Caching in Cuba

Wenniget

Am travelling to Cuba in a couple of days and was quite excited to find a few caches at Varadeo, Cuba, which is where we are going. However, upon reading the logs of the caches, one fellow cacher actually mentions that they are illegal there. The rest don't say that, but do comment that you can take them there if you want - just make sure nobody sees you with them. So..............? It appears that the logs have given enough hints and pictures that you might be able to find them without a GPS, so I'm thinking there might be something to the "illegal" comment - value my Garmin too much to have it confiscated on me in a foreign country, not to mention getting in trouble with the authorities there!! Any comments or previous experiences anyone would like to share?

As far as I know - it is illegal, and if someone checks your bag at the airport and is feeling particularly angry, they can seize it. I have heard of stories of similar electronics (just from being the caribbean) being held until the person leaves - but that was probably luck that they got an honest customs person and was able to get it back.

A quick search on the Lonely Planet website (a great resource for any traveler) gives me these results which are worth the read:

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/thre...3

Am travelling to Cuba in a couple of days and was quite excited to find a few caches at Varadeo, Cuba, which is where we are going. However, upon reading the logs of the caches, one fellow cacher actually mentions that they are illegal there. The rest don't say that, but do comment that you can take them there if you want - just make sure nobody sees you with them. So..............? It appears that the logs have given enough hints and pictures that you might be able to find them without a GPS, so I'm thinking there might be something to the "illegal" comment - value my Garmin too much to have it confiscated on me in a foreign country, not to mention getting in trouble with the authorities there!! Any comments or previous experiences anyone would like to share?

These forums are of course overwhelmingly dominated by Americans. As you may or may not know, we aren't allowed to go there! Not entirely true, I guess Cuban immigrants to America are allowed to visit relatives on occasion. But really, that's an almost statisically insignificant portion of us.

So I'd doubt there are any native Cuban geocachers. It looks like almost half of the 17 caches in the Country are placed by U.S. Military personnel at GTMO, and most of the rest are placed by Canadians (I did see one by a German). So I'd contact one of those Canadians, and see what they think about the situation. Obviously they got their GPS's in the Country to place the caches.

GPS recievers use American military hardware - They ARE illegal, I know of cachers who tried to bring them in. GPSr gets confiscated at the airport, and you can pick it up on your way out (if you can't manage to sneak it in)

Most of the caches in Cuba (outside GitMo) dont require the GPSr though, they are fairly straightforward.

These forums are of course overwhelmingly dominated by Americans. As you may or may not know, we aren't allowed to go there! Not entirely true, I guess Cuban immigrants to America are allowed to visit relatives on occasion. But really, that's an almost statisically insignificant portion of us.

Never say never... I know a Cuban immigrant geocacher! If he decided to travel to Cuba, it would have to be through a third country, such as Canada, and on his Cuban Passport. Cuba does not recognize his American citizenship.

Never say never... I know a Cuban immigrant geocacher! If he decided to travel to Cuba, it would have to be through a third country, such as Canada, and on his Cuban Passport. Cuba does not recognize his American citizenship.

That's true. Ya' got me. :D Hey, in light of what Juicepig said, and according to that message board link Tropical Paradise provided (didn't see the link before). I'd say go with a Garmin Gecko from Ebay. Heck, most geocachers probably couldn't identify that thing as a GPS, let alone Cuban customs. :D

That's true. Ya' got me. :D Hey, in light of what Juicepig said, and according to that message board link Tropical Paradise provided (didn't see the link before). I'd say go with a Garmin Gecko from Ebay. Heck, most geocachers probably couldn't identify that thing as a GPS, let alone Cuban customs. :D

I am a Cuban Born American Citizen that enjoys Geocaching. This is a very heated topic for me as you may or not understand. The question becons: Why would you go to a country that opresses its citizens, has no freedom of speech, no freedom to question anything at all, a total dictatorship where you can not change your government if you do not like what is going on, where you can not critizise the dictator for fear of being put away. This only supports this vile government that has trampled the minds and spirits of a very proud, very ingenious people. Why would a GPS be illegal in a country? it is such a trivial thing, yet many things like this are illegal in my country, and many do not understand why the Castro regime is vile, evil, and must go to the depts of Hell. The only Geocache I would like to place in Cuba is 45 Caliber lead slugs in (their) heads. Go geocaching somewhere else untill there is freedom of human rights and expression.

Edited by mtn-man
I am a Cuban Born American Citizen that enjoys Geocaching. This is a very heated topic for me as you may or not understand. The question becons: Why would you go to a country that opresses its citizens, has no freedom of speech, no freedom to question anything at all, a total dictatorship where you can not change your government if you do not like what is going on, where you can not critizise the dictator for fear of being put away. This only supports this vile government that has trampled the minds and spirits of a very proud, very ingenious people. Why would a GPS be illegal in a country? it is such a trivial thing, yet many things like this are illegal in my country, and many do not understand why the Castro regime is vile, evil, and must go to the depts of Hell. The only Geocache I would like to place in Cuba is 45 Caliber lead slugs in (their) heads. Go geocaching somewhere else untill there is freedom of human rights and expression.

First off, this is a family friendly forum. I've edited your post.

Secondly, this is not a political forum. There is an Off Topic section where you can discuss the things you brought up in your post, but you have to be a Premium Member to see it. Since you are not a Premium Member, we ask that you limit your discussions outside of the Off Topic section to geocaching discussions. Please do not attempt to derail this topic further.

First off, this is a family friendly forum. I've edited your post.

Secondly, this is not a political forum. There is an Off Topic section where you can discuss the things you brought up in your post, but you have to be a Premium Member to see it. Since you are not a Premium Member, we ask that you limit your discussions outside of the Off Topic section to geocaching discussions. Please do not attempt to derail this topic further.

And finally, I'd bet my entire stack that this is a fictitious post.

The question becons: Why would you go to a country that opresses its citizens, has no freedom of speech, no freedom to question anything at all, a total dictatorship where you can not change your government if you do not like what is going on, where you can not critizise the dictator for fear of being put away.

Nice beaches?

Fine Cigars? :)

Oh, I think that was a real post, from a passionate defector. Sock Puppet, probably, but he definitely has an opinion.

I see no reason to ever visit Cuba...

And if GPSrs are illegal in Cuba who is reviewing these caches? Should they really be publishing them there??

Good point. Using the "Hide and Seek a Cache" page and selecting "Cuba" on the drop down menu for "Country" produces 17 caches (including 3 that have not yet been found). I checked a few of theme and they were all reviewed by the same person. It looked like many of them could be found without the use of a GPS so if I were visiting Cuba I wouldn't bring a GPS but would instead print off the listings and a google maps/earth page. The satellite imagery is surprisingly good so I suspect one could actually find several caches in Cuba without a GPS.

Not to get "political" on here or anything, just stating facts, but it is rumored that sometime (maybe not right away) in the Obama administration the travel restrictions to Cuba may get removed (on the basis that we have done the same for Vietnam already combined with Castro #1 not really being in power anymore). If that happens it would be interesting to see if more caches appear there despite the draconian restrictions and all.

Our 'opinions' don't matter - the law does. To get the law contact the embassy of the country you are visiting.

For Cuba they are http://www.embassiesabroad.com/embassies-of/Cuba

I learned this the hard way when driving to Guatemala the first time. We were a convoy of 5 vehicles, no problem in Mexico but got stopped at the Guatemalan border and told that the CB Radios in all of our vehicles could not be brought in. We had to sell them on the Mexican side of the border and of course got practically nothing for them.

Interestingly they made us take the satellite dish off of my motor home and leave it at the border as well, even though as far as we could discover it was perfectly legal.