Firefox - what are the advantages

the pooks

I am a pretty conservative individual and reluctant to change, but I thought I would give Firefox a go since it has gotten positive publicity lately.

I used it for a few days and have reverted to you-know-what for the following reasons:

1. I did not perceive any improvements for the stuff I did, so I thought I would stick with the familiar because then I did not have to get used to a different layout.

2. The word "favourites" sat more comfortably than "bookmarks" although this should not be an issue.

3. Adding something to "favourites" went more smoothly than adding a "bookmark"

4. When you start typing a URL the suggestions that pop up in Firefox are more detailed and cluttered than the suggestions that pop up in IE.

Other than the above I did not perceive any difference. I suspect this topic has been covered in a lot more detail here and elsewhere, but it would be appreciated if the geeks out there could enlighten me and perhaps persuade me to try something new - as the saying goes : "a change is as good as a holiday"

Please help

You've only scratched the surface. The address bar is exceptionally powerful. Add on a few extensions like Greasemonkey (there are several Greasemonkey scripts which enhance gc.com) and Adblock Plus, and your browsing experience will be transformed.

Not to mention the lack of security holes you can drive a truck through like what IE has. Firefox is also much faster.

I'm not sure how adding a Favorite in IE can go "more smoothly" than a Bookmark in Firefox. It's a nearly identical process. CTRL-D is the quickest way on both.

Chrome is a nice experiment, but I went back to Firefox because I need my extensions.

I've always liked firefox, but it stopped working a few weeks ago. Anyone know what would cause this?

Create a new profile to see if it's the program, or just some of your settings. http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Managing+profiles

FYI, "it just stopped working" doesn't help other people help you. It's about the same as telling your mechanic "the car makes a funny noise" over the phone and asking for a diagnostic without any further information.

You can break tabs off and make it it's own window, or put two windows together as tabs; plus you can open chrome and it opens all the tabs where you left off. and your most used site are right in your face in a new tab

All of those are already available in Firefox as extensions or base functionality, or will come with the next release.

Hi, my name's Don and I'm a former IE user,

:D

I have no desire to participate in the browser wars, but it seems that the security updates come almost as fast for Firefox as they do for IE, and Chrome had five updates released the day after the browser was released. IMO, they are all vulnerable, if the right bad guy is trying hard enough. That's why it's essential to have other measures in place.

I will relate my experience, however. I'm usually of a mindset that if it's not broke, don't fix it. I was happy to use IE. It worked. One day, a forum that I had been a part of since about 1993, switched it's interface. I ended up with a screen full of ads, plus, users could now add giant images to their sig lines. It became a hide and seek contest just to find the actual content. I had heard about Firefox and the Adblock extension, so I gave it a try. Poof, no more ads. No more obstructive images. I loved it. I ended up using Firefox for just that site and IE for everything else. As I only used Firefox for that one site, I had no real comparison of the two browsers.

One day, I opened one of my cache links in Firefox and was surprised at how fast it opened. I opened the same link in IE, then went back and forth a few times. Firefox was noticeably faster. I have a very robust computer and if I can notice a difference, there must be a difference. I started opening some other sites. Everything was noticeably faster. At that point, the choice was clear as to what browser I would be using.

More importantly, probably half of my browsing time is spent at CG.com. I looked through Prime Suspects, (thank you), Greasemonkey scripts, installed the ones that would help me, and was simply amazed at how it changed my experience. The one that allows you to only type a TB code once is a miracle.

Later, I found a theme that maximized screen real estate, and an add-on that changed the tabs to work more like IE, (which I did like better). The big blue "E" just sits on my desktop. I don't click it any longer. As a side bonus, I no longer have 8000 "temporary internet files" after 2 days of browsing.

I have no desire to participate in the browser wars, but it seems that the security updates come almost as fast for Firefox as they do for IE, and Chrome had five updates released the day after the browser was released. IMO, they are all vulnerable, if the right bad guy is trying hard enough. That's why it's essential to have other measures in place.

This is the most factual statement I've seen posted in these forums about the different browsers.

Other than that, I'll add some slow responses might be due to the fact most people enable the download the current page everytime rather than view cached contents.

Edited by TotemLake

The coolness of Firefox is the ability to customize the HECK out of it using extensions. :D

For instance... you know all those times when you see a link that is not hyperlinked, like this:

www.apod.nasa.gov/apod

Instead of this:

http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/

There is a very good extension called Linkification that will automatically make the link clickable even though the original person did not do it that way.

AndThenThereAreThoseTimesWhenSomeIdiotWritesInSomeLongLineWithNoSpacesAndItMakesYourScreen

StretchOutWayTooAndCanDriveYouAbsolutelyNuts.

If that happens, just use this extension to break up the line to a reasonable size.

Adblock Plus helps get rid of obnoxious ads that are flashing in your face.

Remove It Permanently lets you right-click and permanently kill any graphic or ad that annoys you.

Now... I am sure that SOMEWHERE out there, there could be a YouTube video that you want to download and keep for yourself...

...and for this particular video, you have perfectly legal, written permission to download according to the originator of the video itself, RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT? :(:lol:

And you would not do something so tacky as to download something illegal, riiiiiiiiight? :lol:

Of course you wouldn't. :D:(

So when it comes time to get a copy of that perfectly-legal-to-download video onto your hard drive, install Fast Video Download, then go grab the free VLC player to play that video for yourself, offline. No problem!

I was using IE a few years ago and I got browser hijacked . At the time I was using IE and getting a few virus's each week . I ended at spywareinfo.com I followed there suggestions to avoid future problems that among other things included the use of Firefox. I can't remember the last time I had spyware or mailware problems. I probably get 3 or 4 virus's a year if that. As has been mentioned there are a bunch of add on flash killers and what not that let you choose what you want to see. I'm very happy with it .

I was using IE a few years ago and I got browser hijacked . At the time I was using IE and getting a few virus's each week . I ended at spywareinfo.com I followed there suggestions to avoid future problems that among other things included the use of Firefox. I can't remember the last time I had spyware or mailware problems. I probably get 3 or 4 virus's a year if that. As has been mentioned there are a bunch of add on flash killers and what not that let you choose what you want to see. I'm very happy with it .

One a year is too many. Since 1992, I can still count on less than one hand how many trojans and viruses I caught (and knocking on wood it stays that way). Spyware on the other hand is the nefarious slowdown of all machines and hackers are all too willing to develop ways of getting around the most popular browsers. As mentioned earlier, there are appropriate programs to guard against this.

My spelling on the otherhand, needs a lot of work. :lol:

Edited by TotemLake

I liked tabbed browsing in Firefox. I think IE recently added it, but I had already converted to Firefox.

I like the foxmarks extension that allows me to synchronize all of my bookmarks with all of my computers giving me the same set of bookmarks on any PC I use.

It also seems like Firefox hangs much less frequently than IE.

This is the most factual statement I've seen posted in these forums about the different browsers.

Other than that, I'll add some slow responses might be due to the fact most people enable the download the current page everytime rather than view cached contents.

The difference is that FF tends to fix all their bugs, while MS is content to let some fairly serious ones hang around for years, with no fix in sight.

Also, the next major FF release will have a blazing fast javascript engine.

There's a lot that I like about FF, but one thing is the ability to add custom search boxes in the upper right corner. I have Amazon, AllMusicGuide, Dictionary.com, eBay, Wikipedia, No Slang (Internet Slang), and Weather Underground, as well as a few more esoteric choices.

Chrome is too bare bones, but I understand that we may be able to add FF extensions to it in the near future. That would be great!

Firefox - what are the advantages

I liked that it had tabs when IE didn't. Now I like how it handles tabs better than IE's methods. Since I use a lot of tabs when browsing this is the killer feature. I like the plugins for Firefox as well. I have found 1 for IE, but FireFox has an army of plug ins for everthing like saving a page as a PDF, RIAA warning when you buy musing on Amazon, Ad Blocking and others that are handy.

IE still displays some pagest that FireFox has problems with. Vice Versa isn't as common. Thus I still use IE. A couple of things I really like about IE is how it saves bookmarks as files. I find it easier to change computers and keep my bookmarks though I've figured it out for Firefox as well. The other thing is that you can save a webpage as a single file. I do this for key webpages like reviews, software that I may try or whatever. This latter one was solved by the the save as PDF plugin for Firefox.

I guess after starting with Mosaic and progressing to Netscape I never really got into the IE thing. Besides IE didn't run very well on my unix workstation so I ended up with FF on it. Seemed to be the right thing to do at home with the windoze box. The blue e just sits there.

Jim