LAME cache swag

One mans junk is another man's treasure, i think...I love trading swag...the first couple hundred of caches I traded everytime, now I'm a little more selective. I have a shoebox of my favorites over the years and often go thru it just to admire...one of my favorites was a a fist carved from wood. I look forward to sharing my "treasures" with my son when he's old enough.

Now I trade for items I know he'll play with, right now he's really big into matchbox cars and army men. I went online to one of those teacher "prize" sites and bought a big box of colorful erasers. I often leave a couple of those even if I haven't taken anything. I also usually keep a bag of swag in my backpack of items I'd like to receive. I can't ever imagine wanting a used ticket stub, but I've heard of people that have collected them. As for golf balls, when I was younger my sister and I had a collection of golf balls. We collected them whenever we found them and used them to dive for in our pool. If I see tennis balls, I take those, since I have three labs. As long as it's not garbage (broken glass, crumpled up paper, etc.) I think it's worth being called swag.

Also, I'd like to think on a very small scale I'm known around my area for having cool swag in the caches I place. I usually have a blast going to the store to stock a new cache. I've gotten new boxes of crayons, fun colored post it notes, deck of cards in the shape of a bunny's head, miniature bowling ball game...etc...all still wrapped. I had never thought to go out and restock my caches once in awhile until I read this forum, but now I think I will. Thanks for the idea. There's my 2 cents.

I may get some static for saying this, but I have recently started to CITO used golf balls in particular from caches, under the theory that new cachers see those and think that they are perfectly cool swag. I consider them trash traded for something probably not trash.

Why do you have have such a rager for golf balls? I think a custom-branded golf-ball would be fun to find. If your talking about dirty x-range balls on the other hand... I think I can see your point.

Anyway... as for the topic of the thread, I've seen some weird things in caches. The lamest is the religious pamphlets.

Hmmm... random wooden nodule from a tree. If you can find 1000 of them rotting on the ground near the cache it's not a good swag item.

Broken pocket knifes. Or supper cheep poket knifes. Cheep pocket knifes are actually dangerous to use - don't inflict that on people.

And, would you describe Christian Geocoins as lame as well? Personally, I think that a really lame swag would be some geek's broken game controller...or, perhaps, some lamer's used golf glove!

93 posts, and no one mentioned hamsters yet?
That's because hamsters aren't LAME cache swag. They're AWESOME.

How about hamsters with injured feet? Wouldn't they be lame?

All I know is that I don't think we're supposed to call them "handicapped", and that you should only put them in caches with a terrain rating of 1.
Did you know that Hamstercaching is specifically banned in some caches (see my log at bottom)? Talk about party poopers... Edited by J-Way

It never really occurred to me that I could CITO the cache itself. I'm fairly new, but I know what trash looks like. So I was out yesterday and the lamest piece of cache trashe I came across was a shower cap from a motel, not in its original container. My personal favorites are these little foam or plastic shapes (unicorns and stars) that are thrown into small (and even micro) caches and then fall all over the place when the cache is opened up.

I have ocasionaly posted in my log "cache contences could use some CITO action". I have also done some CITO on cache contence, but only true garbage, nothing questionable like golf balls. Things like snack bar wrapers, broken $0.25 jewlary, rockes (not the cool polished ones, the ones from just outside the cache, My sisters kid tried traiding a rock he picked up for a toy car once, I had to argue with him for a bit to make him put the car back).

It's very rare that I take anything from a cache - basically only if my 1 year old see's something he wants to play with (or chew on is more like it) but I usually drop in a few items if I come across a cache that's not very well stocked. I haven't got my signature items ready yet but I plan on just leaving them as well. The treasure for me is just finding the cache :D

I always leave, and I like to find, swag that has a "sense of place." I mean, place is what our hobby is all about. Going from place to place, discovering great new places. I'm from the Pittsburgh area, and I always leave things related to this area: pencils from PNC Park, Penguins buttons, pickle pins from the Heinz plant, stuff like that.

Personally, I love Golf Balls... Golf tees... heck I even like army men. Just as long as I don't open an ammo can full of dookie, I am normally happy just finding the cache. -Goose

I've read so much about the lame golf ball swag here in the forums, I was starting to feel ripped off that I've never run across one. But today I found my first geocache golf ball. I don't golf but I felt compelled to swap it out. I traded a pathtag for it.

I didn't read all the posts, so I apologize if this is a repeat.

I geocache because it gets me out of the house. Right now I'm a SAHM to a 4 and 2 year old. When the weekend comes or an evening is open I say, They're all yours!, to my hubby, I go out caching because it's a great escape and excercise. I take my rat terrier with me and we both enjoy the time out. I love using my GPS and brain. I don't much care about what's inside, but I love finding TB's and coins to pass on.

HOWEVER, my attitude is different when I have my 11 year old and the 4 year old with me. It's sad to see how disappointed they are to arrive at a cache and find only a nut and bolt or nothing at all. When they leave the site unhappy, it's harder to get them out there with me on another hunt.

Not a fan of the religious stuff. Be it pro, atheist, agnostic, etc. I generally recycle that stuff if I come across it.

It has been a bummer going out to caches to find them empty in general. I hardly trade swag anyways, but I know other youngins would be pretty bummed. I own one cache at this point and I've made it a point to go out every couple of weeks and stock it back up if it's getting low. And actually, I haven't had to add much yet, which is nice. I started it nice and full and there are a few original items left, but for the most part, it's still full with goodies people might be into. So overall, I think COs need to take a more active role in their caches, making sure they stay stocked and family friendly. It's kind of like a disease really. Tons of people see well stock caches, they're more likely to keep it going. If they see a ton of empty ones, well, that must be the norm...

Not a fan of the religious stuff. Be it pro, atheist, agnostic, etc. I generally recycle that stuff if I come across it.

It has been a bummer going out to caches to find them empty in general. I hardly trade swag anyways, but I know other youngins would be pretty bummed. I own one cache at this point and I've made it a point to go out every couple of weeks and stock it back up if it's getting low. And actually, I haven't had to add much yet, which is nice. I started it nice and full and there are a few original items left, but for the most part, it's still full with goodies people might be into. So overall, I think COs need to take a more active role in their caches, making sure they stay stocked and family friendly. It's kind of like a disease really. Tons of people see well stock caches, they're more likely to keep it going. If they see a ton of empty ones, well, that must be the norm...

Agree with you about COs need to maintain their stock in their caches. Very good point.

However, the thing with caching is that you don't have to like everything you find in a cache. If it is broken, in poor shape, or trash, then by all means get rid of it. But just getting rid of something because of what it is (i.e. the religious stuff you aren't a fan of) isn't your right at all. Maybe someone doesn't like matchbox cars; should they be able to toss them at every cache they find them? No one is forced to take anything from a cache whatsoever, only requirement we have is to sign log and rehid as good or better as we found it. No one should get to play "cache police" and decide if a certain type of item should be in the cache.

(aside from those items that Groundspeak already asks not to be placed. knives, food, adult items...etc.)

I think this is an appropriate place to add this comment... we haven't been geocaching very long, but so far every cache we have found has had nothing but nickel and dime items in them that would be appropriate for children. A small marble... ONE monkey from the Monkey Barrel game... a torn kids' trading card... 6 marked up tiddly winks... you get the idea. We are going to place a cache soon, and we are planning on trying to put some swag in it that adults would enjoy as well as kids. Does anyone else find that this tends to be a problem? Maybe we just haven't seen enough swag, but would almost like to make it a request for our cache that if you take out an adult item, you replace it with an adult item. We have put a lot of thought and consideration into the swag we will place to make sure it will appeal to ALL ages. Is this asking too much? I just think I'm going to be sick if our cache eventually degrades from a diverse bunch of swag to nothing more than plastic monkeys and tiddly winks! :(

p.s. someone mentioned that PlayDough melts, which makes sense. Does anybody know if Silly Putty melts too in warm climates? Also, if left in the shade in a warm climate, how do CDs fare?

I think this is an appropriate place to add this comment... we haven't been geocaching very long, but so far every cache we have found has had nothing but nickel and dime items in them that would be appropriate for children. A small marble... ONE monkey from the Monkey Barrel game... a torn kids' trading card... 6 marked up tiddly winks... you get the idea. We are going to place a cache soon, and we are planning on trying to put some swag in it that adults would enjoy as well as kids. Does anyone else find that this tends to be a problem? Maybe we just haven't seen enough swag, but would almost like to make it a request for our cache that if you take out an adult item, you replace it with an adult item. We have put a lot of thought and consideration into the swag we will place to make sure it will appeal to ALL ages. Is this asking too much? I just think I'm going to be sick if our cache eventually degrades from a diverse bunch of swag to nothing more than plastic monkeys and tiddly winks! :(

p.s. someone mentioned that PlayDough melts, which makes sense. Does anybody know if Silly Putty melts too in warm climates? Also, if left in the shade in a warm climate, how do CDs fare?

All I can say is that your swag WILL degrade over time. There are over a hundred thousand geocachers a week out there and no matter how hard anyone tries, there will be trading down.

Some of us leave something even if we don't take anything but others will take and leave nothing.

Nothing you can do about it. Sorry to say.

All I can say is that your swag WILL degrade over time. There are over a hundred thousand geocachers a week out there and no matter how hard anyone tries, there will be trading down.

Some of us leave something even if we don't take anything but others will take and leave nothing.

I guess I was mostly commenting on the content being geared primarily to children. Is this the norm?

I guess I was mostly commenting on the content being geared primarily to children. Is this the norm?

Pretty much, yes, because children are easier to please.

The mentality is this. Do you want to spend $10 on a swag item for an adult only to find out later that it wasn't traded for, but taken?

So, the value of swag goes down with time.

From what I've seen, I'd say if you're going to be sick if your swag degrades you should invest in some sick bags :anibad: Sorry.

But to answer your question, I've seen very few items that are "adult". Mostly I think because the adults aren't in to trading as much as kids are. I guess one could argue the chicken vs. the egg case. Do adults not trade as much because the swag is geared to kids, or is the swag geared to kids because adults don't care to trade as much?

I like the signature items for a grown up trade (yes, I realize technically you don't have to trade for a signature item but I'd never take one and not leave something cool in its place), because they are unique. I've also traded books and enjoyed my revolving library :blink: Those are the only adult things I can think of that I've traded for.

We are going to place a cache soon

Let me start by thanking you for adding another cache for the rest of us to find!

While there are no guarantees, a method I've found for maintaining a high degree of swag is to make your cache as far from a park & grab as you possibly can. It seems that those folks who go after the hardest to reach caches tend to practice the age ole mantra of "Trade Up, Trade Even or Don't Trade" more than those folks who won't walk more than 20' from their air conditioned minivan. Again, it's not set in stone, but it has certainly proven true with my hides. My most difficult hide actually experiences an steady increase in swag value. :(

Post script: Yes, Silly Putty will melt in high temperature environments. :)

Before I go caching, I pack a little bag with swag that I consider both kid and adult friendly but it's not crap. Most of the caches we find now have pure junk (aka crap) in them so we don't bother taking or leaving. Sometimes I will leave something anyway and not take anything because it's such crap. In all the caches I have done so far, there have been only about 7 that have had good swag, and those caches were hidden by the same cacher. And when I find a cache I'm excited to find it; but then I open it up and it has: someone's business card, a used bendable toy, and my two favorite items to date: half an acorn and a dandelion! :(

Two ways to assist in defeating this SWAG issue.

1 Place your cache in a 5/5 location (really helps at lessening the broken McToys, etc);

2 Create a theme cache where the trade items are specifically outlined on the cache page.

example: GC1W0VV This cache is dedicated to simply giving people a polished stone. If they happen to have one to trade in return, this is fine (a surprising number do). The size of the cache is fairly small and that limits the input of junk swag.

... a method I've found for maintaining a high degree of swag is to make your cache as far from a park & grab as you possibly can.
... ways to assist in defeating this SWAG issue.

1 Place your cache in a 5/5 location ...

If cache owners don’t want people taking swag out of their caches, then what’s the point of simply making caches harder to get to? Why stop there? If you don’t want your swag taken, then why hide a cache at all?

I agree with those who point out that it is human nature that causes swag quality to deteriorate over time within a given cache. For me, the conclusion is that this is a great argument for micros and against larger, trinket-filled containers.

I’m not anti-swag. It’s just that I don’t personally cache for the trinkets. I never take, rarely trade, and for the most part have stopped adding stuff to caches. The fun for me is in using my GPS, getting outside, finding containers, enjoying challenges and creativity, and writing logs. For me it was intuitive from the very beginning that the 'treasure' in geocaches wasn’t any kind of reason for pursuing the hobby.

The swag described by the OP is not worthless. Young children get exited at the prospect of pawing through secretly hidden boxes of cheap toys and bits from junk-drawers. Folks caching with young children should therefore probably seek out such caches if they want their kids to remain interested. As for me, my kids long ago passed that age.

I think the existence of this thread further proves the value of microcaches.

... a method I've found for maintaining a high degree of swag is to make your cache as far from a park & grab as you possibly can.
... ways to assist in defeating this SWAG issue.

1 Place your cache in a 5/5 location ...

If cache owners don’t want people taking swag out of their caches, then what’s the point of simply making caches harder to get to? Why stop there? If you don’t want your swag taken, then why hide a cache at all?

I believe the point is that if you make the cache harder to get to the type of person who goes to the effort to find it will be more likely to trade fair. I'm not sure if that is a fact or if the lack of cache swag degradation in lonely caches is more a product of fewer finders pawing through the cache. Is there even a way to quantify the degradation of swag per finder? We can't even agree on the value of swag a cache starts with. See the threads about golf balls and bottle caps.

I don't think your argument justifying micros because of swag degradation in larger caches is valid. Actually I think a discussion of micros is irrelevant to the conversation as the existence of micros has no effect on the value of swag in trading sized caches.

I believe the point is that if you make the cache harder to get to the type of person who goes to the effort to find it will be more likely to trade fair.

I don’t think there is any evidence to support that theory. Not that I have seen at least. Swag quality always deteriorates over time.

In fact, I don’t think slowing cache traffic via inconvenience stops unfair trading at all; I think it merely slows down the deterioration to a rate that matches the reduced traffic rate. This is based only on my own observation, and is of course highly unscientific, but I have found (and owned) lots of caches at both ends of the difficulty scale, and I am going by what I have directly observed

I don't think your argument justifying micros because of swag degradation in larger caches is valid. Actually I think a discussion of micros is irrelevant to the conversation as the existence of micros has no effect on the value of swag in trading sized caches.

My point is this: If you are the cache owner, and swag deterioration is objectionable, then why not simply remove the swag from the equation? Why waste your time changing your hide around (from what you otherwise would have placed) in a fruitless attempt to fight the unfairness?

You are correct that the existence of micros has no effect on the value of swag in trading sized caches. And that’s my point exactly: No swag, no swag complaints.

SWAG degradation will occur, no matter what. That is a fact of life.

My recommendation was to limit, not prevent it.

I don't hardly think that a micro or nano fits in this string whatsoever.

If a person wishes help in keeping the cache swag from degrading so fast, I think these are the best ways. Perhaps not a 5/5, but at least get it out of the roadside park, or further than 100 ft. from the right-of-way!

We all know what opinions are like :( , and that's mine! :)

Enjoy the game how you want.

I believe the point is that if you make the cache harder to get to the type of person who goes to the effort to find it will be more likely to trade fair.

I don’t think there is any evidence to support that theory. Not that I have seen at least. Swag quality always deteriorates over time.

In fact, I don’t think slowing cache traffic via inconvenience stops unfair trading at all; I think it merely slows down the deterioration to a rate that matches the reduced traffic rate. This is based only on my own observation, and is of course highly unscientific, but I have found (and owned) lots of caches at both ends of the difficulty scale, and I am going by what I have directly observed

And if you look at my whole response to this one you'll see that I agree. At least to the point of say that I don't see a way to prove such a theory. Context my friend.

My point is this: If you are the cache owner, and swag deterioration is objectionable, then why not simply remove the swag from the equation? Why waste your time changing your hide around (from what you otherwise would have placed) in a fruitless attempt to fight the unfairness?

You are correct that the existence of micros has no effect on the value of swag in trading sized caches. And that’s my point exactly: No swag, no swag complaints.

Micro has nothing to do with it. You can hide an empty ammo can. Empty other than a log that is. :( I have actually found such. I was FTF on an ammo can that had no trade items in it. So no, it is not a size issue but rather a content issue.

No swag, no swag complaints? Tell that to my wife who will complain there is no swag in a micro. Funny thing is my kids are less likely to become dejected about having nothing to paw through.

Micro has nothing to do with it. You can hide an empty ammo can. Empty other than a log that is. :( I have actually found such. I was FTF on an ammo can that had no trade items in it. So no, it is not a size issue but rather a content issue.

Well of course, a trinketless cache can be of any size. But what would be the point?

No swag, no swag complaints? Tell that to my wife who will complain there is no swag in a micro.

You are extrapolating my comment to apply to something I did not address. I never said folks who like trinkets shouldn’t hunt caches with trinkets.

I didn’t say I was anti-swag. In fact I was careful to point out that I am not anti-swag.

For the third time, my only point is that those who complain about the degradation of the booty in their own caches seem to be misguided when they respond by making their caches harder to access. The only way to prevent the plunder is to not make the booty available in the first place.

Leaving unattended goodies in public places will always have the same, predictable effect. When you do something like that and the predictable happens, which is more reasonable: ranting against human nature, or taking responsibility for what you knew was going to happen?

If a cache owner has a specific new cache hide idea in mind, but he decides he doesn’t want to put up with swag degradation, it would make more sense to me for that person to skip the trinkets altogether. Others in this thread have suggested that the hider modify his entire hide concept instead, which I happen to find a bit silly. That’s all.

If a person wishes help in keeping the cache swag from degrading so fast, I think these are the best ways. Perhaps not a 5/5, but at least get it out of the roadside park, or further than 100 ft. from the right-of-way!

And BTW, I really don’t appreciate the implication that people who prefer easy drive-up caches are somehow less honest than others when it comes to trading fairly.

Maybe that’s not what you meant, but every time someone makes this point that’s the way it sounds: "People who find hard caches are honest; people who find easy caches are thieves. Turn your easy cache into a hard cache and those lazy dirty thieves will leave it alone."

Well of course, a trinketless cache can be of any size. But what would be the point?

No swag, no swag complaints? Tell that to my wife who will complain there is no swag in a micro.

You are extrapolating my comment to apply to something I did not address. I never said folks who like trinkets shouldn’t hunt caches with trinkets.

I didn’t say I was anti-swag. In fact I was careful to point out that I am not anti-swag.

For the third time, my only point is that those who complain about the degradation of the booty in their own caches seem to be misguided when they respond by making their caches harder to access. The only way to prevent the plunder is to not make the booty available in the first place.

Leaving unattended goodies in public places will always have the same, predictable effect. When you do something like that and the predictable happens, which is more reasonable: ranting against human nature, or taking responsibility for what you knew was going to happen?

If a cache owner has a specific new cache hide idea in mind, but he decides he doesn’t want to put up with swag degradation, it would make more sense to me for that person to skip the trinkets altogether. Others in this thread have suggested that the hider modify his entire hide concept instead, which I happen to find a bit silly. That’s all.

And BTW, I really don’t appreciate the implication that people who prefer easy drive-up caches are somehow less honest than others when it comes to trading fairly.

Maybe that’s not what you meant, but every time someone makes this point that’s the way it sounds: "People who find hard caches are honest; people who find easy caches are thieves. Turn your easy cache into a hard cache and those lazy dirty thieves will leave it alone."

Perhaps I am belaboring the point, but you say one thing, then turn about and do just what you don't want others to do!! :)

A kettle calling the pot black?

Methinks it is time for a rest.

EDIT: context.

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

The point is that swag that isn't there can't be "plundered". A fifty cal. ammo can hidden with no trade items has the potential to become a well stocked cache. It certainly has no way to go but up. A used golf ball and a rusty bottle cap added by some finder has at least the potential to be worthy trade items to someone. No matter how hard you try to champion it as a reason for placing micros this is a thread about swag, not cache size.

Don't misunderstand me. I have nothing against micro caches in general. I just don't think the line of reasoning is germane to the discussion.

The point is that swag that isn't there can't be "plundered".

That’s my point as well.

No matter how hard you try to champion it as a reason for placing micros this is a thread about swag, not cache size .... Don't misunderstand me. I have nothing against micro caches in general. I just don't think the line of reasoning is germane to the discussion.

The micro thing was only a peripheral comment, not a major point. If it bothers you, then please ignore it.

Perhaps I am belaboring the point, but you say one thing, then turn about and do just what you don't want others to do!! :(

A kettle calling the pot black?

Did I accuse someone of being dishonest?

If so, please tell me who it was, and which of my posts contained the offense, so that I can post an immediate apology.

Sorry dud but I inferred nothing. I took your statement at face value and pointed out that it errs. I never stated nor implied you are anti-swag.

You and I both know that one miscrafted statement can ruin ones point by changing its meaning. That one line would have better served your proposes with the addition of one word "No swag, no degradation complaints" but instead it made the whole post read as if it was anti-swag. In fact that post and the prior one could lead one to assume that not only where you anti-swag but anti non-micro. Obviously that is fare from true but still...

Some folk seem to consider golf balls as 'lame' cache content.

My personal opinion of that is that they are not golfers.

I haven't ever met a golfer who would open a geocache container and view nice golf balls inside as something 'lame'. Cripes, they'll fish balls out of water and tee 'em up on the next hole.

Lying in a lake....found in a cache container? Big diff, eh? :(:);)

Sorry dud but I inferred nothing. I took your statement at face value and pointed out that it errs. I never stated nor implied you are anti-swag.

You and I both know that one miscrafted statement can ruin ones point by changing its meaning. That one line would have better served your proposes with the addition of one word "No swag, no degradation complaints" but instead it made the whole post read as if it was anti-swag.

You are correct. My mistake. I should have chosen my words more carefully.

And even though you called me "dud," I will assume you meant "dude." No hard feelings. :(

If COs don’t want people taking swag, then what’s the point of simply making caches harder to get to?

I don't think anyone here has stated, or even hinted that they don't want folks taking swag out of their caches. Heck, I love it when some one takes swag from one of my caches and replaces it with something of greater or equal value. In my opinion, it helps keep the swag interesting. Twisting it into some bizarre pro-micro rant is pretty weak.

If COs don’t want people taking swag, then what’s the point of simply making caches harder to get to?

I don't think anyone here has stated, or even hinted that they don't want folks taking swag out of their caches. Heck, I love it when some one takes swag from one of my caches and replaces it with something of greater or equal value. In my opinion, it helps keep the swag interesting. Twisting it into some bizarre pro-micro rant is pretty weak.

Huh? Nobody here is complaining about cacher who trade fairly, CR. Where did you get that?

You are intentionally confusing fair swag trades with unfair swag trades. You are trying to imply that you were not complaining about the latter, when in fact the latter was the point of your post. You are also trying to imply that I was addressing the former, when I fact I was only addressing the latter.

Yes, I agree, twisting someone else’s post makes for a pretty weak argument. When you can’t dazzle 'em with reason, befuddle 'em with obfuscation, eh?

My girls and I have just started geocaching this week. My girls are 12 and 8 and enjoy finding the trinkets in each of the caches. My older daughter enjoys the challenge in fact I give up easier than she does when trying to find one. We haven't found too much junk yet but we have just started so I am sure we will eventually. We have left swag even on finds that we didn't take anything.

For me, it is all in the challenge of finding the treasure and if it has swag its a bonus.

My girls and I have just started geocaching this week. My girls are 12 and 8 and enjoy finding the trinkets in each of the caches. My older daughter enjoys the challenge in fact I give up easier than she does when trying to find one. We haven't found too much junk yet but we have just started so I am sure we will eventually. We have left swag even on finds that we didn't take anything.

For me, it is all in the challenge of finding the treasure and if it has swag its a bonus.

Sounds as though your girls might have a slightly differing agenda.

Nuts, seeds or common stones you find lying around do not count as swag. Neither do Taco Bell sauce packets or bottles of water. As far as I'm concerned you can keep your golf balls too. Also, keep the size of the trade item appropriate to the container. Don't try to cram a toy plastic car in a Decon container if it don't fit. If the lid won't shut it's too big! DUH! Trading is not mandatory.

You and I both know that one miscrafted statement can ruin ones point by changing its meaning. That one line would have better served your proposes with the addition of one word "No swag, no degradation complaints" but instead it made the whole post read as if it was anti-swag.

You are correct. My mistake. I should have chosen my words more carefully.

And even though you called me "dud," I will assume you meant "dude." No hard feelings. ;)

:( auto check doesn't underline if a misspelling results in an actual word. :)

Anyway... as for the topic of the thread, I've seen some weird things in caches. ...

Broken pocket knifes. Or supper cheep poket knifes. Cheep pocket knifes are actually dangerous to use - don't inflict that on people.

ALL knives are dangerous when found by young children who arrive at a cache container ahead of their accompanying adult(s). That’s why knives of any kind are specifically forbidden by the guidelines, along with porn, matches, lighters and drugs.

... but a half-eaten doughnut, regardless of the history of the doughnut, is just lame.

Food of any kind is also a very bad idea. When I find any of the above prohibited items in a cache, I remove them.

Beyond those specific things, I am generally careful not to make any value judgments regarding which guideline-compliant trade item is trash and which is treasure. For all I know some six-year-old girl proudly placed that dingy McToy or that golf ball into her daddy’s cache, and the two of them are watching to see who takes it. Besides, I have been caching many times with groups which included young kids, and I am almost always surprised at what they value.

By all means, please remove the half-eaten doughnut and the rusty knife. But please leave the rock and the bottle cap. I have no use for rocks and bottle caps, but some people collect that stuff. My own daughter actually makes jewelry out of such things.

I just started Geocaching two days ago and for the new members, just finding the dang location is a great prize in itself. Around where I live in Virginia, there are probably 20 elemetary and middle schools, so most of the caches will yield kid type stuff. Luckily, I bought my house from a guy who had two young kids and I probably collected 20 or so small toys from the lawn, cupboards and other kid hiding places which is now starting to find its way into the caches. I'm not into Geocaching to turn a profit on the finds. For that I use the stock market...........

Actually, I wanted to post a longer note with some things that we have found for under $1 to use for SWAG that we think adults would find a use for or enjoy, but I'm too tired tonight... save that for tomorrow. Point is, it CAN be done without breaking the bank, while still giving adults a fun surprise to find when they reach a cache.

What I wanted to add now was something I observed in reading cache pages today. If someone is truly interested in keeping their SWAG from deteriorating, I saw several ideas that I thought would be a great idea, and not just for the "value" issue. They looked fun, too! These were folks who have a cache with a theme. For example, I saw one cacher who set up his cache to be oriented toward spreading music around the world. He specifically requested that someone visiting his cache, intending to trade, bring a music CD with them. He had stocked his cache with all different types of music (country, classical, bluegrass, pop, etc.) and encouraged people to bring their favorite CD to share with others.

I think this is a great idea! Not only would it guarantee a nice find for someone who WANTS this, but the idea in itself is really cool! Maybe if you're not into music, this one isn't for you. But for someone like me, I'm always looking for new music to enjoy.

Another one I ran across was exclusively bath products "for pampering." Imagine all the themes that could be created with reasonably priced items that would be fun for folks who have specific interests. Gosh, someone could even create one with a golf theme, in which case the infamous golf ball (one in good shape, of course!) would be a welcome find! :P

I would not count on themes being followed closely. They seldom are.

I'm sure you know better than we do. We are so new to this. However, I think it is a shame. It sounds like it could add another interesting twist to the sport. Also, I neglected to give credit to Gitchee-Gummee above for suggesting this idea. I guess it took actually seeing some cache pages for it to make sense.

I know I'm probably going to catch hell for this, but I have to write it. In the little time I have been reading the cache notes, I have found it rather sad that there seems to be trend (perhaps this is only in our area... we are in the Phoenix area in Arizona) for geocachers to be so focused on quantity rather than quality (not just quality of the SWAG, but quality of the experience.

Most of the comments on the cache pages here don't comment on the experience with the cache, but rather mention how many caches they "picked up" that day. Often they are in the neighborhood of 30, 40, even 50 caches in one day. Obviously, this couldn't happen if so many of our caches weren't so easily accessible. I would guess that over 90% of the caches in our immediate area (a 15 mile radius) are a difficulty factor of 1 - 1.5. I guess this is what you all are referring to as something like "park and go." Why is anyone interested in how many caches someone found in one day? Personally, I would rather read comments about their experience in finding the cache, comments about the cache itself, and especially the area and how they enjoyed the hunt.

In defense of our fellow cachers, I will say that we have been having a terrible time thinking of where to hide a cache. If it isn't going to be a micro cache or something very easy to find, then we have the choice of putting it on private property, or in the desert. The desert is very dangerous, especially to people who do not respect our wildlife, and take children and pets into natural desert areas without proper precautions. We have deadly rattlesnakes, scorpions like crazy, coyotes that are becoming more aggressive because some ignorant humans have taken to feeding them, javelina that will charge if they take a notion, Bobcats and Mountain Lions and, of course some serious thorns from cactii and indiginous flora. :P As a result, we don't have any really safe, yet challenging places to hide larger caches, unless it will call for a serious hike.

I know this was kinda off topic, but I felt I needed to explain our constraints to fend off more hate mail, :D but back to topic, in an area such as ours, a theme cache could be a plausible way to stay away from "lame SWAG."

I've been doing this for 3 months. I have not found one cool piece of swag until last week. At least, IMO.

I carry brand new magnetic nanos and bison tubes for trade.

It took 77 finds to get this:

Photoon2009-10-13at0841.jpg

I couldn't believe it. Awesome patch!

It was in GCQX2J Blackbeard's Point. Thanks to whoever dropped this.

I left a bison tube.

:D

Edited by Count Fartula