FTF Prize

I am still new so forgive me if this has been asked 10,001 times. I would like to know what others think would be a good prize for the FTF of caches I place. Please understand that I am not related in any way to the Gates, Getty, Rockefeller or Onasis families and therefore am interested in a budget item that will be valued. Thanks for your thoughts in advance.

Someone stated in a similar thread “make the prize match the task” or something like that.

I agree whole heartedly. For a quick park and grab FTF should be nothing very special.

If the cache is 2t x 2d then a better FTF prize

For a 5 x 5 perhaps a new jeep or something.

I’m working on an off set mystery cache & the FTF will get a Geocaching ball cap.

A popular FTF prize around here is Timmy Horton gift certificates.

I don't usually leave FTF prizes in my caches. I have left fully stocked smaller caches in larger ones in the past. I stopped taking FTF prizes as well so at least I keep the books balanced.

I am still new so forgive me if this has been asked 10,001 times. I would like to know what others think would be a good prize for the FTF of caches I place. Please understand that I am not related in any way to the Gates, Getty, Rockefeller or Onasis families and therefore am interested in a budget item that will be valued. Thanks for your thoughts in advance.

We are new as well, but in our two regular sized caches we put a FTF certificate and a Starbucks gift card and a bit of cash for the cache (2 dollars the first one and 5 the second one). I made up my own certificate but you can get one at http://www.geocacher-u.com/ also. People really seem to like the certificate; it's kind of a collectible thing that will remind them of all their FTF's.

Edited by burgessfour

My Favorite FTF prize was on a Letterbox many years ago....it was a well made...handmade Certificate that said I was First to Find....they used neat lettering and it looked so neat. I still have it around here somewhere.

I have found giftcards and geocoins as FTF prizes but still I remember that handmade certificate that they took alot of time to handcraft with art and markers in intricate detail.

First realize that FTF prizes are not necessary, expected or particularly common. I've never encountered one and out of 230+ hides I've probably put one in maybe a dozen caches. Some things I've used: unactivated travel bugs, binoculars, Petzel head lamp, a pair of LL Bean hiking pants (for the FTF with a 32 inch waist and 30 inch inseam), a small day pack, Platypus hydration bladders and Geocaching.com hats.

There's no FTF prize quite like a spanking new log to sign.

Seriously, the only people in my area (with a few exeptions) that put in FTF prizes are new hiders. The only exceptions that I can think of are caches that are far from populated areas. In those caches, generally some money to help pay for the trip.

Seriously, the only people in my area (with a few exeptions) that put in FTF prizes are new hiders. The only exceptions that I can think of are caches that are far from populated areas. In those caches, generally some money to help pay for the trip.

In Idaho, almost everything is far from a populated area :) The ones I would like to have a prize for, will be a 4 if not 5 on terrain. Thanks for the reply :)

I always include a FTF certificate with a note added that the certificate is good for a drink on me. A coin, scratch lotto ticket, and other goodies are usually included as well just to sweeten the deal. Its not common in the area, but I know my caching friends appreciate it. :)

I have left coupons for free Coke 12 pack in my first cache.

I am going to do the same in my 2nd cache.

We do the "coke rewards" and get the points from Coke caps.

Only 100 points to get a coupon in the mail, no cost to me,

refreshing reward for the finder!!

Also leave a FTF certificate.

I've been FTF at about 50 caches and have only found a prize in about 10 of them. I have only left some kind of labeled FTF prize in 15 or so of my hides. Such things are certainly not very common or expected around here.

When I have left something, I keep it simple - just some item that is slightly more valuable then other things in the cache. I always identify it as the FTF prize as well.

I use to put FTF prizes in my caches just to say "Thank you" to the few cachers that we had up here. Now that the number of cachers here has grown, and the same small group always goes for the FTF, I don't see the need any more. Plus putting their name on the cache page as the FTF seems to be a big reward to them.

I have to agree with that 100%. In a lot of areas being the FTF is the prize.

I am toying with the idea of instead of putting a FTF prize in my future caches I'll wait until I do my first maintenance on the cache before putting a "prize" in the cache.

When I started placing caches I put a Red Ribbon for 1st prize. It wasnt much but then I had spent about $20 on each of the caches contents, including a couple of nice swag pieces such as a crystal table/desk piece with a seashell etched into it or a seahorse, or sailboat. Something relating to the island on which the cache was located. Every cache I put out is very well stocked to start with several nice pieces so I figure that is a good choice for the FTF cacher. (I also go back monthly, sometimes more, to check every cache (now 35) & replenish the swag so I dont put anything else 'SPECIAL' for FTF.