sticker on it, stop and say hi! :laughing:

This is the second time this week Wenatchee has shown up on my radar screen. Earlier this week some friends of mine were recommending a boutique called For the Love of It. Small world.

Sounds nice. :D Anniversaries are the high point of our year. It's been hard the past few years, because of money and health, but we still go somewhere.

That's funny that you've heard about Wenatchee twice this week. :anicute:

Interestingly, the last time we went spent a while on the Oregon Coast for an anniversary was in 2002, about 8 months after we started caching. It was our second trip where we included caching, and I have very nice memories from that. Of course, there's a lot more caches there now. There's nothing like a rainy coast and caching!

We'll keep an eye out for a purple car. ;) We can see if your name is in logbooks before us. :P

We might pass by each other. My husband and I are going to be spending our anniversary (if everything works out) on the OR coast towards the end of that week/the next weekend. We're wanting to keep things cheap but dry, so we'll be spending part of it in our Suburban. Hey, take out all the seats, put an inflatable mattress in the back, comfy cozy! :P I love stormy weather, but I'm hoping that it will at least be calm enough to look for agates and jasper, etc. at the beach.

Dunno what we'll be doing, yet, but our anniversary is coming up soon, too.

I love camping in the winter and have camped in below zero weather several times and single digits quite a few. I'm not real familiar with the climate there but I suspect that unless you are in the mountains, you are unlikely to experience bitter cold in early December.

The key is the sleeping bag. You need something that can handle the temps you are going to encounter.

The one thing I dislike about winter camping is that it gets dark so early, so be sure to bring a deck of cards, books, or games to keep the kids (and yourself) busy. or you might find yourselves staring at each other after dinner and saying "now what?".

Knit wool caps and heavy wool socks or down booties will help keep you warmer when you sleep.

If is below freezing invert your water bottles before hitting the hay so the ice doesn't form around the opening.

If you have room consider bringing your shoes or hiking boots into your sleeping bag (don't do this if they are wet)

There is no faster way to spoil the outdoors experience forever for a kid than to let them get cold.

Keep them warm and they'll have a ball and may develop a lifelong appreciation for camping, but one miserable cold weekend and they'll never want to do it again!

You don't need expensive gear to stay warm. Layering is the key.

Keep in mind that cold is cold... the experience of a night at 25 degrees is just as cold-feeling as one at -7.

I wouldn't do primitive camping the first time with kids, I would go to a State Park and tent camp at a site with electricity. Put either a fan-blown electric heater in the tent or electric blankets in their sleeping bags.

If they like that then try primitive camping the next trip.

Winter camping can be fun.

I have spent the night a couple of times in the back of my truck with a tarp for cover.

I don't know about kids though. I did camp one time in the rain with kids and a tent. I set the tent up under a large tarp connected to the canopy of the truck where I cooked. It poured rain but a small fire near the tarp and a log for a seat kept the kids occupied. Tarps are a must to keep tents dry while entering and exiting.

I usually winter camp alone. I may be camping Dec 5th and 6th near Beacon Rock State Park while there to build a new trail.

Watch the weather forecast.On my last trip the winds ripped the 3 steel hinges in two on the outhouse door. (I slept inside the group camp shelter that time). Time before that temps were in low 20's. I used two sleeping bags with long underwear, thick wool socks (warm feet are a MUST for comfort) and a wool stocking cap to sleep in. I was toasty warm!

See here for some examples of my winter camps:

Winter truck camp

Winter tent camp

The site was too slow to be able to upload pictures today so I gave you links to my Flickr photos.

I spent two weeks in the tent and set it up in an ice storm. It was blown apart by 50 mph winds and a week later was collapsed by heavy snow. I still had fun! :P

The last day of my job is going to be Dec 7th. To avoid going into a depressed death spiral, I'd like to be heading out into the great outdoors on Dec 8th for the remainder of the week - to do some camping and geocaching. I live in Oregon and only have a tent, so it's likely to be a soggy affair. I'm thinking of either going to one of my wilderness spots in the Tillamook State Forest or trying one of the State Parks on the coast that are always so crowded in the high season. I'm toying with staying in a yurt if we go to the coast, but I'm trying to keep the costs real low so I haven't made up my mind yet. I'd be taking my little boys who are seasoned summer campers, but haven't been subjected to winter camping yet.

Any thoughts? Suggestions?

Suggestion:

Get professional counseling before going camping.

It's too late for counseling I'm afraid, we've been a camping family for a long time.

I think I'm good in the gear dept. I have a 3-season tent and sleeping bags rated to 20 deg F (even for the kids). I've got tarps galore and Sweedish steel that lights in the rain, etc... We wilderness camped exclusively this summer but I agree with Bittsen that inland might get chilly, and with AlabamaRambler that the state park will be a better choice for the kids' first winter camp. I also have games galore (thanks, briansnat!) and if I end up where there is electric I can break out the ol' laptop & DVDs. When I've tent camped along side the grandparents, I done the space-heater in the tent thing, with the cord running to the RV. That's always great if you have the option.

So I've narrowed it down to two places: Cape Lookout and a private campground in Pacific City.

Thanks everyone for your awesome feedback! I like hearing all the tales :P

While they aren't cheap KOA campgrounds also have Kabins and tent sites with electricity.

We stayed at the one in Astoria (tent) and it had two sheltered side for a wind break, plus an indoor pol and hot showers..

On the plus side some have a pool (not sure about winter) and they all have showers!

We traveled from Wa. to Colorado then to Montana and would rough it one night and stay at Koa the next to shower and laundry while the kids went swimming.

tent camping in the winter rain will be COLD.

when i lost my job i went on an extended geocaching bender for a month; i lived in my car (not practical with children), which is much warmer than a tent and it has the added bonus of having heat you can turn on in a pinch.

even in may we still had snow, and i'm used to sleeping in my car on extended trips and find it pretty comfortable down to about 10 degrees.

i have excellent outdoor clothing and i sleep wrapped in layers of bedding: a the center TWO winter weight sleeping bags rated to 40 below, which i burrito-wrap facing opposite directions (i'm not comfortable zipped in to one- claustrophobic) adn around that i have one of those vellux blankets and around that a standard comforter, which kind of tent over my head and arms. underneath me i'm insulated by two sleeping pads and a yoga mat (keeps things from sliding around).

it sounds complex, but i only lay it out once at the beginning of the trip, since i ride around in my "home". it's deluxe and comfortable and if for some reason it's warm out, i just leave the layers open.

here's a rundown of my road day: http://furthermoreflask.blogspot.com/2009/...ay-on-road.html

May I suggest Oregon's Banana Belt near Brookings up the Chetco River?

Packers Cabin can be rented. There are dispersed campsites along road #1917 on the way to the cabin.

Alfred A Loeb SP has electric sites for $10/night offseason 42* 06.75 124* 11.28

Miller Bar-Chetco River 42* 08.36 124* 10.715 (free?).

This is usually the warmest area of Oregon in the winter.

Lots of great cachers along the coast too.

May I suggest Oregon's Banana Belt near Brookings up the Chetco River?

Packers Cabin can be rented. There are dispersed campsites along road #1917 on the way to the cabin.

Alfred A Loeb SP has electric sites for $10/night offseason 42* 06.75 124* 11.28

Miller Bar-Chetco River 42* 08.36 124* 10.715 (free?).

This is usually the warmest area of Oregon in the winter.

Lots of great cachers along the coast too.

Brookings is pretty far to trek, but I'm considering it! Thanks for the great tip!

Cold weather camping is great, as long as you're prepared.

Briansnat really nailed my main peeve about camping in the wintertime, the short days and long nights, but I've actually never minded that when in good company.

The only thing I'd add that I haven't seen yet in above posts, is that I'd suggest being familiar with hypothermia and its symptoms.

The only thing I'd add that I haven't seen yet in above posts, is that I'd suggest being familiar with hypothermia and its symptoms.

be aware also that hypothermia can have a surprisingly fast onset.

last year when we were out i was fine at our third safety check and five minutes later i was in trouble. after the rescue and an hour and a half into the warming, my core temperature was still south of 96.

i am no stranger to winter hiking and camping, and crashco runs on a backcountry rescue squad.

be aware of the dangers and have a plan -a REAL plan- for how to recognize trouble and what to do in case it finds you.

while i believe winter camping is worth the trouble, it is critically important to be carefully prepared and always vigilant. the price you will pay for mistakes is greatly increased.

I live in Md, on the Chesapeake Bay, across the Bay from Annapolis. I am hosting an event that has a bit of a twist. It will be a M&G with a camp over. It will be held on a wildlife preserve. The day will start at 1400 hrs for those that want to come out a bit before dark to set up their campsite for the night & to do a bit of daylight caching. At 1700 hrs will be the M&G, with chow of course, for everyone/anyone to come, regardless if they are staying for the camp over or not. Following the M&G folks will be able to do some night caching, again regardless if they are staying overnight. Around 2000 hrs we will lock the gates, for security reasons but folks can still get OUT after that if they arent staying the night. We will finish up with coffee,coco & some donuts from sunup til 0900, when the center opens again to the public. We will have use of the main pavilion which has picnic tables, bathrooms, is screened in, which we hope to drape with plastic to help control winds & a HUGE stone fireplace that will be manned & kept banked for anyone who wants to come in & warm up or have a cup of Joe or just hang out by the fireplace (no bonfires are allowed).

OH did I mention that we will be doing this Feb 20, 2010?

The feed back on doing this was good sooooooo.........we are giving it a try for those with a sense of adventure. I will have the event page up soon but if anyone has any questions please feel free to drop me a note & if you are in the area & want to join us come on out. It will be a blast. MW

Edited by Mother Wolf

We might pass by each other. My husband and I are going to be spending our anniversary (if everything works out) on the OR coast towards the end of that week/the next weekend. We're wanting to keep things cheap but dry, so we'll be spending part of it in our Suburban. Hey, take out all the seats, put an inflatable mattress in the back, comfy cozy! :) I love stormy weather, but I'm hoping that it will at least be calm enough to look for agates and jasper, etc. at the beach.

Awww... thanks! My husband and I spent our 10th anniversary camping (sans kids) on top of a peak in the Tillamook Forest in September. It was very cool. Your idea with your Suburban sound's great! I hope you guys have a great time! If you see a sad sad purple Volvo wagon with a geocaching sticker on it, stop and say hi! :(

That's not winter camping. How about camping in Ely, MN during the month of January??

That's not winter camping. How about camping in Ely, MN during the month of January??

Was gonna say that.......... but decided not!

Were these comments directed at nericksx, or to me? :)

In my case, our intention is not to go winter camping, per se. My husband and I just want to enjoy each other's company in a beautiful location, on our anniversary. We love to spend as much time in nature as we can (that's one of the reasons why we cache!), especially when it's wild and rugged, so it's cool that our anniversary is in December. But unfortunately, Suburban camping is as good as it's going to get for me at this time in my life. It's actually a big trip for me, but I'm gonna do it! :D

I grew up in the Philadelphia area. When I was in the Scouts lo these many years we always celebrated Washington's Birthday. (It had not yet been rolled into a generic Presidents day.) We did so by going camping the closest weekend to the day. This of course was in February. Where? Well Valley Forge of course, following in the great man's footsteps. Sunday Church was in Washington's Chapel there at the park. And I'll tell ya, it was COLD at Valley Forge. We had good warm sleeping bags and dry wool socks and it was still cold. The soldiers who camped there a couple hundred years before that lacked those amenities. I don't know that I'd do it now, I'm a little spoiled by camping in RVs but it was quite an experience.

Were these comments directed at nericksx, or to me? :D

In my case, our intention is not to go winter camping, per se. My husband and I just want to enjoy each other's company in a beautiful location, on our anniversary. We love to spend as much time in nature as we can (that's one of the reasons why we cache!), especially when it's wild and rugged, so it's cool that our anniversary is in December. But unfortunately, Suburban camping is as good as it's going to get for me at this time in my life. It's actually a big trip for me, but I'm gonna do it! ;)

Don't really think directed at anyone. Just suggesting that snow camping is "funner"! :)

Late thought popped into my peabrain.........

Already mentioned here are the newer miracle "keep me dry" fabrics. They are good, but do not overlook the benefits of wool. Nature's own miracle insulator. Keeps warmth in (or heat out, either way), even when wet.

I have "rediscovered" wool (always thought it was too itchy), but simple and thin silk undergarments eliminate most all itch. Gonna add to this with another thought, if the wool has another "insulator" with it, you probably don't want it. Get just plain ol' wool. Can give you brand names but won't because I am biased :) regarding quality.

There is no faster way to spoil the outdoors experience forever for a kid than to let them get cold.

I wouldn't do primitive camping the first time with kids, I would go to a State Park and tent camp at a site with electricity. Put either a fan-blown electric heater in the tent or electric blankets in their sleeping bags.

If they like that then try primitive camping the next trip.

Amen to that!

We did the electric fan/heater once. Worked great in some cold Ohio camping in January. We bungy corded ours to a cinder block so that it wouldn't fall or be knocked over during the night. We also had low-temp sleeping bags too. With the little heater we didn't even have them zipped all the way up.

I'd be hard pressed not to camp in a yurt if the opportunity presented itself.

I would be more concerned with the staying dry part, but I have absolutely no experiance camping anywhere north of Kentucky or in temps colder than 50°F.

I've always found it hard to consider the idea of staying in yurts and cabins to be camping. Then again I have a brother in law who considers staying in a Holiday Inn to be roughing it.

I grew up in Chicago so winter there is a bit colder than here in Md. Just like there arent REAL mountains on the east coast but we have to do the best with what we have. LOL

Our winter event has been posted so if anyone is in the area come on out & join us. We'd love to have ya's drop by. Here is the link.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...0d-b3459dfbd1c8

well we are talking the oregon coast, so we aren't talking polar bear camping, just looks like rain, pack garbages to put your sleeping bags and tent in afterwards.

Well exactly. The bonus of going to the coast is that it doesn't really get above 55, but it doesn't really get below 50. It's also a misnomer that it rains for 3 months straight in the PacNW. In fact, it was sunny here this morning and didn't rain all day. So I'm hoping that it doesn't rain the whole week! :)

We use to winter camp when I was in Scouts and had a blast. I remember one time when it was -20 with a windchill around -30 but we never got that cold. Tents stayed in the 30's. One thing that no one has mentioned is those disposable hand warmers. They work great. Plus they come in different sizes.

Get a couple of large coolers, throw you socks, long underwear and what not that you will wear the next day and a few of them warmers and everything will be nice and toasty when you wake up in the morning. They work pretty good in sleeping bags also.

We use to winter camp when I was in Scouts and had a blast. I remember one time when it was -20 with a windchill around -30 but we never got that cold. Tents stayed in the 30's. One thing that no one has mentioned is those disposable hand warmers. They work great. Plus they come in different sizes.

Get a couple of large coolers, throw you socks, long underwear and what not that you will wear the next day and a few of them warmers and everything will be nice and toasty when you wake up in the morning. They work pretty good in sleeping bags also.

Yupper, even in rainy weather, they keep the "clammies" out of the bag. :)

well we are talking the oregon coast, so we aren't talking polar bear camping, just looks like rain, pack garbages to put your sleeping bags and tent in afterwards.

Well exactly. The bonus of going to the coast is that it doesn't really get above 55, but it doesn't really get below 50. It's also a misnomer that it rains for 3 months straight in the PacNW. In fact, it was sunny here this morning and didn't rain all day. So I'm hoping that it doesn't rain the whole week! :)

Head North to the N-PacNW and it will rain more than 3 mo straight. That why its called GRAYs HARBOR! :)

Were these comments directed at nericksx, or to me? :huh:

In my case, our intention is not to go winter camping, per se. My husband and I just want to enjoy each other's company in a beautiful location, on our anniversary. We love to spend as much time in nature as we can (that's one of the reasons why we cache!), especially when it's wild and rugged, so it's cool that our anniversary is in December. But unfortunately, Suburban camping is as good as it's going to get for me at this time in my life. It's actually a big trip for me, but I'm gonna do it! :D

Don't really think directed at anyone. Just suggesting that snow camping is "funner"! :)

:P You would get along well with my husband. He loves all things snow. I usually have to warm :) up to the idea slowly. I think it's because I had Reynaud's fairly badly growing up, and still feel the effects off and on. If I'm warm enough, I can enjoy winter things. :santa: