What's an LPC?

Ok, I know somewhere there's list of terminology used in this hobby and I probably should check there, but what's an LPC? To put it in context an Op on another post said an LPC doesn't deserve a 100 word log entry. Sorry about being lazy, but this one has me stumped and for some reason I suspect this one won't be in the list of geocaching terminology page. Thanks in advance for educating me on this. Happy caching everybody! :angry:

it's the geocaching equivalent of herpes.

:D:angry:

To be more helpful, LPC = Lamp Post Cache, typically a micro hidden under the metal or plastic "skirt" that covers the anchor bolts and base plate at the bottom of your typical parking lot area light.

The first one ever hidden was an original, creative hide. But like a virus, the idea kept spreading from parking lot to parking lot and country to country, each one just like the last one. If you want to raise your find count you'll love LPCs. If you like creative hides they you'll learn to avoid them like, well, a virus.

Ok, I know somewhere there's list of terminology used in this hobby and I probably should check there, but what's an LPC? To put it in context an Op on another post said an LPC doesn't deserve a 100 word log entry. Sorry about being lazy, but this one has me stumped and for some reason I suspect this one won't be in the list of geocaching terminology page. Thanks in advance for educating me on this. Happy caching everybody! :angry:

LPC stands for "Licensed Professional Counselor". The term is quite relevant to geocaching simply because many who enter this sport quickly become addicted to it, and their behavior surrounding geocaching rapidly becomes very obsessive-compulsive. It is at about this time, or at least after a few months of this bizarre behavior, that their loved ones, or, less frequently, their employers, force them to enter therapy with a licensed psychiatrist or a licensed professional counselor (LPC) or a licensed clinical psychologist. As a result, LPCs are often looked upon with scorn and with great fear and loathing by many addicted/obsessive-compulsive geocachers, for they fear that they may one day be forced to visit such practitioners.

it's the geocaching equivalent of herpes.

:D:angry:

To be more helpful, LPC = Lamp Post Cache, typically a micro hidden under the metal or plastic "skirt" that covers the anchor bolts and base plate at the bottom of your typical parking lot area light.

The first one ever hidden was an original, creative hide. But like a virus, the idea kept spreading from parking lot to parking lot and country to country, each one just like the last one. If you want to raise your find count you'll love LPCs. If you like creative hides they you'll learn to avoid them like, well, a virus.

Ah, but not always. I challenge you to find this one: Just Another LPC

It has driven us nuts for a year and now that we are 200 miles away, I think I've finally figured it out. For the most part they're lame. We have one. I don't like it. But now and then a creative one pops up.

-galaP-

The first one ever hidden was an original, creative hide.

I rather suspect that the first one hidden was a film canister, and that the lamp post was in a parking lot. Two huge strikes on the Lamometer. :angry:

BTW, I think it's really kewl that there are still places on the planet where someone who has been caching for 5 months, and has over a hundred finds, hasn't experienced the utter drivel that is the dreaded LPC. Let the urban micro bashing begin! I'll grab the pitchforks... somebody fetch the torches! Whoo Hoo!! :D

...BTW, I think it's really kewl that there are still places on the planet where someone who has been caching for 5 months, and has over a hundred finds, hasn't experienced the utter drivel that is the dreaded LPC.

:huh:

We've got over 500 finds: we've never found one. I'm not sure that there are any here in U.K.

In fact, a few years ago, when I saw a "skirt lifter" geocoin for sale on Ebay I thought, :) "That sounds dodgy."

MrsB :)

<Now just waiting for a fellow UK geocacher to spring up from this side of The Pond and tell me where I can find plenty of UK LPCs. :D >

Edited by The Blorenges

Thanks to everybody for your inputs. Now that I see the answer it seems obvious. Have a great night all! :)

It's a good question.

Check out http://geolex.locusprime.net/

Happy caching.

Thanks for the informative answer. I've gone ahead and bookmarked the site you directed me to so next time I'm stumped (which happens more frequently the older I get) I'll be able to easily look up the answer for myself.

Even the forums are a form of geocaching. Ask a question and then hunt to find the real answer. :huh:

True, but I have to admit it is so fun looking through all the clever responses. As somebody who's not a real funny person I always admire the talent in other peoples responses.

Thanks everybody as usual it was educating and entertaining!!!! Happy Caching!!!! :)

Someone mentioned geocaching Flash Mobs. now I've seen and heard about regular Flash Mobs, basically a LOT of people flood a street, park, mall,ect and mill about, do crazy things, ect. What in the heck is a geocaching flash mob event. I saw there was one around here a couple of months ago.

Thanks from a newb!

Finding my first one after just starting in this was very educational. Enjoyed it.

BrrrMo

Sort of the way it goes for most the first one is cool, unusual. You think "Hey, that was thinking out side the box." But that won't last. After a while they become just another cache. "#X of X for today. TFTC" Great if you want to stack up some numbers or if the wife is buying shoes near by but not likely to make the best of lists.

Yes, each and every cache is a gift from the hider to finder but lets face it, some gifts are nicer than others.

OK folks, flame away because my opinion isn't pc. tongue.gif

Someone mentioned geocaching Flash Mobs. now I've seen and heard about regular Flash Mobs, basically a LOT of people flood a street, park, mall,ect and mill about, do crazy things, ect. What in the heck is a geocaching flash mob event. I saw there was one around here a couple of months ago.

Thanks from a newb!

Same thing and just as silly only with coords posted on GC.com. Silly doesn't mean bad.

If you look at Acronymfinder.com, A LPC is a

Licensed Professional Counselor

***** LPC Liberal Party of Canada

***** LPC Landmarks Preservation Commission (New York City, NY)

***** LPC Legal Practice Course (UK)

***** LPC Linear Predictive Coding

***** LPC Low Pin Count

***** LPC Linear Predictive Coding (Speech Processing)

***** LPC Line Printer Control

***** LPC Low Power Consumption

**** LPC Local Procedure Call

**** LPC Low Pay Commission (UK)

**** LPC lysophosphatidylcholine

**** LPC Libertarian Party of Canada

**** LPC Low-Pressure Compressor

**** LPC Loss Prevention Council (UK)

*** LPC Local Pharmaceutical Committee (United Kingdom)

*** LPC Least-Preferred Co-Worker

*** LPC Lesotho People's Congress

*** LPC Laser Particle Counter

*** LPC Les Pensions Complémentaires (French)

*** LPC Libertarian Party of California

*** LPC Late Payment Charge

*** LPC Lighting Playback Controller (theater lighting systems)

*** LPC Lipocortin

*** LPC Licence Proficiency Check (UK aviation)

*** LPC Laser Power Controller

*** LPC Long-Period Comet

*** LPC L-propionylcarnitine

*** LPC Laboratory for Paleoclimatology and Climatology (University of Ottawa, ON, Canada)

*** LPC Leather Personnel Carrier (boots)

** LPC Launch Pod Container

** LPC Longitudinal Parity Check

** LPC Little People of Canada

** LPC Local Processing Center

** LPC Lam-Platzman Correction

** LPC Liquor Picis Carbonis (Latin: Coal Tar Solution)

** LPC Limiting Permissible Concentrations

** LPC LandPro Corporation (Houston, TX)

** LPC LAN Party Coalition (gaming)

** LPC Lazy People Company

** LPC Low Order Path Connection

* LPC Linear Programming Classification

* LPC Light Paraffin Conversion

* LPC Local Proxy Cache

* LPC Local Procurement Contract

* LPC List Process Company

* LPC Livestock and Poultry Commission (Arkansas)

* LPC Livermore Projects Committee

* LPC Lighthouse Power Controller (Coast Guard)

* LPC Logarithmic Polar Coordinate

* LPC Lurker Player Character

* LPC Low Pressure Container

* LPC Low-Power Characterization

* LPC Low Power Command

* LPC Log Port Connection

* LPC Light Production Color (market segment for printers)

Of course, the closest one that I see is to this Lifestyle is "Lighthouse Power Controller"

The Steaks

P.S. In the Acronym attic, is our use...

Edited by eagsc7
Yes, each and every cache is a gift from the hider to finder but lets face it, some gifts are nicer than others.

If that is the case, the LPCs are the fruit cake of geocaches.

I've said this before and I'll say it again, There's nothing wrong with fruit cake!

:huh:

If you look at Acronymfinder.com, A LPC is a

**** LPC Loss Prevention Council (UK)

I'm going to go and find out their address and stick a LPC near their front door ASAP :)

MrsB

Edited to insert the right sort of 'their' and thus avoid a knuckle-rap from flask :)

NO NO NO! Don't listen to them.

LPC is short for Licensed Political Cache, the only type authorized by the Federal Government for the collection of campaign funds and promotion of politically incorrect double-speak.

I have one of these caches out there, but decorum requires that I make you locate it the hard way, no hints, as that would be politically incorrect to assist someone who has enough education to read and/or hold a job. The rules for said cache are quite clear, you can log this cache only after making a sizable campaign contribution to the cache owner, thus validating your opinion and/or statements as worthy of merit and existence. These opinions thus stated in your cache log, after meeting the contribution requirement adequately, are then printed out and locked in a vault out of reach of the FBI thus protecting you from harassment as being unfeeling, Christian, normal, or even Patriotic. Contributions to the cache are not tax deductible, as the requirements for claiming said deduction(s) would then require acknowledgment of the existence of said statement(s) and aforementioned vault. However, said contributions made to cache owner through this cache earn you the promise that if I am elected, you will be appointed to a public office comparable to the size of your donation, irregardless of your qualifications, in the best traditions of American politics.

Oh yeah, please donate bills, checks, and bonds only, as the crows like the shiny coins and keep stealing them.