Cache/hides being stolen/removed by hispanic muggles....

Cache/hides being stolen/removed by hispanic muggles....

Your title sounds racist without further reading.

It sticks out in the topics like my crooked pinky finger.

:anibad:

"WOW" Super Racist........this just shows that the "Amigos" are doing their job. Removing Trash, in your case "Geo-Trash"..........do you have pic's of who grabbed the cache? it could have been some of those little green guys, or perhaps the purple ones , even a white or black one who knows......."Assumption"

We are not racist. We have nothing against anyone of any race, relegion or nationality. Just stating facts that I do know.

1. The landscaping company that has the contract to take care of this garden is in fact all hispanic. Even the name of their company is hispanic in nature. They are in charge of maintaining the garden area including removing all trash that is the area as well. I have seen this same company working that same garden every week for the last several years. This year I have noticed that the same crew has worked this garden for the last few months. I have no problem with hispanic people. I am glad they have a respectful job and are supporting their families doing something legal instead of many others who are on welfare or doing something illegal to support a family. Since my wife did a very good job HIDING her cache. So much so that she even received several DNF's for her cache, & since she told me where she hid it. No one BUT the landscaping crew cleaning up trash would have found her cache.

2. We aren't angry or mad that her cache/hide & container went missing. Sh*T happens. What we are trying to do now is to lower the chances of it getting muggled again. Since the landscaping crew more than likely doesn't speak &/or read english,(90% of landscaping crews don't speak &/or read english here in the DFW, TX area) we thought that if we put a dual language geocache sticker on the container, that it might help REDUCE the chance that one of the grounds crew picking up trash might throw it away.

3. Yes, it is very possible that the cache/hide COULD have been muggled by SOMEONE else OTHER than the landscaping ground crew. Odds are though, because of the place it was hidden, that it was in fact the landscaping crew. Either way.... a DUAL LANGUAGE sticker would still be beneficial in an area that has a HIGH level of spanish speaking individuals.

This is what we are going to do when we replace the container:

1. Put a dual language sticker on the container.

2. Put a dual language NOTE inside the container. (The "Default" note that geocaching.com has for us to use)

3. I will attach via a cable & padlock (Lot my other cache/hides) to a bush &/or pipe. This will be done in a non-destructive way. Many other cache/hides in our area by a few other geocachers are also under "Lock N Key" as well. After talking with them, the "lock & key" have reduced getting their containers muggled by almost 98%! It doesn't protect the content. It does though prevent (To a certain degree) the container going missing or being moved. One other CO in our area has had his cache/hide under "lock n key" for a few years in a high muggles area & has not had any issue of missing containers since he put it under "lock n key". One thing is for sure. It will prevent the person who is picking up trash in the garden to do so inadvertantly.

Again... we aren't upset about it going missing for the 3rd time. We do realize that it happens. What we want to do is LOWER the odds of it going missing. As much as a pain it is to replace a cache/hide, it's also a pain for those who hunt for a cache/hide and dont' find it because it has gone missing.

Thanks

TGC

Edit:

P.S..... I realize now that my title should have said Spanish speaking muggles.... instead of hispanic muggles. As the problem is with those who do not speak &/or read english. Not with ones nationality, religion or race. My APOLOGIES for this mistake. It was NOT my intention to be derogatory in any way. Unline being able to edit posts, it isn't possible to edit thread titles. If it is, I don't know how.

Edited by texasgrillchef

I'm surprised that someone hasn't mentioned that if maintenance crews continue to throw out a cache that perhaps more communication is required with whoever gave permission for the hide.

Easier said than done sad to say. Since they are contracters contracted by the city. Communication from the city to the owner of the landscaping company then down to the actual crew, including translation from english to spanish & explaining what geocaching is all about is a process that is full of issues.

I have spoken with the city employee that deals with landscaping companies.... Even they say that getting the word out is close to impossible. They are the ones that originally suggested a dual language sticker. I did get permission to use "Lock N Key" to attach it to a bush or a pipe in the garden. Providing that I did it in a way not to be destructive to either the plants, The garden, or the pipes/structure.

TGC

I'm surprised that someone hasn't mentioned that if maintenance crews continue to throw out a cache that perhaps more communication is required with whoever gave permission for the hide.

Easier said than done sad to say. Since they are contracters contracted by the city. Communication from the city to the owner of the landscaping company then down to the actual crew, including translation from english to spanish & explaining what geocaching is all about is a process that is full of issues.

I have spoken with the city employee that deals with landscaping companies.... Even they say that getting the word out is close to impossible. They are the ones that originally suggested a dual language sticker. I did get permission to use "Lock N Key" to attach it to a bush or a pipe in the garden. Providing that I did it in a way not to be destructive to either the plants, The garden, or the pipes/structure.

TGC

In that case, you have to consider whether the cache is in a good spot. My thinking is that if a cache is so easily spotted by muggles that it frequently disappears, it's probably not in a good spot.

The geocacher not wanting to return home empty-handed and face the forums without a find reluctantly agrees. The rancher wearing large pointy cowboy boots haul back and kicks the guy in the crotch with all his might. The guy's eyes roll back in his head, he coughs and wheezes but barely manages to remain standing.

The geocacher composes himself somewhat and squeaks to the farmer, "Okay, now its my turn."

Good thing I wear protection :anibad: Along with my 357. B)

TGC

In that case, you have to consider whether the cache is in a good spot. My thinking is that if a cache is so easily spotted by muggles that it frequently disappears, it's probably not in a good spot.

The Only muggles that can see it &/or find it, are the muggles who do the landscaping for this area. However, that still doesn't mean that it would be a bad spot or even a good spot.

EVEN So.... & To those that suggested moving the cache to a new area.... OR communicating with the land owner....

Where 95% of landscaping crews speak spanish as their first language and in most cases as their ONLY language. Even if we DID place it somewhere else in the area, or even in another area of DFW, Texas. This problem would STILL exist. Some areas more so than other areas.

That is why I asked about the Bilingual Stickers. In this day & times at least in Texas. More & more business are adopting bilingual menu's & signs etc...

In some areas with larger caches (Small & Regular) many of us in our area of DFW are starting to use the "Lock N Key" approach as well. Yes, it can still get muggled, removed & even stolen. But it does provide deterance. Especially for those muggles who are just collecting trash. Most people won't think something is trash if it's locked/chained up.

TGC

Good location, bad location, who gives a rats rump? Point is that a bilingual sticker may be useful in a bilingual area. TGC why don't you check with a local printer and see what it would cost to print a bunch. Then you could sell them to local cachers like yourself, filling the need. You could sell 'em at cost or add a couple of pennies each and pay off your mortgage. :anibad:

I see. I vastly underestimated the size of the park. Are there other caches hidden in the park and are they having the same problem? Otherwise, I have to go with this as the best solution/answer:

Just write "No basura!" on the container with a marker. It means "not trash". We write it on things at work that we don't want the cleaning crew to throw away and I write it on my caches occasionally.

Your main problem is it sounds like a bad location if it's been thrown away twice. Archive it and try somewhere else. There's no shame in admitting that you picked a poor location. Happens all the time.

None of my other caches have been disturbed, but they're all micros or nanos. I had sincerely hoped to keep at least one fairly ordinary "regular" size cache in the area for bug swaps and stuff, but that just may not be possible.

The one that got muggled certainly didn't get muggled by anyone "passing by" as it was well hidden in an area that gets no nearby pedestrian traffic. Anywhere else, it would easily have been a "safe" hide. But watching these guys work, I'm beginning to think that they don't leave a single bush on the whole bloody 963 acres untended during their semi-annual cleanup sessions. They own enough leaf blowers to move every last grain of sand from the Sahara north into the Med!

I personally find it offensive because it reads as if it's singling out an individual race for stealing caches.

"Good grief" exactly. omg. It never said they stole it. It said they were doing their job. I have family that is hispanic and born in Mexico but now a U.S. citizen. It's not derogatory. Get over it. :anibad:

When we book people into our jail, we give them an information sheet to fill out.

Name, DOB, Address, Height, Weight, etc.

I was once tasked with developing a Spanish language version of this form. An odd choice, since I don't speak Spanish.

What I discovered, upon presenting the completed form to the intended arrestees, is that about 75% of them were illiterate.

Having been born in Spanish speaking countries, they could speak the language fluently, (obviously), but they couldn't read it.

I'm wondering how effective a Spanish language geocaching sticker would be?

Maybe some sort of visual aid would be more effective? :anibad:

So you're saying that 75% of hispanics are illiterate without any demographic proof? Now THAT'S racist. B)

When we book people into our jail, we give them an information sheet to fill out.

I was once tasked with developing a Spanish language version of this form. An odd choice, since I don't speak Spanish.

What I discovered, upon presenting the completed form to the intended arrestees, is that about 75% of them were illiterate.

Having been born in Spanish speaking countries, they could speak the language fluently, (obviously), but they couldn't read it.

So you're saying that 75% of hispanics are illiterate without any demographic proof? Now THAT'S racist. B)

Bart... down, boy. :blink: He said that he had evidence that 75% of arrested hispanics in the group that was filling out his forms were illiterate. Whether or not he intended to generalize beyond that is something that neither you nor I can answer, but really, what CR said was very specific.

Your main problem is it sounds like a bad location if it's been thrown away twice. Archive it and try somewhere else. There's no shame in admitting that you picked a poor location. Happens all the time.

The obvious choice :blink::blink:

One would think that, but the OP seems struck on a location in a business park. I'm tempted to drive to The Colony to see what is so outstanding about this location. The city just opened a great new hiking trail that hardly has any caches on it. I'd sure rather find caches along that trail than in a business park. But that's just me. B)

To the literacy issue - you don't have to be fully literate to understand what the letters in "NO BASURA" mean. It works for our cleaning crew.

Seems like this topic is out of control. Mods? :anibad:

Bart... down, boy. B)

It's OK. I learned long ago that some folks are so committed to the idea of being offended that they are perfectly willing to ignore facts to achieve their goals. Judging by the emoticon, and bflentje's history of dry, subtle humor, I don't think he fits this group. I think he was just poking fun. Maybe? :anibad:

Bart... down, boy. :blink:

It's OK. I learned long ago that some folks are so committed to the idea of being offended that they are perfectly willing to ignore facts to achieve their goals. Judging by the emoticon, and bflentje's history of dry, subtle humor, I don't think he fits this group. I think he was just poking fun. Maybe? B)

I work for the largest jail system in the US, and guess what, the majority population in our jail system is hispanic. I guess that makes me a ? :anibad:

Edited by Kit Fox

The obvious choice :blink::blink:

One would think that, but the OP seems struck on a location in a business park. I'm tempted to drive to The Colony to see what is so outstanding about this location. The city just opened a great new hiking trail that hardly has any caches on it. I'd sure rather find caches along that trail than in a business park. But that's just me. B)

To the literacy issue - you don't have to be fully literate to understand what the letters in "NO BASURA" mean. It works for our cleaning crew.

Seems like this topic is out of control. Mods? :anibad:

Seems to me that the meat and potatoes of the OP's op have been lost in the side issues. Too bad really as the idea has merit.

Bart... down, boy. :blink:

It's OK. I learned long ago that some folks are so committed to the idea of being offended that they are perfectly willing to ignore facts to achieve their goals. Judging by the emoticon, and bflentje's history of dry, subtle humor, I don't think he fits this group. I think he was just poking fun. Maybe? :blink:

I work for the largest jail system in the US, and guess what, the majority population in our jail system is hispanic. I guess that makes me a ? :anibad:

Just remember, you are a racist any time you release any statistics on race, unless the statistics are based on white people.

B)

The PC carp has GOT to go!

Seems to me that the meat and potatoes of the OP's op have been lost in the side issues. Too bad really as the idea has merit.

Well, hopefully the Geocaching Store has picked up on the idea. Spanish is the third most spoken language now in the U.S., second only to Igpay Atinlay.

I thought Clan Riffster's point was very good.

I used to teach English as a Second Language (ESL) and one of the issues we had to deal with was that many people who come to the US to make a better life for themselves or to escape persecution in their home country are illiterate in both English and their native language, so we couldn't simply give them written translations. We had to be creative when we made our lesson plans.

It is not a sin to be illiterate. It is just the way life is in some parts of the world. Even literacy means something different in many places. In some places literacy is defined as being able to sign your name on a contract and that's it. In others, you are counted as literate if you have very rudimentary reading skills. The problem for people who come here from cultures that are less focused on written language is that we are a highly literate culture that we learned to navigate as small children. If you don't have the advantage of learning reading (in any language) when you're young, it is much harder to learn any kind of written language as an adult. Contrariwise, if you learned any written language when young, you can easily pick up a new language.

People who were literate in their own language didn't come to our classes. They had other options. Similarly, jobs that require no reading skills attract a higher number of non-readers than other jobs (for reasons that should be obvious). My guess is that groundskeepers who are in the US and originate from other countries are less literate than the population at large. It is not racist to say this.

The good thing is that most groups of non-readers have a few readers they rely upon. So a simply-worded sign in Spanish may be a great deal of help. My recommendation is that it be very simple, very clear, and not too wordy. You want it to be recognizable as a symbol once the reader in the group translates it. Or you want to incorporate a symbol as part of the presentation. The idea is to make this easy on everyone.

Carolyn

Edited by Steve&GeoCarolyn

Hmmm... I have one cache in a city that is 79% Hispanic. Two in a town that's 67% Hispanic (that would be my home town. There is also a small percentage that speaks only Greek, and another small percentage that speaks only Italian...) One in a town that's 50% Hispanic. Five in a township that's 40% Hispanic.

Yet, somehow, I've never felt the need for bilingual labels. So, please send my seven bilingual labels! And two also in Greek and Italian. I am now being inspired to hide a cache in a township that's 83% Hispanic! So I will need a few more labels.

It is also noted here that I have met several Hispanic geocachers, and that my caching partner is cubano.

Yes, you have to consider whether your muggles will read, in any language. Not just whether they CAN read but whether they DO read. Many in this class CAN read, with effort, but as a matter of habit do not read even a couple of words, because of the effort it takes. This seems very strange to those of us -- probably including every person reading, much less contributing to, this forum -- to whom words seen flow into the brain automatically, and keeping them out would require far more effort.

And this is completely language-independent. In other parts of the country the background of landscape maintenance workers will be different, and in many places English is their first language. But in almost every case they do not read, whether because they cannot or because it takes them too much effort.

In a smaller, more stable situation, where I spoke a common language with the workers, I'd make an effort to meet them, talk with them, and explain. Precisely because they don't read, they are probably much better than me at remembering what they hear -- not every individual, but on average. Get them on my side, let them know this is something to be protected, and I'll have good allies.

That doesn't seem like it will work in this case. The NO BASURA is probably an excellent idea; anything more on a label will be useless. Chaining it down may be even better, since it speaks so loudly of the intent that the object stay where it is. The chain will speak louder than written words like NO MOLESTAR.

Of course, there are other situations in which bilingual labelling is an excellent idea. But in this case, the bilingualism needed is spoken/written rather than English/Spanish.

Edward

Ya know, you could just build an IAD, (Improvised Annoyance Device), under the cache...

A waterproof sound system, power source and a trigger device that activates as the cache is lifted.

Have it blare the theme song for Barney The Dinosaur at 120 decibles when the cache is removed.

I bet they'll put it back real fast. :anibad:B):blink::blink:

All the rhetoric aside.

How about just placing a better hide. You could hollow out a rock and stick your container in it and they groundskeepers would just pass it by, because by their logic Rock != Basura.

A fake fence post, memorial plaque, or other convincing hide would be left intact.

Do keep in mind the people who come through to spruce things up may not be the same next time, so communication with landowners, et al would be pointless, particularly because they are unlikely to make contact with the groundskeepers and say, "Every stray weed, leaf, twig, tin, wrap, condom, fender, etc. goes, just make sure you don't touch the GeoCache, unless you plan to log it."

In my experience, Hispanics are more friendlier than most people (excepting the ones that drive 18 wheelers in Miami) instead of placing a bilingual sticker, just tell them about it. Most of them are really nice.

That sounds like you are stereotyping hispanics as nice. Stereotypes are evil!!!

Just funnin.

Really, for the most part, those of all nationalities are nice if you get to know them but, again, with every race, there are bad apples.

Talking to the landscapers isn't a bad idea.

Good location, bad location, who gives a rats rump? Point is that a bilingual sticker may be useful in a bilingual area. TGC why don't you check with a local printer and see what it would cost to print a bunch. Then you could sell them to local cachers like yourself, filling the need. You could sell 'em at cost or add a couple of pennies each and pay off your mortgage. :anibad:

You know what. Great Idea... I will do just that.

Anyone for the most popular size?

How many interested?

TGC

One would think that, but the OP seems struck on a location in a business park. I'm tempted to drive to The Colony to see what is so outstanding about this location. The city just opened a great new hiking trail that hardly has any caches on it. I'd sure rather find caches along that trail than in a business park. But that's just me. :anibad:

Your getting me confused with another geocacher poster here that is having a simliar problem with his cache/hide that is placed in a business park.

My wifes is in a simple small garden maintained by the city.

As far as the new hiking trail. Currently there are 8 cache/hides on the new hiking trail, One of the Eight is the Final location for a multi. My wife & I have 4 more waiting on the reviewer to publish.

But like I said in a PREVIOUS post. Sure she find another spot. Lots & lots of other fantastic spots in "The Colony" to place wonderful cache/hides. The problem though would STILL exist. At least anywhere on city property with the SAME landscaping company handling all the mowing & gardening etc for all the city parks, etc...

I see your in Allen TX, Just right down the road. Have family in Allen. Come on over check out a few caches. You will notice that not just my caches, but a couple of other caches in our area are also LOCKED down wiht padlocks and chains! To help prevent the landscaping crews (as well as other muggles) from removing these cache/hides.

TGC

Hmmm... I have one cache in a city that is 79% Hispanic. Two in a town that's 67% Hispanic (that would be my home town. There is also a small percentage that speaks only Greek, and another small percentage that speaks only Italian...) One in a town that's 50% Hispanic. Five in a township that's 40% Hispanic.

Yet, somehow, I've never felt the need for bilingual labels. So, please send my seven bilingual labels! And two also in Greek and Italian. I am now being inspired to hide a cache in a township that's 83% Hispanic! So I will need a few more labels.

It is also noted here that I have met several Hispanic geocachers, and that my caching partner is cubano.

What size?

TGC

Talking to the landscapers isn't a bad idea.

Great idea.... IF I spoke spanish.... If they spoke english....

All they ever say is.... "No Hablo English".... I respond "No hablo espanol"

:anibad:

TGC

I have access to a printing press (OK, I own the thing) and could do the printing of new labels if needed. Of course I'm not a charity so it would have to be equitable...

As long as it's legal and all (no copyright infringement or anything).

Bart... down, boy. B)
It's OK. I learned long ago that some folks are so committed to the idea of being offended that they are perfectly willing to ignore facts to achieve their goals. Judging by the emoticon, and bflentje's history of dry, subtle humor, I don't think he fits this group. I think he was just poking fun. Maybe? ;)
I work for the largest jail system in the US, and guess what, the majority population in our jail system is hispanic. I guess that makes me a ? :)
Not that I give a rat's rump, but I'm pretty sure that he was saying that it might not be wise to attempt to predict literacy rates for the entire population based solely on the subset of that population that is locked up. Who knows, perhaps illiteracy is more common in criminals (at least those that get caught) than it is for the non-jailed general population. Edited by sbell111

The reference to caches perhaps being stolen by hispanic muggles conveyed a different impression than a crew of workers removing caches that they perceive to be trash. But it got me to read the post.

Although I think its important to label caches so that people can tell what they are (and perhaps not call out the bomb squad), I am not sure a sticker would solve the problem if a crew comes in to clean up the grounds. The only thing that really makes a cache "official" is if it has been officially approved by the land manager. So it seems simplest to discuss the problem with the land manager and work out a solution -- I would definitely do this before using a chain. Or to place caches that are hidden in such a way so that a landscaping crew would not notice them.

Edited by Erickson
Bart... down, boy. B)

It's OK. I learned long ago that some folks are so committed to the idea of being offended that they are perfectly willing to ignore facts to achieve their goals. Judging by the emoticon, and bflentje's history of dry, subtle humor, I don't think he fits this group. I think he was just poking fun. Maybe? ;)

I work for the largest jail system in the US, and guess what, the majority population in our jail system is hispanic. I guess that makes me a ? :)

...employee of your state government?

Bart... down, boy. B)
Not that I give a rat's rump, but I'm pretty sure that he was saying that it might not be wise to attempt to predict literacy rates for the entire population based solely on the subset of that population that is locked up. Who knows, perhaps illiteracy is more common in criminals (at least those that get caught) than it is for the non-jailed general population.

There are studies that show that people in jail have less education and are less intelligent then those who have never been convicted of a crime. Logically, it makes sense... jail is full of people who got caught.

"Gringos utilizar este objeto para sus juegos utilizando un tonto GPS. Por favor, no te muevas o tomar este objeto. Gracias!"

That is funny...Gringos-silly gps. This would probably work the best, or maybe the "this is not trash" one.

Thanks for noticing... I threw in some cultural humor in the hopes that such a statement would garner a chuckle and get one's attention, hence actually be effective. :)

I'm shocked that no one is falling on the floor and tearing at their clothes over the use of the derogatory term "gringo."

Yeah, well, it is all relative, my friend. In New Mexico, I'd rather be called a "gringo" rather than a "texan" any day... ;)

After some interaction, I usually get upgraded to "Yanqui" :) or ultimately earn "amigo." B)

I'm shocked that no one is falling on the floor and tearing at their clothes over the use of the derogatory term "gringo."

Actually, I'm not at all.

I am shocked and offended by your use of the phrase "falling on the floor and tearing at their clothes". I can't decide which half I find more offensive (the falling or the tearing), but I assure you that I am at this moment about to partake of a rapid vertical profile reduction and violent apparel non-usage rending in support of both my balance/equilibrium-challenged brothers and my Fashion Industry sisters.

Edited by Castle Mischief

Actually, I'm not at all.

I am shocked and offended by your use of the phrase "falling on the floor and tearing at their clothes". I can't decide which half I find more offensive (the falling or the tearing), but I assure you that I am at this moment about to partake of a rapid vertical profile reduction and violent apparel non-usage rending in support of both my balance/equilibrium-challenged brothers and my Fashion Industry sisters.

How much fashion does a nudist/naturist really have though? :)

TGC