Compasses

copperdoc1

Hi there, Im new to caching and just have a quick question. You see I have somewhat of an adventurous soul. That being said I would like to set some "more interesting caches" around my area. A few SCUBA, and maybe some others, on dry land, with orienteering directions. My questions are does anyone carry a magnetic compass with them, and would anyone find this as special equipment? Thanks for any input! CD

Putting a note in the cache description that a magnetic compass is needed would be courteous, but I would not consider it "special equipment" in an activity which centers around maps & finding direction.

Just be advised that they'll need to be classified as Unknown or Multi caches, depending on the layout, because they're not just a container placed at the coordinates given.

I've found quite a number of caches that said a compass was needed. None of them actually required a compass, at least not by a person who understands how to use a gps! Something that used the difference between true and magnetic north might work, in an area where that difference is significant.

Is it "special equipment" ..... I'd say maybe? ;-)

most cachers aren't carrying one, at least not in urban and "walk in the park" environments. I do, because the gps can fail (has failed) and I'd like to find my way outta the swamp.

Compass as special equipment - I'd vote "no"; but the cache can have a terrain/difficulty rating of 5 even without needing special equipment.

Consider these requirements: adequate boots, solid legs, lots of experience hiking rocky trails including 45 degrees slopes with loose rocks and rock faces with 60-70 degrees inclination. Special equipment? - No. Category 5 terrain? - Might be.

My wife and I both carry compasses in our geo bags. We did an orienteering cache a while back using a cheap compass (which was really a mistake). We did another cache that said you need to find a number on a post. That number was the number of feet you went at xxx degrees. In both cases, we needed the compass to actually find the caches. So, we always carry a compass now.

As to “special equipment” I would agree that the answer is no, but the cache page should definitely say that a compass is needed.

most cachers aren't carrying one, at least not in urban and "walk in the park" environments. I do, because the gps can fail (has failed) and I'd like to find my way outta the swamp.

Oddly, the best use for my compass IS in urban settings. (Yes. I try always to have a magnetic compass with me.) When I get out of the NYC subway, it can take a while for the GPS to pick up a signal. If I'm getting out of the 6, headed for Central Park, my magnetic compass will tell me which way is west!