Colorado, Oregon, Triton?

Hey gang, I've been using an eXplorist 500 LE for a year or so now, and it's getting fairly beaten up. It still works ok, but I just can't resist the next gen handhelds. I have read a few early reviews of the Garmins and Magellans, and they were mediocre at best. Have they all been updated with bug fixes? I really like the Colorado series, but not sure if I want to pony up the coin, only to have something half functional. So, I am asking owners of the next gen units for their honest opinions...

Hey gang, I've been using an eXplorist 500 LE for a year or so now, and it's getting fairly beaten up. It still works ok, but I just can't resist the next gen handhelds. I have read a few early reviews of the Garmins and Magellans, and they were mediocre at best. Have they all been updated with bug fixes? I really like the Colorado series, but not sure if I want to pony up the coin, only to have something half functional. So, I am asking owners of the next gen units for their honest opinions...

I got myself a new Colorado for Christmas and although it was not love at first sight, I am learning to appreciate it. My old unit didn't resovle in feet, just .01 mi. and .00 mi. (Garmin GPS80 circa 1992) so at my first cache the Colorado was jumping around by 50-75 ft. I was upset. Now I hear that this is normal. It does have reception Far superior to my old one; leaves, trees, buildings, valleys, Hah! no prob. The only 'bug' I've noticed is that when I mark a waypoint, I get the hourglass icon and it doesn't go away until I exit that screen, everything works fine, you just have to look past the hourglass. There are so many features that it'll be a while until I learn them all. I do feel that Garmin is now pushing their Oregon series much harder and I think that this means that it is their direction for the future, so they might support that product for a longer time. But I can't recommend the Oregon as I have not used one. That is my humble opinion for what it's worth, I hope it helps.

I purchased a Colorado back in April from REI, used it on and off, never very happy with it. If I had my 60csx and the Colorado, I would be using the 60csx by the end of the hike. Returned the Colorado to REI and did a straight trade for a Oregon 300. Best decision I ever made. Hope that helps.

After 3 defective Colorados, I now have an Oregon and it works great.

What was the defect with them?

All three leaked water into the battery compartment. A well documented problem with the CO's. Take a look where the back cover slides onto the body of the unit. There is a gap where it meets the body. Garmin subsequently admitted the battery compartment is IPX5, not 7. They issued a new back cover.

The first unit had the severe drift problem. I think this has been subsequently fixed with firmware.

The second unit died completely. Displayed 'system software missing' and would not boot. I had to send it back and wait 5 weeks because they didn't have any replacement units.

Garmin finally gave me an OR in exchange after the third unit. I use it for search and rescue and the CO is just not reliable in all weather conditions, IMO.

I have an Oregon 300 that I use for caching. I'd say its as accurate as my 60csx for caching. Had them both out on a cache the other day. One I had dnf'd before, they both lead me to the same spot It wasn't the gps, I was not creative enough in my search. I'll stick with my Oregon. Paperless caching and the touch screen is the way to go.

You Oregon users, what do you have to say about the screen outdoors. I have seen many say they returned their Oregon because they where unable to see the screen outdoors. I am wanting to get one but....

I had a 60CSx for over a year and got a Colorado 300 when they first came out. I had to use the backlight more than I preferred, but I didn't think it was unacceptable. Just a week ago, I managed to get an Oregon 400t and have used it since. It really isn't that much worse than the Colorado in "real world use" for me. I found that I can use the Oregon with no backlight during the daylight, and with just a little in the dark. Where I have the hardest time seeing the screen is in the twilight time in the early morning or early evening. Then I need just a bit more backlight on to see the screen well.

If you are coming to an Oregon from a 60CSx or some other older Garmin, I could see how you might not like the screen until you have had a chance to use it for a while and adapt to it. I like the expression that someone else used recently. They treat it like having the backlight on full is normal and turning it down is just an extra battery saver feature.

You Oregon users, what do you have to say about the screen outdoors. I have seen many say they returned their Oregon because they where unable to see the screen outdoors. I am wanting to get one but....

I had a 60CSx for over a year and got a Colorado 300 when they first came out. I had to use the backlight more than I preferred, but I didn't think it was unacceptable. Just a week ago, I managed to get an Oregon 400t and have used it since. It really isn't that much worse than the Colorado in "real world use" for me. I found that I can use the Oregon with no backlight during the daylight, and with just a little in the dark. Where I have the hardest time seeing the screen is in the twilight time in the early morning or early evening. Then I need just a bit more backlight on to see the screen well.

If you are coming to an Oregon from a 60CSx or some other older Garmin, I could see how you might not like the screen until you have had a chance to use it for a while and adapt to it. I like the expression that someone else used recently. They treat it like having the backlight on full is normal and turning it down is just an extra battery saver feature.

Thanks, getting closer to making the jump.

Thanks, getting closer to making the jump.

I use my colorado on my snowmobile with the backlight on all day and still can go all day on a set of NI-MH rechargables.

The triton is very accurate, but compared to the explorist it is very very clunky the only thing you can add to the sd card is mapping no cache files like the explorist. To go to a cache it takes at least twice as many key strokes, and the same for almost everything else

If you like magellan I'd suggest getting a li-on battery for the explorist and a charger for it and wait for a few more firmware upgrades on the triton, although right now it can load the full gc page plus the decrypted hint if your a premium member and use gpx files.

Right now I use my triton strictly for backup. I have one explorist that I have used for almost 4 years and bought a 2nd one for backup

I used my Oregon the other day on 50% lighting in sunny conditions. It was dim but still readable for me (I'm 23 years old). My dad on the other hand (50 something odd years old) wasn't able to read it. Not sure if it I can say it's vision related since we both wear contacts.

...I'm not really sure if this post helps... :)

I have had a Triton 2000 since Dec. 07 when they came out. They had problems at first but now with the most recent firmware I think it is a great unit. The screen is a little dim in daylight though. Otherwise, it is extremely acurate and tracks 8 or 9 sats. normally. I don't agree with the above post about lots of inputs to goto a cache but maybe the 400 is different. I highly recommend the 2000

IIRC, CES 2009 is going on right now in Las Vegas, Nevada (USA). You may want to wait and see if any of the GPS makers release any announcements there. You may have something totally new to consider...

Aside from that, I seem to recall that Magellan had recently sold of it's GPSr division (or was that only the car or handheld division, I'm not sure right now). This might mean good or bad news for their GPSr units. Garmin isn't without it's own faults recently either...

While the Colorado isn't a perfect unit I will say that I bought one back in February 2008 shortly after they were released. I used it for 10 months before upgrading to an Oregon. During that 10 months, I believe I found 400-500 caches using that GPSr, so they can't be too flawed. I still have some minor and not so minor complaints about the Colorado line, but I also like many of the features it adds that the older Garmin units (60 CSx, 76CSx) don't have.

I will tell you that my wife still prefers her eXplorist 600 to her Garmin 60Cx. In the end it all comes down to what features you want in a GPSr. Perhaps you should start listing the "must have" features for your new GPSr. Next list the "Nice to have" features. Now you can take those lists and compare them to the different GPSr models that are in your price range and find the one which best fits would be the one you should probably most consider buying... If you do this, I would suggest that you consider comparing your feature lists not to the manufactures documented feature sets, but to the "real world" working feature sets for the GPSr's. This will probably take a little more work on your part but will provide you with a better fit in your new GPSr...

IIRC, CES 2009 is going on right now in Las Vegas, Nevada (USA). You may want to wait and see if any of the GPS makers release any announcements there. You may have something totally new to consider...

Aside from that, I seem to recall that Magellan had recently sold of it's GPSr division (or was that only the car or handheld division, I'm not sure right now). This might mean good or bad news for their GPSr units. Garmin isn't without it's own faults recently either...

While the Colorado isn't a perfect unit I will say that I bought one back in February 2008 shortly after they were released. I used it for 10 months before upgrading to an Oregon. During that 10 months, I believe I found 400-500 caches using that GPSr, so they can't be too flawed. I still have some minor and not so minor complaints about the Colorado line, but I also like many of the features it adds that the older Garmin units (60 CSx, 76CSx) don't have.

I will tell you that my wife still prefers her eXplorist 600 to her Garmin 60Cx. In the end it all comes down to what features you want in a GPSr. Perhaps you should start listing the "must have" features for your new GPSr. Next list the "Nice to have" features. Now you can take those lists and compare them to the different GPSr models that are in your price range and find the one which best fits would be the one you should probably most consider buying... If you do this, I would suggest that you consider comparing your feature lists not to the manufactures documented feature sets, but to the "real world" working feature sets for the GPSr's. This will probably take a little more work on your part but will provide you with a better fit in your new GPSr...

Thanks GreekBoy, I might as well wait a few weeks and see what come out of IIRC, CES 2009.

I have had a Triton 2000 since Dec. 07 when they came out. They had problems at first but now with the most recent firmware I think it is a great unit. The screen is a little dim in daylight though. Otherwise, it is extremely acurate and tracks 8 or 9 sats. normally. I don't agree with the above post about lots of inputs to goto a cache but maybe the 400 is different. I highly recommend the 2000

Since I havent played with the touch screen model tritons I can't speak for them but I do know the 400 extremely well, if cache info could be loaded onto the sd card like the explorists you could load a lot more then 1000 caches. I have 30 files in my cache folder on my sd card for my explorist, each one for a different city here in so cal each one with at least 100 caches to 200 caches max I can update each file as I go thru the area I can also mark caches as found and it gives me the time and date when I mark them as found.

Like I mentioned in the earlier post the triton is very accurate but I think the explorist is just as accurate.

I love the way the triton loads the gpx files with all the cache info that was one of the best things magellan did for cachers.

Like I said earlier a few more firmware upgrades and hopefully it will be a great unit :unsure:

Hey, I'm on the fence about the 60csx or the Colorado 400t, and was wondering in anyone knows the max sd card size for the Colorado, thanks.

Both units support SDHC (60csx needs the latest firmewear) So either unit will except whatever size SDHC can go to (that's over 16 GB for sure). The big difference though is that the 60csx can't parse a map files larger than 2gb.

Hey, I'm on the fence about the 60csx or the Colorado 400t, and was wondering in anyone knows the max sd card size for the Colorado, thanks.

Both units support SDHC (60csx needs the latest firmewear) So either unit will except whatever size SDHC can go to (that's over 16 GB for sure). The big difference though is that the 60csx can't parse a map files larger than 2gb.

Thanks guys. I picked up a Colorado 300 for $287 shipped. If I don't like it I can sell it and get something else. It will only used for geocaching, and as long as it will get me within a few feet I'm good.

What is the difference between the Colorado 300/Oregon 300 and the Colorado 400t and the Oregon 400t? Can anyone tell me if any of these are paperless caching? I have also heard someone having a GPS and they were in a town and they decided to see if there were any geocaches around so, they turned their GPS on and it showed them where they were....does anyone know what kind of model does this? I've been looking at the Colorado 400t and the Oregon 400t and I'm not sure which one to get since I dont know nothing about these technology things (but I am learning). It will only be used for geocaching and on road....and price doesnt matter. I have always heard...you get what you pay for!

Edited by southern_angel

I just made a choice between the Oregon and a 60CSx and chose the Oregon. I was leaning toward the Oregon because it is a much more use-frriendly device for geocaching in tandem with Mac computers than the 60CSx is. But, my biggest issue was also the screen dimness. So, I had both units shipped out. I put batteries in both, turned them on, and went outside on a sunny day. The 60CSx was brighter than the Oregon with full backlight on - but only slightly. I had no trouble reading it, and I am 50 with poor eyesight (I wear glasses).

To improve readability, here's what I do:

1. Swap out the dark background images on the Oregon for a white background. The website gpsfix.net has already-made white screens in the proper size that you can download, plus instructions on how to install them. This will give better visibility no matter whether the backlight is on or not, because the preinstalled images on the Oregon are dark with a lot of pattern, and this just confuses the issue with the screen as dim as it is.

2. Use rechargeable batteries for better battery life/less cost (or at least use lithiums, so the charge level doesn't drop off halfway through the life of the battery - the Oregon can't run full backlight with half used alkaline batteries).

3. Set frequently used profiles to adjust certain settings such as map shading etc. The gpsfix.net website also has instructions on how to do this and how to set different profiles for different readability needs.

4. Angling the screen away from direct sun and using your hand as a shade.

I have been using this device for the last few days to find caches, and have had it outdoors in direct sun. Using the above suggestions, I am having little trouble reading the screen. The slick geocaching-specific features more than make up for the slight dimness. Plus, if you do late evening or night caching, you will LOVE this screen in lower light conditions. Some portable electronic screens have TOO bright of backgrounds in low light (my cell phone screen gives me a headache to look at in the dark - it is so bright with no way to turn it down).

My biggest negative is the inability to delete caches from the device itself.

However, weighing all the pros and cons, I love the Oregon so far and am happy with the purchase.

I had the Colorado for about 2 weeks and was unhappy with it because of drift problems, lack of waterproofing, etc. I've had the Delorme PN-40 for about a month and love it. It does everything Delorme says it will do and they have great tech support and forum support. Does Garmin even have a forum? I only ask since I see so many Garmin related questions posted here.

We've had a CO 300 since February. We like the unit, but still have issues on things we have expected it would do and doesn't. Most everyone in this area is using the 60csx. Some even bought new ones for Christmas. We went on the bleeding edge and added a Delorme PN-40 to our collection. We expect it will be everything the CO should have beeen and more.