pill bottle for GC

I have about 50 of them hidden as 'small caches' wrapped in glued-on camo cloth and wired to the targets, most are overhead but some are at the base of the target . . . all are on trails or woodsy hides that, as it turns out, can be challenging.

They are durable, not water-proof and inexpensive . . . you need to bag your log inside the container. Learned it the hard way by having to replace all of my logs.

They are definately not water tight.

If you want to see for yourself, just put a rock in one, and then a piece of kleenex, and sink it in a tub of water overnight. Check the kleenex in the morning.

If you need something that size, Nalgene (the makers of large hiking water bottles) also makes small water-tight bottles they sell for things, like shampoo, and the like. They sell these rather inexpensively (around 2 bucks) at REI outdoor recreation store. To be sure it's water-tight AND will stand up long-term useage, use Nalgene. (says on the bottom).

Other travel size containers that are sold at the drug store are cheap and will not hold up to outside elements. They'll break-down and crack. Nalgene ones will hold up for a long time.

I have about 50 of them hidden as 'small caches' wrapped in glued-on camo cloth and wired to the targets, most are overhead but some are at the base of the target . . . all are on trails or woodsy hides that, as it turns out, can be challenging.

They are durable, not water-proof and inexpensive . . . you need to bag your log inside the container. Learned it the hard way by having to replace all of my logs.

I'd think it would have to be an awfully large pill bottle to be a small. Most I've seen would be micros. Any container that relies on a ziplock to keep the log dry is, in my opinion, a poor choice as a container.

Found many of them, most have been dry. I still am not thrilled by them, but not sure why. Maybe because it shows a hider that is trying to get by without spending a dime? I dunno. But whatever you do, please disable the childproof feature. Generally you can do that with a simple slice with a pocket knife or razor blade.

I'd think it would have to be an awfully large pill bottle to be a small. Most I've seen would be micros. Any container that relies on a ziplock to keep the log dry is, in my opinion, a poor choice as a container.

Anything over 3 ounces is a small. If you have a larger pill bottle it will easily exceed the 3 ounces. I hate those pill bottles though.

Anything over 3 ounces is a small. If you have a larger pill bottle it will easily exceed the 3 ounces. I hate those pill bottles though.

Three ounces huh? Never saw that guideline. Am I to assume that three ounces is what an average film can holds? Most pill bottles are closer to the size of a film can than a sandwich container. I believe 1 litter is mention for a small in the guidelines. There in lies the problem with the size descriptions. They leave much to the interpretation of the individual cacher. Though I have no idea what would be a better system.

Cache Sizes

These sizes apply to all caches that have a physical container.

* Micro (35 mm film canister or smaller – less than approximately 3 ounces or .1 L – typically containing only a logbook or a logsheet)

* Small (sandwich-sized plastic container or similar – less than approximately 1 quart or 1 L – holds trade items as well as a logbook)

* Regular (plastic container or ammo can about the size of a shoebox)

* Large (5 gallon/20 L bucket or larger)

---

I also hate finding a "small" that is a pill bottle. Not all pill bottles are smalls. Many are micros. The volume just varies.

Edited by Knight2000

that's suprising! not that waterproof!

Not that surprising. They are designed to keep pills organized, out of the hands of chilruns, and protect them from the harsh climate of the average medicine cabinet, not to protect pills from the elements.

You would think they could keep moisture out, but then again that is answered by the "store in a COOL, DRY place" label! :blink::D

Edited by the_bell_dingers

Cache Sizes

These sizes apply to all caches that have a physical container.

* Micro (35 mm film canister or smaller – less than approximately 3 ounces or .1 L – typically containing only a logbook or a logsheet)

* Small (sandwich-sized plastic container or similar – less than approximately 1 quart or 1 L – holds trade items as well as a logbook)

* Regular (plastic container or ammo can about the size of a shoebox)

* Large (5 gallon/20 L bucket or larger)

---

I also hate finding a "small" that is a pill bottle. Not all pill bottles are smalls. Many are micros. The volume just varies.

See? Let that be a lesson to you! It never hurts to reread those things.

Still, I'd be hard pressed to list the average pill bottle as a small. When I am done with these anti-biotics I'll measure the volume. I won't use the bottle as a cache container.

Edit 'cause I forgot to put a couple of those laughing thing-a-ma-bobs in there. So just stick these someplace appropriate. :blink::D:D:):)

Edited by GOF & Bacall

Don't forget to tip your waitress.

I did, she slapped me.

I do take some pills which are big enough that the bottles needed for a month's supply would be a "Small", IMO. I try not to use them as cache containers.

Hmmn? Perhaps you used the wrong definition of "tip" as your starting point. You didn't by chance cause her feet to be separated from contact with the floor? It isn't the same as cow tipping.

Don't forget to tip your waitress.

I did, she slapped me.

I do take some pills which are big enough that the bottles needed for a month's supply would be a "Small", IMO. I try not to use them as cache containers.

Hmmn? Perhaps you used the wrong definition of "tip" as your starting point. You didn't by chance cause her feet to be separated from contact with the floor? It isn't the same as cow tipping.

Nothing related to cows on either end that I know of. Floor contact is not confirmable since my head was doing an "Exorcist" type thing at the time.

Waitresses have good reflexes, apparently.

Some of the industrial size vitamin bottles (e.g., those monsters for calcium supplements) would likely qualify as small for most people. My only problem with them is that the mouth is so much smaller than the body, and if the log "unrolls" itself inside, they can be a real PITA to get out at times.

Many, many, many years ago, I was once a stockboy at a drug store. Pill Bottles are measured in drams, whatever the heck that is. :laughing:Here is a prescription pill bottle manufacturers website. A 60 dram pill bottle is almost 5 inches long, and a little over 2 inches in diameter. I'd really consider that a "small". Am I nuts here?

And yeah, I agree with most in the thread, not a very good container for the outdoors.

Found many of them, most have been dry. I still am not thrilled by them, but not sure why. Maybe because it shows a hider that is trying to get by without spending a dime? I dunno. But whatever you do, please disable the childproof feature. Generally you can do that with a simple slice with a pocket knife or razor blade.

Maybe it has to do with the fact that most of them have very thin necks and you have to pry the log out with a knife or other sharp object.

I find some pill bottles ok and some complete trash. I think it's a case by case basis.

the mouth is so much smaller than the body, and if the log "unrolls" itself inside, they can be a real PITA to get out

In another thread, someone posted a rather simple and ingenious solution to making logs easier to remove from bottles whose openings are significantly smaller than their bodies: Cut a piece of PVC pipe just a bit shorter than the bottle and the rolled up log. Roll the log up and slip it into the pipe. Drop the pipe into the bottle. To extract it, you simply tip the bottle and the log/PVC slides right out. I thought it was kinda kewl.

the mouth is so much smaller than the body, and if the log "unrolls" itself inside, they can be a real PITA to get out

In another thread, someone posted a rather simple and ingenious solution to making logs easier to remove from bottles whose openings are significantly smaller than their bodies: Cut a piece of PVC pipe just a bit shorter than the bottle and the rolled up log. Roll the log up and slip it into the pipe. Drop the pipe into the bottle. To extract it, you simply tip the bottle and the log/PVC slides right out. I thought it was kinda kewl.

Assuming we're talking about rating that mega pill bottle rated as a "small", as was my original hope/point, how the heck to get the PVC back in with any swag in the way? Seems like all it would really hold without hassle is the PVC and the log inside. I'm not picturing it.
It doesn't really matter what anyone "thinks". It is either < 3ounce or >3 ounces. I suppose exactly 3 ounces would be a small according to the guidelines.
Now you see how my table comes into beautiful, almost perfect and complete relevance! To wit:

Micro: Equal to or less than .1 liters/3 fluid ounces/6 cu inches.

Small: More than .1 liters/3 fluid ounces/6 cu inches, but less than 1.0 liter/32 fluid ounces/61 cu inches.

Regular: More than 1.0 liter/32 fluid ounces/61 cu inches, but less than 20 liters/5 gallons/1,220 cu inches.

Large: 20 liters/5 gallons/1,220 cu inches or greater in volume.

Genius, no?