How To Make A PVC Water Main Geocache

Headhardhat

Here is an 8 minute video on how to make your own PVC Water Main Geocache.

I think it is pretty darn evil myself.. Enjoy.

-HHH B)

That's the 2nd time recently I've seen ball valves discussed for this. Looks like a very good idea both from a functional and hide standpoint.

As someone at youtube asked ...

How tough is it to get the mini-bison back in and centered on the ball valve with those 90 degree elbows attached? Will finders have any real problems replacing it?

Edited by ecanderson

How tough is it to get the mini-bison back in and centered on the ball valve with those 90 degree elbows attached? Will finders have any real problems replacing it?

That's an interesting hide idea!

If you block one side of the valve (and that entire half-section of pipe), people could easily drop the bison tube into the other side. Regardless of how simple you make it to do, I doubt you'll always find the tube properly replaced inside the valve.

Edited by kunarion

Humm I saw that and I thought great not only do we encourage cachers to pull up active sprinkler heads.

Now we are encouraging cachers to pull up whole valve assemblies. :laughing:

No matter what you do or don't make, some geocachers will pull on anything to get a smiley. Some will also pull covers off of active electrical boxes and not bother to replace the covers, etc.

It has nothing to do with what IS a geocache but what could be a geocache.

Humm I saw that and I thought great not only do we encourage cachers to pull up active sprinkler heads.

While at the same time were encouraging people to get out of the house and exercise thier brains and bodies...

Yeah, I think it's worth it.

Thank you for having the stones to post this. It's about time. :laughing:

You wouldn't believe some of the fake valve assemblies that I have seen co-located with the public water distribution network.

Being skillful and creative is nice. It is not the end-all and be-all of cache placement nor does it trump responsible placement.

Interesting idea, but I don't see it working very well. As others have mentioned, there's the problem of the cache getting replaced correctly in the ball valve assembly. Plus, what does the whole assembly get attached to? You cant just place it on the ground Seems you would need to have it attached to something that it could be pulled off of. Hope someone can do this and post some pix.

Only problem I see there other than encouraging people to mess with water valves is the stakes to mount it would violate the no pointy objects rule

It has been pointed out a few times that pounding stakes does not violate the no digging with pointy objects rule. Pounding stakes is NOT digging. Once the stakes are removed, the damage is basically repaired.

Now we are encouraging cachers to pull up whole valve assemblies. :sad:

No matter what you do or don't make, some geocachers will pull on anything to get a smiley. Some will also pull covers off of active electrical boxes and not bother to replace the covers, etc.

:laughing::laughing::D pickle :blink::blink::blink: park :angry::yikes::grin:

Now we are encouraging cachers to pull up whole valve assemblies. :unsure:

:laughing::laughing::D pickle :blink::blink::blink: park :angry::yikes::grin:

That is sick! Totally funny, but sick. :sad:

Now we are encouraging cachers to pull up whole valve assemblies. :unsure:

:laughing::laughing::laughing: pickle :laughing::laughing::laughing: park :laughing::laughing::laughing:

That is sick! Totally funny, but sick. :laughing:

I'm sooo sorry but I just couldn't resist. :lol:

When I made this video I really expected a lot of feed back and was not disappointed. When ever you give a basic concept people are going to come up with suggestions to make it better. The biggest conversation was how the best way to get the bison tube back into the "ball" section without driving the geocacher nutz.

My question so I can add the suggestions to my post would be what is your idea to do just that?

Thanks as always!

-HHH :)

When I made this video I really expected a lot of feed back and was not disappointed. When ever you give a basic concept people are going to come up with suggestions to make it better. The biggest conversation was how the best way to get the bison tube back into the "ball" section without driving the geocacher nutz.

My question so I can add the suggestions to my post would be what is your idea to do just that?

Thanks as always!

If you were going to do it before you glued everything together, you could have put a test plug on one side of the assembly to block it off so the bison tube couldn't go past the ball valve. Since it's together, you could add a permanant filler (cement, or expanding foam would work). Just make sure the ball valve is well lubed so the filler won't stick to it and add the filler with the valve closed.

Cement would be good to add weight to the whole unit but could fracture if dropped which would cause problems. Expanding foam filler could damage the assembly if it expands too much.

But those ideas will get you started.

Thanks as always!

If you were going to do it before you glued everything together, you could have put a test plug on one side of the assembly to block it off so the bison tube couldn't go past the ball valve. Since it's together, you could add a permanant filler (cement, or expanding foam would work). Just make sure the ball valve is well lubed so the filler won't stick to it and add the filler with the valve closed.

Cement would be good to add weight to the whole unit but could fracture if dropped which would cause problems. Expanding foam filler could damage the assembly if it expands too much.

But those ideas will get you started.

Great Stuff window and door. It is formulated to prevent pushing jambs and frames.