great!..it's free!...

dogwhisperers

For a while I have been looking for a new hobby that myself and my kids could take up, since we recently moved out into a rural location, it had to include countryside and things like fields and trees. We do a lot of park stuff and walk our dog silly through country parks etc. But I wanted something with purpose, then along came my sis and partner from UK, and introduced me to geocaching, what a relief!!

Now here is something that doesn't cost a fortune, there is no 'fee' for taking part, no 'fee' to download 'vital equipment or software' no 'fee' for membership, and no 'fee' for new updates etc.

Also, it can boast (although it doesn't!) that you are guaranteed fun, laughter (at your own expenses) weight loss(imagine all those miles of wading through nettles and brambles that the host 'swears' was never there!) and management skills needed,(babysitter, car hire/lend,technology (gps system degree), money management(for lunch/drinks etc) and dictionary for geocaching speak( haven't mastered as yet!) and all costs less than a trip to McDonalds for a family for one day!!

I have to say, I am impressed, and hooked! (watch this space....! .... well don't, log onto our home page in a year's time...)

thanks whoever invented this sport(is it classes as a sport?) and wow!! there are others out there like me..

do others feel that 'they are not alone'?

regards

dogwhisperers

To take the other side of the argument:

Equipment is not cheap. At least $100 for a GPSr. Of course, you could get a used one for considerably less. Still, I'd want USB at least.

Transport and Internet connection comes next.

Others are nice to have. Premium membership, software, tools, signature items, cell phone data plans.

And don't get me started about geocoin addiction...

In one year, I've spent more than I wanted to keep track of on this hobby. Fortunately, a lot of it is not exclusively for geocaching.

Edited by Chrysalides

Geocaching isn't really an expensive hobby to start. You can get a decent gps for around $150. My other hobby is mountain biking, and a good full suspension mountain bike will start you around $1600. I know people who play hockey, and that costs pretty close to the same for gear. About the only hobbies I can think of that're cheaper than geocaching are fishing and birdwatching. And the latter is a pretty weak hobby.

Geocaching isn't really an expensive hobby to start. You can get a decent gps for around $150. My other hobby is mountain biking, and a good full suspension mountain bike will start you around $1600. I know people who play hockey, and that costs pretty close to the same for gear. About the only hobbies I can think of that're cheaper than geocaching are fishing and birdwatching. And the latter is a pretty weak hobby.

As with all hobbies, the amount you spend is entirely up to you. I'm not a big fan of fishing, but I'm sure you can spend thousands of dollars on rod, reel, and who knows what else. Someone I know even bought a boat just for fishing. As for birding, I'm not sure what you find to be pretty weak about it as a hobby, but the price of a good pair of binoculars is comparable to a decent GPSr.

Answering another post, it's not an "investment" unless it can be used for income generation :(

Considering the time invested, I find it value for money. Have you ever taken a few kids to an amusement park (pay per ride)? It can render you speechless the amount of money they can get through in an hour. Also many people I know have a GPS just for show in their cars. Atl least I use mine!

Compared to things like gym membership, golf club membership & equipment etc, geocaching is a walk in the park, literally..

thanks guys for the replies

happy huntin!

Maybe not an "investment" in the sense that you get paid for its use, however...some people (like ME) tend to drive...a LOT. And some people (like ME) semi-regularly need maps to find out where we're going...and instead of using a paper map and trying to write directions from it, then drive with one eye on the directions ("I don't remember anything about a dead end!!??") while trying to drive...eh, this is a MULTIPURPOSE TOOL! :(

Here's my way of thinking about it...

Premium membership = $30/year

GPSr (Magellan Roadmate) = $170

Stuff to put in geocaches/geocoins/travel bugs = ~$200/year

Gas, etc for car = $200/year

= total of ~$500/year

VS

Cost of horse = $7500

Cost of tack and equipment = $1000

Cost of monthly board for horse including feed = $350/month = $4200

Average cost of one show for horse = $400 x 12-15 per year = ~$5000/year

Cost of farrier/vet/massage therapist for horse = ~$3000/year

Gas, etc for car to visit horse = ~$200/year

= total of ~$20,900 for the year

Now, you tell me which is the cheaper hobby!

:(

To take the other side of the argument:

Equipment is not cheap. At least $100 for a GPSr. Of course, you could get a used one for considerably less. Still, I'd want USB at least.

Transport and Internet connection comes next.

Others are nice to have. Premium membership, software, tools, signature items, cell phone data plans.

And don't get me started about geocoin addiction...

In one year, I've spent more than I wanted to keep track of on this hobby. Fortunately, a lot of it is not exclusively for geocaching.

That's a very valid point. Geocaching is fairly cheep to get started, but there is the option to enrich the activity by spending money if that suites you.

i thought wow a free hobby after buying the app for the iphone for £5.99 then ended up buying an etrek h off ebay for £50, one for my daughter too, maps at £8 a pot, geocaches that ive placed out which probably has costed me around £100 (but buying bits week by week makes it seem cheap). some hiking boots, waterproofs, a hiking bag, two way radio and this week an oregon 300..

Next year i want a cheap mountain bike to get me about on so i can actually get more caches done in a day and cover more area.

Its certainly not free, but certainly hell of a lot cheaper than taking the kids to amusement parks and the zoo and probably see better animals in the wild too :(

oh did i mention petrol and wear n tear on the car lol.

I gave up ironing when I discovered it was bad for my health! Maybe I over-ironed in the dim and distant past - even doing underwear :rolleyes: In case of an accident, maybe? Boffering sounds like fun...the photography? I have to think about that and be upwind. But I agree with the OP - we get a lot for a little in geocaching.

edit to add - the only thing better than having geocaching virtually free, would be to get paid for it, then we would be professional geocachers!

Edited by popokiiti
About the only hobbies I can think of that're cheaper than geocaching are fishing and birdwatching. And the latter is a pretty weak hobby.

Fishing? For freshwater fishing alone a decent rod will run you about $50. A quality rod, $150 and up. Reels range in the $30's into the hundreds and any halfway serious fisherman will have multiple rods (I have 11 and that isn't a lot compared to others). Line? $7 - $15

Lures forget it. Surface plugs and crankbaits will run you $6 and up each and you need at least a few different surface plugs (poppers, jitterbugs and Rapalas) with two of each lure and you are best off with a variety of colors of each. Spinners are about $3-$5 each and again you need a bunch because they are easy to lose and you need a variety of designs and colors. Then you have to add in hooks, weights and other terminal tackle. This is without a boat, electric trolling motor, charger and batteries which can

add another thousand to three thousand dollars (or more if you want a motorboat).

I estimate that my tackle box (and it's a medium sized one, not one of those huge ones carried by tournament anglers) has about $600 - $700 worth of tackle in it. I guard it with my life.

Just to get off the ground with the sport will run you $50 for a decent beginner rod and reel, $15 bucks for a tackle box and about $100 to stock it with the basics. Oh and we can't forget about buying a fishing license ($30 in my state).

Then there is fly fishing...

I have more far more money invested in fishing equipment than I do in my ski equipment, and skiing is far from cheap.

Bird watching? Decent binoculars run $100 - $300. And if you want to see different kids of birds you need to travel. My in-laws are avid birders and spend thousands a year traveling the world to add to their "life list".

Nah, geocaching even with membership, top of the line GPS and all the tech tools is still far cheaper than fishing. Unless you start hiding caches.

Edited by briansnat

As with all hobbies, the amount you spend is entirely up to you. I'm not a big fan of fishing, but I'm sure you can spend thousands of dollars on rod, reel, and who knows what else. Someone I know even bought a boat just for fishing.

I don't have a boat I specifically use for fishing, but a "bass boat" can run well over $10,000. I do, however, have 11 flyfishing rods (about half as many reels). I tie my own flies so the relative cost there is low.

I'm sure that if you look at most hobbies the amount of money one spends goes up signficantly depending how much the participant gets into it. From reading paddling (canoe/kayak) forums for many years, those that get into it, tend to have multiple boats. I own four (3 kayaks and a canoe) and several paddles (one of them costs as much as a top of the line GPS). You can also participate in the sport with a $300 boat from a big box store, a $30 paddle and a $30 PFD.

A few years ago, a friend of mine was telling me he didnt want to play paint ball because it was to expensive of a hobby to get involved in.

I countered with find a hobby that isnt expensive

So far geocaching has proven to be realitivly cheap

but as with all hobbies you can spend alot of money ,depending on how involved you want to get.

the newest latest greast gps, containers for hididng, swag to put in them, swag to trade

different tools ( flashlights, trecking poles, mirrors, magnets, gloves, ect) and bags to carry them

many cachers carry pda's or laptops

it can add up to be expensive or not its up to you

For a while I have been looking for a new hobby that myself and my kids could take up, since we recently moved out into a rural location, it had to include countryside and things like fields and trees. We do a lot of park stuff and walk our dog silly through country parks etc. But I wanted something with purpose, then along came my sis and partner from UK, and introduced me to geocaching, what a relief!!

Now here is something that doesn't cost a fortune, there is no 'fee' for taking part, no 'fee' to download 'vital equipment or software' no 'fee' for membership, and no 'fee' for new updates etc. ...

It's as cheap or expensive as you want to make it. You can cache with nothing more than a good map and map reading skills, or you can buy a Range Rover, High End laptop, mobile phone with internet and spend a heck of a lot.

first off, welcome to geocaching Dogwhisperers! Have Fun! (sounds like you already are). I'm all for the 'cheap hobby' argument so I agree with you 100%.

My first GPS was already purchased for hiking before I discovered geocaching.

My collapsible hybrid mountainbike was a hand-me-down from my, up to recently active, Grandfather.

Most of the caches I do are somewhere along my 30 mile commute, so it is not like I am spending much extra on gas to do them.

Other times I cache while motorcycling (great mpg). In a way I'm spending less since now I'm hiking half the day instead of just zipping around all day burning gas.

Many of the additional caching specific knick-knacks I have gotten along the way have been gifts from family/friends since they know I am into this hobby.

So, for the most part, I have personally spent very little on this hobby.

Thanks for your OP, it reminded me of what I felt like two years ago when first getting into the fun!

As a recessionary hobby, I have taken to hiding Grumpy Dolphin Caches on Grumpy Dolphin Days (also called furlough days.) I'm up to fifteen Grumpy Dolphin caches (which is about a third of my total hides.) Some of them are evil (one has not yet been found, after two months!) One series of three has about six miles of hiking involved. Most have great views. (Even had twelve finds today on my caches!) It keeps me going on Grumpy Dolphin Days.