The next generation of cachers and cache sizes

Do you think that the future generations of cachers, i.e. Kids that were introduced to caching by their families, will be less likely to hide micros when they become old enough to start caching on their own because they don't care for micros? I think this factor might lead to a turn back toward traditional sized caches.

Do you think that the future generations of cachers, i.e. Kids that were introduced to caching by their families, will be less likely to hide micros when they become old enough to start caching on their own because they don't care for micros? I think this factor might lead to a turn back toward traditional sized caches.

Did you ever stop to think that they might like micros?

Jim

Jim

Not my kids......or any of the 40 or so I've taken out caching over the years.

I doubt it. They'll probably evolve past the interest of finding caches just to see what toys they can get into an interest of finding caches because it's a neat thing to do.

Hopefully they'll also develop a sense of appreciation for all caches, and the intelligence to realize they can easily avoid the ones they don't care for.

If not, they'll be here in the forums bashing micros to no avail.

We can hope.

I stopped at a rest area with a cache in it. 5 acres of trees, and the cache is a micro in a sign next to the parking lot! Sheesh!!! I walked away.

We had one sort of like that saved our lives!

We were in Louisiana near the Texas border. We had just started toward Texas, and as we crossed the state line there was a rest area/welcome center with a cache. (The cache was aneasy micro at the extreme beginning of the rest area, maybe a mere 50 yards from the last parking space away from the building). We opted to stop for the cache (and get a local map and check out the "cool things to do in Texas" pamplets). It slowed us down by only 15 minutes.

While we were taking care of getting the cache and the maps, a largish storm with a decent size tornado, a lot of lightning, and enough rain to cause flooding to one local town roared through exactly where we would have been in if we hadn't stopped for the cache.

All I can say is it's a good thing I like micros!

I do not like to hunt for micros but my oldest daughter does. She is a real girly girl and does not like to get down and dirty. She likes driving up with me, jumping out of the car and looking for them. I personally do not like them. I just hid my first 2 caches and have hid them along the river to gt us outside, not micros. Some people just love micros.

Edited by ao318

Jim

My kids dislike them. If there is no treasure to be found, they are not interested. If there is no adventure to find it, they are not interested. They are 8 and 5 years old.

Why do you think they would be less likely to like micros? I'm not sure I understand your reasoning...

Why do you think they would be less likely to like micros? I'm not sure I understand your reasoning...

See the post above yours. My 8 yr. old loathes micros, even if they're hidden in great locations (which I myself enjoy, of course) . He wants swag!! But are such chilndren likely to grow up, become active geocachers, and create a backlash against film canisters in parking lots? I'd highly doubt it.

I'm trying to teach our 5 year old to appreciate all types I guess. Granted, in her eyes nothing will compare to a nice ammo box full of nice new swag to swap out, but she still enjoys the search. I do make a point to include about a 50/50 mix of small vs larger cache sizes to maintain her interest and excitement.

Should we expect change? Of course... but it could also mean more creative and harder to find caches as well, kids these days seem to have a powerful mind and come up with things that amaze me. I'm hoping to work with her on a cool cache using a preform in the next few weeks, should be fun!

Well... we have lots of kids of all ages around here. :)

The little ones.... younger than 10...love the ammo cans and the clever camo...but they MUST have something in them to trade.

The teenagers want the very clever micros that are unique and tough to find (not lousy regulars in bushes).

The grownup kids like the ones we have to drive the jeeps to. We make a big line of 4x4's and follow a route out in the desert for a weekend. We like a variety of sizes and shapes.

So... in conclusion... the little ones would like the regular sized caches, BUT they don't hide caches...SO I don't think you will see MORE regulars....Ratio-wise.

I think that the cachers who like micros will hide them and the cachers that don't like them will not hide them.

I think that the OP is following the train of thought that kids teat he is familiar with tend to like larger caches over micros. He is combining this fact with the fact that people tend to hide caches that they would enjoy finding and arriving at the conclusion that when these children get older, they will hide 'regular' sized caches.

The problem with this conclusion is that people change over time. Many children who prefer larger caches may feel this way because they like the tradeables. As these children mature, they may come to believe that the loot is not an important part of the game and come to embrace micros.

Edited by sbell111

My 7 and 9 year olds want to trade. If it's not big enough for swag they could care less.

My 11 old however, loves to cache. She does care about the size. She wants a good hunt and a good location. She likes the imaginative micros and wants to hide one. And yes she has her own account. She also wants to hide some regulars and larges off in the woods. She knows that what makes good cache is more than just the size of the container. I hope that's what the next generation learns and does.

Edited by Totem Clan

The problem with this conclusion is that people change over time. Many children who prefer larger caches may feel this way because they like the tradeables. As these children mature, they may come to believe that the loot is not an important part of the game and come to embrace micros.

Like the gang of middle-school aged friends who blanketed their village with film canisters in parking lots and street corners in my area? I'd say this was mainly economic in nature, 13 yr. olds don't have the disposable income for ammo boxes and swag. This was 2005, so all but one of the kids and most of the caches are gone.

Like the gang of middle-school aged friends who blanketed their village with film canisters in parking lots and street corners in my area? I'd say this was mainly economic in nature, 13 yr. olds don't have the disposable income for ammo boxes and swag. This was 2005, so all but one of the kids and most of the caches are gone.

I'll assume that you either A.) didn't read the post just before yours or B.) just want to be snarky.

My daughter began geocaching when she was 8 years old. She got tired of trading happy meal toys after about 100 caches. Now that she's 14 with more than 1000 cache finds to her credit, it's all about the hunt and the hiding style for her. If it is a quality cache location or an evil container or a perfect hiding place, she is happy with the cache regardless of its size. She is not shy about telling me when a cache stinks. That's true regardless of whether it's a magnetic keyholder on a guardrail or a leaky gladware 50 feet from the parking lot for a forest with a huge trail network.

Now she wants to hide more of her own caches, and I'll be happy to chauffer her around for that, just as I do for dance classes, school and sleepover parties. I have a feeling that she will want to hide some micros. I also suspect that they will be very good ones.

Watch out for when this geocacher gets her driver's license.

I'll assume that you either A.) didn't read the post just before yours or B.) just want to be snarky.

Not snarky at all. You must be gun shy from people being snarky. :) I was just saying that I was aware of some kids (who I'm sure liked trading caches), who hid a bunch of film canisters and keyholders, probably becuase of financial considerations. They did hide some regulars too.

Actually yes, I do. Locally there was a huge shift away from micros. Everybody hid them, everbody hated finding them everbody started hiding what they would rather find. Within a year Micro's were rarely placed. Same locations, bigger containers.

Edit:

When I bring my family caching they make me swear I'm not taking them to a bunch of urban micro's.

Edited by Renegade Knight

Actually yes, I do. Locally there was a huge shift away from micros. Everybody hid them, everbody hated finding them everbody started hiding what they would rather find. Within a year Micro's were rarely placed. Same locations, bigger containers.

Edit:

When I bring my family caching they make me swear I'm not taking them to a bunch of urban micro's.

:):mad::P:P Your post made me realize something. There has not been one LPC placed within 50 miles of here within the last year plus. If fact all the micros hiden in that area are either part of one of the very well done puzzles or are well placed urban micro in high muggle areas where a regular cache container would not work. (Excluding the cache that was just published less than hour ago because it is a micro, but I have not found it yet; and therefore can't speak for it.) Wow! I'll have to thank everyone at the next event. :)

We can hope.

I stopped at a rest area with a cache in it. 5 acres of trees, and the cache is a micro in a sign next to the parking lot! Sheesh!!! I walked away.

yeah, but in that case I don't think it's about geocaching at all. I'm guessing you're the type of person who would always take the opportunity to walk around and explore a little. The person who hid that micro NEVER ventures away from the restrooms and vending machines.

It's the same principle in the debate about urban micros "taking over" the game. Geocaching started with people who like to get out in the woods. Then people who spend most of their time in shopping malls and fast food places discovered that it's fun to hide and find stuff. They are NOT going to hike even a quarter mile in the woods for a geocache, just as I am NOT going to go to a mall just to find a geocache. It's two distinctly different types of people playing a game with similar fundamentals. And they will have virtually NO influence on each other in the future.

We occasionally cache with a group of kids and one of the kids gets mad if we don't only look for larger caches. Since we've been caching a while, this creates a bit of a problem, because we started out looking for the larger ones and we've pretty much found them all without having to drive longer distances (and frayed nerves). However, when MY son caches with just me - he PREFERS micros, for the challenge and he's just darn good at finding them. And there are just some times when we don't feel like doing a lot of bushwacking or hiking... I think there's a place for all sizes.

Do you think that the future generations of cachers will be less likely to hide micros when they become old enough to start caching on their own because they don't care for micros?

Interesting question...

Honestly, I'd have to say, I have no idea. I don't have a reliable reference to hazard a guess. I started playing this game as an adult, and didn't get tired of swagless P&G's in uninspired locations for several days. I do know that some people's likes/dislikes change over time. Someone who was hyped about swag as a kid might be a couch junkie by the time they turn 18, too lazy to do anything more than spit out a film canister into shrubbery as they drive by, typing up a 15 word cache page, or they might maintain their love of swag and stick to larger caches. Or, they may discover the opposite gender, (or the same gender in some cases), and give up caching all together, as my 17 year old daughter did. Will she come back to caching after she gets over being boy crazy? Who knows. :)

Nope. Today's kids will grow up to be just as diverse as the adult cachers of today. Some will judge themselves by artificial measures and thusly want to contribute in that way, i.e. cheap hides to contribute to the "smilie pool." Others will have a heightened sense of adventure and probably create even more elaborate back stories, more creative puzzles and riddles, and simply better adventures than what we see today.

The trick is listing sites that evolved enough to differentiate the two.

Edit:

:):D:D:) Your post made me realize something. There has not been one LPC placed within 50 miles of here within the last year plus. If fact all the micros hiden in that area are either part of one of the very well done puzzles or are well placed urban micro in high muggle areas where a regular cache container would not work. (Excluding the cache that was just published less than hour ago because it is a micro, but I have not found it yet; and therefore can't speak for it.) Wow! I'll have to thank everyone at the next event. :D

I agree as well. I have seen the growth of LPCs slow down a but too. I think there are a few reasons. Kids do not like those kinds of caches and as they grow up they are not hiding them. Many adults who have been caching for while have become bored with them and so they aren't hiding them. Finally, they have a bad reputation. Unfortunatley micros get a black eye because of them and yet many micros are very clever and fun to find.

My daughter would rather not search for micros but we have been suprised by the cleverness of the hides on some of the micros we have found.

I sometimes like the rush of trying to grab a micro with thirty tourists standing around at the rest stop.

But to be honest I will just be happy if my daughter will continue to hunt caches as she becomes an adult.

I actually got out of caching for awhile because of the micro madness. I am back and I am finding them just because I missed geocaching and have resigned myself to find them at least in my local area 10 to 15mile radius of my house

Did you know that for a measly $30 a year, or $3 a month, you can use Pocket Queries to download the cache information for the area you want to cache in, and you can select to have it not give you ANY micros? That way you can go caching and be happy without ever having to find the ones you don't like.

:blink: