harder then I thought

brwdkw98

A week ago I never heard of geocaching. In a week I have been all over the web reading and watching videos about it. I am really shocked that stuff has been hidden so close to me. I go out on my first two hunts today, and guess what, I come up a big zero. I'm almost ready to give up before I waist anymore time. Is there some big trick or am I just not getting it. I looked and looked read the clues and na da. Does everyone one else fail for a while or just me.

A week ago I never heard of geocaching. In a week I have been all over the web reading and watching videos about it. I am really shocked that stuff has been hidden so close to me. I go out on my first two hunts today, and guess what, I come up a big zero. I'm almost ready to give up before I waist anymore time. Is there some big trick or am I just not getting it. I looked and looked read the clues and na da. Does everyone one else fail for a while or just me.

hi there ive been here about a week and have already found 24, sounds a great number till i tell you there are 4 that i couldnt find. it might be a case once you seen what different caches look like that you know what you are looking for. Have a look up on youtube for hiding geocaches and you will see why you might be missing them. :wub:

It's just you :wub:

Seriously, everyone "fails" for a while. I missed my first two caches, then found the third. It took me several months before I eventually found the first one, which was a VERY hard-to-find nano cache.

Classic tips:

- Start with small/regular caches. Micros can be very hard.

- Stick to easy caches (difficulty of 2 or less)

- Go caching with a friend. It's amazing how much an extra set of eyes helps.

Good luck!

Does everyone one else fail for a while or just me.

My first find was an ammo can, in the woods. I had never used the GPS compass to find waypoints, and hadn't tried it under trees. So I wandered around a half acre for a while. But I found the first 2 caches I hunted for.

You should start out with easy caches. Look for ones that have a lot of logs, with no "Did Not Finds" (DNF), or only 1 or 2 DNFs, and which have been found recently. Look at the star rating of the cache, and go for 1-star difficulty. Try "Regular" size caches or larger. If you're in a big city, you may have mostly "Micros", and that can be frustrating.

But if you can't find a cache, type brief log with your DNF. It's possible that the cache is not there anymore, and unless there's a log, people won't know there's a problem.

There are several that I just cannot seem to find (and one's a Large cache). So if I had started with those, I'd be in the same boat you are -- wondering what's wrong.

Bear in mind that GPS accuracy varies wildly by conditions, and the reading can shift again while you walk.

Read the cache pages, look for easy ones, be sure there's a good description and clue, be sure you know in advance generally where you're going to look, and look at the "Satellite Image" on the map (count how many trees to the cache, or estimate distance from landmarks). You'll be finding them in no time!

Edited by kunarion

About those first 2 you didn't find...

I often get useful information from reading the cache logs, or viewing the photos. Particularly after you've been to the general area, you may have a better plan of attack. You can also write to the cache owner, for a hint.

Edited by kunarion

I have tried GC18NWO and GC168GK

These are in areas that travel by everyday so I wanted to use them mainly to compare what I know to what the gps was telling me. I was also very nervous of all the traffic but it didn't stop me from looking. It's hot, I'm new and I got upset. I posted before reading around so now I know that I'm not the only newb having issues. I thought wow the perfect hobby for me and my wife and even friends but got too excited and ran head first into a wall. Thanks for any help

These are in areas that travel by everyday so I wanted to use them mainly to compare what I know to what the gps was telling me.

I'd give those 2 a rest and try the next closest. Those are little ones, the kind of cache that hates me -- if that's all there were, I'd never manage to find any. And one of those may even be missing (see the log).

If you like a challenge, wait til someone else finds them (so you know all is well), and after you've found some and gotten a little GeoSense of where to look, go back and score those two. And I shall one day go back find that really Large cache that I once DNF'd. Count on it.

Edited by kunarion

Hmm... the first one

GC18NWO--a small magnetic cache that is a park n grab ---Additional Hints: over not under

**My guess is that it is on top of something and not under it (as the hint says)

**It is also a 2 star difficulty, so there might be some tricky camoflage or under some hanging vegatation

or something

**also...it is a micro magnetic so it is attached to something metallic

**sounds like one of mine, which I rated a 2 star and is a magnetic micro

The second one

GC168GK--is a small camoed rated 2 and half star*** which means it will be harder

The location is also hard...he says that too..

The hint is: not on terra firma.***...so it is not on the ground...probably hanging with a coat hanger hook "hidden in the nearby flora" as he says.

***Hopefully the GPS reading for GZ (ground zero is right on)....so to verify this I read the logs...most people say it is Ok...***

One log says:

8/3/2008 by xxxxx; Blah, Blah, Blah....Took a little bit of searching to find it.

Lots of possible hiding spots and cammo is well done.

Finally made the retrieve and sign, and then it is back on I-35 heading home.

Another log says: GPS was working pretty good this time around and we found the cache easily. TFTC, TN, LN, SL

So to conclude, take your time and learn the tricks of the trade. When I first started, I remember looking at everything around a lampost until I accidently found out that the skirt or cover lifted up and people put micro caches in there. Now I just run up to them and grab the thing and go back to the car to sign it.

Aloha

We found our first one a while ago not even looking for it. We forgot about it for awhile and now are back into it. So funny how they are all over! So many I have past driving down the road.

so far having good luck but have not tried any that are too hard.

Keep looking...its so fun

I have tried GC18NWO and GC168GK.....

Both of these caches are pretty small, and rated 2 and 2 1/2 meaning that they aren't the easiest caches to find.

Just remember, there is no shame in a "did not find". Look at the log that was posted for GC168GK 2 days before your log. That cacher has over 2000 finds and still couldn't find it. In fact, that one hasn't had a successful find since back in May. It is just possible that one isn't there anymore.

And that successful log on May 22 includes a picture of the finder holding the cache container, so at least you will know EXACTLY what you are looking for if you try again.

It happens to us all.

Keep on caching as long as you are having fun. For me at least, that is the main thing.

Edited by the3gmen

I believe this is the nicest forum I've ever been on. Thank you to all that replied, everything said made so much sence. I will start paying more attention. In hindsight may have picked a couple that I was not ready for or as stated may not be there anymore. I can't wait to give it another go.

Logging a DNF can be as much fun, if not more, than logging a find.

Think about it.... you get a chance to spin a wild tale of how you looked, and searched, and applied all kinds of logical thinking, only to be outsmarted by someone, OR.... the skeeters were so thick that you had to give up before becoming a feast for them. (This actually happened to myself, gorillagal and The Doll today.)

Then when you go back and search again...... once more a chance for a great story about making the find..... unless you got stumped AGAIN! :)

You may want to pick a nice park or nature preserve with some larger caches with lower difficulties. It's a lot less stressful (for me anyway) to find caches in this kind of setting because there's usually no one else around.

Also check out other threads in this section of the forum. There's a bunch of advice on hunting for caches!

I am also very new to this and I advise you pick ones with a difficulty of 1 and a terrain of 1 or 2. Also pick an area that is quiet and private as not to rush yourself. It is hard enough to look for something when you do not know how big it is or what color it is and be panicked at the same time. Do not give up this is a great sport!!!

The Big E and I started a month ago. We've found most of the caches we've looked for. Some we haven't found...yet. And then there are a couple that, well, we just plain gave up on ever finding. Maybe one day we'll attack them again, but in the meantime we bolster our egos with a few easier finds.

It is certainly true that the more you cache, the better you get at it. My personal experience is that urban caches are more difficult overall than rural ones. This is due, I think, to the muggle factor and the size of the cache being small to micro. This is a generalization and obviously is not always true, but you get the idea.

I guess the best thing is to just keep caching and let your experiences guide you.

We still do the easier caches, not just to get the smilies but because we enjoy the hunt, using our brains (which sometimes fail us) and getting easier exercise (my back and leg can cope with that!)

Enjoy your experiences, and remember....geocaching isn't just about the arrival at a cache, it's about the journey too. We have had some hilarious times, even when we've DNFd.

Good Luck, and Happy Caching!!

Enjoy your experiences, and remember....geocaching isn't just about the arrival at a cache, it's about the journey too. We have had some hilarious times, even when we've DNFd.

This is part of it for me too. Yesterday as we were hiking along I saw a sign in a parking lot that made me laugh. You've all seen them... "Slow Speed Bump". Now what I laughed at was..... Are there any Fast Speed Bumps?

Later on we passed a picnic table and trash barrel. Wouldn't you know it, the park department had put a sign on a post, "Picnic Area". Well, DUH!!! and I said to my partner "Have we become such a dumb society that we have to be told this is a picnic area?" We talked about it, joked about it, and shook our heads as we walked away.

Sure we made most of our finds, we hiked a bunch of miles, but it was the sights along the way that made this interesting.

Here are some general hints:

Look for caches with a difficulty of 2 or less for your fist few caches. Stick with regular sized caches for your first few. Micros can be quite hard to find sometimes. Stick to areas you are familiar with. Look for anything out of place or unusual. Look for unusual piles of sticks, grass, leaves, rocks, sand, etc. Feel where you cannot look. Think vertical, not all caches are on the ground. Look up or at eye level. Look for traces of previous searches to zero in on the spot. Think like the hider - where would you put a container in this location? Look for things too new, too old, too perfect, not like the others, too many, too few. Change your perspective - a shift in lighting can sometimes reveal a cache. Keep in mind that many micros are magnetic or attached to something (via string, wire etc). Slowly expand your search area to about 40 feet from where your GPS says ground zero is. Bring garden gloves and a flashlight - they help! Be prepared to not find the cache more often then you think.

Most of all - have fun!!

25....! My guess is you figured it out. :-)

I did the same thing when I looked for my first micro. I'd found a couple peanut butter jars in the woods, etc, and went to get a micro that was just around the corner from me. Well, on my 3rd visit, I finally found the darned thing. I even emailed the cache owner and suggested maybe it was gone. They took a swing by, nope, still there.

I'd open the cache page up and see new logs.

"easy find..."

"Spotted this one before I got out of the car..."

AGHHHH!

Anyway, the reason I had such a hard time finding it was because I (like you) went at it too quick and never actually figured out what I was looking for, or how to look. I just looked, for...something.

Once you have a bunch under your belt (and you have 25 so far) you'll start to 'think' like a geocache, and the finding will become much easier.

And you have to remember, urban caches are usually hidden WELL, so as to not be found accidentally and muggled.

I searched ebay for cache containers and was amazed (amazed, I tell you!) at the variety of caches out there. I suggest you take a tour yourself before looking for micro caches. I would never have thought of using a hollowed out bolt, a magnetic sign, or a buffalo tube (didn't even know what one was before I checked ebay out) stuck in the end of a stick.

Don't be too worried. Our first time, we really didn't know how to use our GPS, didn't know that we could narrow the area down to within 20 ft! Then when we figured that out, we had NO clue what to look for. Fortunately, a friend that was riding along spotted our first find under some rocks and that was all it took. Once you find one you will have a general idea. So hang in there, it is SOOOOOO much FUN!!!

I was in the same boat earlier today on my first ever cache - I finally got within a stone's throw of the cache, then spent about twenty minutes crashing through the brush before I turned and saw the cache (a small Altoids-like container) nestled in a guardrail.

Oh.

Remember to look carefully in the most obvious places before dismissing them!

Also helpful are the logs of more experienced geocachers - try reading what they're posted about a certain cache if you're having trouble!

Is it just me, or does it seem a lot more folks who are new to geocaching are complaining right from the start if they don't find the first couple of caches they are looking for? There are certainly enough topics on getting started, but a new one pops up every couple of days. Yeah, I know, I don't have to read them. But, whatever happened to being patient?

I've just started out as well and it has been pretty tough. I've gone to around 5 different cache's with no luck. I've never used a GPS before and I am not great at it. But every different time is a learning experience. The way I figure is that if it were easy, anyone could find it. You see a lot of seasoned members talking about how they just have a sense when it comes to finding caches, and that is something that comes with a lot of practice.

It gets frustrating when you put so much effort in and don't see results right away, but it is the nature of the game. The second you allow it to stop being fun then there really isn't any point.

I went to a cache the other day and spent an hour with a friend trudging through smelly water and getting eaten up by bugs and we still couldn't find the damned thing, but when we stopped and looked around we realized that we had been brought somewhere we otherwise never would have gone and that alone made the trip worth while.

Plus I know the first time I actually find one it is going to be the epicest thing ever.

I've just started out as well and it has been pretty tough. I've gone to around 5 different cache's with no luck. I've never used a GPS before and I am not great at it. But every different time is a learning experience. The way I figure is that if it were easy, anyone could find it. You see a lot of seasoned members talking about how they just have a sense when it comes to finding caches, and that is something that comes with a lot of practice.

It gets frustrating when you put so much effort in and don't see results right away, but it is the nature of the game. The second you allow it to stop being fun then there really isn't any point.

I went to a cache the other day and spent an hour with a friend trudging through smelly water and getting eaten up by bugs and we still couldn't find the damned thing, but when we stopped and looked around we realized that we had been brought somewhere we otherwise never would have gone and that alone made the trip worth while.

Plus I know the first time I actually find one it is going to be the epicest thing ever.

As long as your still having fun - thats the important part!!

Check out my general advice for finding caches above......