Code HELP!

fire5er

fire5er...

It's just a hot topic that many people get tuffed about in here. As an owner of many puzzle caches in the past, I spent a great deal of time making them in various levels of difficulty. Ultimately, I wanted people to find the cache, so if they asked me I would nudge them in the right direction.

But coming into a forum and asking "Hey - how do I solve the puzzle on cache page GCXYZABC?" is viewed as a level of side-stepping the intentions of the cache owner that you solve the puzzle and not just go get the answer in the forums. Whether or not that was your intention, that's how your first and third posts in this thread came across.

So - with all of that in mind, I'd suggest re-reading StarBrand's post in a different light. I think he was being helpful in pointing out some of our etiquette norms and giving you a good suggestion:

It is considered bad form to ask for help solving a puzzle in the forums.

Sorry........

Might ask the owner for a hint in the right direction.

StarBrand, I was looking for the type of code this is. I have not found it anywhere before. I was not asking you to tarnish you honor and tell me the answer.

snowball 58, Thanks for the help.

There are a lot of puzzle caches where the puzzle is mostly about figuring out what the code is or even locating the puzzle on the cache listing. If, for example, you didn't recognize a series of dots and dashes and morse code, and someone told you what kind of code it was, a simple google search would essentially solve the puzzle .

Like it or not, some puzzle caches are intentionally challenging. I spent over a month solving one that is rated 5 stars for difficulty and am only one of a handful of people that has solved it since it was published a year and a half ago.

A well conceived puzzle will provide additional clues (the title, for example) as to how to approach the puzzle. As was also suggested, if you're just beating your head against the wall trying to figure out a puzzle your best bet is to send email to the owner and ask for a hint. I own a handful of puzzle caches myself (most of which I adopted) and am happy to provide a clue, even a complete solution if someone wants it. At the end of the day I own caches so people can find them and enjoy the experience of doing so. I don't create puzzles for the sake of creating a puzzle, but to hopefully build a theme/concept around the cache, to possibly educate potential finders in something related to the cache placement (I've learned a lot of different things I never knew before from solving puzzle caches), or in some way improve the caching experience.

You're certainly not the first person to ask for help solving a puzzle cache and I suspect that you won't be the last. Starbrands response was no different from what I've read many times before. As participants in the forum we really don't know if the cache owner would like others to help someone solve their puzzle so we err on the side of caution and respect cache owners to make that choice for themselves.

Actually, I recognized the code (I think) and was going to point the OP in the right direction, but then someone went and posted the waypoint for the cache in question. It's one thing to say "that random snippet of code looks like a ceasar cypher" and another to say "the code for cache GCxxxx is a ceasar cypher".

BTW, that is not a ceasar cypher.

It's what they call a Tap Cipher code. Thanks for all of you that tried to help. Had never heard of that type of code.

And I'm sure the cache owner is just delighted that you've revealed that on the forums. Oh, and since we're ruining things for others... Rosebud is a sled, Bruce Willis's character is really dead, and the chick in "The Crying Game" is a dude.

StarBrand, I was looking for the type of code this is. I have not found it anywhere before. I was not asking you to tarnish you honor and tell me the answer.

snowball 58, Thanks for the help.

Oh but you did ask for the answer!! You did ask for help in solving it.

I was simply pointing out that is frowned upon. Nothing else. Sorry you took it so harshly.

Here is an answer that will peeve no one. If you find something you are not sure of Google It. If one of your answers from google includes a Wikipedia link, click it. Herein lies a good answer:

Puzzle cachers (hiders) do not like their mysteries revealed anywhere. The best bet, as a puzzle person is to try whatever you think useful in Google or Wikipedia. You will find better answers there than here! :laughing:

It's what they call a Tap Cipher code. Thanks for all of you that tried to help. Had never heard of that type of code.

I think the thing that annoys forum posters is that you came to the forums and simply asked for a solution (or a way to solve) to a puzzle and we find that to be just a bit out of bounds. The idea of a puzzle such as this is to make you think and learn, not to ask someone else for the solution. If the owner wants to give you hints that is fine. The purpose of a puzzle like this is not to pop out to the internet and ask others for the answer. It may be to pop out to the internet and do some research and learn something. To each there own.

But as has been stated it is still considered to be bad form to post here and ask for a solution to a puzzle. Asking for what type of puzzle it is is akin to asking how to solve it.

When it comes to puzzle caches, google and wikipedia are your friends! Sometimes though you can spend hours searching for info to start decyphering cache puzzles. Don't be afraid to ask the cache owner if you're on the right lines or for a hint, after all they create the cache to be found and enjoyed.

Some puzzles are VERY hard though, there are some that I just accept I will never be able to do. After a while of scratching my head at the computer I'd rather just get outdoors and cache!

It's bad form to even ask for someone else to even help you figure out 'what kind of code' something is.

The joy of puzzles is to figure them out completely on your own.

I wouldn't go that far. There are a lot of puzzle fans around here that enjoy working on puzzles as a team.

For that matter, there are puzzle fans that cache as a family, and who have a single account for the entire family. It seems unrealistic to expect each of those family members to solve puzzles on their own.

I think that people need to remember that this is the 'Getting Started' section and though seasoned members may have seen these questions and mistakes times before, many of the posters here are indeed just getting started.

I didn't receive any book of caching rules when I started (a whole 2 months ago) and a lot of the etiquette has to be gleaned, especially if you don't have any caching friends to show you the ropes. I know that the questions I've posted on different boards and the emails I've sent have been totally innocent, not looking for gimmes. And while it's nice that people are able to steer you in the right direction of some of the do's and don'ts, I think the message sometimes get lost in the delivery.

One of the first puzzles I did had no directions at all and I did email the CO, not for the answer just for some direction. I'm certainly glad I didn't ask here instead; I might still have Forum PTSD! I guess what I'm saying is that you never know the spirit in which a question is asked. If the question isn't appropriate, that's fine, explain why it isn't, but don't make us newbies sorry we asked.

I guess what I'm saying is that you never know the spirit in which a question is asked. If the question isn't appropriate, that's fine, explain why it isn't, but don't make us newbies sorry we asked.

Didn't I? :blink:

Markwell, you absolutely did, as well as some other people. This is a reminder that could be posted in a lot of threads. When reading in the forums, I've just noticed some questions posted that I could have asked myself and some of the responses come across as unduly harsh. That's all.

Trick or Treat: That's exactly what we are ... brand new bes. We have only gone after two caches and found two caches. We did not know there we rules to geocaching and that you couldn't ask for help to get started on the right track.

For all the others: We will never get involved in this fourm again...Thanks for your support to new people (NOT). We didn't know this was an exclusive club that only the super intellagent technologicly superior people of the world. We hope to never meet you out geocaching in the field.

Trick or Treat: That's exactly what we are ... brand new bes. We have only gone after two caches and found two caches. We did not know there we rules to geocaching and that you couldn't ask for help to get started on the right track.

For all the others: We will never get involved in this fourm again...Thanks for your support to new people (NOT). We didn't know this was an exclusive club that only the super intellagent technologicly superior people of the world. We hope to never meet you out geocaching in the field.

Sorry you had such a bad forum experience. However, you just need to have a thicker skin. Some of the responses were abrupt but not too harsh. I know that we have all made rookie mistakes. However, most of us learn from our mistakes.

You made two rookie mistakes. One, you were seeking a hint on a difficult puzzle cache that should only be provided by the cache owner. His cache, his puzzle, his call. Two, you revealed to the whole world what type of code used in the puzzle. You just took the owner, who took a long time in creating this puzzle, out of the equation. That's like revealing how a magician does his tricks.

Now you can do one of two things. You can either learn from these rookie mistakes to be a better geocacher, or you can ignore the lessons and repeat these mistakes in the future.

I've made mistakes when I started and I will probably make some more in the future. But I believe that I prevented making many mistakes by using all of the possible resources available. Get a copy of the "Idiot's Guide to Geocaching" and read it from cover to cover. Check out the "Getting started" and Resources" sections at geocaching.com. Go to geocacher-u.com.

All of that aside, please do not give up on the forums. The folks, for the most, part are great. The exchange of ideas, opinions, and information is invaluable. I know I've learned a lot. I have been persuaded to change my own opinions and believe I am a better cacher for it.

Hope to hear from you again and Happy Caching! :laughing:

The wonderful world of written words.... :laughing:

As in all things in life when you are doing something new STUDY STUDY STUDY, I just started caching this month after signing up on the forum a year ago. I was as new as could be, yet after reading for two weeks as much as I could - I believe I can keep up with the five thousand plus posters now. Reading is a gift, enjoy and learn. :laughing:

Go to geocacher-u.com.

Go to Markwells's site: http://www.markwell.us/geo.htm

Go here: http://geolex.locusprime.net/

and get GSAK: http://gsak.net/ I have a macro full aswsome setup with this app after a week of playing with it!

Let us sing it again: "google is our friend - yes oh yes - google is our friend" :ph34r:

and remember if they do not use a real name - treat them as if they are not real - so their words cannot hurt you.....

It's bad form...

The joy of puzzles is to figure them out completely on your own.

I wouldn't go that far. There are a lot of puzzle fans around here that enjoy working on puzzles as a team.

For that matter, there are puzzle fans that cache as a family, and who have a single account for the entire family. It seems unrealistic to expect each of those family members to solve puzzles on their own.

trainlove can speak for himself, but I don't read anything there that excludes team efforts, as long as the effort is by the team itself. I've been following this thread since it popped up and think that there are many ill feelings caused by the medium itself... text messages can appear to be what they are not... hostile or even complimentary. Fact is, the only 'hostile' comment was the last bit from fire5er about leaving... for my part that would be sad... considering that the name of and type of code in question didn't enter in to working a solution to it... everything needed is on the cache page in plain sight... it is only the first step of a multi.

Hope he will stick around.

Doug

It's all StarBrand's fault. I mean, look at this:

Sorry........

Why, I've never seen anything so insulting in my whole life. I'm surprised he didn't track you down, slap you with a glove and challenge you to a dual. Pistols at dawn, I say!

Truth is, there seems to be some people who just look for any reason to put a chip on their shoulder. We saw a lot of this faux umbrage during the election, on both sides. "Lipstick on a pig? Is he calling her a pig? Quick! Someone bring the fainting couch! I think I'm overcome with the vapors!" Frankly, I'm sick of it. People need to stop looking for non-existent reasons to be insulted.

Sorry........

Why, I've never seen anything so insulting in my whole life. I'm surprised he didn't track you down, slap you with a glove and challenge you to a dual. Pistols at dawn, I say!

:ph34r::laughing: How many times can I say sorry....... :ph34r::laughing:

Sorry........

Truth is, there seems to be some people who just look for any reason to put a chip on their shoulder. We saw a lot of this faux umbrage during the election, on both sides. "Lipstick on a pig? Is he calling her a pig? Quick! Someone bring the fainting couch! I think I'm overcome with the vapors!" Frankly, I'm sick of it. People need to stop looking for non-existent reasons to be insulted.

Agreed - just as the word "Dallas" used to do to me..... "IT WAS NO GOAL" haha