Are there no good NEW GPSr's anymore?

It doesn't seem like anyone can build a good GPSr anymore.

Just about everyone hates the Garmin Colorado, and I've read quite a few complaints on the Oregon as well.

I guess I need not say much about Magellan, nobody seemed to ever have anything at all good to say about the Triton series.

Even the new DeLorme PN-40 has been complained on, the screen is too small.

Are all these companies really that bad, have expectations became to high, or what?

My take on all this is that expectations are not in-line with the product designers.

Many users want ALL of the features they love on the current best unit PLUS new enhancements to those features and more features piled in as well. They want all of that with a faster processor, bigger, brighter screen and a longer battery life.

The designers try creating a new product centered around a handful of new features with a newer cleaner interface and they port over a select amount of the screens and features of the older units.

The two ideas are not meshing well.

...Are all these companies really that bad, have expectations became to high, or what?

I'm going to chalk it up to greed.

If a company loved what they do, loved making GPSs that rock they would result in different products than we are seeing now.

Now we are getting GPSs that inch forward but don't live up to the clear and obvious potential. Why can't we download arial maps from the net? Oh. we can, but Delorme has us pay an arm and a leg because the focus isn't making a great GPS it's making a GPS that they can further 'monetize'.

Garmin is heading down the same path. Topo is free, Arial is free, but you can't download that on your Garmin. Garmin limits waypoints to far to few for modern purposes like an extended caching trip.

Obvious incremental improvmetns just are not happening, or if they are they are happening in a way that's not really that useful.

I suggest that we look at this in the context of the experience of those making such comments.

I have just surveyed the 4 most recent threads regarding buying advice and hands-on experience where the PN-40 was discussed.

Those complaining of the screen size being "too small" have not claimed that they actually had the PN-20 in their hands. Apparently, their remarks are based on their interpretations of screen dimensions taken from written descriptions.

None of the eighteen hands-on, early adopters of the PN-40, described the screen size as a drawback.

Thirteen of these eighteen have had prior hands-on experience with various Garmin models. Twelve of these expressed a preference for the DeLorme with one viewing them as a "toss up" while he evaluates further.

Edited by Team CowboyPapa

Why can't we download arial maps from the net? Oh. we can, but Delorme has us pay an arm and a leg because the focus isn't making a great GPS it's making a GPS that they can further 'monetize'.

I guess that you have not heard about the $29.95 annual subscription. Download at will for 30 bucks sounds like it might only take a fingernail :D

...Those complaining of the screen size being "too small" have not claimed that they actually had the PN-20 in their hands. Apparently, their remarks are based on their interpretations of screen dimensions taken from written descriptions....

I'll bite. The screen on every modern (color) GPS That I have ever held, thought about buying, or even looked at is smaller than it needs to be. The form factor of those GPS units would accomdoate a larger screen.

Again, they all fall short of their potential here as well.

Why can't we download arial maps from the net? Oh. we can, but Delorme has us pay an arm and a leg because the focus isn't making a great GPS it's making a GPS that they can further 'monetize'.

I guess that you have not heard about the $29.95 annual subscription. Download at will for 30 bucks sounds like it might only take a fingernail :D

29.95 for what? Free maps that are repackaged in a handy subscription fee? I don't want to rent my GPS or the maps I put on it. When I'm done buying my GPS I'd like to save my money up for other tools. Money spent renting what I can own is money I can't spend on things like swag, hiking sticks, backpacks and the like.

29.95 for what? Free maps that are repackaged in a handy subscription fee? I don't want to rent my GPS or the maps I put on it. When I'm done buying my GPS I'd like to save my money up for other tools. Money spent renting what I can own is money I can't spend on things like swag, hiking sticks, backpacks and the like.

I really don't think you are "RENTING" the Airial Imagery... your $30 subscription allows you to download all you want and once it is downloaded its yours "FOREVER!!!!!!!!!"

Can someone else verify this??

Jeff

It doesn't seem like anyone can build a good GPSr anymore.

Just about everyone hates the Garmin Colorado, and I've read quite a few complaints on the Oregon as well.

I guess I need not say much about Magellan, nobody seemed to ever have anything at all good to say about the Triton series.

Are all these companies really that bad, have expectations became to high, or what?

Have you look at any of these? Have you held one? Have you used one of these?

When I am going to buy a new GPSr. I look at all the information I can find. I also try to find someone with them and talk to them about it. I also see if I can try it out.

I know of a couple of people who have the PN-20 and the "small screen size" is not an issue. But routing and redraw is. (I have a TomTom in the car so routing is not an issue with me).

When you buy something you have to look at what features you want and need and what features does the item have. How they fit into your want and needs.

I would never discount a item just because a person or two said bad things about it on the internet. The biggest part of my evaluation of the item is my physical testing of it.

The manufactures are trying their best to product what they think is a good product that has the features that their customers want. But trying to predict what the public is looking for in new products is very tuff to do. (If anyone can do that they could be richer than Gates.)

As to the Colorado's. I know some people with them and I have used one for a cache hunt. They like them. They have not said anything bad about them. I do think that the display is a little bit dim in the daylight. But that is me. My Vista C is brighter. Other wise I have not used it enough to make a true impression of it.

If I had the money and could buy a GPSr right now that one would be the PN-40. Everything I have read about their features and what they do are placing it on top of my list. Delorme have taken the PN-20 and listened to the complaints about it and fixed it up and popped out the PN-40.

Well I hope this helps.

kf4oox - Paul

They are yours to keep and you can download as much as you can.

I hope no one else misinterprets that post. Please do not believe everything you read on the internet.

That's good to know, Ben, thanks. :D

For a minute there I thought that it was like DVDs from Blockbuster, I was just renting them and then I'd have return them after 5 days, or pay a late fee of $5 per day per GB.

Whew, sure glad that that 13GB of color aerial photography is mine to keep! :D

Here is one that I overlaid a track on it:

http://mapshare.delorme.com/Consumer/V.aspx?p=bs7t1xgr

Here it is without the PN-20 track and you can see how well it overlays on the trail on the CDOQQ.

http://mapshare.delorme.com/Consumer/V.aspx?p=nqmknjck

Now that track is only one truck wide. When you see someone coming you look for a wider spot and pull over and let them pass, or vice versa. There is no way that you can see 5 feet deviation in that -20 track from the trail in the photo. Would you think that the -40 would produce worse?

If I had the money and could buy a GPSr right now that one would be the PN-40. Everything I have read about their features and what they do are placing it on top of my list. Delorme have taken the PN-20 and listened to the complaints about it and fixed it up and popped out the PN-40.

Why all the anticipation of a ROM update then?

-= Frank =-

Don't sneeze. Garmin needed firmware updates right out of the box to fix major issues on the last two models. Let's not even talk about the Magellan recall.

The firmware update from Delorme is to improve upon some features. You see, they were smart and listened to some last minute requests and built it into the fw update.

I'm draggin' butt. I've only got 13GB downloaded to date.

But that Hi-Res City imagery sure is dynamite for around town geocaching.

But how can it be a challenge any longer - why bother with the game? :laughing:

The same was asked when maps were introduced on the GPS.

The answer was:

Because it iss still fun to get out and play.

Regarding the title of this thread, name one GPS that nailed it when it was first introduced. Or have all the good ones needed multiple firmware updates before garnering their stellar reputations?

Good point. I have seen a record of firmware releases for the 60/76C(S)x series. As I recall, there were six firmware updates released in the first six months after the 60 was introduced. There were plenty of issues. Yet these units are now often regarded as some of the most reliable currently available.

-= Frank =-

More, bigger, faster, prettier, tastes better, oh & oh yeah, WIDGETS!! Slaps forehead! ;^)

Perhaps some more compatibility morsels? . . . "and the beat goes on!"

Fun bein' a foil, right Frank?

Norm

@ TCP :

Work just dumped s scad o' $ on a Boyd's, best coffee burner money can buy,

not just Starbuck's, but burnt Starbuck's, we're doubly blessed . . . NOT!

;^)

Edited by RRLover

-= Frank =-

The ROM update was planned for release regardless of the release date of the PN-40 since the update is for the PN-20 also. I'm sure Delorme tried to get the update done before the PN-40 release, but with the holiday buying season starting, they got the -40 out the door with the older software. With the ease of the ROM updates, I would be willing to do it weekly if they keep adding features.

This might be a little off topic, but can anyone say if the -40 has any functional differences from the -20 other than being quicker?

Always keep in mind, the people who have complaints are much more likely to get on the Internet and complain about it than the people who are blissfully happy with their product.

Totally. Go read review at amazon.com for anything, and you'll probably see more negatives than positives. That's because when people buy something, and they like it, they just use it and don't always go post a review. But when someone buys something and it either doesn't do what they thought it should or doesn't work right, you can bet that the first thing they are going to do is go though a bitch fit about it.

Personally, I have a Garmin Legend HCx and had a DeLorme PN-20, and I was impressed enough with the -20 that I sold it pretty quick so I could put that money towards a PN40 (it's on order as a Christmas present). I love the control layout, the screen is nice and sharp (same size as the eTex series), and the aerial imagery stuff is just too cool for school. Especially with the $30 annual subscription. That will pay for itself so fast as compared to the old pricing system (I paid $6 for 6 sq/km of hi-res color imagery, and that just covered Disneyland), so with the subscription, I'll be able to do whole cities and routes and all that. And, no, you don't lose what you download when the subscription runs out, the subscription basically just gives you free access to all the archives they have, and it's an all-you-can-eat buffet!

This might be a little off topic, but can anyone say if the -40 has any functional differences from the -20 other than being quicker?

Differences are the added functions Dual-Core Processor, Electronic Compass and the Altimeter to the PN-40. All the functions work the same.

Edited by benjamin921

I have about 15 or so GPS units, Garmin and Magellans and feel the Meridian Platinum is the best unit I have ever used or been around ( for cost and ease of mapping several units it is without doubt)

I'm waiting for delivery of a Garmin 60CSX mainly for something new to play with as well as have a unit with current maps ( no problem as yet with my Magellan maps though )

I don't like a lot of what I read about the newer units........if you want something new get a 60 CSX ..........if you don't mind used get a Platinum ( has EVERYTHING but a color screen....side by side with a 60 CSX in sunlight both looked the same) also maps for Platinums can be had almost free and can be put on an infinite amount of units, cards, cd copied, etc.

A cheap PDA can carry all the cache info.

Differences are the added functions Dual-Core Processor, Electronic Compass and the Altimeter to the PN-40. All the functions work the same.

As I understand it, that's in part because the PN-20 has been getting software feature upgrades via firmware updates.

The PN-40 also is a 32-channel receiver, whereas the -20 is only 12 channels.

40 has 1GB internal memory (500MB consumed by firmware), 20 only has 75MB of available onboard memory.

Full feature comparison of the PN-20 and -40

I have had a magellan 400, a Garmin 60csx, and now a Garmin Oregon 300.

Garmin could have just taken the 60csx, added more memory and given it shadow relief and I would have been happy.

Expected that the Oregon was going to be a 60csx with more memory, shaded relief, and touch screen. I was wrong.

If I had to do again I would have just stayed with the 60CSX.

I hope no one else misinterprets that post. Please do not believe everything you read on the internet.

So those maps will work on all future GPSs?

Garmin recently restricted it's maps from 2 to 1 GPS. Once you buy a new one, all those maps you "Paid for" are "paid for again". It comes down to what we mean by rent. Clearly you can keep and own one GPS forever and never get another. But if you do, what you bought before you will buy again. That's rental. Or maybe just 'forced monitization'.

I can see buying updates to keep your maps current. There is ongoing work to capture changes to our roads and ongoing map corrections. It's buying the same data over again that I'm calling a rental.

My main bone of contention though is that nobody lets you access the free maps on the net for our use and enjoyment. They are working hard to try to make GPS a subscription in one form or another.

Always keep in mind, the people who have complaints are much more likely to get on the Internet and complain about it than the people who are blissfully happy with their product.

I rely on that. If everone has the same complaint, that's a problem. Professional reviewers are normally a "first blush" thing. They tell you features, etc. compared to the competion. Long term reviews can give you a clue about problems. Like Garmins rubber grip on the eTrex series coming loose, or the battery contact issue. Professional reviews won't give you that insight.

Well, future DeLorme GPS units that use Topo, yeah, I believe so. I've been downloading tons of imagery, and I don't even have a PN-40 for it to be associated with yet, but I can view it on my PC in Topo, and once I get my PN-40 (Christmas present, it's on order), all I need to do is make sure I have a big enough memory card, plug it in, and upload it. The maps you download are just associated with your software, not a specific GPS as far as I can tell.

Garmin recently restricted it's maps from 2 to 1 GPS. Once you buy a new one, all those maps you "Paid for" are "paid for again". It comes down to what we mean by rent. Clearly you can keep and own one GPS forever and never get another. But if you do, what you bought before you will buy again. That's rental. Or maybe just 'forced monitization'.

I can see buying updates to keep your maps current. There is ongoing work to capture changes to our roads and ongoing map corrections. It's buying the same data over again that I'm calling a rental.

My main bone of contention though is that nobody lets you access the free maps on the net for our use and enjoyment. They are working hard to try to make GPS a subscription in one form or another.

1. Right now their $29.99 annual subscription for unlimited downloads of the highest quality imagery available is the best deal in the market place.

2. Will they in the future introduce a new handheld GPSr that will not accept the maps I have already purchased by subscription?

3. Unfortunately, my Crystal Ball is broken, so I can't tell you what DeLorme will do in the future.

4. If that does happen, I'll be very unfortunately surprised and highly disappointed.

OK, I'll be back later. I'm going out to buy a car where the oil lasts forever and I don't have to keep downloading new oil every 3000 miles. I'm really sick of "renting" that motor oil.

??? There are SOOO many "FREE" Topo and Street maps for your Garmin GPS on the internet it will make your head spin!

We've got a pretty small sample so far...the PN-40 uses the same format as the PN-20. But that's the GPS side of it; if the Topo USA software (in whatever version) can still read the downloaded data, it should be able to generate the detail maps for the GPS in whatever format is required by the GPS. So I'm cautiously optimistic...I certainly see the downloads as long-term value.

Edited by embra

...1. Right now their $29.99 annual subscription for unlimited downloads of the highest quality imagery available is the best deal in the market place.

2. Will they in the future introduce a new handheld GPSr that will not accept the maps I have already purchased by subscription?

3. Unfortunately, my Crystal Ball is broken, so I can't tell you what DeLorme will do in the future.

4. If that does happen, I'll be very unfortunately surprised and highly disappointed.

OK, I'll be back later. I'm going out to buy a car where the oil lasts forever and I don't have to keep downloading new oil every 3000 miles. I'm really sick of "renting" that motor oil.

If only you burned your maps like you burned oil your anology would work. OnStar on the other hand would be a good comparison. What does it take to be able to use the OnStar GPS built itno your vehicle (that you paid for upfront). It sure would be nice to plug that into your laptop. Alas you have to hack it to do it. Another evolution of renting a GPS.

We've got a pretty small sample so far...the PN-40 uses the same format as the PN-20. But that's the GPS side of it; if the Topo USA software (in whatever version) can still read the downloaded data, it should be able to generate the detail maps for the GPS in whatever format is required by the GPS. So I'm cautiously optimistic...I certainly see the downloads as long-term value.

If you could download the USA (assuming enough storage) and then use it on future GPS as they roll out. That would be good value relative to other maps. Especially if the image quality is better than what's available on the net and it was calebrated so it worked with all your various datums.

Delorme has some good potential. They could take the lead if they play their cards right.

If you could download the USA (assuming enough storage) and then use it on future GPS as they roll out. That would be good value relative to other maps. Especially if the image quality is better than what's available on the net and it was calebrated so it worked with all your various datums.

Delorme has some good potential. They could take the lead if they play their cards right.

With my limited time on the PN40, I'm inclined to think they're breathing down their change that, more like fogging the competitors glasses necks as we speak.

Edited by TotemLake

Hey, I need some advice here. I was just downloading some more imagery on my "all I want for a year" subscription when I realized that I was mistakenly downloading some areas for a second time.

So the question is, when the time comes that I'll have to pay for them again, like for a future GPSr (as noted above), will I also have to pay again for those that I've mistakenly downloaded twice? For a total of four times? :huh:

Lowrance still makes good GPSr's :huh:

..and they're just obscure enough not to get picked on much :huh:

I think Lowrwnce is under rated, I can't think of another gps I would trade my Hunt for.

I've been holding off buying something new because I keep hoping that Lowrance puts out a new handheld.

I love my H2Oc.

It seems Delorme has some really cool features. The Garmins have lead the way for years. There have been some compliants on some of the newer Garmin units. However, like others have mentioned a lot of it is internet hype. In other words a few people were used to something else and did not like the new, or had legitamate problems (bad units) which makes people think they are all junk. Average person like myself buys a new Garmin and is blown away with the features and performance even with the earliest firmware.

DeLorme has various flavors of XMap that let you load your own aerial photography (XMap Professional) and GIS data (XMap Editor and Enterprise). As you know, there is plenty of free aerial photography and GIS data out there. Granted, you do have to pay for XMap, but it appears to be a one-time cost unless you want to update to a newer version. Garmin and Magellan haven't released such tools for their consumer handhelds, not even if you were willing to pay. At least DeLorme has made it possible for me to load my own MrSID imagery, road centerlines, and parcels. Sure, I wish you didn't have to pay $99 for XMap Pro to load your own aerial imagery, but there are costs associated with developing the software and firmware for the unit. A company can either charge more for the unit and throw in all the bells and whistles for "free," or they can take the path DeLorme has and offer advanced capabilities at an additional cost for those who want them.

I'll throw in my two cents about the screen-size - I played with a co-worker's PN-40 for a couple of days and it is definitely sufficient for reading the maps and data fields. I used it to find a cache and also for autorouting.

I have to admit that the PN-40 did not blow me away as much as I thought it would. Perhaps my expectations were set too high with all the hype that had been built up. The PN-40 did everything I expected it to, but it didn't do anything unexpected that wowed me. Maybe I just knew too much about the unit already. Should my eXplorist 400 poop out suddenly, I would buy a PN-40 in a heartbeat. But at the moment, I cannot justify the significant expense of upgrading from a still very functional unit. DeLorme needs to keep up what they are doing. They are definitely on the right track. Magellan has shown incompetence, and Garmin seems to be floudering at the moment. Unless Garmin comes up with a head-to-head competitor for the PN-40, they don't have anything that interests me.

DeLorme has various flavors of XMap that let you load your own aerial photography (XMap Professional)...

This is good to know.

Yeah for an extra $100. To load ESRI shapefiles as maps (often containing much more data than aerial photo's) you need X-Map Editor for $400+! I'll never pay that much for software. I can take a shapefile (point, line, polygon) and turn it into a map on my Garmin GPS in about 5 minutes for free. True, I have access to ArcGIS for editing and viewing but you can download the FREE "Mapwindow" and have basically the same thing. I can also download UNLIMITED aerial photo's onto my Garmin GPS using the MapWell program for $45. Everyone seems to forget that you can load aerial photo's onto the Garmin units. MapWell

Edited by yogazoo

It seems Delorme has some really cool features. The Garmins have lead the way for years. There have been some compliants on some of the newer Garmin units. However, like others have mentioned a lot of it is internet hype. In other words a few people were used to something else and did not like the new, or had legitamate problems (bad units) which makes people think they are all junk. Average person like myself buys a new Garmin and is blown away with the features and performance even with the earliest firmware.

My opinion of the new Garmin Colorado was based on a side by side comparison with a 60 series. I ran through the basics I use it for and either could not do the same thing, or it was harder, and in all cases the screen was worse to look at. In some cases a change in firmware could fix the problem (like inputting a waypoint bing a hassle, and missing map screens that I use) and in others the form factor was limiting.

Based on the hype I was ready to finally upgrade my GPS V. Based on what I saw, there was nothing to upgrade too. Too many steps back, to much complexity to accomplish what I thought was basic.

Like you say. If you never used the old, you wouldn't know what you are missing. However you might also be impressed by how easy some things are to do on the "yestertech". Assuming that Garmin didn't fix what they could fix with firmware. I've not taken a look recently to see if they have done this.