Just Had a New Cache Denied

TexasGringo

After going thru locating a place, checking the coordinates and seeing that is was .2 miles from another cache, creating a cache page and placing the cache...then having it denied because it was too close to a Mystery / Puzzle cache...is a real pain in the butt.

There needs to be a way of warning you when you create the cache page. Like being able to enter in coordinates and getting a "Yes" or "No" back. They say people will triangulate and find the cache...?!?

I have a couple caches out there already. So, I'm just going to pick this one up and say the heck with it...for now.

(I have to add that the reviewer was doing their job and polite...No Fault There)

Edited by TheTexasGringo

Ah, don't get discouraged - I had to move the first stage of my first cache several times and then convince the reviewer that there was reasonable cause to waive the guideline for the final before I could get it published

Trying again never hurt anyone - It can be a slight hassle, but it's always worth it in the end :ph34r:

As stated in the cache terms, your cache must be within 600 metres of another cache. This is to make sure not too many caches are placed in one specific area. You can easily check this by making a route on a route make such as google or Yahoo and checking the distance between a cache. If you don't want to do that and are in hesitation that it might be too close, don't place it there. This can easily be prevented from happening. Also, your complaints are not very much appreciated. What you did was your fault, and as you are not being punished for it, a polite site suggestion should be made in the websites forum. Thank you for your contribution.

Edited by Zac Young

Please read my post first and see what I said.

***As stated in the cache terms, your cache must be within 600 metres of another cache.***

How do you know if you are close to another cache if you can't see the stages of a Mystery Cache or Multi-Cache? At least with the multi cache you can see an actual physical starting point. The mystery cache showed .2 miles away (1056 Feet) and the actual physical cache could be a mile or so away.

***Also, your complaints are not very much appreciated. What you did was your fault, and as you are not being punished for it***

really? How can it be my fault if you can't see the other cache when you search for it by coordinates?

Thank you for your contribution.

Edited by TheTexasGringo

***As stated in the cache terms, your cache must be within 600 metres of another cache.***

How do you know if you are close to another cache if you can't see the stages of a Mystery Cache?

By solving the mystery cache, of course

***Also, your complaints are not very much appreciated. What you did was your fault, and as you are not being punished for it***

really? How can it be my fault if you can't see the other cache when you search for it by coordinates?

You could have emailed your reviewer and asked of the target area was clear. Both mystery caches and multi's with physical caches have the same restrictions. And yes, if it was automated and online you can solve where the mystery cache final is. Folks can even get a FTF by watching TB movements and figuring out where the new cache will be from the bug listings.

Jim

How do you know if you are close to another cache if you can't see the stages of a Mystery Cache?

By solving the mystery cache, of course

You could have emailed your reviewer and asked of the target area was clear. Both mystery caches and multi's with physical caches have the same restrictions. And yes, if it was automated and online you can solve where the mystery cache final is. Folks can even get a FTF by watching TB movements and figuring out where the new cache will be from the bug listings.

Jim

Yeah, what Jim said, I've seen puzzle caches that were 5+ miles away from the posted coords, sometimes theres just no way of knowing what's in the area. I tried to find a cache in a park earlier this year that is very close to where I grew up. It was not there, I contacted the owner, they confirmed it wasn't there and archived it. Two months later I put cache in the park and it turns out it was pretty much in the same place as the previous cache. moral of the story... what looks like a good hiding spot for one cacher looks like a good hiding spot to other cachers.

*edited to correct spelling

Edited by syfun

As stated in the cache terms, your cache must be within 600 metres of another cache. This is to make sure not too many caches are placed in one specific area. You can easily check this by making a route on a route make such as google or Yahoo and checking the distance between a cache. If you don't want to do that and are in hesitation that it might be too close, don't place it there. This can easily be prevented from happening. Also, your complaints are not very much appreciated. What you did was your fault, and as you are not being punished for it, a polite site suggestion should be made in the websites forum. Thank you for your contribution.

:ph34r::unsure::lol::P

Huh?!? He's talking about being to close to a puzzle cache. How is he supposed to know that he's too close to a cache that he didn't know was there? His fault? Thank you for your contribution.

Edited by knowschad

What I've heard other people do it e-mail the reviewer to check the location before placing OR make the cache page active but ask the reviewer not to publish it yet, just check the coords. Then after that is done then go out and place it and then ask to be published.

But if there was a tool for puzzle caches people woulod find a way to exploit it. Such as trying many different coords to find a close match.

As stated in the cache terms, your cache must be within 600 metres of another cache. This is to make sure not too many caches are placed in one specific area. You can easily check this by making a route on a route make such as google or Yahoo and checking the distance between a cache. If you don't want to do that and are in hesitation that it might be too close, don't place it there. This can easily be prevented from happening. . .

Huh? WHATEVER are you talking about? Did you perhaps slip through my time-space portal during the test sessions this afternoon, and did you come from an alternate time-space dimensional world where the Groundspeak rules are entirely different from those in our world? Wowsie! :ph34r::unsure:

After going thru locating a place, checking the coordinates and seeing that is was .2 miles from another cache, creating a cache page and placing the cache...then having it denied because it was too close to a mystery cache...is a real pain in the butt.

There needs to be a way of warning you when you create the cache page. Like being able to enter in coordinates and getting a "Yes" or "No" back. They say people will triangulate and find the cache...?!?

I have a couple caches out there already. So, I'm just going to pick this one up and say the heck with it...for now.

(I have to add that the reviewer was doing their job and polite...No Fault There)

You can move it .2 in any direction and it should be far enough from the mystery cache.

Did I miss a rule change? I thought 0.1 miles was the limit, 528 feet, 161 meters. 0.2 miles is far enough away, no?

In any case if you can move your cache a bit, and still keep the hide the way you want it, email the reviewer with the new coords first, they will give you a yes/no.

You can move it .2 in any direction and it should be far enough from the mystery cache.

No, one possible direction would be directly on top of the other cache, half the possible "directions" would still be too close, only half of the circle will result in farther away.

Original text removed by author (myself) one minute after initial posting. Original post content is being held in abeyance until I can understand better the phenomenon of all the odd and even downright bizarre pieces of advice that some posters are sending to this thread. For some reason, this thread seems to be acting as a magnet for posts containing all kinds of bizarre statements and claims! Is there perhaps a full moon?

Edited by Vinny & Sue Team

Gringo, first let me thank you for attempting to place a new hide! If it twern't for new hides, we'd have nothing to do. :ph34r:

Something I've started doing now is checking my potential hiding spot on Google Earth before I ever leave the house. If I see a puzzle within two miles, I assume it could cause me difficulties. I'll do what I can to solve it, up to, and including shamelessly begging the puzzle's owner for help. The same applies to multis.

Note: This is not a perfect solution, as some puzzles exceed the suggested two mile limit, but this method hasn't failed me yet.

If I am unable to solve the puzzle, or finalize the multi, I get with my reviewer and ask them to check my proposed coords for conflicts. At their hearts, reviewers are, first and foremost, geocachers. The more caches they publish means the more caches they get to find. As such, they are highly motivated toward working with you to get your cache published, and they'll often go out of their way to help.

Good luck!

-Sean

For some reason, this thread seems to be acting as a magnet for posts containing all kinds of bizarre statements and claims!

From what I can see, this thread is just about par for the course.

:ph34r::lol: Y'know, I hope that I am not simply feeling pessimistic today, or that my attitude is not simply due to perhaps having a bad hair day (that is, if I had any hair on the top of my head), or simply perhaps due to my having a bad brain day (that is, if I had more than three cells in my brain), but I seem to be noticing that the quality of posts -- and the level of literacy displayed therein -- sent to this forum has markedly deteriorated over the past month or two, and the past few days seem to have seen an even further decline, to the point of absurdity. Perhaps there is a full moon... or perhaps my time-space portal, which has been undergoing testing lately, has been malfunctioning and has been allowing demons from some odd backwater spirit world to enter our world, where many of them then choose take up residence on the forum! :unsure:

-//- really? How can it be my fault if you can't see the other cache when you search for it by coordinates?-//-

i had been adviced to find all the caches in the area i intend to hide in.

thank god only 1 real mistery cache in my area ... and im not doing any hiding in that area, i leave that area to the sisters who make some outstanding caches.

How much wrong information can you pack into a single post? Your guideline saturation distance is off by a factor almost 4, and it's in no way the OPs fault that he didn't know where the final location of a mystery or multi-cache was. And using Google or Yahoo is pointless when the actual location your checking for is unknown.

Edited by Prime Suspect

Um Prime, you forgot that he was also rude-even if it was worded politely.

Sheesh.

Gringo, I feel you pain and have experienced it myself with some older cache placements. I hope that someday they can figure out a method that allows us to find out if a location is OK saturation-wise, and still prevent finding the final locations of puzzles and multis by playing battleship.

But for now consider how you would feel if the roles were reversed and someone got a new traditional published 10' from the location of your masterpiece puzzle?

Edited by wimseyguy

Did I miss a rule change? I thought 0.1 miles was the limit, 528 feet, 161 meters. 0.2 miles is far enough away, no?

In any case if you can move your cache a bit, and still keep the hide the way you want it, email the reviewer with the new coords first, they will give you a yes/no.

No, one possible direction would be directly on top of the other cache, half the possible "directions" would still be too close, only half of the circle will result in farther away.

If the other cache is too close, it would be less than 528' away(.1). A new location .2 away (or more) in any direction would still be far enough from the other cache to be over the 528' distance even if it was very close to the middle.

Suppose the mystery cache was 520' feet away to the north (8' feet too close), if you moved the new cache .2 to the north, the mystery cache would be now be 536' feet away (to the south) and be fine. If it was anywhere else, it would be even further away. :ph34r:

Edited by 4wheelin_fool

After going thru locating a place, checking the coordinates and seeing that is was .2 miles from another cache, creating a cache page and placing the cache...then having it denied because it was too close to a Mystery / Puzzle cache...is a real pain in the butt.

It's already been said but if you have a lot of puzzle caches in your area, your reviewer is your friend. Check it first before doing any work. It's just as simple as that.

What I don't understand is why puzzle caches have posted coordinates in the first place. Is it to show that they are within a general area? That is really useless information, especially when the distance to the actual cache can be miles. Why can't the coords be ???.??.???...? That way they don't clutter up the GC.com maps with things that are not there.

Lastly, it does seem to me that checking for puzzle caches could be automated on the new cache page listing. As we reach saturation, this might make more and more sense.

How much wrong information can you pack into a single post? Your guideline saturation distance is off by a factor almost 4, and it's in no way the OPs fault that he didn't know where the final location of a mystery or multi-cache was. And using Google or Yahoo is pointless when the actual location your checking for is unknown.

Yes, I addressed this same bizarre post also in my earlier post, and.... I must note that the author also claims that caches must be placed "within 600 metres of another cache." This would mean that there MUST be a cache located every 600 meters in each direction, in a grid formation! And, who knows WHERE she or he got the bizarre figure of 600 meters! :ph34r::unsure:

If the other cache is too close, it would be less than 528' away(.1). A new location .2 away (or more) in any direction would still be far enough from the other cache to be over the 528' distance even if it was very close to the middle.

Suppose the mystery cache was 520' feet away to the north (8' feet too close), if you moved the new cache .2 to the north, the mystery cache would be now be 536' feet away (to the south) and be fine. If it was anywhere else, it would be even further away. :ph34r:

Yes, but you might now be within 528 feet of yet another cache, that is, a cache other than the mystery cache!

but I seem to be noticing that the quality of posts -- and the level of literacy displayed therein -- sent to this forum has markedly deteriorated over the past month or two, and the past few days seem to have seen an even further decline, to the point of absurdity.

I agree with you.

I am a lurker at the VWVortex forum (Volkswagen enthusiasts) and it is probably the worst forum ever in terms of frendliness and politeness. (Maybe the Honda Civic forum could dispute that title?) Anyway, you get flamed for just about anything over there.

I too have noticed the current trend on this forum in general. It's becoming way too much like the Vortex to my taste. I guess I expected more from people who enjoy a good honest-to-god outdoor activity like this.

What I've heard other people do it e-mail the reviewer to check the location before placing OR make the cache page active but ask the reviewer not to publish it yet, just check the coords. Then after that is done then go out and place it and then ask to be published.

But if there was a tool for puzzle caches people woulod find a way to exploit it. Such as trying many different coords to find a close match.

If theres any doubt at all about a location I'm looking at placing a cache, I do this very thing. I do a extremely basic write-up, making notes both in the text and in the reviewer note to please confirm this location is clear for take-off, but please Do Not Publish since the cache and listing is not ready for public consumtion.

I spent hours on a big write-up with HTML, research, and finding pictures to accompany it only to find out the location was taken like the OP and learned my lesson. I moved on better prepared on how to deal with the issue in the future and everything has been fine since.

Live and Learn :ph34r:

It's already been said but if you have a lot of puzzle caches in your area, your reviewer is your friend. Check it first before doing any work. It's just as simple as that.

What I don't understand is why puzzle caches have posted coordinates in the first place. Is it to show that they are within a general area? That is really useless information, especially when the distance to the actual cache can be miles. Why can't the coords be ???.??.???...? That way they don't clutter up the GC.com maps with things that are not there.

Lastly, it does seem to me that checking for puzzle caches could be automated on the new cache page listing. As we reach saturation, this might make more and more sense.

According to the guidelines the puzzle actual location is supposed to be no more than 2 miles from the posted bogus coords. This lets cachers know that the location is within their targeted caching area and then they can decide to solve or ignore. It also keeps mileage straight for travelers. And even if it is 3-5 miles off, that isn't much of a detour for most of us. But if the posted coords are 20+ miles from the actual location it would be much more confusing to decide which puzzles to solve and try to find.

Following the zac-tangent; imagine this note from the reviewer: "I'm sorry but your cache is 615 metres from one cache and 645 metres from another cache, please move it closer to one or the other." :ph34r::unsure:

Original text removed by author (myself) one minute after initial posting. Original post content is being held in abeyance until I can understand better the phenomenon of all the odd and even downright bizarre pieces of advice that some posters are sending to this thread. For some reason, this thread seems to be acting as a magnet for posts containing all kinds of bizarre statements and claims! Is there perhaps a full moon?

I was told that if you spin around 3 times, do a somersault and then lay on your back for 14 seconds, preferably where there are no ticks, you'll somehow magically know how far away and what direction you'll need to go to relocate your cache.

...Following the zac-tangent; imagine this note from the reviewer: "I'm sorry but your cache is 615 metres from one cache and 645 metres from another cache, please move it closer to one or the other." :unsure:;)

You think that you are joking, but Sue and I really DID receive, just this morning, a stern email letter from three local reviewers (MD, parts of VA, parts of PA), advising us that a study using the "...Groundspeak Zac Mapper reveals that there are over 4,900 empty, not-yet-filled-with-a-cache gridline intersection spots on the grid with 600 meter by 600 meter squares centered on your residence", and advising us that we were therefore "...cache placement deficient under the new Zac guidelines", and demanding that we emplace the remaining caches at the empty gridline intersections in the grid layout immediately. Worse, the email notification included a stern warning to the effect that each cache must be exactly 600 meters from each of the other caches located adjacent to it along the horizontal and vertical lines on the grid. Even more astounding, we were notified that if we did "...not reach full compliance in filling the grid near your home by October 20, 2008, your names will be provided to the FBI's new Geocaching Zac Guidelines Enforcement Unit as serial offenders under Zac rule #2B."

Sheesh! :anicute::anibad::grin:

:P

:ph34r:

:lol:

Original post content is being held in abeyance until I can understand better the phenomenon of all the odd and even downright bizarre pieces of advice that some posters are sending to this thread. For some reason, this thread seems to be acting as a magnet for posts containing all kinds of bizarre statements and claims! Is there perhaps a full moon?

The mystery cache you were talking about must have an Additional Log Requirement that tells you to post a bizarre, odd or incorrect piece of advice in this topic...

(also, you may only log the cache during Full Moon, and only if you take it within 600 meters of another cache).

Sometimes you have to go to the posted co-ordinates for one reason or another - Particularly if they are mystery/unknown caches

For True puzzles, I think that it's a good idea to put the posted co-ords in the middle of a body of water - for instance if there is a nearby river...

But then what about the puzzles where you have to solve the puzzles and the add or subract the answer from the posted co-ords, or do something else with the posted co-ords for that matter

:ph34r:

I was told that if you spin around 3 times, do a somersault and then lay on your back for 14 seconds, preferably where there are no ticks, you'll somehow magically know how far away and what direction you'll need to go to relocate your cache.

Actually, you may think that you are joking, but... there is a woman named "Psychic Cache Lady Zelda" who runs a large ad each week in the Psychic section of the Classified ads in the centerfold of the weekly US supermarket tablet The National Enquirer, who claims in her ad that, for a one-shot fee of $79.95, she can give you the EXACT waypoint coordinates for your next hide, and she GUARANTEES that they will not to conflict with be in the clear for a radius of at least 530 feet, that is, that they will not conflict with any other nearby cache hides listed at geocaching.com. And, for an extra $44.95, if paid at the same time as the geocache waypoint fee, she will add a Free Psychic Love Spell to Bring Back Your Lost Lover or Crush Object (jenny donkeys excluded). And yes, she accepts credit cards and debit cards! Call her today at her toll-free number! She sometimes also offers her services on Ebay; her auction bids usually start at $59 for the cache placement reading.

In case it got lost among the electrical interference cause by the time warps.....

The best thing to do if there ary any Mystery or Multicaches (that you have not completed) within 2 miles is to ask the reviewer if your proposed spot is ok.

Either that or go do all the multis and puzzles within 2 miles.

There is a Mystery cache listed in my town that has the actual cache 10 miles away. :ph34r:

The best thing to do if there ary any Mystery or Multicaches (that you have not completed) within 2 miles is to ask the reviewer if your proposed spot is ok.

Either that or go do all the multis and puzzles within 2 miles.

But keep in mind that some puzzle caches will be more than 2 miles from the posted coordinates (grandfathered puzzle caches, and those with a good reason for the exception), and that there is no limit on the distance between the posted coordinates of a multi-cache and its final stage.
There is a Mystery cache listed in my town that has the actual cache 10 miles away. :ph34r:
The first page of my "nearest to home" list includes a couple multi-caches with a final stage more than 20 miles from the first stage (the posted coordinates), and a mystery cache that's at least 14 miles from the posted coordinates.

There is a Mystery cache listed in my town that has the actual cache 10 miles away. :)

There's a 2 mile limit for mysteries/puzzles now, but that wasn't in place before so some caches can be quite far from their posted coords.

There's one near us that has the first stage at the posted coords, but the cache is a puzzle and ultimately requires a combination of driving and hiking 150 miles to find the final. It took us over 2 years to complete.

Edited by Skippermark

but I seem to be noticing that the quality of posts -- and the level of literacy displayed therein -- sent to this forum has markedly deteriorated over the past month or two, and the past few days seem to have seen an even further decline, to the point of absurdity.

I agree with you.

I am a lurker at the VWVortex forum (Volkswagen enthusiasts) and it is probably the worst forum ever in terms of frendliness and politeness. (Maybe the Honda Civic forum could dispute that title?) Anyway, you get flamed for just about anything over there.

I too have noticed the current trend on this forum in general. It's becoming way too much like the Vortex to my taste. I guess I expected more from people who enjoy a good honest-to-god outdoor activity like this.

Wow! Sorry to hear about your experience on those forums! There are some pretty nasty ones out there, though! Some of the worst are forums or list groups devoted to Bible or other religious topics, and also to skiing, for some reason (and did I mention scrapbooking?) A recent case that hit the news media involved the conviction of a man who had issued threats against, and vandalized the car of a man with whom he had disagreed on a ski forum. In fact, I have seen death threats uttered on some other forums and list groups to which I belong, and I have received some of the death threats myself (from two psychotic members of a list group) in such venues. So, this forum is amazingly tame and civil in comparison!

In the case of my earlier emails in this thread, I was specifically referring to a great increase in the number of posts exhibiting content which is psychotic, bizarre, or incoherent and chaotic, and I was not referencing levels of politeness and friendliness. In fact, in general this is a pretty friendly forum, and a rather civil one, as online forums and list groups go, and I have personally not seen any significant decline in levels of levels of civility, politeness or friendliness on this forum of late.

Foiled Again...by another Puzzle Cache...I emailed my reviewer.

Hi...

I'm looking to place a cache at:

N XX XX.XXX

W XXX XX.XXX

Before I go thru the work of making a Cache Page, can you tell me if this is an OK spot...far enough away from other caches?

Thanks

-------------------------------------------------

Unfortunately, there's a Puzzle cache final just XXX feet away from that location.

Edited by TheTexasGringo

Yes, I addressed this same bizarre post also in my earlier post, and.... I must note that the author also claims that caches must be placed "within 600 metres of another cache." This would mean that there MUST be a cache located every 600 meters in each direction, in a grid formation! And, who knows WHERE she or he got the bizarre figure of 600 meters! :):D

Dagnabbit Vinny!

I couldn't believe nobody noticed that either!

I got more and more excited as I got deeper and deeper into the thread coming up with better and better snarks as that kept getting quoted without anyone calling him on it.

What am I going to do for fun now?

sheesh.

:)

edited for speelink

Edited by SimbaJamey

At least the reviewers now have the tools to see if mystery caches interfere. I have a mystery cache in Tulsa that I placed maybe three years ago. Within a few months somebody placed a micro within 30 feet of it and it go approved.

I didn't complain since I know how much work goes into placing caches and it doesn't seem to be causing any confusion as far as I know. That should be avoided since you have to enter the coordinates for the physical cache location.

Edited by yogiabb

Maybe there can be a "Geocaching Acres". A special area where you can pack as many caches as possible into that area and no matter where you place the cache ...it would get an automatic approval.

There would be guardrails with 100's of Magnetic key holders stuck to it, Every tree would look like a Christmas tree with Bison tubes hanging on them, an Ammo box under every log, Fake electrical outlets galore. You could spend the whole day in one area racking up 1000's of finds.

Look there's a signpost up ahead...the next stop "Geocaching Acres".

Maybe there can be a "Geocaching Acres". A special area where you can pack as many caches as possible into that area and no matter where you place the cache ...it would get an automatic approval.

There would be guardrails with 100's of Magnetic key holders stuck to it, Every tree would look like a Christmas tree with Bison tubes hanging on them, an Ammo box under every log, Fake electrical outlets galore. You could spend the whole day in one area racking up 1000's of finds.

Look there's a signpost up ahead...the next stop "Geocaching Acres".

I am STILL laughing out loud at this and I first read it about 5 minutes ago. Too funny! :rolleyes::):huh: