Visited the GPS maze yesterday

I visited the GPS Adventure maze yesterday in Rochester, NY and had a lot of fun with it. I was a bit surprised to find that there didn't seem to be anyone at the maze representing Groundspeak. There were a few Geocaching related items that could be purchased at the gift shop (including the RMSC Maze Series 03 collectors geocoin) but the two guys at the desk knew next to nothing about the exhibit, geocaching, or even GPS technology in general.

While in the maze we were supposed to search for four caches, get a number stamped at each location (I guess that they were technically all letterboxes) then do a little puzzle at the end. As it turned out, however, there was a problem with one of the caches. It seems that the urban micro cache "Needs Maintenance" as it was missing. I found it kind of ironic.

The rest of the museum was lots of fun as well.

I assume that there were a few geocachers in the maze but I don't know because I didn't see anyone with a GPS and nobody had any nametags or anything else to identify themselves.

I know people from Groundspeak make appearances at these, but I think to send someone there to stay the entire time it is active would be pretty costly for them.

I kinda figured that and there is going to be an "event cache" on the 7th but I guess I expected there might be *someone" there as you entered/exited the maze. It seemed like it might be a good opportunity for a local geocaching club to set up a table to hand out information and answer questions from interested muggles, even if it was just on the weekends.

I know people from Groundspeak make appearances at these, but I think to send someone there to stay the entire time it is active would be pretty costly for them.

I kinda figured that and there is going to be an "event cache" on the 7th but I guess I expected there might be *someone" there as you entered/exited the maze. It seemed like it might be a good opportunity for a local geocaching club to set up a table to hand out information and answer questions from interested muggles, even if it was just on the weekends.

Is that you volunteering? ;)

NYPaddleCacher - Is it worth running up their with my 9 & 10 year old sons. BTW - I'll be the one wearing my Ultra Geek 'TFTC' T-shirt if we go ;)

EDIT: Just took Feb 7th off from work to attend the event there

A chance to get 4 NEW icons - we are so there

maze.gif GC1KHH5

6.gif GC1KK1J

1858.gif GC1KXQ4

11.gif GCGPW1

Edited by WatchDog2020

Is that you volunteering? ;)

No, but only because it's two hours away from home.

Shauna from Groundspeak will be there on the 7th. Also on the 7th, the local Rochester geocaching org will be there helping out with the event. When I was there this past weekend, there was somebody from the museum at the maze entrance answering questions and helping out.

I asked the guy who set up the maze about the missing micro. When they unpacked it something broke off or got lost (forgot what he said.) They were going to repair it, but I thought it would have been done over the weekend.

I didn't even know about the coin until afterwards. I'll have to stop by the museum shop this week sometime to pick one up.

Here is a link to the event on the 7th of Feburary: GPS Adventures Maze Event.

I've been to both the Maze and to the event held at the same location (Indiana). I would recommend both to any geocacher who has interest in the history of the GPS system, the history of geocaching, and likes to have fun. It's educational and fun - all at the same time. That's saying a lot in today's high tech, multi tasking world to entertain and educate both adults and kids.

If you go on Feb 7 you will get a double benefit - an event smiley and a GPS Maze smiley (along with a brand new icon for most cachers). And usually, you get the added benefit of meeting someone from Groundspeak. I see that someone has mentioned Shuana will be attending. A great lady, who BTW lead the development of the GPS Maze exhibit.

I think it's worth a 2 hour drive - heck I drove 3.5 hrs!

While you're there you should also check out the brand new Wherigo cache on the Museum grounds: RMSC Wherigo.

There are also 30 geocaches within a 2 mile radius of the Maze, including 3 letterboxes and an EarthCache.

Now those are the kind of numbers that excite me. Unfortunately, one number discourages me: 392 miles, as the crow flies, from my house!

Deane

AKA: DeRock & the Psychic Cacher - Grattan MI

I visited the GPS Adventure maze yesterday in Rochester, NY and had a lot of fun with it. I was a bit surprised to find that there didn't seem to be anyone at the maze representing Groundspeak. There were a few Geocaching related items that could be purchased at the gift shop (including the RMSC Maze Series 03 collectors geocoin) but the two guys at the desk knew next to nothing about the exhibit, geocaching, or even GPS technology in general.

While in the maze we were supposed to search for four caches, get a number stamped at each location (I guess that they were technically all letterboxes) then do a little puzzle at the end. As it turned out, however, there was a problem with one of the caches. It seems that the urban micro cache "Needs Maintenance" as it was missing. I found it kind of ironic.

The rest of the museum was lots of fun as well.

I assume that there were a few geocachers in the maze but I don't know because I didn't see anyone with a GPS and nobody had any nametags or anything else to identify themselves.

I was there about an hour after opening, and of course the micro was missing then. They also had some of the stamp boxes in the wrong rooms, but they were in the process of fixing it. We also noticed none of the Groundspeak merchandise in the gift shop had any prices on it. I assume a price would come up if the cashier tried to scan it. :P The Rochester Maze geocoins definitely do, as one of the members of my party bought one ($10.80).

All in all, a few minor glitches that are to be expected with the first weekend at a new location.

Watchdog2020: Go for it!! My personal opinion of the maze was that it was even better than expected. ;)

NYPaddleCacher - Is it worth running up their with my 9 & 10 year old sons. BTW - I'll be the one wearing my Ultra Geek 'TFTC' T-shirt if we go :lol:

EDIT: Just took Feb 7th off from work to attend the event there

A chance to get 4 NEW icons - we are so there

maze.gif GC1KHH5

6.gif GC1KK1J

1858.gif GC1KXQ4

11.gif GCGPW1

I will be attending the event on the 7th of February. My question is whether someone will be at the event on the 7th that has the capabilities to do the Wherigo cache? If so, can you please email me through my profile.

I generally attend the events as well, but the launch was too close to the arrival of my second child. My wife wouldn't be too happy if I left this close to B-day.

You are in good hands with Shauna :lol:

You mean you do things other than geocache and play with the website? Early congratulations!

It's definitely worth a trip for something completely different than you're used to. Everybody in there (even the muggles!) seemed to enjoy it. I liked hearing people pronounce geocaching for the first time. I didn't think there was any other way of saying it, but there was!

RIT had some sort of video running with a wide screen that was still getting set up. There are hidden cows (?) around somewhere, but on opening day it wasn't complete yet.

I head the museum had loaner GPSs to find the hidden caches on the museum grounds. There are 3-4 temporary caches hidden that are not listed on this site.

Plan to visit the planetarium next door.

Here is a link to the event on the 7th of Feburary: GPS Adventures Maze Event.

I've been to both the Maze and to the event held at the same location (Indiana). I would recommend both to any geocacher who has interest in the history of the GPS system, the history of geocaching, and likes to have fun. It's educational and fun - all at the same time. That's saying a lot in today's high tech, multi tasking world to entertain and educate both adults and kids.

If you go on Feb 7 you will get a double benefit - an event smiley and a GPS Maze smiley (along with a brand new icon for most cachers). And usually, you get the added benefit of meeting someone from Groundspeak. I see that someone has mentioned Shuana will be attending. A great lady, who BTW lead the development of the GPS Maze exhibit.

I think it's worth a 2 hour drive - heck I drove 3.5 hrs!

While you're there you should also check out the brand new Wherigo cache on the Museum grounds: RMSC Wherigo.

There are also 30 geocaches within a 2 mile radius of the Maze, including 3 letterboxes and an EarthCache.

Now those are the kind of numbers that excite me. Unfortunately, one number discourages me: 392 miles, as the crow flies, from my house!

Deane

If I recall the number of devices which support Wherigo caches is pretty limited. I can't really justify buying a Colorado/Oregon right now and since I'll be getting an iPhone in a couple of weeks can't justify getting a PocketPC either.

While there *are* quite a few caches within a 2 mile radius it's worth noting that there is quite a bit of snow in Rochester, with another 8-10 inches forecasted by the end of the week. I looked for a few caches on Saturday and was thwarted by deep snow on all of them. I'm not sure it ever got above 15 degrees while I was there and I had my "doesn't really care for geocaching much" 5 year old son with me so I hardly got to do any geocaching at all.

I *might* go back on the 7th since last weekend was more of a family weekend getaway trip rather than a geocaching trip.

I was there about an hour after opening, and of course the micro was missing then. They also had some of the stamp boxes in the wrong rooms, but they were in the process of fixing it. We also noticed none of the Groundspeak merchandise in the gift shop had any prices on it. I assume a price would come up if the cashier tried to scan it. :lol: The Rochester Maze geocoins definitely do, as one of the members of my party bought one ($10.80).

Some of the Groundspeak merchandise was labeled but they had a green laminated sheet at the checkout counter with the "actual" prices. I picked up a knit hat that was actually $4 less than what was on a tag on a couple of the hats.

Some of the merchandise was outside the gift shop and some of it (like the travel bug tags) were inside. Looking at the "Shop at Groundspeak" page it looks like the prices on the green sheet are the same as what is being charge at the website.

I didn't notice the geocoins until after I bought the hats. They were in an acrylic display case at the checkout counter. The two guys working the ticket counter didn't know anything about geocaching and referred the Groundspeak merchandise as "the new stuff".

I didn't realize that there were any temporary caches there (I grabbed the published cache located in the parking lot though). I didn't see anyone "official" that appeared to have anything to do with the exhibit.

There were quite a few people in the maze when I went through (about 12:30pm) and so far only 12 people have posted "attended" log.

If I recall the number of devices which support Wherigo caches is pretty limited. I can't really justify buying a Colorado/Oregon right now and since I'll be getting an iPhone in a couple of weeks can't justify getting a PocketPC either.

While there *are* quite a few caches within a 2 mile radius it's worth noting that there is quite a bit of snow in Rochester, with another 8-10 inches forecasted by the end of the week. I looked for a few caches on Saturday and was thwarted by deep snow on all of them. I'm not sure it ever got above 15 degrees while I was there and I had my "doesn't really care for geocaching much" 5 year old son with me so I hardly got to do any geocaching at all.

I *might* go back on the 7th since last weekend was more of a family weekend getaway trip rather than a geocaching trip.

I hear you on the expensive hardware needed to participate in the Wherigo experience. I'll ask MickEMT if he can arrange a group experience that day.

Yeah, I "feel your pain" about the snow. We've had 89" of snow so far this season, but only about 12" on the ground currently. It's the cold temps that are the killer right now for us, only in the teens for highs.

Deane

It's definitely worth a trip for something completely different than you're used to. Everybody in there (even the muggles!) seemed to enjoy it. I liked hearing people pronounce geocaching for the first time. I didn't think there was any other way of saying it, but there was!

RIT had some sort of video running with a wide screen that was still getting set up. There are hidden cows (?) around somewhere, but on opening day it wasn't complete yet.

I head the museum had loaner GPSs to find the hidden caches on the museum grounds. There are 3-4 temporary caches hidden that are not listed on this site.

My group stumbled upon one of the temporary caches while doing the Wherigo cache. You shouldn't have to stumble on it, by the way. It was a rather large plastic container, and the card inside definitely made it sound like the museum was going to loan out GPSr's for people to find them. As we were leaving, we spotted another one on the museum grounds. These are extremely easy beginner caches. I doubt most geocachers would be terribly interested.

Oh yeah, and per NYPaddlecacher's observation, I'd say the overwhelming majority of people that were there when I was were muggles.

Hope you posted a Need Maintenance log! :lol: It wasn't missing when I found it in Connecticut. (Is this a moving cache?!?)

I did enjoy the exhibit. The museum in Hartford did have loaner GPSrs for finding the temporary caches. But with the 75 mile trip back home, we didn't have much time, and the nearby permanent caches were worth smileys. :D Love my Discovery geocoin!

I'll be there on Saturday!

And I'll be getting two new icons as well (The other being a benchmark). I already have a Wherigo, but we're fortunately going down with another cacher who has an Oregon!

Could you please PM me the benchmark. We don't have that icon yet. The local benchmarks just didn't seem worthy (lol)

Edited by WatchDog2020

And I'll be getting two new icons as well (The other being a benchmark). I already have a Wherigo, but we're fortunately going down with another cacher who has an Oregon!

Could you please PM me the benchmark. We don't have that icon yet. The local benchmarks just didn't seem worthy (lol)

Next time you're up in Ithaca you might try searching for this one. It's pretty easy to find. NB1793 and NB1797 are just a couple of blocks from my house and are pretty easy to spot as well.

There is a nice benchmark in the adventure maze that is a replica of the one on Mt. Ranier. I had to check if this was the benchmark that Taoiseach was referring to but it's not. It looks like there is one at .1 and one at .2 miles from the coordinates of the maze. Don't search of the one at .1 miles (OF1797). It's been missing since 1983.

Next time you're up in Ithaca you might try searching for this one. It's pretty easy to find. NB1793 and NB1797 are just a couple of blocks from my house and are pretty easy to spot as well.

There is a nice benchmark in the adventure maze that is a replica of the one on Mt. Ranier. I had to check if this was the benchmark that Taoiseach was referring to but it's not. It looks like there is one at .1 and one at .2 miles from the coordinates of the maze. Don't search of the one at .1 miles (OF1797). It's been missing since 1983.

NYPaddleCacher - Thanks, you are always very helpful. BTW I saw more FRESH bear tracks yesterday in the same area you saw them before. If early enough we are going to swing by Ithaca on our way home on 2/7 so we may go for that benchmark.