cache in a cemetery

mchaos

So recently I put a cache in a cemetery. Its not hidden near any graves or anything, but the reviewer left a reviewer note asking where it was hidden because they did not want it on or near graves.

This is fine to me, but that got me thinking. When I die, I totally want to have a hidden compartment in my tombstone that has a cache and log, and want some one to post my last cache.

I think that would be cool. I would have a lot of visitors!

Wonder if a reviewer would have a problem with that. But its a moot point as I am only 30, and hope that I don't die for a long time. But when I do, that is going to be one of my last requests.

What are your thoughts on that??

So recently I put a cache in a cemetery. Its not hidden near any graves or anything, but the reviewer left a reviewer note asking where it was hidden because they did not want it on or near graves.

This is fine to me, but that got me thinking. When I die, I totally want to have a hidden compartment in my tombstone that has a cache and log, and want some one to post my last cache.

Wonder if a reviewer would have a problem with that. But its a moot point as I am only 30, and hope that I don't die for a long time. But when I do, that is going to be one of my last requests.

I think you ought to start saving your money... I imagine that might be a pretty expensive gravestone!

Well,, I was kinda thinking of having my ashes sent to orbit. Kinda tough to incorporate a Geocache into that :laughing:

holy mowly

A cacher would need an awful lot of bottle rockets to get off the ground to retrieve that one!!! That reminds me of the time I called Nasa.

I going a little off topic with this but it was a good time. At the time, me and a friend on lunch were talking about car audio and how to make a system louder, (I used to compete in sound off's). My friend said, Air isn't the best conductor of sound any way. So jokingly I said lets suck the air out, (which we both determined wouldn't work at all because there would be nothing to carry the sound at all.), but that lead to the question of how to get a perfect vacuum in my blazer. Well I said we would have to send it into space and open the doors, then bring it back. Of course he said "how the hell will you get it into space and back?" So I said, "I am going to call Nasa." Well I took out my phone and it got a good laugh, but I continued with it. Called information. Got a number for Nasa, then called that.

Well It took me getting transferred several times before we got some one that could answer my question. About 4 or 5 people. Finally I got a woman who was very accommodating. She answered every question sincerely.

Basically I told her I had an experiment I wanted to try to try and get a perfect vacuum on earth and that I had a container that I wanted sent up. Opened then sealed, and brought back to have a vacuum inside.

There was a lot of discussion and when she said it would depend on how heavy the container is and how big etc.. I said, well I can look in the manual to see how heavy my blazer is and I can get out my tape measure. She stopped for a second, and then asked, "Your blazer?" and I told her, "yeah, I want to send my blazer into space."

I have to give her credit, because she stayed professional even after that. She also got a kick out of when I asked her how many bottle rockets does she think I need to launch it my self. She laughed and then told me that She didn't think all the bottle rockets in the world would do it.

I think I brightened her day because near the end she seemed to enjoy the conversation.

Any way getting back on topic, the question is not how much it will cost, but do you think a reviewer would have a problem with the hide???

besides I got plenty of time to save for that tombstone lol.

I want one too! I've been trying to think of way to make that happen.

Maybe if the reviewer got a copy of one's will where the instructions were there...

The custom marker stone sounds like an awesome way to honor a geocacher who's passed. Unfortunately, I'm not trying to be a downer, but quite a few US states have laws against recreational activities such as geocaching inside cemeteries. You might want to check with your local reviewer before springing for the marker :laughing:

As for the Blazer story... the real question is, "How many beers will it take to get my Blazer launched into space?" If you drink enough beer, you can do anything.

The custom marker stone sounds like an awesome way to honor a geocacher who's passed. Unfortunately, I'm not trying to be a downer, but quite a few US states have laws against recreational activities such as geocaching inside cemeteries. You might want to check with your local reviewer before springing for the marker :laughing:

Or skip the cemetary and get buried somewhere else - or might actually figure into which cemetary you choose......

I kind of like this one: http://www.medicinebow.org/index.php?optio...y&Itemid=66

cemetary.jpg

Surely nobody would object to a few cachers here - not like they are going to tear up the grass or something.....

Edited by StarBrand

While an interesting thought, the answer to the real issue is not so much a reviewer having a problem with the cache placement (however, hopefully we all want to avoid situations that could reflect badly on geocaching) as much as it is an issue of local laws regarding the matter. Some states specifically have laws against having geocaches anywhere in the borders of the cemetery, while others (becase of the wording of the laws) only prohibit them "on or near graves". While we don't know what your local laws are, it sounds very much like the reviewer was doing an excellent job of doing their job and ensuring that the cache placement was actually legal.

While an interesting thought, the answer to the real issue is not so much a reviewer having a problem with the cache placement (however, hopefully we all want to avoid situations that could reflect badly on geocaching) as much as it is an issue of local laws regarding the matter. Some states specifically have laws against having geocaches anywhere in the borders of the cemetery, while others (becase of the wording of the laws) only prohibit them "on or near graves". While we don't know what your local laws are, it sounds very much like the reviewer was doing an excellent job of doing their job and ensuring that the cache placement was actually legal.

As with many claims such as this I would like to know which states have laws about caches in cemeteries and/or "on or near graves". I would not be surprised if these laws do exist but I can't recall hearing of them or reading about them.

While it may not be a 'law' here Illinois, our local reviewer requires the cache to be placed outside the cemetery boundaries unless permission is obtained. Perhaps there is a 'law' that varies from cemetery to cemetery, but here it is up to the reviewers. This is a reviewer note I received from one of the first cemetery hides I was going to place.

Because of issues that have arisen is some areas, Groundspeak has told the reviewers that they should set the individual policy about cemetery placements for their review areas. Thus, the policy on cemetery hides varies from area to area. Here in Northern Illinois, IL Reviewer decided that permission would be required before a placement in a cemetery could be listed. This has been the policy here for some time.
Edited by mfamilee

We have a very cool cache in a cemetery here in Diego.

A cacher created a memorial cache for her father at the foot of his plot. She has a small granite bench about 3-feet long and two feet off the ground. Under the bench she bolted a Simplex lock box. To get the combo you read info off the tombstone.

As with many claims such as this I would like to know which states have laws about caches in cemeteries and/or "on or near graves". I would not be surprised if these laws do exist but I can't recall hearing of them or reading about them.

While we do NOT claim to be any expert on the matter--especially since it is not a local issue for us--the following is just ONE example of such laws. In this case it is taken from the Tennessee State Code:

"No person shall willfully destroy, deface, or injure any monument, tomb, gravestone, or other structure placed in the cemetery, or any roadway, walk, fence or enclosure in or around the cemetery, or injure any tree, plant or shrub, or hunt or shoot, play at any game or amusement, or loiter for lascivious or lewd purposes in the cemetery, or interfere, by words or actions, with any funeral procession or any religious exercises."

Perhaps others will more expertise may be able to provide more examples and/or details.

Wow, I think that law in TN is crazy! Cemeteries have often been considered places to have picnics and other family gatherings. They shouldn't be places to fear, they should be places to enjoy and rejoice in the memories of those who have passed before us. All of the damage and vandalism parts make sense to me. The rest is crazy. ;)

And I enjoy cemetery caches. They always help to remind me of the many wonderful people who have lived on this Earth before me.

Thanks for warning me. I don't do cemetery caches. On the Ignore List.

You know, instead of contributing something helpful to the discussion, you just have to be snarky.....

Anyway, back on topic. Like everyone else has said, a check of local laws and rules set down by cemetery owners is the first priority. There is a memorial cache around us that sits on the boundary of the cemetery right behind (about 3 feet) a cacher that passed away, so it has been done. Personally, I'd have one placed on my plot in a heartbeat. I want people to remember me for the fun stuff. I'm even going to put it in my will that everyone has to throw a party when I die, and make it like a roast. No use crying...

*on second thought, the image was a bit much...*

Edited by Cpl. Klinger

You know, instead of contributing something helpful to the discussion, you just have to be snarky.....

Snarky? Well, I can be. ;) OP is local. He lives about six miles west of me. I don't do cemetery caches. That's been established. You may choose to do them for whatever your reasons are. I choose not to do them for whatever my reasons are. I thanked him for the warning. Cache is on my ignore list.

A very good friend of mine hid a cache with the first waypoint in a cemetery. He e-mailed me to ask if that would bother me? I responded that Yes. I would not be doing that cache, and thanks for your concern. He understood.

So, it would seem to me that you are the one being snarky. It seems that you are incapable of understanding other cachers sensibilities. Oh, well.

We have a very cool cache in a cemetery here in Diego.

A cacher created a memorial cache for her father at the foot of his plot. She has a small granite bench about 3-feet long and two feet off the ground. Under the bench she bolted a Simplex lock box. To get the combo you read info off the tombstone.

There is one somewhere near us, I have never seen it, might be an urban geocaching legend or something; but the person who died was a cacher and knew they were facing their end with cancer. Had it arranged to have a multi set up in the cemetary and had his tombstone engraved with one of the set of co-ords. Kinda cool...I personally want to be perserved, have a TB attached to me and ship me around to be discovered at all the events I will miss.

When I die, I totally want to have a hidden compartment in my tombstone that has a cache and log, and want some one to post my last cache.

Hmm.

You might have a problem maintaining your cache unless you took out the Baron Samedi funeral plan... ;)

Mike

Snarky? Well, I can be. :rolleyes: OP is local. He lives about six miles west of me. I don't do cemetery caches. That's been established. You may choose to do them for whatever your reasons are. I choose not to do them for whatever my reasons are. I thanked him for the warning. Cache is on my ignore list.

A very good friend of mine hid a cache with the first waypoint in a cemetery. He e-mailed me to ask if that would bother me? I responded that Yes. I would not be doing that cache, and thanks for your concern. He understood.

So, it would seem to me that you are the one being snarky. It seems that you are incapable of understanding other cachers sensibilities. Oh, well.

You missed the whole point of my comment... Your whole post contributed nothing to the discussion. Nothing. Not one iota. It falls under the whole "If you can't say anything nice, why say anything?" column to me. Granted, I have no real problem with the way anyone else plays the game. I don't care if all you want to do is skirt lifters (thought I may secretly question your sanity...), go for it. Good for you. But if you're gonna post something, make it meaningful. Your post was like dropping a TNLNSL TFTC on a 5/5 with a beautiful view.

/end soapbox

You missed the whole point of my comment... Your whole post contributed nothing to the discussion. Nothing. Not one iota. It falls under the whole "If you can't say anything nice, why say anything?" column to me. Granted, I have no real problem with the way anyone else plays the game. I don't care if all you want to do is skirt lifters (thought I may secretly question your sanity...), go for it. Good for you. But if you're gonna post something, make it meaningful. Your post was like dropping a TNLNSL TFTC on a 5/5 with a beautiful view.

/end soapbox

And yours did? :rolleyes:

Wow, I think that law in TN is crazy! Cemeteries have often been considered places to have picnics and other family gatherings. They shouldn't be places to fear, they should be places to enjoy and rejoice in the memories of those who have passed before us. All of the damage and vandalism parts make sense to me. The rest is crazy. ;)

And I enjoy cemetery caches. They always help to remind me of the many wonderful people who have lived on this Earth before me.

The TN law bans "play at any game or amusement", which is generic. A few years ago the esteemed state representatives in the great state of South Carolina tried to pass a law that would specifically outlaw geocaching and letterboxing in cemeteries.

Summary:

A BILL

TO AMEND THE CODE OF LAWS OF SOUTH CAROLINA, 1976, BY ADDING SECTION 16-17-605 SO AS TO DEFINE THE TERMS "GEOCACHE", "GEOCACHING", AND "LETTERBOXING", TO PROVIDE THAT IT IS UNLAWFUL TO ENGAGE IN GEOCACHING OR LETTERBOXING IN CEMETERIES, ARCHEOLOGICAL SITES, OR ON THE HISTORIC PROPERTIES OF THE STATE, AND TO PROVIDE A PENALTY

It's been stuck in committee for over 4 years, but it's still floating around out there.