Geocaching Holiday

Dogfort

Ok heres the score. I am in the Bucks/Oxon area. I was due to go on holiday from 16th-19th October. My friend I was going with ahs now pulled out. I havent lost any cash but I cannot unbook the holiday due to my line of work.

So I thoguht "Why not go on a caching holiday?"

So people!!! Ideas. I want somewhere in this country where I can cache my lil heart out all day every day for 4 days and not run out of places. So preferably somewhere with a number of circular walks int he vicinity.

Derbyshire is a good first call. What a pity your dates arent slightly different. KF and MrsKF aka FK are going on a three day cache adventure to Castleton area starting the 19th Oct. Oh well a near miss.

The NEW FOREST - a bit of a trek for you but a great area to walk and cache in!

As for the Submarine Pens - hope the cache is alive still, well worth a visit!

These are all great insights!!! I am basically looking to do this

Friday morning drive to wherever, book in the B&B. Crack out a local of local micros and tackle a couple of tougher ones in the region of 4x4, 5x5. Then Saturday and sunday do some circular walks and monday do some cache and dash ones ont he route home as I dont expect the legs to want to do much.

Does the Sussex one or Derbyshire cater for that sort of thing? I am going to have a look myself now on the maps and see. But if any locals or cachers who have been there would gimme an insight.

p.s. dadgum shame the dates are a lil off.

i was thinking this earlier, how about a search option for finding great caching locations for holidays in? found not enough about for new forest, lake district depends which part you going to, we ended in a part that only had about 3 in the few mile radius of us.

how about berkshire? buckleberry area has some good ones and surrounding villages have some good caching circular walks.

Well, it depends on where you're planning on going.

If you'd like to head south towards the Bournemouth coast, you'll find lots of wonderful caching countryside.

Take a look at my website, www dot geocachebreaks dot com, where I suggest a couple of bed and breakfasts with about ten caches within a five mile radius.

Edited by Sleuthing Duo

lake district depends which part you going to, we ended in a part that only had about 3 in the few mile radius of us.

Where on earth were you?

We were on some flooded campsite near coinston i beleive. There was one a mile down the track along by the lake and 3 or 4 up the huge mountain, as we got flooded out we managed the one and i wasnt even going to attempt a mountain in monsoon like rain. If you go up keswick way there are hell of a lot more (and this was where i was under the impression we were going to be going, but not).

Still this thread has brought up a good idea for the Groundspeak team to work on and that is holiday caches, if locals for that area put together a list of caches and best order to do them in then holidays, days out etc could yield some helpful and interesting ideas for people who otherwise would never think of a particular area.

Still this thread has brought up a good idea for the Groundspeak team to work on and that is holiday caches, if locals for that area put together a list of caches and best order to do them in then holidays, days out etc could yield some helpful and interesting ideas for people who otherwise would never think of a particular area.

I know what you mean, but be careful. Groundspeak doesn't like "Holiday caches". They have a different meaning :drama:

Surely one just needs to look at the map to see where caches are. Don't think we really need Groundspeak acting as a tourist guide, do we?

To be honest, there's now so many caches that it doesn't matter much where you go on holiday - you're pretty certain to have some around you. Obviously in the less populated, more rural areas then they tend to spread out a bit. Not sure the Lakes falls into this category. Of course, if you go to a village at the base of some mountains, don't be surprised to find some up the hill. :)

Just up the road from Coniston, by the way, is a great low level round through Tilberthwaite, including the great "Slatosaurus" and the infamous "Torchy Goes Bananas".

I suspect that you've rather taken against Coniston as the weather was awful and you expected to be in Keswick! :drama: Hope your next holiday is better. :D

...Still this thread has brought up a good idea for the Groundspeak team to work on and that is holiday caches, if locals for that area put together a list of caches and best order to do them in then holidays, days out etc could yield some helpful and interesting ideas for people who otherwise would never think of a particular area.

This is not something that Groundspeak would do, it's what individual cachers do for the benefit of fellow geocachers coming to their local areas. Many cachers create bookmark lists of their favourite nearby caches: You might like to have a look through Birdie's bookmark list of Bookmark Lists to see the sort of selections already made.

MrsB :drama:

This is all fantastic stuff. I had looked at the isle of Scilly but its a bit far to drive. Especially qall that water between Lands end :drama:

Also SOuthern ireland looks fantastic for doing 2/3 caches a day. Ryanir doing £20 returns but they ran out yesterday and I get paid tomorrow dadgum!!!!

South Wales would be good, great beaches, mountain ranges,national parks, great for wild caches.

You can even stay at my house,at fantastic rates'

Cheers.

Haha niceone Karrimore. How much? Would you want to cache on the weekend?

Yep, No Problem, P.M. if you want.

PM sent.

Well its decided.

I looked at the options in the UK but felt that I wanted to spend an afternoon doing 1 cache int he middle of nowhere unspoilt by hoooomans with cracking scenary. So I managed to get

Flights - £32

Car Rental - £54

Hotel - £64

For 3 days and 2 nights in.............

Cork, southern Ireland. Have a look at some of the caches an hour SW of the city. Man it looks amazing.

BUT can I jsut say a MASSIVE thanks to the input that you folks have come up with!

Edited by Plastow