Trading Styles in Person

pghlooking

Over the years I have noticed very different styles of trading coins. At the same event you will have someone sitting there over their hords of coins, making very buisness like decisions. Each trade is more like a clculated chess move than a coin trade. A trade won't happen unless they are sure they are getting some great deal. Then to the complete other extreme you have someone like TAR who relies on you being honest. When I traded with him last year at MWGB, he was cooking breakfast. His coins were laying on a table and told me to pick what I wanted and just leave what I thought was fair. I was compelled to leave more so I didn't feel like I was taking advantage of his openness.

I tend to fall closer to TAR than the strictly buisness attitude as I have often traded for something I already have just so the person I was trading could get what they wanted. Usually the person's attitude and personality comes into play as to whether I even want to trade. Sometimes I will just give them the coin either for nothing, or for a furtures trade. Sometimes I have been burned, but more often than not, I really just paid a small fee to get to know another cacher. At the GCF multi event, left my traders open and just asked anyone who wanted to make a trade to let me know if they found something they liked. Once they had "X" number of coins, then I would pick through their traders for some things I wanted in exchange.

So what is your style of trading? Are you headed to GW looking to trade for some specific coins or just looking to unload some extras for stuff you don't have? Will you have a handbook of coins versus values, or will your book be nothing more than a log book of who you met while trading?

I need more coffee... who is TAR?

Except for a couple of old doubles we had a year ago we trade our own coins that are usually in a trade only version. For example a blue or green Shark. This year it's a totally new shark in a version that won't be sold once again. We prefer to trade for your personal coin, trackable or not but on rare occasions folks have offered us something other than their personal that we wanted to add to our collection.

This is a good thread....having never been to a big event i don't have a style...i want to trade but am concerned about being married to my coins at the same time....I like to mingle and i like coins...is it easy to do both?? And does everyone bring their htf coins? Also, do they leave their untrackables at home (unless its your personal??)

This is a good thread....having never been to a big event i don't have a style...i want to trade but am concerned about being married to my coins at the same time....I like to mingle and i like coins...is it easy to do both?? And does everyone bring their htf coins? Also, do they leave their untrackables at home (unless its your personal??)

I, too, enjoy both :laughing: So, this is a good point, also.

GW is my first big event - how do I find people who want to trade coins? And, do people bring them in albums?? I may or may not make it to the geocoin swap, so I'm hoping to be able to connect either at the meet and greet or at GW.

Any suggestions?

Edited by BlueMotmot

GW is my first big event - how do I find people who want to trade coins? And, do people bring them in albums?? I may or may not make it to the geocoin swap, so I'm hoping to be able to connect either at the meet and greet or at GW.

Any suggestions?

At GW5, people seemed to find each other. I made my first trade about ten seconds after I had picked up my registration packet. I then sat down at a table with my Bay Area friends and throughout the event, other coiners came over and joined us to trade or talk. I didn't stay there the whole time. I had someone watch my stuff so I could walk around and check out the vendors and talk to other non-coiners. At the end of the night, there were a couple of hours set up for geocoin trading. I didn't see anything listed on the schedule but I guess that's what the Geocoin Trading Event in Roseville later that night is for.

As for the OT, I usually trade for something I like, whether I think it's a "good deal" or not. I also give out coins and pins if someone doesn't have anything to trade. Definitely not "business-like".

I need more coffee... who is TAR?

The Alabama Rambler.

Didn't someone steal his Moun10bike coin last year at such an event? I too enjoyed watching him at GCF and admired his calm and carefree attitude. Personally I like my coins too much to dump them on a table and let everyone rummage through them like it's a Garage Sale.

Trading coins in person for me would be the same as trading via mail - if I have a coin you want, and you have something that I like, we trade. I have had to turn a few trades down because the only coins offered were personals or things that I didn't have any interest in.

I likely won't be trading coins at this event just because it's so big, there's so many people and I won't be there the entire day.

Note - I don't trade my personal coin, they are find-in-a-cache-only.

Don't forget for all you GW6 traders. I'll be holed up at a certain event from 12-3 PM on Saturday at the GW6 grounds, so stop by and find me so we can swap stuff.

You'll have to email me for more specifics :D

TMA

I'll be there too! Although I don't think I'll last very long :D

Don't forget for all you GW6 traders. I'll be holed up at a certain event from 12-3 PM on Saturday at the GW6 grounds, so stop by and find me so we can swap stuff.

You'll have to email me for more specifics :D

TMA

Talk about teasers,,,,,,, I want to be there too,,,,,,, Oh well!!! Have to wait till Aug, well maybe Oct. Too. Don't think I will bring the "kid" make it easier on us older folks.

Have a great time trading, wish we could be there. As far as OT, We are kinda the well if you have something I don't cool, got a personal and I got a chance to meet you, even better, if not we'll work something out. We don't say no very often. Makes neat friends that way.

Trading Style? Hmmm.... Don't have one, don't trade coins, just like to drop them in caches and/or help to move travellers along, that's my style. Certainly makes it easier on my back, it's fun though to watch everyone lugging 100's of pounds of coins around in various ways!

I know of a few coins that I would like to get while I'm out there, but overall I don't expect to do a lot of trading. I'm more interested in seeing friends, and maybe giving out some gifts :D

Oooh, I'm first in line for gifts. . . :)

No gifts for you :laughing: :laughing:

I've only had the opportunity to trade at events like the Midwest Geobash and Pirates of Harriman, but I did the same thing both times. My regular editions go in one box and I'll pretty much trade for anything, but I seek out personals mostly. The AEs and LEs go in another box and I try to find the harder to find ones to trade for those. In both cases though I'm a firm believer in 1 coin for 1 coin trades. I don't buy into the "give me 3 of yours for 1 of my special coins" type trades. Of course, sometimes, I'm just inspired to give away some coins for fun and besides, how do you turn down a kid who's eyes are glazed over with awe at the site of a coin and offers to trade you for his personal sig item that he made himself?! :):)

edit for poor grammar...as usual

Edited by fox-and-the-hound