I see "geocachers" everywhere!

Ever since my family started geocaching, I swear every time we're approaching GZ and see people nearby, I swear they must be geocaching too. If I see someone lurking around a payphone or light pole, I wonder if they're searching for a cache.

While I realize there are a lot of us around and some of my local caches have been found hundreds of times, I'm sure there's a very slim chance we'd actually be at a cache at the same time as someone else, but sometimes the actions of people are just so suspicious now! lol

Do you see geocachers everywhere, too, or is it just a newbie fascination thing?

Do you see geocachers everywhere, too, or is it just a newbie fascination thing?

Nope .. but I (and my family) see potential geocache spots everywhere. We can't drive by a ravine anymore without at least one person saying "That would be a good place for a geocache,"

A few times we've wondered if the other people near GZ were cachers but when we've later checked the online logs, there haven't been any from them. Guess they were muggles acting suspiciously while trying to be stealthy while walking their dog.

:cool:

Nope .. but I (and my family) see potential geocache spots everywhere. We can't drive by a ravine anymore without at least one person saying "That would be a good place for a geocache,"

A few times we've wondered if the other people near GZ were cachers but when we've later checked the online logs, there haven't been any from them. Guess they were muggles acting suspiciously while trying to be stealthy while walking their dog.

:cool:

We're almost like that, but ours is usually "Hey, there's a cache there." Then we wax poetic about how good/bad of a hide it was. Funny, even after 600 finds, we still remember about 95% of em, even the skirt lifters.

Ever since my family started geocaching, I swear every time we're approaching GZ and see people nearby, I swear they must be geocaching too. If I see someone lurking around a payphone or light pole, I wonder if they're searching for a cache.

While I realize there are a lot of us around and some of my local caches have been found hundreds of times, I'm sure there's a very slim chance we'd actually be at a cache at the same time as someone else, but sometimes the actions of people are just so suspicious now! lol

I've been to less than 100 cache sites and run into 3 cachers/group of cachers that I know of for sure. (2 cache sites in a row yesterday) We introduced ourselves when we were sure. There have been maybe a half dozen other times when I wondered if they were cachers or not. I don't ask if I don't know.

I'm sure there's a very slim chance we'd actually be at a cache at the same time as someone else,

This happens more often then you might think. I've ran into other cachers several times.

Although I usually cache alone, (just me and my dogs.) I am a social person. I enjoy meeting others who share the same interest I do. Every time I have run into fellow cachers it has added a great deal of enjoyment to the day. Even if we are going in opposite directions, one to the cache and one away. :cool: A pause on the trail to say hi is great. Sharing the hunt with someone you meet at the site even better.

Edited by uxorious
I'm sure there's a very slim chance we'd actually be at a cache at the same time as someone else,

This happens more often then you might think. I've ran into other cachers several times.

Although I usually cache alone, (just me and my dogs.) I am a social person. I enjoy meeting others who share the same interest I do. Every time I have run into fellow cachers it has added a great deal of enjoyment to the day. Even if we are going in opposite directions, one to the cache and one away. ;) A pause on the trail to say hi is great. Sharing the hunt with someone you meet at the site even better.

Ok, I'm getting us all geocaching.com logo hats to wear while geocaching so it's very clear to fellow GCers what we're doing and I think everyone else should, too! :P I agree with you about being social and I've wanted so bad to ask some of the people we've seen, but there was nothing to "prove" that they were actually GCers. Maybe we need a universal secret hand signal/wave. :wub:

Although I usually cache alone, (just me and my dogs.) I am a social person. I enjoy meeting others who share the same interest I do. Every time I have run into fellow cachers it has added a great deal of enjoyment to the day. Even if we are going in opposite directions, one to the cache and one away. ;) A pause on the trail to say hi is great. Sharing the hunt with someone you meet at the site even better.

Ok, I'm getting us all geocaching.com logo hats to wear while geocaching so it's very clear to fellow GCers what we're doing and I think everyone else should, too! :P I agree with you about being social and I've wanted so bad to ask some of the people we've seen, but there was nothing to "prove" that they were actually GCers. Maybe we need a universal secret hand signal/wave. :wub:

yeah, it's called a GPSr in hand, or up you your ear as a really ugly phone.

Ok, I'm getting us all geocaching.com logo hats to wear while geocaching so it's very clear to fellow GCers what we're doing and I think everyone else should, too!

I have the Geocaching hat, with logo. Also have the license plate frame, and a window sticker. Not real hard to tell what I'm up to if you run into me. :wub:

We were on vacation in hawaii and did not have our car tag. We were driving and some guy was driving like a jerk so we flipped him off and he sped off past us. As he passed we saw he had a trackable car tag on his car. We felt like jerks. Today we were hiking and a guy stopped us and asked where he would pop out if he follows the trail and i didnt think anything about it. After he was gone my wife was like " i think he was a cacher". apparently he had a gps and really seemed to be one

:wub:

I have leaned now that the, "oh, that would be a good place for a cache" reflex is some what of a waste of time, doesn't matter if it's a good place or not, if there is another cache nearby, or worse and unpublished coord from a mystery or final stage of a cache less than 161m from where you think is a good spot, you can't place one no matter, no way, no how, I've tried... Now the "oh, that would be a good place for a cache" reflex is quickly followed by the, I'll get the coords, and check the site, and even run them past the reviewer to see.

Lot of extra work if you ask me, but those I have been told (and told off) are the rules... So enjoy the car ride without becoming neurotic (LOL)... Don't make me have to come back theree...

Edited by docbosh

We rarely see other cachers on the trail unless there's a series of caches that get published in a concentrated area or an "epic" type cache with high ratings and you go the first weekend after they come out. Then you'll likely see a few others attempting them or it.

Also for new caches, you'll sometimes meet others if you're trying for the FTF.

We were on vacation in hawaii and did not have our car tag. We were driving and some guy was driving like a jerk so we flipped him off and he sped off past us. As he passed we saw he had a trackable car tag on his car. We felt like jerks.
Not sure why. Even cachers can be complete idiots behind the wheel -- especially when in too much of a hurry to bag another FTF!

I've run across another cacher or caching group about a dozen times out of 1870+ finds. Not a high number given the cache and cacher density we have around here. But some of the meetings have proved particularly memorable.

Saw a couple with kids at an EOTR on a frontage road off a nearby highway a few months back and HAD to stop. Why else would anyone stop there if not to grab the cache? Sure enough. Was walking across the EOTR Jersey barrier to meet them, and the husband set his hand down right where my next full weight step was going to be. Took the slide instead of the hand and wound up with a pretty nifty sprained ankle that lasted a couple of weeks. Certainly stopped my caching day before it strated! At least we got to talk and they made the find before dispensing an ibuprofen liqu-gel cap. Great folks and relatively new to the game.

Another couple were parked w/kids along the side of a road where I maintain a pretty active bug/coin hotel. HAD to pull up behind and say hello. Fortunately, they noted that I was about to embark on a long interstate drive with a cut tire. Good thing I stopped and met them! Rolled home slowly and grabbed the other car until I could get the tire dealt with. This group travels down into the north Denver area regularly from Wyoming just to keep the itch scratched.