Cardinal Caches

Was just wondering if there was a way to find out which caches are the furthest North, furthest East, furthest West, and furthest South.

I saw there was a search feature at gc.com but blindly trying to the cache is a bit rough so was wondering if there was another method that be a bit easier.

Edited by ComputerCacheBug

North and south aren't that easy since you zoom too far out you don't see the cahces anymore.

As for the east and west I am thinking they would probably be the farthest west and east from the Merridian. Just as the north and south are farthest from the equator.

As others have stated, even from a fixed point, the furthest East cache would be just west of that point. I'm not sure "furthest E and W" have any useful meaning. Where does East "stop?"

The N S idea has possibilities.

:D Aside from Fort Worth, the 180 line East/West runs mostly through the Pacific Ocean. There could be, but aren't, caches on either side of it in the eastern Siberia, and again there could be (but aren't) caches along it in the Aleutian Islands.

There's a cache in Fiji GCFB7B at S 16° 48.111 E 179° 23.448 that may be the easternmost, unless there are some islands off New Zealand.

The southernmost and westernmost is the virtual, No Further South From Here GCHN13 at S 90° 00.000 W 180° 00.000

Edited by palmetto

All snarkiness aside, the furthest west cache, assumed to be the cache with the highest longitude coordinate preceeded by a "W", would be the first cache to the east of the International Date Line. The furthest east cache would be the first cache to the west of the same line.

Furthest North: GCFB7B is listed at N 89° 03.504, but the actual cache is at N 43° 03.504, slightly outside the 2-mile offset limit. I believe the most northern cache location is: GC5803, "As North As It Gets!", N 82° 30.720 W 062° 43.820

Furthest South: GCHN13, "No Further South From Here", S90° 00.000, W180° 00.000, a virtual in Antartica

Furthest West: GCHN13, "No Further South From Here", S90° 00.000, W180° 00.000, a virtual in Antartica

(Technically, the "west" cache is just a trick of listing, but it *does* have the most western coordinate)

Furthest East: I *think* it's GCFB7B, "Sun-Sun", at S 16° 48.111 E 179° 23.448

Thank you so much for the references, in what manner did you use to search? The advance search off the front page? I am thinking though for the east may actually have to look at the 90 degree portion. By that I mean if we were to rotate the planet so that the east west were in the north/ south positions, so then 90E 0N/S would be at the new Pole as well as 90W NS 0 would be the south pole. (If that makes sense any).

Where does East "stop?"

Where West begins. We have longitude lines that define these things. :D

Yet it does nothing to define the "farthest east" or "farthest west" on earth. Not very useful ides IMO.

I won't even point out that the OP used the word fUrthest...oooppsss...there I go again.

Edited by PhxChem

I won't even point out that the OP used the word fUrthest...oooppsss...there I go again.

There you go again, claiming not to point something out while pointing it out.

Actually, "fUrthest" works for us--depends how you define the word "degree"... :D

Thank you so much for the references, in what manner did you use to search? The advance search off the front page?

I don't know how J-Way did his search for the Northernmost cache. You'll notice that I didn't offer one - because I knew how much work it would be. There's really no easy way to search in the manner you're wanting.

For southernmost it was a question of knowing that the Antarctic virtual existed, and when I looked at it, I saw that they had used W180 , making it the westernmost as well (they could have used E180 - making it the easternmost, or anything in between)

Had I not known about it, I would have gone to the Hide and Seek and cache function, and chosen Antarctica as the country, and just started opening pages looking for coords. Or a PQ of those search results dumped into GSAK would allow me to rank them by coords - ie, north to south. You could still do that, if you wanted the southernmost physical cache.

For Easternmost and westernmost, I took a look at a globe. Assuming easternmost is defined as E180, and westernmost is defined as W180 (which are identical locations by the way - the longitude line directly opposite the globe from the Zero line) I looked for land masses where I'd expect to find caches near that line. Fiji looked likely, so I went to Hide and Seek a cache, pick Fiji as Country and opened up some pages - there aren't many. Tonga is near the line on the west side - it's not listed on GC.com as a country, presumably there are no caches there.

Northernmost is tougher. Had J-Way not posted his example - I'd likely have tried something in Alaska or Canada. I did check for a north pole virtual. There may be a cache further north then his example, but looking for it would involve asking for caches at assorted N82 N83 N84 etc, paired W, and E coords around the globe.

Hey, I (correctly) used "farthest" in my post! :laughing:

Like StarBrand said, farthest east and west from what point?

fur·thest Spelled Pronunciation[fur-thist]

–adjective, adverb superl. of far with fur·ther as compar.

far Pronunciation[fahr] Pronunciation Key - adverb, adjective, far·ther or fur·ther, far·thest or fur·thest.