Short Descrption?

SkellyCA

If it is obvious why you brought the cacher to this spot, then no history lesson or cultural lesson is needed.

If it is fairly obvious where the cache is, and no safety or stealth warnings are needed, no equipment requirements, and no instructions as to where to park or from which direction to access the cache, then no further explanation is required.

Some people don't want wordy caches. Others feel like you are lazy. You can't please all the people all the time. If people complain, that says more about them than about you.

Sometimes less is more. Is this a Zen cache perchance?

Ooooh I'd love to do a Zen cache. It'd have to be in the woods with a falling tree, and if no cacher hears it, is it because it's a micro?

If it is obvious why you brought the cacher to this spot, then no history lesson or cultural lesson is needed.

If it is fairly obvious where the cache is, and no safety or stealth warnings are needed, no equipment requirements, and no instructions as to where to park or from which direction to access the cache, then no further explanation is required.

Some people don't want wordy caches. Others feel like you are lazy. You can't please all the people all the time. If people complain, that says more about them than about you.

Sometimes less is more. Is this a Zen cache perchance?

Ooooh I'd love to do a Zen cache. It'd have to be in the woods with a falling tree, and if no cacher hears it, is it because it's a micro?

No, just a cache along the street.

As someone much brighter than me pointed out; It Depends.

We have a few locals who typically write brief descriptions, and their caches are spectacular.

However, (and this is a localized generalization), most of the short description writers put as much effort into their hides as they do their cache page, leading to a cache that doesn't lift my kilt. "Hey, Look! Another Burger King! With shrubbery! Let's plop in a film can!" Seven words later, they've got a cache submitted. While it's not my cup of tea, lots of folks hunt them.

I generally use the short description field for the basic info about the cache.

I use the long description for ancillary info about the area and why I placed the cache in that location-historical, scenic, etc.

Oh, you just meant a brief description in general?

My experience is that better locations, especially historical ones have better writeups. But there is nothing wrong with a basic hide and a short writeup.

Its been my experience that a short (or no) description is a cache that is probably going to be substandard.

What may be worse are caches in series with cut and paste descriptions. For example: "CWK #4" with the exact same description as the other 15 in the series does not bode well for its quality IMO.