Palm TX

I tried cachemate, but didn't care for it.

I prefer Plucker. Using CYBret's awesome GeocacherU tutorial will get you started, but I would suggest a few tweaks.

First, use GSAK's html export feature instead of GPX Spinner. It runs faster, gives a few more goodies, and is one less piece of software to mess with.

Second, use Sunrise Desktop (or SunriseXP) instead of plucker's desktop application. It's just as easy to set up, runs faster, is less likely to crash, and allows you to easily get any pictures from the cache pages to the cache pages on your pda.

I also use Cache Log Book on my pda to maintain a handy little database of all my caching adventures.

BTW, Plucker, Sunrise Desktop (or SunriseXP), and Cache Log Book are all free.

Edited by sbell111

Hang onto your receipt and warranty info! I had two dud TXs in a row before finally getting one that worked for more than a week. :rolleyes:

It took months to get the warranty service too; I was quite ticked off because they seemed to be deliberately stalling. It was the first time I'd been that long without a PDA since the things were invented.

For software, I use Plucker to view the output of GSAK's output-to-HTML feature. Works like a charm.

GSAK is not free, is that correct? That was my understanding and why I've been using GPX Spinner with my Palm T|X.

GSAK has a stall screen that will be activated if you don't register after 21 days. You should download it and try it out. I think that you'll be glad that you did.

Edited by sbell111

I prefer Plucker. Using CYBret's awesome GeocacherU tutorial will get you started, but I would suggest a few tweaks.

First, use GSAK's html export feature instead of GPX Spinner. It runs faster, gives a few more goodies, and is one less piece of software to mess with.

Second, use Sunrise Desktop (or SunriseXP) instead of plucker's desktop application. It's just as easy to set up, runs faster, is less likely to crash, and allows you to easily get any pictures from the cache pages to the cache pages on your pda.

I also use Cache Log Book on my pda to maintain a handy little database of all my caching adventures.

I have a T/X and it's been working great.. Depending on how many caches you plan on storing Plucker is extremely slow. Usually takes overnight to get 2000 or so. If you use the combination of GSAK and Cachemate it takes me literally five minutes to load everything including my Garmin Nuvi (using POI). My Palm T|X with about 3500 waypoints using cachemate and 1000 waypoints on my Etrex Vista. Sooooo much quicker than watch plucker spin it's wheels.

I have a T/X and it's been working great.. Depending on how many caches you plan on storing Plucker is extremely slow. Usually takes overnight to get 2000 or so.
That's one of the several reasons I gave to forgo plucker's desktop application. Sunrise is much faster.
I have a T/X and it's been working great.. Depending on how many caches you plan on storing Plucker is extremely slow. Usually takes overnight to get 2000 or so. If you use the combination of GSAK and Cachemate it takes me literally five minutes to load everything including my Garmin Nuvi (using POI). My Palm T|X with about 3500 waypoints using cachemate and 1000 waypoints on my Etrex Vista. Sooooo much quicker than watch plucker spin it's wheels.
Agreed... I have been using a T/X for a couple years without a hitch. I got a nice belt clip holder with a magnetic flap and I can whip it fast off and on to my belt without looking. My only complaint was the case didn't cover the stylus hole and I was worried it would slide out since it was loose. But that all changed when I dropped it trying to put it on my belt. The only damage was a slight dent in the corner of the T/X but it was where the stylus goes in so now I have to use a little force to get the stylus in and out... cool!

And I use GSAK and CacheMate and have been very happy, especially since I am now getting my databases organized. I have a different GSAK database for my owned caches that includes all stages of my multis and everything, and I have a different set of upload parameters so they only show up as waypoints and not geocaches. Then differenr databases for different local areas we cache in. A quick PQ update, pull it in to GSAK, upload to GPSr and then export to CacheMate file and into the Palm DB and we're ready to go. Mutliple DB's in the Palm and like switching between them, searching by GC code or name, I like it.

Whatever works for ya!

I'll throw another card into the mix.

Instead of Plucker or Sunrise, use iSilo and iSilox.

Same HTML pages as Plucker without the crashing, hanging and waiting. I opted for this route instead of using Plucker and Sunrise (two different products) and have been happy. It's $19.99 after a 30-day free trial IIRC.

Try it - you'll like it.

CacheMate is great for what it is. Plain text of the caches, but having the HTML pages, pictures, etc. is just so much nicer IMO.

God my head hurts. This is my first Palm and I am haveing a hell of a time figuring out how to load Cachemate and where to load it, the desk top of my lap top the Palm. This is gonna take me a long time to figure out.

HELP

Edited by timcr810

Hang onto your receipt and warranty info! I had two dud TXs in a row before finally getting one that worked for more than a week. :)

It took months to get the warranty service too; I was quite ticked off because they seemed to be deliberately stalling. It was the first time I'd been that long without a PDA since the things were invented.

No kidding! I had a bad digitizer on my T|X and I just got it back from warranty repair today. The digitizer is a well-known issue.

Hopefully this one is fixed now.....

I also use the Palm TX. Have had mine for over a year, and have had no problems so far!

I use Cachemate, GSAK, and Delorme Topo maps on the Palm as well!

Using these, you can set up the Palm for the ultimate paperless caching experience!

I currently have 3 different areas loaded into the Palm for my different caching areas.

Georgia (where I live) (200 caches)

Tennessee (vacation) ( 200 caches)

and a new one for Maine where we will be vacationing in September! (200 caches)

You can load Cachemate, and the other programs from your Laptop, or Desktop, using your Palm software!

Also, the caches will show up on the Delorme topo maps on your Palm as well!

Hope this helps!

BlAcKrOk

I'll throw another card into the mix.

Instead of Plucker or Sunrise, use iSilo and iSilox.

Same HTML pages as Plucker without the crashing, hanging and waiting. I opted for this route instead of using Plucker and Sunrise (two different products) and have been happy. It's $19.99 after a 30-day free trial IIRC.

Try it - you'll like it.

CacheMate is great for what it is. Plain text of the caches, but having the HTML pages, pictures, etc. is just so much nicer IMO.

After using iSilo/iSiloX successfully for over a year, I have had problems with it. Maybe someone can help? I have iSilo 4.39 on the Palm T|X, and iSiloX 4.37 on the computer. I use GPS spinner to convert the zip file. When I convert and sync, all I get is a lot of tiny type on the PDA. I don't know what I am doing wrong! I selected the correct PDA on the setup menu.

Thanks DocRoss

After using iSilo/iSiloX successfully for over a year, I have had problems with it. Maybe someone can help? I have iSilo 4.39 on the Palm T|X, and iSiloX 4.37 on the computer. I use GPS spinner to convert the zip file. When I convert and sync, all I get is a lot of tiny type on the PDA. I don't know what I am doing wrong! I selected the correct PDA on the setup menu.
It might be the font. The button #2 (calendar) on my iSilo options is mapped to "larger font" so I just hit the calendar button to make the type bigger. Button #1 one is smaller font.

This is gonna take me a long time to figure out.

Actually, it really isn't that bad.

First, install the Palm software and cradle onto your computer.

Then, download Cachemate (if that's what you decide to use). The registered version is only $8.

Once you have the Cachemate file, simply add it to the Palm Desktop software for installation during the next Hot Synch.

The next time you Hot Synch (probably right after adding the Cachemate file to the Palm Desktop), Cachemate will be loaded onto your Palm! It really is just about that simple. Let me know if you have any problems. You can PM me if you want.

Grigorii Rasputin,

http://grigoriirasputin.wordpress.com

I have a T/X and it's been working great.. Depending on how many caches you plan on storing Plucker is extremely slow. Usually takes overnight to get 2000 or so.
That's one of the several reasons I gave to forgo plucker's desktop application. Sunrise is much faster.

For years I used Spinner and Plucker but Spinner started leaving out caches which created problems when I was hiding caches.....also certain " spun " files were locking up Plucker........about a year ago I got GSAK and all problems went away, it is a WONDERFULL program.

I have no problem with Plucker though......my "200 cache" files update in about 30 sec or so and a "500 cache" file might take a minute or so. Every file updated by Plucker can be saved in a folder on your hard drive and then copied to other backup PDA's/ Cards.......on a long trip I may have 40 files on my PDA memory stick or SD card, each file represents 200 caches in a certain city or caches along a route. I don't think you can do all this with Cachemate AND you have to pay for it.

Really, as slick as this works on Clie's and Palms you can get cheap on ebay I'm not sure I'd want it all on my GPS.

I prefer Plucker.

I've always used Cachemate but am open to trying new things. Does Plucker allow you to mark caches found and things like that? See TBs in them? Are they any screenshots of Plucker in action?

Edit to ask if it's possible to have databases with Plucker, one for different states for instance?

Edited by Skippermark

Yikes. I sent 2500 caches to Cachemate from GSAK when we went on a trip, and it took maybe a minute to generate it, send it to the Palm and then import it into Cachemate.

I prefer Plucker.

I've always used Cachemate but am open to trying new things. Does Plucker allow you to mark caches found and things like that? See TBs in them? Are they any screenshots of Plucker in action?

Edit to ask if it's possible to have databases with Plucker, one for different states for instance?

Plucker doesn't allow you to mark caches as found. (I use Cache Log Book for that, and more.) Plucker does give you the TB info as well as see any pics that are on the cache page. In fact, it basically is the cache page.

Yikes. I sent 2500 caches to Cachemate from GSAK when we went on a trip, and it took maybe a minute to generate it, send it to the Palm and then import it into Cachemate.

This is one of the reasons that I suggested Sunrise instead of Plucker's desktop app. It churns through that many caches in just a few minutes and results in better output than Plucker (and cachemate, in my opinion). BTW, CYBret's tutorial gives very good advice as to what you can be doing while waiting for the data to be processed.

The reason that it takes a bit of time is because it has to go to the GC.com site to grab referenced images, which would be unavailable to those who use cachemate.

Edited by sbell111