Cache Cootie

ThePetersTrio

Did anyone else receive an email announcing that "Cache Cooties are infesting geocaches around the globe"?

Just curious as to how wide spread this infestation is and whether or not Groundspeak approved the "game" and whether or not Groundspeak supplied my email (and possibly yours) information to this organization?

And before someone jumps on me here...I am not accusing Groundspeak of anything. I was under the impression that our information is NOT distributed to other organizations - it could be this info was obtained through other means. I have attempted to email the organization to find out how they got my info but have yet to receive a reply.

I was curious if other cachers knew anything about it.

And at the risk of helping them with advertising this is their website: [link removed by moderator]

I assume that if Groundspeak hasn't approved them then this link will ultimately be removed.

Thanks in advance for any info about it you may wish to share here.

Edited by Keystone

From their website:

"Unlike other trackable items, Cache Cooties™ are logged here on CacheCootie.com. Like most contagious bugs, they move around almost undetected until, suddenly, you catch one! Look for them in geocaches worldwide and keep them moving!"

This is nothing new. There have always been 3rd party trackables trackable only on their own websites. Most notably dozens of different Geocoins before the big Geocoin craze. Ultimately very few people bother to or figure out how to log trackables from other websites.

I can't comment on any spamming though. I certainly didn't receive anything.

Oh, I would love to find those in caches. I can add them to the pile of stuff I won't place in caches.

One question though. Do they have a swag trade value or can I just consider it CITO?

Why not? They are someones paid for trackable. No different than a geocoin or travel bug with the exception that they are tracked on a different site. That's not to say that I condone the spam.

Oh, I would love to find those in caches. I can add them to the pile of stuff I won't place in caches.

One question though. Do they have a swag trade value or can I just consider it CITO?

Why not? They are someones paid for trackable. No different than a geocoin or travel bug with the exception that they are tracked on a different site. That's not to say that I condone the spam.

Oh, great thoughts.

I should start my own. I can call them.... um.... cachebats..... yeah.... and sell them for.... um..... 10/$30

Yeah, thats it....

I assume that if Groundspeak hasn't approved them then this link will ultimately be removed.

How refreshing to see a correct assumption posted in the Geocaching Topics forum today. :angry:

Awesome! How refreshing to have a correct assumption! :angry:

I had my suspicions this wasn't approved by Groundspeak...at least now you guys know about the "infestation" coming to caches worldwide... :)

JohnMac56 - got your email, thanks for the information. It is much appreciated.

Here is the response I got to my inquiry from the website in question:

"Thank you for contacting (***.com). CacheCootie is a newly launched cache based game envisioned nearly three years ago by a geocacher from Georgia. Recently, promotional emails were sent to geocachers whose email addresses have been saved over the years from coin trades and other geocaching related email communications collected by those involved in developing the site. ***.com does not buy or sell email lists, opting instead to spread the word organically. The email you responded to was a one time notice about the new game sent to those we thought might enjoy it. Rest assured you will not be contacting again and have not been added to a distribution list. "

How refreshing to see a correct assumption posted in the Geocaching Topics forum today. :)

So people are incorrect in assuming Superfly has had controversies in the past? I'll be expecting a public apology to them very soon then. :angry: If these CacheCootie people spammed members of Geocaching.com, that is just wrong, and a serious miscalculation on their part.

Oh, great thoughts.

I should start my own. I can call them.... um.... cachebats..... yeah.... and sell them for.... um..... 10/$30

Yeah, thats it....

Go for it. Just don't spam Groundspeak users or advertise via GS servers without permission. There is nothing that says GS is the only concern that can make a buck off this hobby?

If you received an e-mail directly from a third party to your mail address that you've shared voluntarily, such as a coin trading mail list, there's not much that Groundspeak can do to protect you from such spam.

Did anyone receive an e-mail about this directly via the Geocaching.com e-mail system? (SpammerName contacting YourName from Geocaching.com") If so, that would be something Groundspeak would want to know about.

If you received an e-mail directly from a third party to your mail address that you've shared voluntarily, such as a coin trading mail list, there's not much that Groundspeak can do to protect you from such spam.

Did anyone receive an e-mail about this directly via the Geocaching.com e-mail system? (SpammerName contacting YourName from Geocaching.com") If so, that would be something Groundspeak would want to know about.

It appears JohnMac56 has solved the mystery. It is being discussed in the coin section of the forum.

Thanks Keystone - when I posted the topic, I wasn't aware of how the email was being obtained.

[edit to ask] Does Groundspeak plan on getting involved in this being that legitimate geocaches are going to be "infested" by these things?

Edited by ThePetersTrio

Oh, great thoughts.

Yeah, thats it....

Better yet, call them golf balls!

Oh, great thoughts.

Yeah, thats it....

That name is taken. They use things called golf balls in a silly game they call, believe it or not, golf.

[edit to ask] Does Groundspeak plan on getting involved in this being that legitimate geocaches are going to be "infested" by these things?

Assuming they did not get the e-mail through Groundspeak (directly, hacking, or harvested it somehow) I don't see why Groundspeak should, or even have any rights to, intervene.

I understand that this may all boil down to another form of swag or geo-garbage. And that's fine if so. The website makes it sound like these things are going to be randomly distributed to caches everywhere. The cache listings are hosted by geocaching.com so I thought perhaps it could be a conflict.

I figure it didn't hurt to ask. :)

I understand that this may all boil down to another form of swag or geo-garbage. And that's fine if so. The website makes it sound like these things are going to be randomly distributed to caches everywhere. The cache listings are hosted by geocaching.com so I thought perhaps it could be a conflict.

Frankly, I don't think there's too much worries about it infesting caches at those prices. And I bet the mortality rate is rather high. Another point to consider is that the geocache belongs to the cache owner. Groundspeak merely owns the website and the listing service. Restrictions on cache contents are in the interest of the geocache and finders. Unless you can prove that this is dangerous, I'll be very disturbed if Groundspeak explicitly prohibits it from being placed in geocaches.

Assuming they did not get the e-mail through Groundspeak (directly, hacking, or harvested it somehow) I don't see why Groundspeak should, or even have any rights to, intervene.

Just like a month or so ago, someone asked in the Travel Bug forum about 3rd party trackables based out of Europe. There was an official response from a Groundspeak Lackey that TPTB had no problem with them, and weren't concerned. These things date way back to 2003 or so, with Travelertags.com, and several State Geocoins, and the original Canadian Geocoins from Geocoins.ca. You can take my word for it, or I will look up the thread if need be.

Of course this is all separate from the spamming issue. :angry:

I was wondering if aliens came down and took all the golf balls out of caches.

Nope! The golf balls were the aliens. They've since hatched and wafted away to wherever aliens hang out.

My guess would be Starbucks... I know I've seen gobs of aliens working there... :)

SHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhh

I told you about our eggs in confidence. You aren't supposed to let anyone know.

Oh, great thoughts.

Yeah, thats it....

Wouldn't Dragon's Teeth (or maybe Dragon's Scales) be more appropriate for you? :)

Hey, that could be a good sig item for you. You could leave them in the most difficult caches you visit as a token of the challenge. After all, pulling Dragon's Teeth isn't for the queasy!

I didn't get any emails from the folks referenced, so I don't think it's any mass spamming of GS customers.

Neither did SwampyGirl.

While I may not participate in using them, if anyone can find a way to make money off this game that works for them, more power to them. As long as they don't spam anyone else's members, it's all good.

Edited to add the sig item suggestion.

Edited by Stargazer22

Oh, great thoughts.

Yeah, thats it....

Cache Balls!

Speaking of which, it's been a long time since I found one. I was wondering if aliens came down and took all the golf balls out of caches. But then maybe I've been doing to many micros.

Jim

Sorry, a buddy and me went out, spent two weeks caching to replace all his balls I lost in the creek, woods, rough, lake, stream, pond, some dudes windshield....