Using the forums for political agenda and social views

KD7MXI

Topics should be geocaching related.

That said, there is never a lack of political and social geocaching related topics. And they always go in cycles.

In fact since it's the new year I'm about to publish the bi-annual schedule of hot topics.

New hot topics should be submitted before Jan 10th to meet the half-year deadline

Thanks!

Edited by BlueDeuce

Should none geocaching political and social issues be tolerated in the Groundspeak forums?

I have no problem people DISCUSSING various non-geocaching issues on the forum. And in fact, such issues already are widely discussed, and have been for a long time. There is a VERY long history of folks -- including very prominent posters on the forums, posting about, and even starting entire threads about any and all of the following issues and realms:

• religious propaganda materials left in caches
  • promotion of various social or religious or political agendas via cache names or cache descriptions, or via travel bugs or geocoins
  • discussion threads for or about geocachers who also happen to be Christians, or Freemasons, or Mormon/LDS, or Scientologists, or Shriners, or members of the Knights of Columbus or the Knights of Malta
  • discussion threads for or about geocachers who are active military, active police or active firemen, or ex-military, ex-police, or ex- firemen, or who are war veterans
  • discussion threads for or about geocachers who are obsessed with Jeeps
  • discussion threads for and about geocachers who were Boy Scouts or Girl Scouts
  • discussion threads for or about cachers who are gay, or lesbian, or bisexual, or who who raise goats, farm llamas, or who are obsessed with cats.
  • discussion threads for and about geoachers who happen to be obsessed with hamsters
  • discussion threads about geocachers who also happen to be famous people

To me, this range of discussion is inoffensive, and harmless, and fun, and it is simply part of the grand and wonderful expanse of life! However, from tone and tenor of your original post, it sounds like something may be sticking in your craw...! ...sounds like you have some particular agenda here... something that is really bothering you.... is there something you want to talk about? :):):)

Edited by Vinny & Sue Team

The geotopic-topic discussion wasn't scheduled until Jan 5th. I'll just have to move things up. Again.

But then when are we going to discuss hamsters and bacon? I thought we where going to kick off the discussion on hamsters right after the first of the year. Also I think we to to have an airing on should we refer to the the canine cachers as pets or companions. I would like to bring up, but not sure I should, the touchy subject of should bovines and other animals be a food source.

Jim

The geotopic-topic discussion wasn't scheduled until Jan 5th. I'll just have to move things up. Again.

But then when are we going to discuss hamsters and bacon? I thought we where going to kick off the discussion on hamsters right after the first of the year. Also I think we to to have an airing on should we refer to the the canine cachers as pets or companions. I would like to bring up, but not sure I should, the touchy subject of should bovines and other animals be a food source.

Jim

mmmmm, bacon :)

Should none geocaching political and social issues be tolerated in the Groundspeak forums?

Why do they even need to be brought up in a geocaching forum? There are plenty of other forums to disuss these topics. Let's keep this place what it is... a gathering place for people with an interest in geocaching to discuss geocaching. No agendas, no politics, no nothing but geocaching. Keep it pure or watch it spiral into another web forum that degrades into oblivion.

Edited by KJcachers

Jim

mmmmmm, hamsters.

And just because that apple, corn-on-the-cob or potato can't bleat, moo or squeal, do you really think it enjoys being eaten?

Actually, some might! Take the strawberry for example. Why go through all the trouble to evolve to be sweet and yummy, advertise where you are by being bright red, unless you wanted someone to come along, eat you, then deposit your seeds elsewhere along with a ready source of fertilizer? (Not the way I would want to reproduce but hey, to each their own!) :)

Jim

mmmmmm, hamsters.

:):P:):)

New hot topics should be submitted before Jan 10th

I want to submit a couple right now, while they're on my mind:

1) Hamster drowning, is it really a necessary part of geocaching?

2) Am I the only one that finds the whole noodly appendage thing creepy? You know, the FSM dude(tte) who moderates in the coin forum (no offense intended to Pastafarians)(dudes or dudettes).

3) Where is the Chemical "X" coming from, now that Keystone apparently isn't supplying it? Did Groundspeak outsource that? is part of your Premium $$ paying for that?!!? how come?

edit: offense disclaimer

Edited by Isonzo Karst

And just because that apple, corn-on-the-cob or potato can't bleat, moo or squeal, do you really think it enjoys being eaten?

I immediately thought of the Arrogant Worm's song:

Carrot Juice is Murder

Listen up brothers and sisters, come here my desperate tale

I speak of our friends of nature, trapped in the dirt like a jail

Vegtables live in oppression, served on out tables each night

This killing of veggies is madness, I say we take up the fight

Salads are only for murderers, cole slaw’s a fascist regime

Don’t think that they don’t have feelings, just cause a radish can’t scream

I’ve heard the screams of the vegetables, watching their skins being peeled

Grated and steamed with no mercy.. how do you think that feels?

Carrot juice constitutes murder.. greenhouses prisons for slaves

It’s time to stop all this gardening.. let’s call a spade a spade.

:):):P:)
let’s call a spade a spade.

sorry, a spade is "pointy" object, and cannot be referenced here......

No, a shovel is "pointy", a spade is flat edged. :) Reminds me of an old joke, where the foreman of the landscape crew was talking to the little ol' lady where they were working, and warned her that the langage of the crew might be rough, "after all they call a spade a spade." She replied "No they don't. They call it a %&^$%#&^% shovel." :)

New hot topics should be submitted before Jan 10th

I want to submit a couple right now, while they're on my mind:

1) Hamster drowning, is it really a necessary part of geocaching?

Sometimes an attempt on a Terrain 5 cache is unsuccessful. You end up with a wet hamster. DNF's happen.

2) Am I the only one that finds the whole noodly appendage thing creepy? You know, the FSM dude(tte) who moderates in the coin forum (no offense intended to Pastafarians)(dudes or dudettes).

Can't help you there. That's carbohydrates. I'm proteins.

3) Where is the Chemical "X" coming from, now that Keystone apparently isn't supplying it? Did Groundspeak outsource that? is part of your Premium $$ paying for that?!!? how come?

Ever squeeze a wet hamster?

I have no problem people DISCUSSING various non-geocaching issues on the forum. And in fact, such issues already are widely discussed, and have been for a long time. There is a VERY long history of folks -- including very prominent posters on the forums, posting about, and even starting entire threads about any and all of the following issues and realms:

[*] religious propaganda materials left in caches

[*] promotion of various social or religious or political agendas via cache names or cache descriptions, or via travel bugs or geocoins

[*] discussion threads for or about geocachers who also happen to be Christians, or Freemasons, or Mormon/LDS, or Scientologists, or Shriners, or members of the Knights of Columbus or the Knights of Malta

[*] discussion threads for or about geocachers who are active military, active police or active firemen, or ex-military, ex-police, or ex- firemen, or who are war veterans

[*] discussion threads for or about geocachers who are obsessed with Jeeps

[*] discussion threads for and about geocachers who were Boy Scouts or Girl Scouts

[*] discussion threads for or about cachers who are gay, or lesbian, or bisexual, or who who raise goats, farm llamas, or who are obsessed with cats.

[*] discussion threads for and about geoachers who happen to be obsessed with hamsters

[*] discussion threads about geocachers who also happen to be famous people

[/list

You left out geocachers who kiss dogs (canine variety).

Edited by Harry Dolphin

Explain "political agenda and social view".

Is this not subject to your own criteria?

Who's agenda?

When people post/reply to any forum they are relaying their views. Some will slip in their agenda into the comments. Some are just posting to get a rise out of others.

I like RK's post that singled out your sig line. Hmmm Seems like an agenda to me too.