Damp Logs Can Make Your Fellow Cachers Sick

hudsonfam

If someone reports that your log is damp please, please, PLEASE make an effort to replace it as soon as possible. Some seem to describe damp logs as nothing more than an annoyance, but for some of us with severe mold/mildew allergies it can be downright dangerous.

If the log book doesn't have an opportunity to dry out soon after getting wet, it's going to begin to grow mold and/or mildew. Those spores, when inhaled by a cacher with hypersensitivity to this particular allergen, can cause really bad reactions.

After a couple of musty smelling logs and resultant sinusitis and severe headaches, I'm wondering if I'm going to be forced to take a DNF on a damp log I can't sign. I don't need this going to my lungs. :blink:

If someone reports that your log is damp please, please, PLEASE make an effort to replace it as soon as possible. Some seem to describe damp logs as nothing more than an annoyance, but for some of us with severe mold/mildew allergies it can be downright dangerous.

If the log book doesn't have an opportunity to dry out soon after getting wet, it's going to begin to grow mold and/or mildew. Those spores, when inhaled by a cacher with hypersensitivity to this particular allergen, can cause really bad reactions.

After a couple of musty smelling logs and resultant sinusitis and severe headaches, I'm wondering if I'm going to be forced to take a DNF on a damp log I can't sign. I don't need this going to my lungs. :blink:

Damp logs should be dried out or replaced, no arguments here. However, I think in this sport that is going to be a very common factor (I live in the Pacific Northwest so maybe more of it over here).

Would a mask help when opening caches? Maybe latex gloves and a face mask?

...After a couple of musty smelling logs and resultant sinusitis and severe headaches, I'm wondering if I'm going to be forced to take a DNF on a damp log I can't sign. I don't need this going to my lungs. :blink:

Damp is going to be a fact of life for you in this activity. Caches get damp for a number of reasons. Years ago I got over my "why the freak can't this cache owner get it through their fat head how to hide a cache so it stays dry" issues and found a pen that writes on wet & damp logs.

Adapt so you can keep on enjoying this.

Doesn't mold/mildew just grow in the woods absent the presence of wet paper?

I think the dark, cool, humid conditions in cache containers promote the growth of mold more than out in the open.

I have to remember to use the hand sanitizer more often when out caching...

Like the cool, humid pile of leaves I find ammo cans under?

Don't get me wrong, damp logs should be replaced, but I think that the out-of-doors would be pretty full of potential alergens at it is before you open a cache.

Don't get me wrong, damp logs should be replaced, but I think that the out-of-doors would be pretty full of potential alergens at it is before you open a cache.

Oh, I'm not disagreeing. Merely pointing out that mold is more likely in a damp cache container.

Over here we're lucky, I guess. The SF Bay Area is not humid and rain during summer is something to go out to gawk at. Even then I've come across a few cache containers that got wet, and turned into a very interesting biology experiment. Should have taken photos and samples, could have been a new life form. But I didn't have a hazmat suit with me then :blink:

Doesn't mold/mildew just grow in the woods absent the presence of wet paper?

I think the dark, cool, humid conditions in cache containers promote the growth of mold more than out in the open.

I have to remember to use the hand sanitizer more often when out caching...

In nature there tends to be more variety and less concentration of all things. This should include mold. Man made environments tend to promote more quanity but less overall kinds of life. A cache would encourage more of a specific kind of mold. The wild would tend to support more kinds of molds but less of each kind. It's the concentration that's impacting the OP.

That's not to say that a pile of damp leaves won't grow a heck of a lot of mold. That's the problem with generalities. They have exceptions.

Edited by Renegade Knight

In nature there tends to be more variety and less concentration of all things. This should include mold. Man made environments tend to promote more quantity but less overall kinds of life. A cache would encourage more of a specific kind of mold. The wild would tend to support more kinds of molds but less of each kind. It's the concentration that's impacting the OP.

That's not to say that a pile of damp leaves won't grow a heck of a lot of mold. That's the problem with generalities. They have exceptions.

Generally, I agree.

You can't fight the man.

We have enough problems getting people to just maintain their caches. Most containers are sub-par so you won't have dry logs.

I feel your pain though. My family has allergies and my wife sniffs every single cache we find to check. I get a kick out of it every time.

I saw this and read it as "My containers are sub-par so you won't have dry logs."

But back to topic, damp and wet logs are just part of the caching experience. You know it's going to happen, you just have to be prepared for when it does.

Tim

I saw this and read it as "My containers are sub-par so you won't have dry logs."

But back to topic, damp and wet logs are just part of the caching experience. You know it's going to happen, you just have to be prepared for when it does.

Tim

I'm guessing you mean my caches? :huh:

I'm anal about all of my hides. If it was wet or sub-par it would be fixed *or* gone.

I don't put out pill bottles, film cans, or deli-tubs. B)

Edited by Knight2000

Thanks for all the feedback. I will do what I can to avoid problems - wear a mask, bring my own replacement log, etc. but I didn't think it would hurt to bring it to the attention of cache owners that a damp log is more than just a nuisance. Those without allergy problems may have never thought anything about it and I happen to be one that likes to be informed on how I can make this a more enjoyable experience for others.

Just because I make a request on behalf of myself and others with the same problem that some consideration be made if possible doesn't mean I've chosen the wrong hobby or that I'm not willing to work hard or put up with inconveniences for it. I currently have so many scratches and bruises from geocaching I've lost count, and I took pictures of the big, long bloody scrape I got up my leg from the vicious desert thorns in AZ b/c I was proud of my "battle wound."

I haven't placed a cache yet, but I plan to take responsibility for it and keep it as dry, clean and well-stocked as possible. If I find that to be impossible, then I will be happy to come back and apologize.

In the meantime, if people can complain that soggy logs suck just because they're a pain, then I feel I have the right to complain that soggy logs suck because they make me physically ill. :huh:

But it's nice to know that some of you can always be counted on for a sarcastic and degrading comment in response to a perfectly innocent post. I'm sure this gives newbies much confidence to ask their questions in a safe and helpful environment. B) -K

Here's an idea....rather than imply that the OP should stay away from caching, because damp logs promote mold & mildew and that nature itself is full of the same.....how about do this:

If your cache repeatedly has "wet log" posts, either add a better bag, replace the log with waterproof paper, or use a better container. I always do 1 of those 3 in the situation & it amazingly works like a charm....not perfect, but much less wet log problems in the future.

And yes, mold & mildew CAN be very harmful to most anyone, if the right type, and DEADLY to certain people.

Here's an idea....rather than imply that the OP should stay away from caching, because damp logs promote mold & mildew and that nature itself is full of the same.....how about do this:

If your cache repeatedly has "wet log" posts, either add a better bag, replace the log with waterproof paper, or use a better container. I always do 1 of those 3 in the situation & it amazingly works like a charm....not perfect, but much less wet log problems in the future.

And yes, mold & mildew CAN be very harmful to most anyone, if the right type, and DEADLY to certain people.

So what do you do with the old wet log? Isn't that the property of the CO and the only way for the CO to audit the smileys?

So what do you do with the old wet log? Isn't that the property of the CO and the only way for the CO to audit the smileys?

Yes it is. That's why my post included the word "your", meaning that type of maintanace should be done on "your" caches if they have constant wet log notes included. In 98% of the cases, ONLY the CO will "use a better container" for the cache.

I am not sure what the consensus thinking on this, but when I have replaced logs (maybe 5 times now) I KEEP the old log with me, and then drop a note to the CO offering to mail it to them, drop it off, leave it in a cache near them for them to retrieve, or just keep it myself. In each case the CO has said "toss it", but I have kept them just in case.

I seal it away in another baggie to prevent the moisture on it from getting the new log (also in a baggie) wet. I try to put it so that the dry log is seen first, but after a few people have rummaged through it, who knows. So hopefully the cache owner will notice me mentioning it in my log and do something about it.

Just had our first rain in months. May start seeing more wet logs soon.

I am not sure what the consensus thinking on this, but when I have replaced logs (maybe 5 times now) I KEEP the old log with me, and then drop a note to the CO offering to mail it to them, drop it off, leave it in a cache near them for them to retrieve, or just keep it myself. In each case the CO has said "toss it", but I have kept them just in case.

I've only removed logs from the cache container twice. Once, all that was left was a wet mush (owner said to toss it). Another time, it dried out nicely after I got home, so I went back the next day to replace it (in a baggie). These days, I don't remove any logs - if it is wet or full, and I can't add a new logsheet, I log a NM.

There are those who prefer to replace the log themselves by having you post a NM (surprised briansnat hasn't replied yet :huh:)

how about do this: If your cache repeatedly has "wet log" posts, either add a better bag, replace the log with waterproof paper, or use a better container. I always do 1 of those 3 in the situation & it amazingly works like a charm....not perfect, but much less wet log problems in the future.

In my caching pack I carry cache maintenance supplies with me at all times, religiously. This includes:

• About 3 each of 8 different sizes of ziplocs, from one quart down to tiny 1.5 inch square bags. The smallest bags I found at Wal Mart in the craft/beading section. The next size up is the pill bag Wal Mart sells in pharamacy... and then quart sizes too, from grocery
  • At least one match tube that I can leave as a waterproof log holder inside another cache if that cache has moisture issues. They cost only 1.00 USD each and are perfect for this.
  • About 6 feet of duct tape, I carry it wound around a golf pencil, it is about 1 inch in diameter.
  • A nano log scroll and a mag "blinky" nano container.
  • A few golf pencils.
  • A small spiral notebook as a replacement log in a larger cache.
  • About 7 different precut strips of ruled paper, cut from a 2-sided, laser-printed sheet of lines. From about 1/2 wide for bisons up to about 2.5 inches wide for match tubes.
  • A ziploc with a few sheets of paper towels for blotting logs dry or cleaning ammo can gaskets.

When I encounter a soaking wet log, I sometimes replace it, but if possible I place the old log in a new ziploc, then place a replacement log in a separate new ziploc. Most of the logs I have replaced by removing the old log have been nanos, and then I contact the CO per my previous post.

All of this takes up only a few cubic inches in my pack, adds maybe 6 or 8 ounces to my load, and cost me maybe $15 total to stock. I replace every perforated/damaged ziploc I find, even if the log isn't wet. I probably do "light maintenance" on 1 out of every 6 or 8 caches I find, and major maintenance on about 1 out of 50.

It takes a village, and part of the way we can all encourage more hiding, by more hiders, in more locations that are more remote and more difficult to access, is to help pick up the maintenance workload. I enjoy wilderness caching and that means sometimes caching in areas where it could take the hider many hours to get to and maintain the cache... and I am already there anyway, so it is a small gesture for me and huge one for them.

Edited by Sky King 36

I'm a newbie to all this stuff, but wouldn't a simple packet of desiccant in a cache help with the dampness? You know, those "DO NOT EAT CONTENTS OF PACKET" packets you find in all sorts of packaging and sorts. All the caches I've run across haven't had any, and I guess micros are hard enough to simply store the log, but bigger ones could hold a small packet or even desiccants that are small tubes to help bring the moisture down.

Edited by dcigary

I'm a newbie to all this stuff, but wouldn't a simple packet of desiccant in a cache help with the dampness? You know, those "DO NOT EAT CONTENTS OF PACKET" packets you find in all sorts of packaging and sorts. All the caches I've run across haven't had any, and I guess micros are hard enough to simply store the log, but bigger ones could hold a small packet or even desiccants that are small tubes to help bring the moisture down.

They might help, but only if the cache is maintained and the desiccant replaced or dried out. If they are exposed to a full-on drenching they usually turn to slimy goo.

I do often put these in ammo cans, just in case. Haven't seen one turn to goo yet, but that's largely due to effectiveness of the ammo can seal and nobody leaving the lid open (yet).

hudsonfam, I'd like to apologize if I came across as rude or insensitive to your question. I agree that caches do need to be maintained and kept dry- for all sorts of different reasons.

Edited by Castle Mischief

That is what I have done, and I also have never had a CO ask me for the log. Besides, its usually pretty tough to audit a log that has been wet enough to be permanantly removed, anyway.

We've seen plenty of logs that had completed degraded to a damp soggy mass. Even if the CO cared there would be no way to check for signatures short of bringing the mess to a forensics lab. We've also actually seen logs that had really weird spidery or spongy mold growing on them of various colors. Stuff like that probably does occur in nature but as a CO I certainly wouldn't want to be responsible for cultivating it and expecting someone to write on it.

However, if anyone finds that the weird molds don't make you sick but in fact cure something you have been suffering from for years, ends up being the next penicillin and saving humanity from an as-yet-unnamed future biological threat, now that would be some very positive publicity for geocaching.