Sign in to follow this  
Followers 37
OpinioNate

What should new geocachers know about trackables?

I found a travel bug in Germany in a ziploc bag with a card describing its purpose and who started it off. Is this a "might have" (the bag and purpose) when dropping off a travel bug? Or is it country specific?

Might have, sometimes nice to have.

Sounds (to me) that the TO (or a fellow cacher) cared enough to keep the TB from getting who-knows-what on it, and took a little extra care to be sure folks not using phones with immediate access, are able to see whether they can help it with its mission. :)

When we still had some out, we enclosed 'em in baggies with it's mission on a little laminated card.

My other 2/3rds coins (all gone now too) even had the plastic snap cases on 'em (maybe making them look too valuable).

Edited by cerberus1

I'm hoping someone on here can help me with a predicament. I made a travelbug noobie mistake and didn't activate a trackable before I placed it in a cache. We were in California on a trip from Delaware, and I figured I could activate it after the fact, but it turned out I didn't have the activation code with us. When I went to activate it when we got home less than 2 days later, it had already been found and the finder activated it as his own!! I've messaged and e-mailed the finder and have not heard back. I also submitted a help message to Groundspeak. I sent the finder the link to transfer ownership via adoption, but I have a fear that they won't do it.

What are my options? Do I have any? I'm really upset about it since it was a special one and we hung on to it to plant someplace special. I didn't expect this to happen. The initial mistake was mine, but this seems like a breech of travelbug etiquette to me.

I appreciate any suggestions.

Kim (Kimba-Rex)

Edited by Kimba-Rex

These days, my biggest pet peeve is when I drop a TB/coin into a cache or event, and I don't have the time to return home to log my found and drop and somebody already have grabbed it!!

Can people be so impatient that they can't wait for a proper drop before doing a retrieve? that they have to do a grab immediately?

I believe that the "Grab" feature should be treated just like last resort. Get a warning and a note like "Can't you wait for a proper drop, or contact geocacher by email in parallel before a grab".

When doing a "Need Archive", you get a "You are submitting a note that this listing should be archived. Click "yes" to continue".

When doing a "Need Maintenance", you get a "You are posting a "needs maintenance" log entry. This will add an attribute and alert the owner. Click "yes" to continue".

Your thoughts?

Pierre (Tipete)

Why is the "GRAB" option no longer available? I have a TB that was improperly logged by the last holder. Now all I can do is leave a note or mark as discovered.

You can still grab trackables, unless the TO marked it as collectible, then you can only write note or discover.

Great info in this thread, thanks much!

I'm ready to start caching and transporting in earnest with a family adventure planned around the state. We're prepping a bunch of TB's to drop off in various locations. Here's a new question (I've been scouring the forums and haven't come across anything like this):

If one of my shiny newly activated TB's has a goal like "visit every state park in the state", can I have it "visit" several caches before dropping it off at its first home? Or does a TB not become loggable until dropped once?

Somewhat related, if I'm going on a cross-country trip, is it kosher to stop by a new cache on the way out, but make the first drop at my destination? I'd like my bug's initial location to be near my home, but I don't want to be seen as artificially inflating its mileage. FWIW, I'm also planning on stopping by a TB Hotel near the airport to pick up a few other bugs and give them a several-hundred-mile boost!

If one of my shiny newly activated TB's has a goal like "visit every state park in the state", can I have it "visit" several caches before dropping it off at its first home? Or does a TB not become loggable until dropped once?

That plan should work. A "Visit" performs the same function as dropping and retrieving the TB.

if I'm going on a cross-country trip, is it kosher to stop by a new cache on the way out, but make the first drop at my destination? I'd like my bug's initial location to be near my home, but I don't want to be seen as artificially inflating its mileage.

It's common to do a Visit at a cache near "home" before going on a trip. But you may wait to visit or drop it on arrival, and the mileage will start there. Whatever makes the most sense to you.

I have found a trackable a few days ago. I logged it in as it should be, but I would like to take it with me to other caches, without letting it there. And put it into another cache next weekend. So my question is, how do I write on the trackabel page, that I took it to a cache? Because I tried and the only thing I can do is write a note. Is it how it should be? Thanks for the help

I have found a trackable a few days ago. I logged it in as it should be, but I would like to take it with me to other caches, without letting it there. And put it into another cache next weekend. So my question is, how do I write on the trackabel page, that I took it to a cache? Because I tried and the only thing I can do is write a note. Is it how it should be? Thanks for the help

Post a note on the cache page.

Before submitting the log scroll down and see your trackable inventory.

Choose the "visited" option from the drop down menu.

Submit your log.

The trackable will not leave your possession.

I am a starting Geo-cacher and I picked up three separate tracking bugs and a Geo coin. How do I log them and move them onto the next cache. I looked at the FAQ's and the "info"page but it seems like it runs me in circles. Any help would be greatly appreciated so I won't be holding these for very long. My email is Droccon77@Gmail.com

I may have missed this while reading about trackables so figured I would ask. First I am getting ready to buy some bugs and send them out in the next month just as an adventure and see where they go. My question is; If I find a trackable and due to its mission and the fact that I basically just goecache locally should I just leave it? If I leave it in the cache should I log that it is there or at least send the owner an update that it is there and condition? Just curious of the proper etiquette if I do not take the trackable with me to relocate.

I may have missed this while reading about trackables so figured I would ask. First I am getting ready to buy some bugs and send them out in the next month just as an adventure and see where they go. My question is; If I find a trackable and due to its mission and the fact that I basically just goecache locally should I just leave it? If I leave it in the cache should I log that it is there or at least send the owner an update that it is there and condition? Just curious of the proper etiquette if I do not take the trackable with me to relocate.

It's fine to make a Discover log, and leave it in the cache.

Sorry if this in the wrong place as completely brand new to Geocaching after being recommended by a friend who now lives in America! I'd love to get a trackable to send to a cache in their area. Can I send it to any cache I like or do I need to ask owners permission? And do I need to tell my friends it's coming to them? I'd love it to be a surprise!!!

The last person to retrieve my trackable has had it in their possession for over 6 months and still hasn't placed it. I tried to message them but didn't get a response. I would like to send out my replacement tag. My question is, do I need to mark the original as missing first or do I just write a log saying that I placed my copy in a cache?

Sorry if this in the wrong place as completely brand new to Geocaching after being recommended by a friend who now lives in America! I'd love to get a trackable to send to a cache in their area. Can I send it to any cache I like or do I need to ask owners permission? And do I need to tell my friends it's coming to them? I'd love it to be a surprise!!!

Sorry no one responded to this! No, you don't need to ask permission. Trackables go in and out of caches all the time. Whether or not you tell your friend is up to you, but eventually you'll want to tell them it's there. ;) (If it gets there, that is.)

The last person to retrieve my trackable has had it in their possession for over 6 months and still hasn't placed it. I tried to message them but didn't get a response. I would like to send out my replacement tag. My question is, do I need to mark the original as missing first or do I just write a log saying that I placed my copy in a cache?

No need to mark it as missing, as any action you take will cancel the Missing state. You'll "grab" the TB from whoever has it now, as if you took the original back from them. Then "drop" the replacement in a cache.

I have a question as a newbie. We (kids and I) keep finding items with what I think are user names on them ( thought they were trackables, they are not). 1 was a name abd we updated via message the owner, but the other has been a complete dead in fir us. Is there somewhere else to log these? Are they even meant to be logged?

On 7/2/2017 at 8:54 PM, bobbie1414 said:

I have a question as a newbie. We (kids and I) keep finding items with what I think are user names on them ( thought they were trackables, they are not). 1 was a name abd we updated via message the owner, but the other has been a complete dead in fir us. Is there somewhere else to log these? Are they even meant to be logged?

I am new to this but I think you may be talking about path tags. Is there a hole in it at the top? You can register on pathtags.com I was given one by a cacher I met and that's what she told me to do with it. 

On ‎7‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 8:54 PM, bobbie1414 said:

You don't say what those "items" are, but if there's any place to log them, it'd usually be written on it.

You've found a couple trackables, so you kinda know what to look for.

What you may be finding are signature items, acting as a kind of calling card, simply saying, "we were here ! "  :) 

We find a lot of signature wooden or clay "coins", and other crafty things that folks made for that purpose.

A general note to newbies...Please, please, please do not join for a short time, grab a bunch of travel bugs and then not send them along. \i cannot count how many of my travel bugs have gone missing, only to discover it was a new person, who got into the hobby for 6 months, grabbed a bunch of travel bugs and then decided they had enough and quit playing....almost as aggravating as those people that steal travel bugs. 

A quick question.  I have just activated a GeoCoin and a Travel Bug.  Do I put the code stamped on the back of them in my item description/mission? 

15 hours ago, Gidget75 said:

A quick question.  I have just activated a GeoCoin and a Travel Bug.  Do I put the code stamped on the back of them in my item description/mission? 

No. The code that's stamped onto the item is what the person that finds the trackable will enter onto the website/app to log what they've done with the item (retrieved/grabbed/dropped it).  If you put the code in the item description/mission, then anyone that sees the page will be able to log the item, even if they haven't seen the item in the real world, which could cause problems.

ETA:  If you want to give other cachers the code to view your item's page, then you could give them the "public" number, which generally starts with "TB".  that public number can be seen at the upper-right of the item's page, above the "Trackable Options" section.

Edited by noncentric
  • Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Gidget75 said:

Your "To Italy" tag has the tracking number listed at the bottom for all to see in "About This Item". 

If you did intend to allow all to "Discover" a trackable they've never seen, the site says,  "Virtual trackables with virtual logs are not encouraged. It is up to the trackable owner to state if they allow this".   Don't be upset later though, when a hundred or better log it the same day at some mega event (from a list).  ;)

If you didn't, then simply edit the  tracklable's page, removing the code.  Sometimes I'll log a "Discover" with a note on trackables, when the CO showed the code (usually by mistake...), just in case they didn't intend to.  Nice you asked.   :)

17 hours ago, Gidget75 said:

As a follow-up to what cerberus1 has already pointed out. It looks like there are 3 trackables that you may wan to edit. Your "Italy" tag, your "Geokid - girl" coin, and your cousin's "Geokid - boy" coin.

Most trackable pages do not include the code number that's stamped on the back in the description of the trackable.  Even the Help Center says:

gc-tb1.png.fccfcdfeb9ac9e3dd5aeee5f72e09f8d.png

When entering a tracking code into the app or web site, as soon as you enter the first character, it tells you that the code is invalid. Some cachers might stop there, and not realize that the code will be recognized as valid only after it has been completely entered.

9 hours ago, Henru95628 said:

When entering a tracking code into the app or web site, as soon as you enter the first character, it tells you that the code is invalid. Some cachers might stop there, and not realize that the code will be recognized as valid only after it has been completely entered.

Curious where you're entering , or see that message.

I tried four times on the trackable search page, and didn't get an "invalid" message.  Thanks.  :)

I'm not sure if this question has been asked before, but here goes...

A while back I picked up a few trackables, and each time I visited another cache it registered that the trackables had 'visited' those caches automatically.  From the start of May, though, it has stopped doing this.  I don't know if there has been a software change or if I need to make a change to my settings, or what. Or maybe I need to manually log them now, but it seems a bit strange, as I never used to.

Can someone advise me on this?   Thanks.

5 minutes ago, Mark142857 said:

I'm not sure if this question has been asked before, but here goes...

A while back I picked up a few trackables, and each time I visited another cache it registered that the trackables had 'visited' those caches automatically.  From the start of May, though, it has stopped doing this.  I don't know if there has been a software change or if I need to make a change to my settings, or what. Or maybe I need to manually log them now, but it seems a bit strange, as I never used to.

Can someone advise me on this?   Thanks.

I have never personally seen an automatic log for a TB I had with me. I've always had to log a visit manually.   Interesting that your experience is so different!

7 hours ago, Mark142857 said:

Thought I remembered  this was "corrected/fixed"  when this new app came out,  because so many didn't realize the default was on for that auto "visit" function.   Trackable owners having a fit.  

Can't find where I saw it ...   

Were you using the Geocaching app when it worked?    How far is "a while back" ?   :)

Think I might have solved it!  At the start of May I got a new phone and installed the c:geo app as before.  HOWEVER, I have just seen that the "Set trackables to 'Visited' by default" option wasn't set.  It is now!  Seems the default was set to 'off'. Thanks to cerberus1 for giving me the idea to check this.

So now do I go back to the several dozen caches I have found since I got my new phone and change the logs?  Is that even possible?

Sure, just go to your log,  hit "view/edit log/images " at the bottom, hit the pencil (edit), and check the boxes on those trackables.

• Helpful 1

35 minutes ago, Mark142857 said:

Think I might have solved it!  At the start of May I got a new phone and installed the c:geo app as before.  HOWEVER, I have just seen that the "Set trackables to 'Visited' by default" option wasn't set.  It is now!  Seems the default was set to 'off'. Thanks to cerberus1 for giving me the idea to check this.

So now do I go back to the several dozen caches I have found since I got my new phone and change the logs?  Is that even possible?

I learned something new. I didn't even know there was an option for automatic visits!

1 minute ago, Max and 99 said:

I learned something new. I didn't even know there was an option for automatic visits!

There are at least a couple of Apps that have that setting.  And it's possible to accidentally set it.  A cacher may have lost a TB a long time ago, yet unknowing to that cacher, it's been "logged" through every cache forever.

Girl Scout troop just started out geocaching recently. Planning to release a travel bug today. Can someone look at TB7Z1FG is the code it says to give out and tell me if we have all the info entered correctly and ready to release? Thank you!!

7 hours ago, octroop4126 said:

Girl Scout troop just started out geocaching recently. Planning to release a travel bug today. Can someone look at TB7Z1FG is the code it says to give out and tell me if we have all the info entered correctly and ready to release? Thank you!!

It looks ready to go. And yes, don't give out the secret tracking number to anyone who has not seen it, or moved it, use the number you posted.

Thank you we dropped it yesterday afternoon, the girls had a great time. Found their 2nd cache and couldn't find the third. Chose looking over playing in the park, they were having so much fun with the hunt.