Your thoughts on Hides vs Finds?

Just wondering what others thought about cache placement(hides) verses the ratio of finds a cacher has...

Do you think a cacher should have a certain number of finds under his/her belt - (say 50) before they should be able to place a hide?

I don't want to ruin how people play the game...but maybe caching a few times before placing a cache should be a requirement...

What do you think?

I am not trying to get flamed here ;)

And how would you monitor this?

My wife has 0 (zero) finds on her account. But she has travel bugs out and many finds with me. When she hides her first cache (very soon) she will have an account with 0 (zero) finds and 1 (one) hide.

As been said in previous posts about a "magic" ratio...

I've seen some great hides were there were minimal finds by the owner and have found some real trash from folks with 100's of hides.

edit:

Edited by OzzieSan

Just wondering what others thought about cache placement(hides) verses the ratio of finds a cacher has...

Do you think a cacher should have a certain number of finds under his/her belt - (say 50) before they should be able to place a hide?

I don't want to ruin how people play the game...but maybe caching a few times before placing a cache should be a requirement...

What do you think?

I am not trying to get flamed here :P

No.

Now the conundrum. You want to know what I think without getting flamed? ;) (j/k... really)

I used to think having a minumum number of finds is a good way to learn. And in one sense, it is. Some people are a quicker study than others.

Case in point:

I hade 100 finds and still made mistakes with my first cache. Great location, lousy spot all rolled into one.

I've seen people with a handful of finds and put out great hides. They just have a better eye for it than I did.

There's no telling where your talent is going to come from.

I've seen some great hides were there were minimal finds by the owner and have found some real trash from folks with 100's of hides.

I first think monitoring would be easy..reviewer looks at stats before publishing....simple....However I don't really think this is feasible.... :P they have enough on there plate? Not trying to change rules/regs/or guidelines....just asking for opinions...

I agree with second portion....however I think this is not the norm...I think when I look at cachers who place caches I one look at cache stats, their logs from their finds- longer logs to me indicate time spent really enjoying the cache and letting everyone know. Which may mean they spent a good amount of time planning their cache. I know if I write a short post - TFTCSLTN - really means what a waste of time.... ;) but I am not going to ruin the hiders fun....who am I to judge... I try to mention something about the cache or the experience finding it or getting there.....I am really into hikes in parks and what not...or taking me somewhere historical or great view. I am not big on cache runs -- 80-100 caches...I think the most i did was 21 and it was a loop through a nice park along the lake....most of those caches I remembered something specific about them.

I have run into more issues with those with low finds hiding junk...one hid his cache about a month after he joined...in a zip lock baggie under some rocks....Come ON....it was destroyed within a week...now updated to tupperware....And I actually like the cache it has some local history behind it...

Another just through an ammo can in the woods and the right up said I will get you to the area but if your a geocacher you should be able to find it.....the cords were something like 400 ft off. Archived.

I have seen stuff on private property - quickly rectified.

Me thinks if these particular cachers had some more experience with finds they would understand the need to for quality over quantity (by quantity _ I mean just putting one out there for the sake of putting one out there) Just my thoughts :P

While I wouldn't want to see a hard, enforced policy on hide vs find ratio, I think that cachers with more finds generally do better hides. Then again, I've found some real stinkers from cachers with 4 digit find counts, and one great cache from a guy with only one find.

Everyone has to learn though and hides usually get better with experience.

I first think monitoring would be easy..reviewer looks at stats before publishing....simple....However I don't really think this is feasible.... ;) they have enough on there plate? Not trying to change rules/regs/or guidelines....just asking for opinions...

Did you miss this part?

My wife has 0 (zero) finds on her account. But she has travel bugs out and many finds with me. When she hides her first cache (very soon) she will have an account with 0 (zero) finds and 1 (one) hide.

I first think monitoring would be easy..reviewer looks at stats before publishing....simple....However I don't really think this is feasible.... ;) they have enough on there plate? Not trying to change rules/regs/or guidelines....just asking for opinions...

Did you miss this part?

Nope, Did you miss this part? Not trying to change rules/regs/or guidelines....just asking for opinions...

Just like I didn't miss the part where cachers with many finds hide junk and those with very little in finds had quality....once again this isn't about creating a policy just trying to see what people think and feel about the quality of caches out there and is there a correlation with cache finds vs cache hides.

I've seen Epic Cachers with crappy hides! I've seen newbies with great hides.

The longer you go the better you become at things, and that applies to caching in most cases.

I don't think you should have a set number.

The other day we had a newbie place a cache with only a couple finds. 2 of our FTF'ers here went out at different times during the day and found the COORDs to be WAY OFF.

the container from what they said was good and well hidden.

To me its about the ability to place the entire cache, from COORDS, to container.

What do you think?

Since you asked, it is my belief that experience is our greatest teacher. When I get someone started on the caching craze, I know that soon after the addiction sets in, (often about the time the ink dries on their first log), they'll want to hide a cache. I preach patience, asking that they pick an entirely arbitrary number, (if pressed I suggest 100), and suggest that they find that number of caches prior to hiding their first. I stress that the experience gained from their patience will inevitably result in a better overall caching experience for the folks who find their cache.

It's worked well so far.

Do I support any kind of enforcement from Groundspeak for my own personal preference? Of course not. We've got enough guidelines to wade through as it is.

Will others adopting my methods ensure nothing but great caches in the future? Nope. Some folks are simply hardwired to hide junk, regardless of how many caches they find, while others are more than capable of creating truly memorable caches right out of the gate. But I still think, overall, it's a sound principle. Experience has always been a credible virtue in any task, including hiding a cache.

Edited by Clan Riffster

I asked this same question some time back and was given quite a bit of opinion and advice. I'm happy to say that I've learned there seems to be no or little corolation between the ratio and the quality of caches set. Practice seems to make perfect and each cache setting is a chance to improve your skills. If you're placing a cache and you think others will like it, that should be a good enough reason to continue. ;)

is there a correlation with cache finds vs cache hides.

is different than asking

I don't think there is much of a correlation. Some people are just better cache hiders than others. I do believe that we learn by experience so people who have hidden and perhaps have found many caches may have a better idea of what containers are more likely to have wet logs or broken lids and what kinds of hides are more likely to be muggled. It might be that they will avoid some problems based on this but it doesn't seem to be a guarantee. Sometimes someone with experience will have seen a unique hiding style somewhere and bring that to their area. That's how LPCs became so widespread. I don't see any evidence that experience means you're going to hide fewer PnGs and more hiking caches or that you're going to pick a nice park or historic location for cache instead of a parking lot. People will hide caches similar to ones they like to find. More creative people will be more creative, less creative people will copy or stick with something that doesn't require as much effort. (I may take that back. I live in Los Angeles and know several cachers who by profession are considered creative - actors, screenwriters, producers, set designers, videographers, video game designers. Some have hidden really creative caches and others seem to favor lampposts and newsracks. So cache creativity may have some correlation to other creativity but it is certainly not one for one.)

No.

Instead of wasting spending time on searching 50+ lame urban microcaches, new hiders should use this time to read and understand the guidelines and the geocaching hiding tips instead. Then go out and research nice and interesting locations and see, if one of them is suitable for a cache.

Some of the best caches i've found, are from cachers that had less than 10 finds. Some of the worst caches i've ever found were placed by cachers with thousands of finds.

I would prefer Groundspeak to come up with an IQ test, or online exam, where cachers would have to answer a bunch of "fill in the blank questions," pertaining to the comprehension of cache guidelines. ;)

Although I would agree that you should have some finds under your belt, I would also say that the more you hide the better you hide. We waited until we had quite a few finds before jumping into hiding. We wet our feet and then hid a few more.

However, on our newest find we learned something new about posting. I would have never learned how to average, things to include in the posting, things to leave out, etc. without actually hiding. I will say that after 5 hides, my next 19 will be extremely intentional. I will pay attention to details that I would have never considered after 250, 500, 1000 finds - but now will after 5 hides.

Experience sometimes matters with doing it, not just finding someone elses doing.

Nope, Did you miss this part? Not trying to change rules/regs/or guidelines....just asking for opinions...

Just like I didn't miss the part where cachers with many finds hide junk and those with very little in finds had quality....once again this isn't about creating a policy just trying to see what people think and feel about the quality of caches out there and is there a correlation with cache finds vs cache hides.

I guess you've missed the other 14.000 times this has been asked... ;)

What do you think?

Since you asked, it is my belief that experience is our greatest teacher.

Will others adopting my methods ensure nothing but great caches in the future? Nope. Some folks are simply hardwired to hide junk, regardless of how many caches they find, while others are more than capable of creating truly memorable caches right out of the gate. But I still think, overall, it's a sound principle. Experience has always been a credible virtue in any task, including hiding a cache.

I have to agree...

is there a correlation with cache finds vs cache hides.

is different than asking

I don't think there is much of a correlation. Some people are just better cache hiders than others. I do believe that we learn by experience so people who have hidden and perhaps have found many caches may have a better idea of what containers are more likely to have wet logs or broken lids and what kinds of hides are more likely to be muggled. It might be that they will avoid some problems based on this but it doesn't seem to be a guarantee. Sometimes someone with experience will have seen a unique hiding style somewhere and bring that to their area. That's how LPCs became so widespread. I don't see any evidence that experience means you're going to hide fewer PnGs and more hiking caches or that you're going to pick a nice park or historic location for cache instead of a parking lot. People will hide caches similar to ones they like to find. More creative people will be more creative, less creative people will copy or stick with something that doesn't require as much effort. (I may take that back. I live in Los Angeles and know several cachers who by profession are considered creative - actors, screenwriters, producers, set designers, videographers, video game designers. Some have hidden really creative caches and others seem to favor lampposts and newsracks. So cache creativity may have some correlation to other creativity but it is certainly not one for one.)

Your 1st quote confuzzed me :P

I certainly am not making this into a creativity issue....I am well aware of the the uniqueness of some caches out there...but I too think this comes from seeing what is out there.... and unique...sneaky...truly devious hides are wonderful....so if you can figure a way to make lamp posts more enticing I will go but so far to date I only have 2.....I think experience and tweeking what you have seen makes this hobby fun...But I am still up for the traditional hide under some sticks too....

I think with experience comes the willingness to want to up the ante...Like someone mentioned above ... To me its about the ability to place the entire cache, from COORDS, to container....

The correlation I was trying to make was cacher hides to the ratio of finds for that particular cacher....I wasn't talking over the whole GS.....because as far as I am concerned the quality is really on the decline... ;)

So far I think I have gathered that most agree there are some real bad ones hidden by those with lots of finds and pretty darn good ones with cachers with few finds

and

Experience does play a role... following guidelines, scoping out a great place, getting the coords right, creativity, finding the right container, doing an adequate job on the cache page, etc.

The longer you go the better you become at things, and that applies to caching in most cases.

The other day we had a newbie place a cache with only a couple finds. 2 of our FTF'ers here went out at different times during the day and found the COORDs to be WAY OFF.

To me its about the ability to place the entire cache, from COORDS, to container.

Poor geometry when the cache was placed and the poor geomtry when the cache is looked for could make the coords seem "WAY OFF", add in some obstructions and RFI and the situation only gets worse. How far off was "WAY OFF"? I've seen "WAY OFF" described by as litlle as 20 feet! I may be concerned starting @ 50 feet, but with the variables described above sometimes even 50 feet aint to bad.

...I don't want to ruin how people play the game...but maybe caching a few times before placing a cache should be a requirement...

What do you think?...

Finding caches is different than owning them. Onwers should place a cache when their muse calls. Requiring a certain number of finds teaches cachers local hiding styles and in a way gets in the way of some good caches since it tends to blind owners to other potential. All you need to do is travel a bit to see that there are regional cache styles.

Although I would agree that you should have some finds under your belt, I would also say that the more you hide the better you hide. We waited until we had quite a few finds before jumping into hiding. We wet our feet and then hid a few more.

However, on our newest find we learned something new about posting. I would have never learned how to average, things to include in the posting, things to leave out, etc. without actually hiding. I will say that after 5 hides, my next 19 will be extremely intentional. I will pay attention to details that I would have never considered after 250, 500, 1000 finds - but now will after 5 hides.

Experience sometimes matters with doing it, not just finding someone elses doing.

very good point....learn by doing....

I guess you've missed the other 14.000 times this has been asked... :P

Sure Did! Sorry don't spend as much time in these here forums as I do caching..... ;)

Please stick to topic...and not flame me...it is very easy for you not to look at this particular forum since you have seen it 14,000 times....

...I don't want to ruin how people play the game...but maybe caching a few times before placing a cache should be a requirement...

What do you think?...

Finding caches is different than owning them. Onwers should place a cache when their muse calls. Requiring a certain number of finds teaches cachers local hiding styles and in a way gets in the way of some good caches since it tends to blind owners to other potential. All you need to do is travel a bit to see that there are regional cache styles.

I too have seen this...started caching in PA and now live in NC definitely different styles....to say the least...

Another well thought out point...lots of copycats but again that is where a persons creativity(muse) comes into play.....

Do you think a cacher should have a certain number of finds under his/her belt -

No. I've seen great caches hidden by novices and lousy caches hidden by people with thousands of finds.

If someone comes along with great ideas for caches, why poison his mind by making him find 50 LPC and

guardrail hides first?

Another well thought out point...lots of copycats but again that is where a persons creativity(muse) comes into play.....
For a long time I had as many hides as finds as because I have as much, if not more, fun hiding a cache (and reading the fun logs) as finding them. I have seen people who have hid 1 or 2 hides and they're great hides. I have seen people with many, many hides without much creativity. I agree you learn as you go, but people's hides are generally a reflection of their creativity and imagination. I enjoy logs from vacationing cachers stating they're taking an idea back home to use... especially the wicked evil ones ;)

But I think things work well the way they are. No need to rock the boat.

And a cache rating system that a cacher can fill out on the cache page when they log a find would help owners keep up with what the general caching public likes and dislikes.... Ooops, did I say that..... again? Shhhhhhhhhhhh

What do you think?

I am not trying to get flamed here

I think its a shame people feel they have to make this statement prior to expressing or asking for an opinion. I've seen this many times before in posts...feeling like you have to start with a defense before the attacks come.... ;)

No rule or law can cover every situation in any sport/hobby/game. But personally I think asking for a few finds before placing a cache might be helpful. That's pretty easy for a reviewer to check. A hider with no finds could always "plead" his or her case to a reviewer to ask for an exception (co-caching experience as mentioned here). Having recently seen one of the worst caches I've ever seen, hidden by someone with no finds at all, I wouldn't object to a guideline requiring a bit of experience. As someone else mentioned, experience is a good teacher. Would a little experience always make for a perfect hide? Heck no! But it might help. Personally I like to learn and have no problem with different avenues to learning how to make a hide better. Like many newbs, I was anxious to place my first hide but the more I cached, the more I realized I needed to take my time. It was a long time before I hid my first and I worked on it for 2 months or more. So far its been well received. I'm glad I waited and learned from more experience.

Having expressed my opinion on the OP's musings...heaven forbid I am not dare suggesting anything be changed at all to geocaching rules/guidelines. That's sheer heresy--anarchy--lunacy!! :P:P

Poor geometry when the cache was placed and the poor geomtry when the cache is looked for could make the coords seem "WAY OFF", add in some obstructions and RFI and the situation only gets worse. How far off was "WAY OFF"? I've seen "WAY OFF" described by as litlle as 20 feet! I may be concerned starting @ 50 feet, but with the variables described above sometimes even 50 feet aint to bad.

I believe it was said to be well over 100 feet. There was a cache that is now archived in the same general location, no other issue with it. I believe this person sat the cache down, and pulled the GPS out of their pocket, wrote down what they saw and left. We all know what happens when you do this.

Granted its a lightly wooded location, but still, nothing a few minutes to allow the GPS to just settle can't fix.

As I just placed my very first Cache 5 minutes ago, I'll throw in my two cents..

I have 136 caches found.. I'd have more, but I've been seduced by Benchmarking and that has been my primary focus the last year... but I still felt bad about seeing that Zero Placed on my profile.. so I wanted to give back..

I heavily scouted my home area (easier to check on them if they are close.. dadgum gas prices..) and finally placed one.. and I'll be doing a few more in the next few days..

But I guess my point is this.. after finding many of them and seeing many of them in the forums talked about I had a better idea about everything.. I think experience does indeed help here..

But if you are a Geocaching Idiot Savant, by all means do it immediately... but I firmly believe hunting for them first is generally beneficial...

Do you think a cacher should have a certain number of finds under his/her belt -

No. I've seen great caches hidden by novices and lousy caches hidden by people with thousands of finds.

If someone comes along with great ideas for caches, why poison his mind by making him find 50 LPC and

guardrail hides first?

Yeah I think this is a very good point as mentioned earlier...what you don't like LPC and guardrail caches....LMAO

And a cache rating system that a cacher can fill out on the cache page when they log a find would help owners keep up with what the general caching public likes and dislikes.... Ooops, did I say that..... again? Shhhhhhhhhhhh

Humm whatever might you be talking about....Now this would be interesting....

If you could just write it in the log (that the cache stunk) without fear of the owner deleting your log that might work too..... :P but this leaves room for retailation....

Had this happen to me once when I questioned ones geocaching tactics via e-mail....and then my coins started to be virtually logged and disappeared and later my cache went missing.... ;) NO I have no real proof but it is pretty clear who it is....know locally and was banned for a short time....

Edited by steel city babes

There is likely some cooralation of finds to hides for most people but then that would involve research I'm not interested in doing. Finding a decent number before hiding is going to give the hider a better idea about the whole process of what is involved in finding it and how / where to place them but Hiding is a completely different beast that will only be learned by experience. I'm not a big fan of the ammo can under some sticks or the lamp post cache but I like being able to pick one up to kill a little time or explore someplace I haven't been. My thing is the container, I enjoy a well crafted, disquised, concealed container that is unique and better yet right under your nose. If all you find are ammo cans then that is what most will copy. If every find is new and unique you say WOW and want to emulate the creativity. There were a few craftsmen in my area and when I started and when I started to hide I wanted to ecourage that aspect and said so in my profile. As a result, those that followed seemed to pick up the challenge and have been prolific with quality hides from the start of their hiding careers.

What do you think?...

Good point. Consider the following. A new cacher lives in a cache rich urban or suburban area and due to the cache density in the area quickly gets to 50 or so finds. However, most of those finds are hide a key containers in big box store, pharmacy, or chain caffeinated beverage and pastry stores. Another large percentage are park-n-grab micros hidden in guard rails. The new cacher, eager to have their own hide, finds a parking lot or guard rail which doesn't have a cache in it and sees it as an obvious spot for another cache.

I would prefer Groundspeak to come up with an IQ test, or online exam, where cachers would have to answer a bunch of "fill in the blank questions," pertaining to the comprehension of cache guidelines. :(

Hey, I just made that same suggestion in another thread. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one with that thought.

Back to topic...

The more caches I find the less caches I hide. Why? As I find a wider range of caches I discover every good idea I have has already been done by someone else. (Sort of like the online quiz thing!) When I had fewer finds I would hide more caches because I was deluded enough to think my ideas were still original and creative.

Hide whenever you think you are ready and you have either a creative idea of a good location. Hide as many as you can maintain. That's the approach I take.

I would like to see them place a cache right away and maintain it for a few months. Maybe then they would learn the value of re-hiding it as good if not better than they find them. Why trading equal or up is important.

Every cacher has a different opinions on whats a good cache and whats not. Its been stated time and again that newbies can/do place quality caches.

placed my first cache before i had 10 finds, placed a second one before i made 20 finds, got hide 3+4 ready and only have a few more finds since my last hide.

i was asking questions before placement of my first and i also got the reply : find some more caches to get more ideas.

one VERY good remark i got was : get an experienced cacher to testrun it, even if its a traditional.

even if its a pretty straightforward cache, you'll at least get some good pointers and a good talk with an experienced cacher. with "experienced" i mean a mature person with mature finds.

another remark i got was that placing a cache just for the hell of it might mess up someonelses multi or powertrail they have been working on for a while.

I did have an experienced cachers testrun both of em before i submitted for review. so i was confident enough and placed the caches.

nothing but good remarks, cache container reward coin, thumbs up from experienced cachers, positive "first time i see this" remarks, thanks for the walk... all positives.

i enjoy setting these up, sharing the experience/location, everything has to be just right. I aim to put a silly, satisfied grin on the finders face rather then a +1 on the stats, make some aspect of the hunt/find memorable, thats what i look for in a cache : a good time.

so for the questioin "certain finds before hide" : no, but inform yourself, read the guidelines, ALL of em. read logs, read forums. ask questions. GET SOMEONE TO TESTRUN IT !

unles you wanna make an arse of yerself or wanna ask that question that has been answered over and over and over and someone will quote it from the FAQ.

now i'm off to hide the cache of my next multi :laughing: , dont want to let the testrunner wait for too long.

We had a new cacher appear in our area one day with 2 hides and no finds. The caches were two 35mm containers, completly taped up so that they wouldn't leak(cover taped over, had to cut it open). No logs and the co-ordinates were way off, 10-20 meters. He has since hidden 25 more, which now have logs, and still only has a few finds. Most of us ingnore them now and most of them are poor hides in poor areas. We have emailed him and invited him to some local events but he doesn't show up. We have a good support system in our area with many local events to socialize and we always invite any new cachers. I believe that most cachers should get a few under their belt before hiding, I wasn't comfortable untill about 200 finds. Some people love to hide and that is great but if you get a reputation for poor hides you won't get any finds on them.

No.

Having a certain amount of finds does not make one a better hider. Some of the best finds around here are by people with only a couple finds.

When someone has a low number of finds, they seem to put a lot of thought and effort into their hides rather than just sticking something anywhere.

Edit to add that the only thing I don't like to see, and it happens sometimes with newer cachers is underrated terrain. Lots of new hiders will sometimes think a cache on easy terrain is automatically a 1 terrain. Yes, it may be easy to get to, but a lot of them aren't true 1 terrains.

Edited by Skippermark