Go The Extra Distance - for a better cache.

R.O.B

Sometimes the difference between just another parking lot cache and a decent cache in a cool area is only a

couple of hundred feet. So next time you're placing that cache, look around and there just may be a more

challenging place closer than you think.

This is only about 200-250 feet.

105f2540-b5a7-46e2-a082-5dd682ff6707.jpg

From this

0e1f94be-935d-4377-9776-b8c23b019f17.jpg

And this is only 200 feet

45d79e6e-5f65-4409-86b3-1838b1d14d43.jpg

From this

9fbb5227-bd2b-4466-ac30-284edc0107f6.jpg

My boyfriend and I went caching in this area called Dartmouth Crossing here in Nova Scotia. There were some basic magnetic micros and then there were some that were equidistant from all the buildings but were in this great hiking system.

But it made me sad to think that once, the entire Dartmouth Crossing area was beautiful woodland like the fringes. Now it's mostly parking lot.

Anyway, yes somethings there are great spots very close, and you need to go exploring to find them! But that also means that you can't dismiss a cache just because it appears to be near a shopping complex as an LPC.

Good thread. There is a spot about .3 of a mile from where I live called "Collegetown". It a small area where a large number of the local university student population live in high rise apartments with a high concentrations of restaurants and bars.

About a block from this interesection:

2420962367_9b4631387d.jpg

There is a bridge as you're entering Collegetown from campus. The bridge spans a gorge with a waterfull that's about 85' high just below:

320508.jpg

Yes, there is a cache just a bit futher downstream near this spot:

casc1.jpg

Good thread. There is a spot about .3 of a mile from where I live called "Collegetown". It a small area where a large number of the local university student population live in high rise apartments with a high concentrations of restaurants and bars.

About a block from this interesection:

<snip>

There is a bridge as you're entering Collegetown from campus. The bridge spans a gorge with a waterfull that's about 85' high just below:

<snip>

It's a block away. It's not like an easy micro next to Starbucks is blocking the other location.
snake1i.jpg

What a cutie! I caught one of those just a few feet from my latest hide, during an event a couple weeks ago.

1d5ab4ea-6839-45e7-b688-09d963c62edc.jpg

Come on, now... that's not you. You're short & fat and wear sunglasses, a snow suit and stocking cap. Nice try.

Oh yeah, it's Riffster all right. I was there with about 13 others and witnessed the fun. :)

Shortly after he released this guy, we all had to cross the creek about 3 feet from where it took refuge.

That was a very exhausting but very fun day!

Oh yeah, it's Riffster all right. I was there with about 13 others and witnessed the fun. :anibad:

Shortly after he released this guy, we all had to cross the creek about 3 feet from where it took refuge.

That was a very exhausting but very fun day!

Oh, I see... so Rifter's Avatar is all a big lie, then... I get it now!! :)

About a block from this intersection:

<snip>

<snip>

It's a block away. It's not like an easy micro next to Starbucks is blocking the other location.

I didn't think that this thread was about proximity issues. I saw it more as a "if you're going to place a cache in a general area, look around a bit and you might find a nicer spot if you take the effort to walk more than a few steps from where you park." The cache in the gorge near the spot depicted in the last photo has been there for about five years. That Starbucks has only been there about a year and even though I only live about three blocks away I've never been into it, nor do I have any desire to place a cache there.

do u know how to download the maps to a gps system

It's been a while, but I can get you in the general direction, if you're using a Garmin.

Hopefully someone with more computer savvy will correct any errors I make.

1 ) Install your copy of Mapsource onto your computer.

2 ) Open the program. A large map will display.

3 ) Select the geographic regions you want to upload into your unit. They should highlight pink. (I think)

4 ) Plug your Garmin into your computer using the USB cable supplied.

5 ) Click the "Send To GPS" button.

-Done