Take a Penny – Leave a Penny

This question is NOT if you agree or disagree with ALR’s by verify a find with a CO.

I have an idea for a lamp post cache with a difficulty of 5. Yes I said 5. The cache is going to be (IMHO) a lame hide a key but will be 80- 100 feet high on the side of the light pole. The pole is HUGE and yes I actually obtained permission to put one on it and have a way to place and retrieve it without your feet leaving the ground.

Here is the question. Would an ALR to take a single penny out and leave another be out of the question.? The finder would have to e-mail me the date they took and the date they left. This way the verification code word would always be changing so the valid code expires after each find to prevent sharing. I don’t care about people padding their numbers, I just want to make this one legit for those really up to the challenge.

At a minimum I’m leaving a silver coin for FTF with the same requirement.

Thoughts (other than liking / not liking additional log requirments)

This question is NOT if you agree or disagree with ALR’s by verify a find with a CO.

I have an idea for a lamp post cache with a difficulty of 5. Yes I said 5. The cache is going to be (IMHO) a lame hide a key but will be 80- 100 feet high on the side of the light pole. The pole is HUGE and yes I actually obtained permission to put one on it and have a way to place and retrieve it without your feet leaving the ground.

Here is the question. Would an ALR to take a single penny out and leave another be out of the question.? The finder would have to e-mail me the date they took and the date they left. This way the verification code word would always be changing so the valid code expires after each find to prevent sharing. I don’t care about people padding their numbers, I just want to make this one legit for those really up to the challenge.

Not out of the question, but it will probably be met with resistance.

Here is the question. Would an ALR to take a single penny out and leave another be out of the question.? The finder would have to e-mail me the date they took and the date they left. This way the verification code word would always be changing so the valid code expires after each find to prevent sharing.

Some issues to work out:

* Five cachers visit together, log it, and take various amounts of time to email you. In the meantime, seven other people visit the same day and "don't really remember what time" they were there.

* SuzyQ comes by and logs the cache, but she never logs her finds online. JoeSmith also stops by and because he knows you are trying to use that system to keep track of things, he waits for SuzyQ to log online (because he saw her name on the log). And he waits and he waits...

*Meanwhile, MrGrudge logs the cache and when he emails you he tells you that he didn't see the signature of his arch enemy MrToo Cool, although TooCool has logged the cache online and given you a penny date that seems to match up

*except whoa, wait, by some random chance, four other people use the same date. They weren't there at the same time, but they were there the same day--or so they say..that makes five and you believe MrGrudge so you delete TooCool's log

*It turns out that TooCool and another person were there together, and they accidentally switched coin dates in their notes...You've already deleted TooCool's log and now it turns out that no one has seen the coin with the date that MrGrudge had said he left

*Three people on their way to one side of the country to the other stop by and sign and leave coins--but they won't log their find until sometime next week, or the week after

*Meanwhile, ClutzyMan has dropped the cache down into the sewer while logging it, and while he does manage to retrieve it, some signatures are pretty blurry

*JoeNeverMissesACache can't find it, so he presumes it's missing and leaves a "spare" ---Three people sign it before you realize there has been an unneeded replacement...Three other people find the first one before you can get back there to fix it, and they all email you to ask what's up with most of the people who are logging it not signing it?

*LittleCindyLouWho finds it and logs it but forgets the date of the coin

Wouldn't it just be easier for you to go check on the signatures once in while?

Won't signing the logsheet in the cache be enough verification??

Yes - but I'm guessing it is going to be a pain on the rear even for me to retrieve it. I have a way I’ve tested at 30 feet and placing was easy but the retrieving part took time (and a little luck). I’m sure at 3-4 times the height it isn’t something I want to verify via paper log every time.

Neos2 - Great story and valid points. But, how much traffic would a LPC 100 foot in the air get?

Edited by WatchDog2020

....The finder would have to e-mail me the date they took and the date they left. This way the verification code word would always be changing so the valid code expires after each find to prevent sharing. ....

When I first read this, it sounded like a very clever idea.

The issue I see is that not all cachers log their visit online. And some don't log for several days because of being busy, on a vacation, etc. So if a cacher swaps pennies, and doesn't send the email and another cacher comes along who does send the email, they wouldn't have the same date as you have on record. There's no real way for you to know if your date is valid and their's isn't. If you are just wanting to see how many different dates go through your cash, this wouldn't be that big of an issue, just a missing penny now and then. If you are going to use this as a verification like you said, then you may be challenging some of the legit finds.

I like the sounds of the hide itself.

Steve

Here is the question. Would an ALR to take a single penny out and leave another be out of the question.? The finder would have to e-mail me the date they took and the date they left. This way the verification code word would always be changing so the valid code expires after each find to prevent sharing.

Some issues to work out:

* Five cachers visit together, log it, and take various amounts of time to email you. In the meantime, seven other people visit the same day and "don't really remember what time" they were there.

* SuzyQ comes by and logs the cache, but she never logs her finds online. JoeSmith also stops by and because he knows you are trying to use that system to keep track of things, he waits for SuzyQ to log online (because he saw her name on the log). And he waits and he waits...

*Meanwhile, MrGrudge logs the cache and when he emails you he tells you that he didn't see the signature of his arch enemy MrToo Cool, although TooCool has logged the cache online and given you a penny date that seems to match up

*except whoa, wait, by some random chance, four other people use the same date. They weren't there at the same time, but they were there the same day--or so they say..that makes five and you believe MrGrudge so you delete TooCool's log

*It turns out that TooCool and another person were there together, and they accidentally switched coin dates in their notes...You've already deleted TooCool's log and now it turns out that no one has seen the coin with the date that MrGrudge had said he left

*Three people on their way to one side of the country to the other stop by and sign and leave coins--but they won't log their find until sometime next week, or the week after

*Meanwhile, ClutzyMan has dropped the cache down into the sewer while logging it, and while he does manage to retrieve it, some signatures are pretty blurry

*JoeNeverMissesACache can't find it, so he presumes it's missing and leaves a "spare" ---Three people sign it before you realize there has been an unneeded replacement...Three other people find the first one before you can get back there to fix it, and they all email you to ask what's up with most of the people who are logging it not signing it?

*LittleCindyLouWho finds it and logs it but forgets the date of the coin

Wouldn't it just be easier for you to go check on the signatures once in while?

That hurt my head.

Yes - but I'm guessing it is going to be a pain on the rear even for me to retrieve it. I have a way I’ve tested at 30 feet and placing was easy but the retrieving part took time (and a little luck). I’m sure at 3-4 times the height it isn’t something I want to verify via paper log every time.

Neos2 - Great story and valid points. But, how much traffic would a LPC 100 foot in the air get?

Probably a lot more than you think...Some cachers just can't stand to have a cache near them unfound, others like a good challenge. If you hide it, they will come.

You don't have to check it after every cacher visits---you could do it once or twice a year.

Probably a lot more than you think...Some cachers just can't stand to have a cache near them unfound, others like a good challenge. If you hide it, they will come.

You don't have to check it after every cacher visits---you could do it once or twice a year.

You have a point. I do think the FTF would be appropriate and I could control it. My luck they just stick it to the base after they are done - LOL.

Actually, now that I think about it, the real issues here are:

1. Are you really that concerned about verifying every log?

and more importantly...

2. Anyone who has access to this forum now knows that you are thinking about putting a cache 80-100 ft up a pole, and there is a way to get it down without climbing. So if I were in your area, that would make my find quite a bit easier.

Steve

You might consider just asking people to post a photo of themselves attempting retrieval of the cache. People are probably going to post spoilers in their logs so it's unlikely that you're going to be able to keep the location a secret. I bet you'd end up with a fun collection of photos in the gallery.

We have a cache similar to what you describe (though not as extreme) near here:

S4CZ #5 high voltage (GC10YXW)

Actually, now that I think about it, the real issues here are:

1. Are you really that concerned about verifying every log?

and more importantly...

2. Anyone who has access to this forum now knows that you are thinking about putting a cache 80-100 ft up a pole, and there is a way to get it down without climbing. So if I were in your area, that would make my find quite a bit easier.

Steve

1) No not really – just a thought. I DO want to confirm FTF

2) There is one guy I know for sure that reads but doesn’t post (Hi K&:). I’m guessing he’ll go for it but I’m not disclosing the how to get it part and it will be clear in the listing how high it is. The aerial view on the cache page will tell all the ‘locals’ exactly what pole it’s on. I’ll get an accurate starting height when I place it and finding it and signing it are 2 very differnt things.

Edited by WatchDog2020

I do like the sounds of the hide. I have an idea of how you're going to do it, but that's just my idea and probably wrong.

Anyway, back on topic. I don't know of any real way to verify each find without visiting the logbook except a pic of each cacher with the cache in hand. Most earthcaches I've done required a pic of me with GPSr at the location, so that ALR is possible. As far as a code in the container, or the penny-penny idea, there are flaws and ways around each one if someone really wanted to.

Steve

You should change the log at least once a year. If you find any log that is not signed on the physical log then feel free to post a wall of shame on the cache page.

I have seen SEVERAL caches in trees that have logs like. "I seen it but was not able to reach it. TFTC" I am sure that you will have to deal with those that "don't get it". They are after a smilee, and each one should come with little to no effort.

Edited by undertree

not a problem. Might work. It will quickly end up on my ignore list though.

Jim

not a problem. Might work. It will quickly end up on my ignore list though.

Jim

Jim - you place caches that are over 2,200 miles away from you on your ignore list - That is dedication !

Edited by WatchDog2020