Alaska Banned Cacher

I recently went on a trip to Alaska to visit a relative, when I pulled up the caches I was going to do there were notes on all the size 3+ caches saying that there was a Theif that was stealing all the TBs and Geocoins out of the caches and to not leave any. As it turns out their is a Geocacher there "themaninstripes" that appearently was banned from Geocaching and is still rushing right out and getting most all of the FTFs even though he can't log them online, and then taking all the trackables.

Scubasonic

Edited by Scubasonic

I recently went on a trip to Alaska to visit a relative, when I pulled up the caches I was going to do there were notes on all the size 3+ caches saying that there was a Theif that was stealing all the TBs and Geocoins out of the caches and to not leave any. As it turns out their is a Geocacher there maninstripes that appearently was banned from Geocaching and is not still rushing right out and getting most all of the FTFs even though he can't log them online, and then taking all the trackables.

Scubasonic

Easy enough to put together a sting on the guy. If that were happening near me, I would totally bust him.

I recently went on a trip to Alaska to visit a relative, when I pulled up the caches I was going to do there were notes on all the size 3+ caches saying that there was a Theif that was stealing all the TBs and Geocoins out of the caches and to not leave any. As it turns out their is a Geocacher there maninstripes that appearently was banned from Geocaching and is not still rushing right out and getting most all of the FTFs even though he can't log them online, and then taking all the trackables.

Scubasonic

Emphasis mine -- was the "not" not intended there? (I leave in words on accident all the time and face a d'oh moment when I realize they're still there). That being said, that's a sad situation because one person can wreck aspects of the game for everyone else. Does this cacher steal the caches? If not, a small silver lining because the caches remain. I would guess that giving this person publicity is exactly what he/she wants and is exactly the wrong thing to do. I guess my thinking is to not give these people any recognition publicly and keep it to the local community to try to deal with that frustrating ugliness :) Sorry you were impacted in that you couldn't leave travel bugs... glad you weren't impacted otherwise. Also I guess I don't see why it's any sort of deal that he or she runs out and finds the caches first. The bigger (and I mean issue vs non) issue is that he or she is stealing the trackables that don't belong to this person. It's too bad that it's happening but I guess bringing attention to it does't seem to be constructive.

Edit: parentheses closing that was incorrect :)

Edited by mrbort

Scubasonic

Easy enough to put together a sting on the guy. If that were happening near me, I would totally bust him.

Not sure I get you here... How easy would it be? Put out a cache, stake it out and hope that the guy bites? Shine your flashlight on whoever is the FTF? How would you tell that it's mystery cacher. Stings take a LOT of effort, time, labor and luck. In the videogame world yeah put out bait and bad guy will come. In the real world, it means putting out a cache that's a valid, nice cache, somehow observing said cache from the time it's published to the time it's found by the cache bandit, somehow interrogating or something the finders, being left with ambiguous evidence and finally having no real recourse. Better to just not give this person zero recognition, place members only caches for a while and try to not feed the geo-troll. That's my take on it....

Scubasonic

Not sure I get you here... How easy would it be? Put out a cache, stake it out and hope that the guy bites? Shine your flashlight on whoever is the FTF? How would you tell that it's mystery cacher. Stings take a LOT of effort, time, labor and luck. In the videogame world yeah put out bait and bad guy will come. In the real world, it means putting out a cache that's a valid, nice cache, somehow observing said cache from the time it's published to the time it's found by the cache bandit, somehow interrogating or something the finders, being left with ambiguous evidence and finally having no real recourse. Better to just not give this person zero recognition, place members only caches for a while and try to not feed the geo-troll. That's my take on it....

Your take on it is appreciated but I would still put a sting out. I have done a stake-out when people were ripping off my construction site. A Pizza and carbonated beverages and a friend can make a stake-out less boring.

There is a vid of a guy being stung stealing caches.

The key is the culprit is going after FTF caches. Easy enough to catch those guys.

Scubasonic

Your take on it is appreciated but I would still put a sting out. I have done a stake-out when people were ripping off my construction site. A Pizza and carbonated beverages and a friend can make a stake-out less boring.

The key is the culprit is going after FTF caches. Easy enough to catch those guys.

Okay but how do you identify the culprit if he/she isn't taking the caches? Apprehend all of the other FTF mavens and make them prove their geocaching identity? Slowly compile a case against this person by repeated stakeouts (agony!)? I still don't see it as being a viable solution but then again I'm not Mr Bort, P.I.

Still don't see it as easy or even reasonable.

Okay but how do you identify the culprit if he/she isn't taking the caches? Apprehend all of the other FTF mavens and make them prove their geocaching identity? Slowly compile a case against this person by repeated stakeouts (agony!)? I still don't see it as being a viable solution but then again I'm not Mr Bort, P.I.

I won't give up all of my stealth secrets but it is easy enough to bust someone with repetitive behavior patterns.

I won't give up all of my stealth secrets but it is easy enough to bust someone with repetitive behavior patterns.

Thank you for injecting a moment of levity here :) I seriously laughed out loud. But seriously though how would you identify this mystery person who comes in, logs a FTF and moves the travelers along? I'm seriously curious and mine was a non-glib question.

Scubasonic

I remember that guy from these forums! He was a real knucklehead. Apparently still is too. :)

Scubasonic

If he is getting FTF's then he has premium member buddies feeding him info or he has a premium member sock puppet that GS did not shut down.

Jim

I think I might have missed something. Don't put trackables in any caches because the maggot might get FTF on a cache with trackables in it? Wouldn't that mean he's not FTF?

I think the trackables and FTF issues are separate. First, I think the FTF issue is a non-issue. Who cares if he's getting FTF except folks who are going for, and failing, at being FTF themselves?

The theft is the issue and if he's stealing from any cache then good luck on a sting. You'd pretty much have to clear out all trackables from the area and drop a juicy one in a cache and stake out that cache. You'd also have to hope that it's not a local who wants the opportunity to move on a rare trackable or simply wants to rescue the trackable before the maggot grabs it. When you do find someone how do you vet them? Do you keep a mug shot of every known cacher in the area? Frisk them? Bright lights and rubber hoses?

Yeah, good luck with that.

Scubasonic

I remember that guy from these forums! He was a real knucklehead. Apparently still is too. :)

Doing a quick search, the user is neither banned or active. That aside, what was the purpose for the OP?

Edited by baloo&bd

Also, I just looked up three variants of "maninstrips" and none are banned from the site. Searching the forums, the user "TheManInStrips" is the one we're familiar with.

Co-winky-dink?

Still, this doesn't tell us the account he is using to get his information, but could tell us he's organized and thinking ahead. While Groundspeak does have measures to track users, they're not omnipotent. Dial up, fresh computer, etc. can insulate one user account from another and it still be the same person.

Can I imagine his smiling, monitor-lit face as he reads these words? Sure. Here's the thing, a thinking maggot would already know the refrain of "don't give him attention and he'll go away." Knowing that, will he? Only when he gets bored. But, see, he knows that folks will know those trackables go missing. He doesn't need the feedback to know folks are fuming over it and talking in private.

I doubt this guy will go away anytime soon.

Just curious, what would you do with him if you caught him and DID know it was him?

I suppose it would be really community building to get the other cachers in the area together for pizza to plan this out. THen you would know the other cachers and you would know if someone showed up who wasn't a cacher in the area. I suppose in Alaska this might be possible because there aren't as many people up there. Just contact people from the log books.

So how would you deter him if you caught him?

Could you talk to the police up there and see if you can get him for stealing (the travelbugs)? Not likely. He'd just say he was saving them all for a trip or something.

TIe him up and leave him at the cache site until the next day?

Turning the caches into member only caches would tell whether he really does still have an account or not.

If he's finding FTF member only caches then you need to talk to Groundspeak about this guy still having an account.

This is a tough one.

What does this guy want? Attention? Just to piss people off most likely.

Some people do seem to thrive on driving others crazy. I used to have a boyfriend like that.....

:)

So how to drive him crazy to drive him away without doing anything illegal yourself?

What would make this guy find another game?

What would make this guy mad enough or bored enough to find another game?

I guess you could look at is as he's not out there terrorizing old ladies and babies, because if he wasn't doing this he'd probably be doing real damage somewhere.

Pathological Psycho's like him need to act out and be mean somehow. At least he's not hurting anyone focusing his attention on this game.

Scubasonic

You are too cool for me.

Scubasonic

You are too cool for me.

If I remember rightly, Bittsen is capable of computer hacking, though, so of course he would have first hacked into the "suspect's" computer and checked for clues.

Scubasonic

You are too cool for me.

If I remember rightly, Bittsen is capable of computer hacking, though, so of course he would have first hacked into the "suspect's" computer and checked for clues.

And you wonder what you ever did to get on my nerves..

I have to remind you that you never know who is on the other side of the screen.

As I said... repetetive behavior is easy.

Don't mean to derail, but what exactly gets a cacher banned from the site? Is it ever temporary or always permanant?

Oh, I could use a derail right about now. Most bannations probably happen from zany hijinks right here in the forums. I don't believe I've ever heard of one that is considered permanent. I know of a guy who was banned, and came back like 2 years later after he "asked nicely" to come back.

And you wonder what you ever did to get on my nerves..

Using smileys? Sorry... I didn't realize you didn't like them.

I have to remind you that you never know who is on the other side of the screen.

I just took a look... there is nobody on the other side of my screen. Just a few dust bunnies.

[edited to remove smiley placed after that last sentence. How quickly we forget!]

Edited by knowschad

I wish I had the kind of free time that you do... Spending many hours (and money on pizza) to catch this bozo. If I was the police officer that showed up, I'd probably haul you away for wasting my time!!! And those that suggest taking any action against this person beyond wagging your finger at him/her, you'd be the only one calling your loved ones from jail to bail you out.

...As it turns out their is a Geocacher there "themaninstripes" that appearently was banned from Geocaching and is still rushing right out and getting most all of the FTFs even though he can't log them online, and then taking all the trackables....

There is only a problem if he's not putting those trackables into other caches in a reasonable amount of time.

Banning someone from using a website doesn't prevent them from participating in caching. However it does prevent them from key logs that would be appreciated. Like the movment of TB's.

I wish I had the kind of free time that you do... Spending many hours (and money on pizza) to catch this bozo. If I was the police officer that showed up, I'd probably haul you away for wasting my time!!! And those that suggest taking any action against this person beyond wagging your finger at him/her, you'd be the only one calling your loved ones from jail to bail you out.

Yes, I have lots of free time and I'm happy about it.

And who said the police would ever be involved? <_<

Yes, I have lots of free time and I'm happy about it.

And who said the police would ever be involved? <_<

Okay, I've been trying to bite my tongue but what are you gonna do, beat the guy? Tazer him? Threaten him with something now that you know what he looks like (and possibly have his tags?). Impersonate a police officer to "bust" him? Explain nicely or even heatedly that you've spent quite a bit of time and money eating pizza waiting for him and that could he please stop? The first ones would, without a doubt, land you in jail and possibly prison. I just don't see the last one working

Okay, I've been trying to bite my tongue but what are you gonna do, beat the guy? Tazer him? Threaten him with something now that you know what he looks like (and possibly have his tags?). Impersonate a police officer to "bust" him? Explain nicely or even heatedly that you've spent quite a bit of time and money eating pizza waiting for him and that could he please stop? The first ones would, without a doubt, land you in jail and possibly prison. I just don't see the last one working

I can't answer you because of two words.

Plausible deniability.

~LOL~

And you asked before, I just didn't answer. I doubt you ever bite your tongue trying not to give your opinion, or question someone elses.

Okay, I've been trying to bite my tongue but what are you gonna do, beat the guy? Tazer him? Threaten him with something now that you know what he looks like (and possibly have his tags?). Impersonate a police officer to "bust" him? Explain nicely or even heatedly that you've spent quite a bit of time and money eating pizza waiting for him and that could he please stop? The first ones would, without a doubt, land you in jail and possibly prison. I just don't see the last one working.

I have to agree with this. And let's not forget that guy might get violent as well.

About the worst you can do is to record the episode and post the result online. Whether that will do any good, or merely give the guy more publicity which he obviously craves and encourage him further, is debatable.

I can't answer you because of two words.

Plausible deniability.

~LOL~

And you asked before, I just didn't answer. I doubt you ever bite your tongue trying not to give your opinion, or question someone elses.

You'd be surprised at the efforts I make to not be snarky or rude. When I am (hey, I'm human!) I admit it and try to make amends. Last night I posted regarding your comments to the Person Who Claims to Have Some Acquaintance wit Chad. The post was made after a long day tramping about and I was tired. I thought better of my post and deleted the content because I just felt like it wasn't constructive. There are countless times that I say nothing because I have nothing positive (whether it be topical or humorous) to say. When I saw and continue to see your posts tacitly suggesting illegal behavior, I felt like it was incumbent upon me to respond. My tongue is bloody.

To suggest tacitly that people take the law into their own hands is irresponsible at best and adding a LOL at the end doesn't soften what you said; instead it makes it that much more worrisome.

Edit to soften a word and also note that I will not be posting in response to this thread or really in response to this type of provocation anymore.

Edited by mrbort

he was banned because he threatened other members and used very vulgar language in PM's to those members. I should know...I was one of them. His pile of coins in his unpublished cache likely did not help, either. If I recall, he changed his name and got a free membership, so he got emails of published caches..and in Alaska...unlike West Michigan, you can wait a few minutes becore the hornets nest of FTF hounds is stirred to the cache.

he was banned because he threatened other members and used very vulgar language in PM's to those members. I should know...I was one of them. His pile of coins in his unpublished cache likely did not help, either. If I recall, he changed his name and got a free membership, so he got emails of published caches..and in Alaska...unlike West Michigan, you can wait a few minutes becore the hornets nest of FTF hounds is stirred to the cache.

Thanks I actually never knew why he was banned but it does not surprise me, I just wonder it it is a temporary ban or permanent.

Scubasonic

Thanks I actually never knew why he was banned but it does not surprise me, I just wonder it it is a temporary ban or permanent.

Scubasonic

I know of one person that was temporarily banned and all of his caches were archived. His account was reinstated shortly after I started geocaching and most of his archived caches were unarchived and enabled. I've found several of them and had a few nice conversations with him via email. I have no idea why he was originally banned nor do I care. From what I heard, he was on some kind of double secret probation for while but he's now an active premium member.

Explain nicely or even heatedly that you've spent quite a bit of time and money eating pizza waiting for him and that could he please stop?

Perhaps people could share the left over pizza and bond with him (we are assuming its a guy for some reason) until he agrees to donate his geocoin collection to charity.

I have some nice coins that I woud like to get miles but I don't trust them in caches because I know some of them will go missing. That is why I am making a copy of them at Kinkos. They will be in heavy duty plastic and they will be able to travel around while I keep the original coin. If it goes missing I will make another copy of it.

I have some nice coins that I woud like to get miles but I don't trust them in caches because I know some of them will go missing. That is why I am making a copy of them at Kinkos. They will be in heavy duty plastic and they will be able to travel around while I keep the original coin. If it goes missing I will make another copy of it.

<_<

I HATE those! (not to mention that the post is off-topic, as is my response)

Explain nicely or even heatedly that you've spent quite a bit of time and money eating pizza waiting for him and that could he please stop?

Perhaps people could share the left over pizza and bond with him (we are assuming its a guy for some reason) until he agrees to donate his geocoin collection to charity.

I hate it when people ignore perfectly reasonable stereotypes... If 95% of serial killers arrested happen to be men, it means either a) Men are usually serial killers or <_< women are good at not getting caught... I'll go with (A)....

It's been my experience that generally men behave in the manner that this "person" is behaving.. I think it's reasonable to assume that this is a guy.

I hate it when people ignore perfectly reasonable stereotypes... If 95% of serial killers arrested happen to be men, it means either a) Men are usually serial killers or <_< women are good at not getting caught... I'll go with (A)....

Hmmm... never quite looked at it that way. I think I'll take ( B ). And not simply in the serial killer category.

Edited by knowschad

Although I see why you are doing this I never was a big fan of just moving a piece of paper along (paper copy of a Geocoin) instead of the real thing, just isn't the same, and I will not do it. But I think this is a little OFF TOPIC, now back to the thread.

Scubasonic

It's been my experience that generally men behave in the manner that this "person" is behaving.. I think it's reasonable to assume that this is a guy.

Um,men are usually serial killers? Seems like kind of an extreme assumption.

Um,men are usually serial killers? Seems like kind of an extreme assumption.

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to come up with statistics on the perpetrator's gender, but did find some statisics (sans verification) on other aspects: http://www.fortunecity.com/roswell/streibe...3/inf_stats.htm

The serial killer statistics -

The USA has 76% of the worlds serial killers.

Europe in second, has 17%. England has produced 28% of the European total; Germany produces 27%, and France produces 13%.

California leads in the US with the most Serial Homicide cases that have occured. Texas, New York, Illinois, and Florida follow shortly behind.

Maine has the lowest occurence of serial murders - none. Hawaii, Montana, North Dakota, Delaware, and Vermont each have had only one case of a serial murder.

84% of American killers are caucasian.

16% are black.

Men make up at least 90% of the world wide total of serial killers.

65% of victims are female.

89% of victims are white.

44% of all killers start in their twenties.

26% start in their teens.

24% start in their thirties.

Out of all the killers, 86% are heterosexual.

I think that gof1 was pointing out that this info shows that serial killers are usually men, not that menare usually serial killers...

You are absolutely correct.... I totally missed that ;) My wife would say that most men are pigs, but I agree that most men are not serial killers :D