Ammo Cans - Repainting them

its_crabapple

I have been poking around and not finding any sort of rules or guidelines in regards to Ammo Cans. -Other than 50MM are the best, and what they will hold.

Is it really necessary to repaint them as the Washington State Geocaching Associatation advocates? They suggest Black, Dark Grey, or Brown. With a Geocache emblem on the outside.

Mostly what I am wondering, is are there any circumstances where, other than personal judgement, a Ammo Can should not be used for a Cache? I ask this, as I am setting out to do my first cache. I have a Ammo Can, it's in darned good shape, and I am wanting to use it. But what "no-no's" are there when using an Ammo Can?

You don't need to paint it but you should get rid of the military markings on it. The guidelines say:

To reduce confusion and alarm when a cache is discovered accidentally, clearly label your container on the outside with appropriate information to say it is a geocache. Cover over any military markings with paint or a geocache sticker. Include an explanatory "stash note" inside your cache. Common sense in selecting hiding spots and containers can reduce the risk of your cache being perceived as a danger to those who are unaware of our sport.
Most people don't follow those guidelines but that is what they say.

Don't put an ammo can anywhere that might arise suspicion. (Like beside a school or stuck under a bridge with a magnet.)

I have been poking around and not finding any sort of rules or guidelines in regards to Ammo Cans. -Other than 50MM are the best, and what they will hold.

Is it really necessary to repaint them as the Washington State Geocaching Associatation advocates? They suggest Black, Dark Grey, or Brown. With a Geocache emblem on the outside.

Mostly what I am wondering, is are there any circumstances where, other than personal judgement, a Ammo Can should not be used for a Cache? I ask this, as I am setting out to do my first cache. I have a Ammo Can, it's in darned good shape, and I am wanting to use it. But what "no-no's" are there when using an Ammo Can?

I Use a little MEK or Acitone on a rag and the military markings come right off... then i Slap a Geocaching Sticker on it to rul out suspition, that matches the OD Green of the Ammo Can...

geostickerlarge.jpg

Mostly what I am wondering, is are there any circumstances where, other than personal judgement, a Ammo Can should not be used for a Cache?

Some land managers require transparent containers. The Army Corp of Engineers for instance. They manage recreational lands all over the U.S.

I've seen city and county park rules that limit to transparent containers.

I think the important thing is to cover the military markings and label it as a geocache. As far as any

other painting, that is up to you. I try to paint mine in a camo pattern to blend in with the area I'm

hiding it.

As far as where not to hide one, use common sense. Remember that they may appear threatening

to non geocachers who encounter them, so don't hide them any place they are likely to be

discovered and especially if their discovery can create alarm. Playgrounds, popular urban or surban parks,

most urban hides, close to roads, highways, anywhere near bridges

Just for the record, it's not 50MM. It's .50 Caliber or 50 Cal.

If I leave one in the woods, I may or may not camo paint. If it's going into a stump, I will not paint it. If it's going a little more urban (yeah right) I think I'll go clear lock-n-lock... or garlic container... or PB jar... or film can... or magnetic nano...

Ammo cans, painted or otherwise are normally very easy to find in the woods, just look under a POR or a POL, or just a pile of something. One of the best hide for a painted ammo can is to half bury in a low spot and cover just a bit , but always leave some of the can showing. this is a super method of hiding a large ammo can, tupper ware, or lock-in-locks..... and a sure way to get PO in the warm months....In this area I wait for the winter months to search in the woods. Happy caching and stay safe.....

Ammo cans, painted or otherwise are normally very easy to find in the woods, just look under a POR or a POL, or just a pile of something. One of the best hide for a painted ammo can is to half bury in a low spot and cover just a bit , but always leave some of the can showing. this is a super method of hiding a large ammo can, tupper ware, or lock-in-locks..... and a sure way to get PO in the warm months....In this area I wait for the winter months to search in the woods. Happy caching and stay safe.....

Your idea of half burying containers is a sure way to get the cache archived if a reviewer finds out about it. Digging is a guideline violation and not acceptable. Very bad advice to give newbies.

By the way I've encountered many well concealed ammo cans that took quite a bit of time to find. I know of one that has over 50 DNFs. None of them were half buried.

Edited by briansnat

Your idea of half burying containers is a sure way to get the cache archived if a reviewer finds out about it. Digging is a guideline violation and not acceptable. Very bad advice to give newbies.

By the way I've encountered many well concealed ammo cans that took quite a bit of time to find. I know of one that has over 50 DNFs. None of them were half buried.

I have one 50 cal can hidden that several have had trouble finding. It is on the trail side of a tree, but live ferns grow over that area. I can always see part of the can from the trail when I go to check on it. It is about ten feet off of the trail. I have another one that has fern camo painted on it. That seems to work well when hidden amongst the ferns. All of my ammo cans are painted in varying shades of very flat black, browns and tans to match the general shades of the area that it is placed in.

Just for the record, it's not 50MM. It's .50 Caliber or 50 Cal.

If I leave one in the woods, I may or may not camo paint. If it's going into a stump, I will not paint it. If it's going a little more urban (yeah right) I think I'll go clear lock-n-lock... or garlic container... or PB jar... or film can... or magnetic nano...

Sorry, type-o on my part. ;) I had MM on the brain. 9mm, 5.56mm, and then....

I have conceived a hide inspired by one I found recently, but with a twist. -A Microcache. I just need to sort out where to put it.

I have a 5.56mm Ammo Can, and I am cutting out stencils for it now. "Official Geocache" and "www.geocaching.com"

Edited by its_crabapple

One thing I might recommend would be to paint the can with the lid closed. Paint on the o-ring or the surface where the o-ring contacts can compromise the water-tightness. You can mask it with tape, but just painting with the lid closed is usually quicker.

As far as camouflaging goes... the goal is the break up the straight lines and to use colors that match the surroundings. Alternating (flat) brown and green blobs is a good start... after that you can take a few leaves from the area, set them on the surface and hit them with a few shots of flat black paint. The over-spray with create great shadows and further break up the outline.

Here's an example created by briansnat of what i'm talking about:

http://img.Groundspeak.com/track/ac6ec50c-...55820d952c4.jpg (warning, may be a spoiler)

Edited by Arrow42

Several stencils are available online and in other forums for cammo patterns and templates as alternative to stickers for Geocaching IDs - Google is your friend for this

From my own experience I've had acceptable success with stencils printed and cut from photo paper - I don't have ready access to inkjet film - using magnets to hold it down on the can whilst spraying

Also you might want to remove the lid and than turn the can over for painting if you want a complete paint scheme when the can is opened. Spray paint the outside of the lid separately before putting it back together.