Interesting Coordinates

I've always been fascinated by GPS and how numbers can be associated to a specific point on Earth. Thus, I'm interested in hiding/seeking caches with cool coordinates (interesting sequences of numbers, or those exactly on a grid line). Do any other cachers share this interest? Any recommendations?

I'm on vacation/holiday in London right now, and I'm surprised there aren't many caches exactly on the prime meridian in Greenwich. A number of them are really, really close, but GC1HWE4 is the only one I've picked out so far that is exactly on 000° 00.000. I did read something on the forums about Greenwich Park caches being removed a while back, so that might explain some things...

The ultimate cache would be at N/S 0° E/W 0° (not exactly sure how that would work out in the ocean)!

The ultimate cache would be at N/S 0° E/W 0° (not exactly sure how that would work out in the ocean)!

5/5 cache requiring scuba gear and a large boat? :lol:

"Sunken to 4000', this cache requires trained divers, a fishing boat converted to scientific research and a grant from the UN."

Edited by Arrow42

I've always been fascinated by GPS and how numbers can be associated to a specific point on Earth. Thus, I'm interested in hiding/seeking caches with cool coordinates (interesting sequences of numbers, or those exactly on a grid line). Do any other cachers share this interest? Any recommendations?

I'm on vacation/holiday in London right now, and I'm surprised there aren't many caches exactly on the prime meridian in Greenwich. A number of them are really, really close, but GC1HWE4 is the only one I've picked out so far that is exactly on 000° 00.000. I did read something on the forums about Greenwich Park caches being removed a while back, so that might explain some things...

You might not find that many physical caches at Lat/Long confluence points (i.e.N 33 00.000, W 88 00.000) you;ll occasionally find puzzle caches that use them for the published coordinates.

A couple of years ago I was looking at a puzzle cache and thought, based on the cache description, I knew what kind of object it was hidden in (I was right). The cache description indicated that the cache was located "near" the published coordinates so I went to see if I could find that object near the published the coordinate, which I soon discovered were smack dab in the middle of a woman dormitory building near our nearby University. The CO had a different definition of "near" than I did, so I ended up having to solve the puzzle to find the cache.

Thus, I'm interested in hiding/seeking caches with cool coordinates (interesting sequences of numbers, or those exactly on a grid line).

Probably the best one for you in the UK is GC591B which has LOTS of zeros in it. FOr obvious reasons it's a virtual.

The reason there are so few in Greenwich is that the Royal Parks Authority have banned caches and have required them to be removed. Also remember that the meridian line as marked on the ground is based on the OSGB datum, not WGS84 and the two "lines" are therefore offset by about 100 metres (which is why if you stand astride the meridian line at the Royal Greenwich Observatory with your GPS it will NOT show E/W00 00.000

I have chased several degrees of confluence http://www.confluence.org while out caching.

I have hunted several in Washington State.

One is not far from Granite Falls. Got to within 100 feet I think, but it is located on private property and I do not know anyone in the area.

The other was along the Washington Coast. The confluence placed it in the front yard of a house. I rang the bell and knock, but I guess no one was home. Didn't want to trespass just for this, so I had to let it go. I think I was about 50 feet away.

Whenever I go on holidays, I take my Delorme Gazette mapbook and check for confluences.

One is not far from Granite Falls. Got to within 100 feet I think, but it is located on private property and I do not know anyone in the area.

The other was along the Washington Coast. The confluence placed it in the front yard of a house. I rang the bell and knock, but I guess no one was home. Didn't want to trespass just for this, so I had to let it go. I think I was about 50 feet away.

You could have logged both of those, their guidelines are 'within 100 meters' which is a good 300 feet.

Thanks, everyone, for the responses!

dakboy, j.ollie, and Fuzzywhip: confluence.org is awesome - thanks for sharing! It reminds me a bit of geoHASHing! http://wiki.xkcd.com/geohashing/Main_Page

va griz: I just logged GCF55A... very cool!

Bear and Ragged: thanks for the bookmark. I went through all of them and bookmarked the ones in Greenwich. I DID do GCK7HH, per your recommendation (will probably log it tonight). I liked that one because, though it is a virtual, you still have to visit it. And no risk of muggles, because everyone there is taking photos (albeit, not with a GPS). :-)

I ended up not having very much time in Greenwich, due to my family's tight vacation schedule, but I did want to get a picture of my GPS reading out 0° 0' 0", so I RAN over to GC1HWE4... it was quite the adventure!