How many people don't read the descriptions ?

Nick_Scots

Vinny, Vinny, Vinny.... Paperless caching does not equal blind caching. Paperless caching is loading cache pages into a handheld device so that you have the needed information at your fingertips while out in the field.

I was thinking the same thing -- paperless cachers should be MORE inclined to read the description because they have it right there with them.

Please read the cache description for this cache. Out loud. In a group of people.

LOL, I should have seen it coming... catsnfish and his announcer voice! Read his regular column in The Online Geocacher, the guy is a hoot!

Back OT...

I cache paperless and don't look at the cache description until I get there and can't find the cache, and even then look at the hint before the description.

UNLESS I am on a numbers run. Not something that we do often, but when we do we scour the listing for any info before we get there.

I am a paperless cacher and I usually read the cache page (either at the cache site or at home). I always read it if the cache is not a traditional cache type.

Since my caching time is limited I like to get the most enjoyment out of it so I like to be prepared for it. When I go on cache runs I do an filter in my PQs and in GSAK of what my goals are (terrain/difficulty, recent DNFs, location, cache type, etc). Then I browse the page.

My wife and I cache as a team......I use a GPS mapping unit ( Mag. Platinum) to drive cache to cache and my wife reads the cache description, etc. which is on a Sony Clie' ( Plucker). The Clie' handheld has ALL the cache information including past logs.

GSAK furnished the files to download to the GPS and Clie'.

Its really hard to believe that anyone who has cached any length of time is not " paperless". We used paper for longer than I would like to admit until finally reading a great step by step instructional on the Florida Geocaching site.

It's also how many caches end up my ignore list.

While I don't read every cache page, (I read probably 90% prior to hunting, 8% during the hunt & 2% when it's time to log them), I heartily concur with this sentiment. There are so many caches out there that I have gobs to choose from, and it's been my past experience that someone who is unable or unwilling to present the seekers with more than a 10 word cache page, is not hiding caches that meet my rather biased aesthetics.

When I see a cache page with words to the effect of:

"My cuzin tol me about this game. Its fun. I hid a cash hear for yoo"

I'll head down the road faster than Rosie O'Donnel can gnaw through a carton of Ben & Jerry's.

Its really hard to believe that anyone who has cached any length of time is not " paperless". We used paper for longer than I would like to admit until finally reading a great step by step instructional on the Florida Geocaching site.

That seems a bit pompous. :blink: Been caching over four years, and still killing trees! Someday we'll find the right equipment, and go paperless. Someday.

But, to answer OP's question... We print out the pages we want for a particular day. If we run out of printed pages before we run out of time, then we cache clueless. Whatever is on the Gupy: Coords, type, difficulty/terrain ratings, size. We've actually done quite well this way. DNF ratio about the same as for caches with printed pages. But, of course, we only look for fairly easy ones this way.

But, if you want to buy us a PDA or whatever is used for paperless, we'd be more than willing to give it a try. :anicute:

That seems a bit pompous. :blink: Been caching over four years, and still killing trees! Someday we'll find the right equipment, and go paperless. Someday.

But, to answer OP's question... We print out the pages we want for a particular day. If we run out of printed pages before we run out of time, then we cache clueless. Whatever is on the Gupy: Coords, type, difficulty/terrain ratings, size. We've actually done quite well this way. DNF ratio about the same as for caches with printed pages. But, of course, we only look for fairly easy ones this way.

But, if you want to buy us a PDA or whatever is used for paperless, we'd be more than willing to give it a try. :anicute:

I didn't read it that way (pompous). Managing all that paper gets tedious, and once you go paperless, I think you'll feel the same as the poster who you quoted.

You can get a Palm EIII for like $20 or less on ebay. I just gave away a Palm Zire as a door prize at FallFest. Either of these will run Plucker just fine, and hold more than 1000 cache pages.

I paid $90 for my Tungsten e2, and it will hold the complete cache page for every cache in OK. And TX, CO, KS, AR, NM, and MO and still hold more.

The point? Paperless caching is not as expensive as you think. $25 for a used palm AND the registration fee for GPX Spinner. Plucker is free....

I bought a used Palm earlier this year and find that I only use it when I am headed out for an entire day of caching, or if I am headed out of town. If I am only planning to try for a handful of caches I still prefer to just print the pages. I do print on both sides of the paper though. :anicute:

It is easy to tell when people don't read my cache pages by what they post for a log. Going solely by the cache name they expect something different from what the cache actually is. If they read the description they would understand what I meant by the name. But hey, as long as they find the cache I am happy.