Tell something about the Netherlands cointest

Geo.Error

Queen's Day..............Koninginnendag 30 April

Queen's Day (Dutch: Koninginnedag) is a celebration in the Netherlands, the Netherlands Antilles, and Aruba on April 30 (or April 29th if the 30th is a Sunday[1]). Originally a celebration of the queen's birthday, it is now mainly known for the 'vrijmarkt' (literally 'freemarket'), the one day in the year that anyone is allowed to sell anything in the streets and 'koninginnenacht' (Queen's Night) on the preceding night. It is also a Dutch holiday.

It started as a celebration of the birthday of Queen Wilhelmina (1880-1962), on August 31. After 1948 Koninginnedag moved to April 30 (the birthday of Queen Juliana). When Queen Beatrix succeeded Juliana on jan 30, 1980, she decided to keep the holiday on April 30th as a tribute to her mother. Furthermore, the weather on her own birthday (January 31st) tends to prohibit the traditional outdoor festivities. April 30th, however, is renowned for having very pleasant weather.

During the reign of Queen Juliana, and the Queen would welcome people who came to the Soestdijk Palace. The Queen and her family would stand on a dais, and a long line of citizens would walk past, congratulating her and presenting her gifts. These days, Queen Beatrix visits one or two towns where she is shown traditional Dutch dances and demonstrations of old crafts.

This is a typical occasion for oranjegekte (orange craze), when the colour orange is a ubiquitous sight, referring to the name of the Dutch royal family, the House of Orange. There are orange banners, orange colored foods and drinks, and extreme amounts of orange clothing and creative accessories are worn as well. Sometimes even the water in fountains is dyed orange. It is not uncommon for people to impersonate the queen, not always in a flattering manner.

Koninginnedag-3m-egr.jpg

Rules cointest

* Tell something about the Netherlands

*Cointest ends 1 may 19.00 dutch time.

* You may post so much as you like.

* Please have respect for everybody.

* Maybe you know some good jokes about the Dutch people, we love pictures, faq's real story's etc.

* You can win 1 Nerdv2.[orange natural]

* I'm going to choose who won, who i loved the Best, if i can not choose then wil it be random.

32e83652-c7f6-48a5-89a2-fa17c0a10a89.jpg

Windmills have their own special language!

Windmills are tall enough to be seen from a long distance away, so the position of the blades (when not milling) can be used to send messages. The position of the sails has a special meaning for people living nearby. It can signal when a baby is born, a death in a local family, there is going to be a wedding, or if the miller is taking a short or a long break. The miller may also attach little flags and other decorations to the sails of the windmill.

I'll start...thought I'd start us out with something about "gift giving" in the Netherlands

By tradition, gift-giving in The Netherlands is associated with Saint Nicholas’s Day (6 December). Saint Nicholas is Santa Claus (Sinterklaas) for the Dutch. He is dressed in red robes like a Catholic bishop, rides a white horse, and leaves gifts in shoes (in or by which children place a carrot and a drink for the horse). Sinterklaas also rides in parades and his helper throws small pieces of gingerbread candy (pepernoten) to the children. Gifts said to come from Sinterklaas are exchanged on the evening before Saint Nicholas's Day. Gifts are wrapped elaborately to disguise the contents, and traditionally each contained an amusing poem about the recipient.

:D a cointest! Hey Geoerror!!! queens day? WOW!

Well...I know some things about the Netherlands, except of the beautiful women ( :) ).

I will start from The name!

Netherlands is because it is actually under the level of the sea!!! No other country is like that! Because of that and from the floods, they have big loss of land!

Most notable in terms of land loss is the 1134 storm, which created the archipelago of Zeeland in the south west. The St. Elizabeth flood of 1421 and the mismanagement in its aftermath destroyed a newly reclaimed polder, replacing it with the 72 square kilometres (28 sq mi) Biesbosch tidal floodplains in the south-centre. The most recent parts of Zeeland were flooded during the North Sea Flood of 1953 when 1,836 people were killed, after which the Delta Plan was executed.

People and the goverment, every year are making man made hills, barriers etc, to stop floods!

By the 13th century, windmills had come into use in order to pump water out of areas below sea level. The windmills were later used to drain lakes, creating the famous polders. These are the windmills we all know and love!!! :)

Now, the Netherlands are often called Holland! THis is not correct! Holand is just a province of the Netherland kingdom! Holland is one of the 7 provinces that united and create the Netherlands!

Netherlands currency!

guilder (Dutch: gulden), represented by the symbol ƒ or fl., was the currency of the Netherlands from the 13th century until 2002, when it was replaced by the euro. Guilder are still in use in the Netherlands Antilles, a Dutch dependency, although this currency is distinct from the Dutch guilder. In 2004, the Surinamese guilder was replaced by the Surinamese dollar.

The Dutch name gulden was a Middle Dutch adjective meaning "golden", and the name indicates the metal the coin was originally made of. The symbol ƒ or fl. for the Dutch guilder was derived from another old currency, the florijn.

In the Netherlands, both silver and gold guilder coins were issued. In 1581, the silver guilder was established as the currency of the United Netherlands by the Estates-General. It was divided into 20 stuiver, each of 8 duit or 16 penning. At various times, other coins derived from the guilder emerged. Among them were the daalder of 1½ guilders (30 stuiver), the rijksdaalder (silver ducat) of 2½ guilders (50 stuiver) and the ducaton (silver rider) of 3 guilders (60 stuiver). The name daalder was derived from the German thaler.

Stuiver is a name it was used even later in the cent system by people! They used to call stuiver the 5 cent piece!

Now the Netherlands use euros!

Let's play some football now in the Dutch leage! :)

Ajax, was actually named from the ancient Greek heros Aias, in Trojan war..! There is a team in Greece called Aiantas Salaminas that actually became brother team with Ajax!

due to the fact that Sparta Rotterdam (a respected and successful football club in those days) already wore the jersey with the vertical red and white stripes, Ajax was prompted to alter its own design with the famous red-and-white combination that they have donned as their home outfit until this day.

their national team is a very good team, and many great footballers are from the netherlands!!! I am sure you all know them!!!

The national team has the nickname: Oranje! (orange)

The colors the national team uses are not the ones in their flag, but they use Orange color!!!!!

Orange is the historic national colour of the Netherlands, originating from the coat of arms of the Dutch founding father William of Orange-Nassau.

I think the first strip of the Netherland flag was originally orange! I do not know why it was changed!

Probably to remind the colors of the french flag!

How about this:

"Although no longer as important as it was in the 16th and 17th centuries, fishing still contributes substantially to the food supply. Annual fish consumption in the Netherlands is 14.6 kg (32.2 lb) per person. In early 1996 there were 498 vessels in the Dutch fishing fleet, with a combined 153,694 GRT. About half of the fish catch is landed at the ports of Scheveningen and Ijmuiden. The Dutch fishing industry faces declining fish stocks and quota cuts from the EU that make profitability difficult because of excess capacity. In 2000, Dutch imports of fish products totaled $1,161 million and exports exceeded $1,344 million.

The total catch in 2000 was 495,804 tons, consisting primarily of mackerel, mussels, sardines, herring, plaice, and whiting. Shrimp, oysters, sole, and other saltwater fish were also caught."

Well, I can not say I would like to live there with you Geo.Error, your fishing does not look all that fun. I saw you have walleye and catfish, do you have any other types of fish like we have here? And most importatly, do you get to go Ice fishing? If not, that is too bad. And maybe a short visit would be nice!

Thanks for the cointest. It is always fun to read what people find. And to get to know someone a little better!

a cointest about my home land that`s great :)

een cointest over mijn thuisland dat is super

what nice to read all the story`s about the Netherlands

wat leuk om alle verhalen te lezen over nederland

i wish GEO.ERROR lot of fun white her cointest

i wens GEO.ERROR veel plezier met haar muntentest

i`m not play for the coin because geo.error is to close for me

Edited by lorca.nl

Matt Lauer from the Today (TV) show is in the Netherlands this morning. It's really neat to see all that the Netherlands has to offer! What a beautiful country. Netherlands meas low lands. It's lowest point is 22 feet below sea level.

Netherlands produce 60% of the worlds commercially grown flowers! It has the worlds largest flower auction -- the size of 200 football fields. I just love flowers and Tulips are one of my favorites!

...Anthus

Hmm. Things about the Netherlands.

I travelled there in 2005 with my wife and our newborn son to visit her family. We spent a week in Rotterdam, a week in Zwolle, 3 days in Amsterdam on our own (not nearly enough time), and a week in Zuidwolde.

Here are some things that I learned:

I love eating chocolate sprinkles on my bread for breakfast!

I love beer that is cheaper than pop at the grocery store!

I love being able to cycle for kilometers without having to worry about going uphill!

Now for some facts:

Drenthe is home to 52 huge structures called Hunebedden. There are two others in neighbouring Groningen. They were built about 5000 years ago of stones weighing up to 25 tonnes. The stones themselves came from Scandanavia, deposited by retreating glaciers during the last Ice Age. Archaeologists have speculated that they may have been defensive structures, granaries, or (most likely) burial mounds.

There is a Hunebed Centre in Borger, Drenthe that has an impressive museum and stands next to the largest Hunebed in Holland.

Another fact:

Every year, the city of Ottawa, Canada has a Tulip Festival which runs from May 1 to May 19. What does this have to do with the Netherlands?

During World War II, Princess Julianna, the heir to the Dutch throne, and her family were given asylum in Ottawa by the Canadian Government. They were given Government House (the official residence of the Governor General of Canada) to live in. While she was their, Princess Julianna gave birth to her third daughter, Princess Margriet. The maternity ward of Ottawa Civic Hospital was temporarily declared to be a 'possession' of the the Netherlands in order that the birth could be claimed to have occurred on Dutch territory.

After the royal family returned to the Netherlands in 1945, Princess Julianna presented the Canadian government and the people of Ottawa 100,000 tulip bulbs to show her deep appreciation. The tradition has continued with a gift of 10,000 bulbs being sent every year. The Dutch Bulb Growers Association sends another 10,000 bulbs each year. To date, more than 5 million tulip bulbs have been gifted.

Netherlan's Queen day, started as a celebration of the birthday of Queen Wilhelmina (1880-1962), on August 31. After 1948 Koninginnedag moved to April 30 (the birthday of Queen Juliana). When Queen Beatrix succeeded Juliana on jan 30, 1980, she decided to keep the holiday on April 30th as a tribute to her mother. Furthermore, the weather on her own birthday (January 31st) tends to prohibit the traditional outdoor festivities. April 30th, however, is renowned for having very pleasant weather.

oh dear,

all of you know a littlebit about the Netherland that`s so great..... :D

maybe all of you can teach me a little about my home land :lol:

oh dardevil..we can do ice fishing when the winter is very hard then you have 10 cm ice on the lake`s,

i know it`s not what you prever but hè it`s ice :):)

Netherlan's Queen day, started as a celebration of the birthday of Queen Wilhelmina (1880-1962), on August 31. After 1948 Koninginnedag moved to April 30 (the birthday of Queen Juliana). When Queen Beatrix succeeded Juliana on jan 30, 1980, she decided to keep the holiday on April 30th as a tribute to her mother. Furthermore, the weather on her own birthday (January 31st) tends to prohibit the traditional outdoor festivities. April 30th, however, is renowned for having very pleasant weather.

Oups! double post! sorry!!!

Another fact:

Every year, the city of Ottawa, Canada has a Tulip Festival which runs from May 1 to May 19. What does this have to do with the Netherlands?

During World War II, Princess Julianna, the heir to the Dutch throne, and her family were given asylum in Ottawa by the Canadian Government. They were given Government House (the official residence of the Governor General of Canada) to live in. While she was their, Princess Julianna gave birth to her third daughter, Princess Margriet. The maternity ward of Ottawa Civic Hospital was temporarily declared to be a 'possession' of the the Netherlands in order that the birth could be claimed to have occurred on Dutch territory.

After the royal family returned to the Netherlands in 1945, Princess Julianna presented the Canadian government and the people of Ottawa 100,000 tulip bulbs to show her deep appreciation. The tradition has continued with a gift of 10,000 bulbs being sent every year. The Dutch Bulb Growers Association sends another 10,000 bulbs each year. To date, more than 5 million tulip bulbs have been gifted.

That is really neat trivia!

Something about the kings and queens in the Netherlands!

The first king of the Netherlands, from 1806 until 1810, was French. Napoleon I installed his brother Louis Bonaparte as king over what was then called the Kingdom of Holland, a puppet state.

The present royal house is the house of Orange - Nassau!

They rule from 1813 until today! these are consider to be the first kings of the Netherlands!

In this royal house, we have 3 kings and 3 queens so far!!!

I am not counting queen Emma, mother of Wilhelmina! She ruled until wilhelmina be 18 years old! (when William II died, wilhelmina was only 10 years old!)

Netherlands has queen in the throne from 1890 until now! They love their queen and actually they do not want to see a man in the throne now! Am I correct???? :)

they are happy because Willem - Alexander (Beatrix son and suscesor of the throne [he was born in 1967 I think]), has 3 daughters, and hoping that they will keep having a queen after Beatrix!!! Who??? Princess Catharina-Amalia Beatrix Carmen Victoria of the Netherlands!

People know her as Catharina, but the roual house prefers to call her Amalia!!! She was born in 2003!!!

Let's see.... :)

Vincent Willem van Gogh (30 March 1853 – 29 July 1890) was a Dutch Post-Impressionist artist.

His paintings and drawings include some of the world's best known, most popular and most expensive pieces.

Van Gogh spent his early adult life working for a firm of art dealers. After a brief spell as a teacher, he became a missionary worker in a very poor mining region. He did not embark upon a career as an artist until 1880. Initially, van Gogh worked only with sombre colours, until he encountered Impressionism and Neo-Impressionism in Paris. He incorporated their brighter colours and style of painting into a uniquely recognizable style, which was fully developed during the time he spent at Arles, France. He produced more than 2,000 works, including around 900 paintings and 1,100 drawings and sketches, during the last ten years of his life. Most of his best-known works were produced in the final two years of his life, during which time he cut off part of his left ear following a breakdown in his friendship with Paul Gauguin. After this he suffered recurrent bouts of mental illness, which led to his suicide.

this pic is NOT from Vincent van Gogh.... :)

notgogh.jpg

The first king of the Netherlands, from 1806 until 1810, was French. Napoleon I installed his brother Louis Bonaparte as king over what was then called the Kingdom of Holland, a puppet state.

They rule from 1813 until today! these are consider to be the first kings of the Netherlands!

I am not counting queen Emma, mother of Wilhelmina! She ruled until wilhelmina be 18 years old! (when William II died, wilhelmina was only 10 years old!)

Netherlands has queen in the throne from 1890 until now! They love their queen and actually they do not want to see a man in the throne now! Am I correct???? :)

they are happy because Willem - Alexander (Beatrix son and suscesor of the throne [he was born in 1967 I think]), has 3 daughters, and hoping that they will keep having a queen after Beatrix!!! Who??? Princess Catharina-Amalia Beatrix Carmen Victoria of the Netherlands!

People know her as Catharina, but the roual house prefers to call her Amalia!!! She was born in 2003!!!

he gatoulis,

we like willem as a king why not???

maybe he will be king this year we see

and we call Catharina just Amalia and never Catharina

he gatoulis,

we like willem as a king why not???

maybe he will be king this year we see

and we call Catharina just Amalia and never Catharina

Well...this is what I found by searching in Google! that people want a queeen after Beatrix, and that people call amalia as Catharina! I am sure you know better as you are from the Netherlands! :D I trust you! :lol:

Willhelm alexander may be king this year? Beatrix is not feeling well???

Well, I do not know about willem! I saw him in a photo and he seems a nice guy! He is still young! So...

We may see a Willem IV or just Willem Alexander in your next coins! :lol:

We may see....just becasue we use euros!!! :lol:

Netherlands is the homeland of the classic motorcycle track in Assen.

TT Circuit Assen

Location Assen, the Netherlands

Time zone GMT +1

Major Events SBK, MotoGP, Champ Car

Circuit Length 4.555 km (2.830 mi)

Turns 11 right, 6 left

Lap Record 1:18.756 (Sébastien Bourdais, Newman/Haas/Lanigan, 2007)

The TT Circuit Assen is a motorsport race track built in 1955 and located in Assen, Netherlands. Host of the Dutch TT race, it is considered "The Cathedral" of motorcycling by the fans. It has a capacity of 100,000 spectators, including 60,000 seats. Lately it has become a venue for concerts as heavy metal legends Iron Maiden announced that they would perform at the circuit making them the first band to hold a concert at the venue.

Beginning

The original Assen track was first used for the 1925 Dutch TT race, held on country roads through the villages of Borger, Schoonloo and Grolloo, and organized by the Motorclub Assen en Omstreken. The brick-paved track had a length of 17.75 miles (28.57 km). The winner was Piet van Wijngaarden on a 500 cc Norton with an average speed of 91.4 kilometers per hour (56.8 mph).

The years afterwards the Dutch TT was held on a road circuit through de Haar, Barteldbocht (near Assen), Oude Tol, Hooghalen, Laaghalen and Laaghalerveen.

In 1951 the Italian Umberto Masetti took the record on a 500 cc Gilera with an average speed of 100.88 miles per hour (162.35 km/h). In 1954, Geoff Duke of Great Britain reached 106.06 miles per hour (170.69 km/h). The circuit remained unchanged until 1955, when a whole new circuit was built close to the site of the original, but less than a third of the length — and much more like a modern road racing circuit.

The circuit was fundamentally redesigned again in 2006 — the so called A-Style Assen TT Circuit. All alterations aside, only one section of the circuit is original; the finish line never moved.

Current racetrack

The current Assen race track was built in 1955, and initially had a length of 7,705 meters (4.788 mi). The current track has a length of 4,555 meters (2.830 mi). The longest straight is 560 meters (0.348 mi). The curves in Assen were traditionally banked and the surface is extremely grippy, so the riders were able to drive much faster on the course than other circuits. Today these sloped or curved bends have been modified due to safety issues.

Innovation

On July 6, 2004 the organization announced plans for an amusements park on the northwards of the track. In 2006 the northern loop was removed and the length was shortened to 4,555 meters. The new centre is scheduled to be visited by 300,000 people. The total investment is c. € 85 million.

Trivia

* The TT Circuit is the only circuit on the world championship calendar that was already on the calendar when the series started in 1949.

* The Dutch TT is always held on last Saturday of June.

* It is the only roadracing circuit in the series specifically designed for motorcycle racing. However, Champ Car made its Dutch debut in 2007 at Assen.

* The track layout makes it a very technical, twisty circuit with little room for error, although track alterations carried out over the years paradoxically make it a 'safe' circuit. Further alterations were carried out in 2007 for Champ Car.

* The curves are banked and the surface is extremely grippy, even in wet conditions.

* Iron Maiden are going to be the first band to play a concert there, as part of their Somewhere Back In Time World Tour 2008 on 16th August.

Another fact:

My wife's grandmother (or 'Oma') was a member of the Dutch Resistance. She helped to hide many Jews and draft-age Dutch men from the Nazis during the occupation.

"The Diary of a Young Girl" is probably one of the best known diaries in the World. It was written by Anne Frank while she was in hiding for two years with her family during the occupation. The family was discovered in 1944 and Anne ultimately died in the Bergen-Belsen camp. After the war, the diary was retrieved by Anne's father, the only surviving member of the family.

The book has sold more than 25 million copies and has been translated into more than 50 languages. It inspired the play "The Diary of Anne Frank" which was later adapted for the screen.

We visited the Anne Frank Museum in Amsterdam while we were on vacation there. While I am glad we went, I can't honestly say that I enjoyed it. It was a sobering experience to say the least. There must have been 200 people in the museum that day -- which is not spacious, as it is housed in the actual building where the Frank family hid -- but you could not hear a sound. It was as if everyone thought that to speak would diminish the experience.

Netherlands windmills!!

Centuries ago the silhouettes of picturesque villages began to appear on the horizon in every direction. Their special characteristic: the windmill. In those times windmills were put to many uses. Sawing wood. Making paper and dyes. Grinding corn. And draining land to form polders. In their heyday, there were nearly 10,000 windmills in Holland, of which about 1,000 still exist. The decrease in their numbers can be mostly explained by the advent of other energy sources, making the windmill redundant. Centuries later, windmills are enjoying their revival, albeit in their modern, 20th century form. But instead of sawing wood or grinding corn, they are used as a clean source of energy. Many old windmills (they turn to the left, by the way) operate on Saturdays. If they're flying a blue pennant, it means you can visit. Several windmills even carry authentically-made traditional handicrafts for sale.

If you are lucky enough to be in Holland on the first Saturday of May, you're in for a special treat: it's National Windmill Day, and all the old windmills that are still in working order will be turning.

NE-windmills.jpg

walk3.jpg

windmills-1.jpg

windmills.jpg

I hope all of them are from the Netherlands!!! :)

Property taxes in Amsterdam used to be calculated based on the street frontage of the building. Because of this, buildings in Old Amsterdam tend to be long and narrow and several stories high. Stairways also tend to be very narrow, so as not to take up too much room inside the building. So, to get furniture up into the upper stories, there is usually a heavy beam projecting out over the street from the top of the building. A pulley would be attached to this and furniture lifted up and brought in through the windows. To make this even easier, most buildings 'lean' forward a little bit so that items being lifted don't accidentally bang against the building. It got so bad that in the 1700s, the city had to enact a law limiting the number of degrees a building could lean out over the street, lest one fall over!

number6.jpg

Tall, narrow buildings in Old Amsterdam

number7.jpg

The narrowest building in Amsterdam!

Fun facts about the Netherlands

Did you know that..........

the Netherlands has approximately 480 inhabitants per square kilometre?

with only 0.008% of the world's area, the Netherlands is the world's third largest agricultural exporter?

the Netherlands has at least 15,000 km of cycle tracks?

the Netherlands still has about 1,000 traditional working windmills?

the Dutch are the tallest people in Europe?

Amsterdam is entirely built on piles? I wonder what kind of piles they are referring to LOL

the Netherlands always has a coalition government, which makes it a country of compromises?

almost every Dutch person has a bicycle and there are twice as many bikes as cars?

the Netherlands is the world's eighth largest exporter?

people in Holland eat raw herring with onions on top? Hey I like that too but without the onions

about 30% of all Dutch babies are born at home?

the Netherlands has the highest number of part-time workers in the EU (four in ten people)?

the Netherlands' highest point is 323 metres high and is therefore called a " mountain"? Realyy that's a mountain?

one in every three Dutch people belongs to a sports club?

after Scandinavians, the Dutch are the world's biggest coffee drinkers?

the Netherlands has one of the youngest populations in the EU?

when your plane arrives at Schiphol, it lands 4.5 metres below sea level?

the Netherlands has the highest cable density in Europe?

Amsterdam has 1,281 bridges?

when Dutch schoolchildren pass their exams, they hang a Dutch flag and a school bag outside their homes?

The Pennsylvania Dutch (perhaps more strictly Pennsylvania Deitsch, Pennsylvania Germans or Pennsylvania Deutsch) are the descendants of German immigrants who came to Pennsylvania prior to 1800. According to Don Yoder, a Pennsylvania German expert and retired University of Pennsylvania professor, the word "Dutch" in this case owes its origin to an archaic meaning where the word "Dutch" designated groups that are today considered German and Dutch - - - prior to the Thirty Years' War, the Netherlands were part of the Holy Roman Empire and the Dutch were generally regarded as one of several German peoples.

The Pennsylvania Dutch are the descendants of German immigrants who came to Pennsylvania prior to 1800. According to Don Yoder, a Pennsylvania German expert and retired University of Pennsylvania professor, the word "Dutch" in this case owes its origin to an archaic meaning where the word "Dutch" designated groups that are today considered German and Dutch - - - prior to the Thirty Years' War, the Netherlands were part of the Holy Roman Empire and the Dutch were generally regarded as one of several German peoples.

Ok... I found some joke stuff for the Dutch people!

I hope y friends from the netherlands will not be offended! They are only jokes I found!!! :)

Since the list is big, my post will be huge! Sorry for that! I hope you will enjoy reading it! If not..sorry!! :)

How To Deal With Dutch People

(1) Many foreigners call everything Dutch…well…'Dutch'. Don't! The word Dutch reminds Dutch people of the word Duits which is used for Germans and other things he dislikes. A Dutch person is a Hollander or a Nederlander.

(2) As a foreigner, don't ever try to speak Dutch. Not only will you get an enormous headache but the Hollanders will not understand what you mean. Foreigners are supposed to speak English or Gibberish. In the latter case they will be an easy target for pickpockets since they will not be able to talk to the police.

(3) Don't ever try to eat 'drop'. (Dutch Licorice) Drop is a sort of candy that can only be eaten by Hollanders. It can be recognized by the colour: black. The taste is a blend between earwax and paint (black). Hollanders absolutely adore the stuff and eat many kilo's of it. There is a nationwide conspiracy to look at the faces of foreigners that were made to believe the stuff is actually edible.

(4) Don't buy wooden shoes. They will look completely ridiculous. Which is the reason they will try to sell them to you. A Hollander himself would not want to be found dead wearing them.(Preferably a Hollander doesn't want to be found dead at all).

(5) Don't make holes in the dikes. Such behaviour is commonly disapproved and in extreme cases it can get you stoned by wooden shoes. But feel free to put your finger in the dike if you feel the urge. It will at least get you a few laughs from the natives.

(6) A Hollander is always right and he knows it. With this in mind it is very easy to cope with most Hollanders. If you ever get in an argument with a Hollander, tell him he was absolutely right and that you now realize how wrong you were. Now he will go crazy: Since you're a foreigner, you can never be right. You agree with him, therefore he couldn't be right. Impossible. He's a Hollander. But…then…he…Now is the time to take a step back and observe how the Hollander will try to strangle himself with a tulip.

(7) Mills are inevitable.

(8) It is not necessary to fake interest for tulips, mills, wooden shoes or cheese. Every Hollander knows you came for the soft drugs and the Amsterdam red-light district. Both are widely spread and easy to find. Just ask any Hollander over age 6 or a French tourist. (See points 19 and 20)

(9) Avoid soccer fans at all times. Soccer in Holland is just an excuse to crush the skulls of practically everybody else, including yours. This mainly takes place when the game is lost…or tied…or won. It is extremely foolish to stand next to a cop during these festivities (see point 10) Also remember never to mention the 1974 cup finals near a Hollander. He will instantly pull you into a long-lasting litany about how good 'Orange' played then and how good…blablablabla…

(10)Cops in Holland are mainly used to throw stuff at. If you get the uncontrollable desire to hit someone, take on a cop. No Hollander will pay any attention if you hit a cop, put a knife in his cranium or firmly kick him in the butt. Cops represent authority and not one Hollander recognizes a higher authority then himself. You will notice the fact that most cops are actually foreigners that were lured into this job.

(11)Hollanders do not like spending money. They would rather cut of an ear. A Hollander will be your friend for life if you give him something for free. This might explain the great success of McDonalds in Holland. The story that copper wire is an invention of two Hollanders fighting over a found cent is absolutely true.

(12)Holland is small. It is sometimes rumoured that Holland is so small they take it inside when it's raining. This is not true because it rains 365 days a year. This also explains the wooden shoes: they float. Yes…Holland is small and Hollanders are very proud of it. They will use any opportunity to say that Holland accomplished such great things for such a small country. A fitting answer would be to refer to it's colonial past. Which brings us to point 13.

(13)If you want to insult a Hollander - and sooner or later you will want to - tell him you don't think he's a pacifist. Now start running for your life. He will not stop trying to prove he's the most peace-loving person in the world until your intestines are on the street. As mentioned earlier, mentioning the so-called colonial past in Suriname or Indonesia, will instantly reduce the Hollander to a sniffling child, begging for forgiveness.

(14)Hollanders are supposed to be tolerant. Nonsense. They just make too much money selling drugs and Malaysian women, to miss the opportunity to make so much profit.

(15)The most important way of public transportation in Holland is the bicycle. Feel free to take any bike of which you can pick the lock. Just don't expect your own bike to be in the same spot where you parked it 3 minutes earlier. Hunting season for bikes is open 365 days a year. Good luck!

(16)At almost every bread meal in Holland you will find a mean looking big knife with a sharp slide in it. It is called a 'kaasschaaf' and is used to cut very thin slices of cheese (Yes, it's a Dutch invention). Never cut cheese with a regular knife, you will make yourself completely ridiculous. Another typical eating tool is the so-called bottlescraper. Beware, don't use it for that annoying itch on your back. It's designed to scrape the last bits of yoghurt or mayonnaise out of the bottle. A Hollander will use every millimeter of the product he bought. He paid for it, he'll eat it, no matter what.

(17)At the time this was written, the Dutch economy was doing pretty good. Hollanders maintain the idea that this is the result of intensive negotiations between different parties like unions, employers and politicians. They even have a name for it: the poldermodel. One likes to convince foreigners this poldermodel is the key to a successful economy and if those same foreigners would be smart enough to follow their example, their economy would be flourishing as well. This is a load of crap. Hollanders just like to talk, talk, talk. By calling all this chattering negotiating they give themselves the impression they're doing something useful. Talk is never cheap in Holland.

(18)Hollanders drown fried patato-sticks (Chips) in litres of mayonnaise and put it in a pointed paper bag. This is called : Een patatje met. One such bag is able to keep you alive for an unlimited period of time. It is only uncertain if this is a life worth living. But there have been sightings of tourists actually enjoying a patatje met.

(19)Holland has a unique service for -mainly- France tourist. At the moment they pass the border, they are enthusiastically welcomed by youngsters in fast cars. These youngsters have the explicit wish to show these tourists the way to the many interesting tourist-attractions Holland has to offer. Strangly, they always end up in a coffee-shop or drug house though. (see point 20) Weird people, the French.

(20)There is a fast and foolproof way of embarrassing yourself in Holland.Enter a coffeeshop and ask for a cappuccino with a biscuit. Coffeeshops -remember this- do not sell coffee. They do however have a large variety of stimulating products at reasonable prices. For unknown reasons, coffeeshops are very popular amongst young French tourists.

(21)A 'Fries' is a sort of spare-Hollander that lives in the north in a province all for themselves. They love frozen water, Beerenburg (a form of euthanasia with alcohol) and endlessly pointing out that other Hollanders are not Fries. The rest of Holland looks at this behaviour the same way parents will look at an obstinate child.

(22)When it comes to what books to bring to Holland, I would advise the following:The complete works of William Shakespeare or a leather-bound part of the Encyclopaedia Brittanica (part Fr to He of the 1913 edition). Both books have about the proper weight to keep a pushy pimp or dealer away from you with a well aimed swing. After this I would advice you to drop the book since this greatly improves your speed during your getaway. Make sure you bring enough books.

(23)Don't bother renting a car. Not only will you be able to steal more bikes then you can use but car traffic in Holland is not something to enjoy. Where the rest of the world uses kilometres to express the lengths of traffic jams, in Holland these are measured in weeks. To be honest, the most steadfast ones are worth a visit. The sight of starving people in an expensive Mercedes can greatly improve your mood if your somewhat philosophical. Bring some pieces of bread to throw through the open windows. The fights over them are often very spectacular.

(24)In contradiction of many rumours, it is not legal to bring your mother in law to Holland for do-it-yourself euthanasia. Tourists are warned not to take matters into their own hands.

(25)Whether you're catholic, Muslim or worshipper of Urrrgl the god of all Honest politicians, in Holland it will be easy to find a church, temple or oak tree of your liking. Hollanders are supposed to be very tolerant to other religions and believes. This is not true. The only reason Holland has so much churches, sects or cults is the fact they have a difference in opinion about everything. A Hollander is always right (see point 6) and everyone that does not agree can beat it and start his own church.

(26)Holland is a kingdom.It just doesn't have a king but a queen and her husband is not king but a prince. The queen does not rule -much- but she's very capable in cutting ribbons and visiting other countries. She is also very decorative at state banquettes. Her son, the crown prince, will take over if she stops queening. His wife in turn will be queen so that Holland will finally have a king and queen again.April 30 is queensday but it is not the birthday of the queen but princes Juliana's, who used to be queen. With things like this it's only logical that more and more people want Holland to be a republic. Queensday, by the way, is just an excuse to drink lots of beer and sell all their old junk on the streets.

(27)It would be wise to learn how to swim before you come to Holland.No, the dikes will hold, that's not the problem, but the large amount of lakes, streams, rivers canals and creaks could lead to painful mistakes. That shiny new strip of asphalt you're turning on to with your car during rain might not be an asphalt road at all.

(28)Dutch painting.Dutch painters get famous after they die. This is a very sensible rule from the buyers point of view. Not only will the artist have to make a lot of paintings to earn a living, it also produces some very nice investments. The painters however do not share this opinion and in at least one case this lead to selfmutalation of an ear.

(29)If one of your Dutch friends invites you for a birthday, prepare for a unique experience. Unique in the way that you can only compare it to taking a seat in a wooden chair with a sharp nail driven trough the seat and afterwards not being able to move for a month. More then one foreigner has been driven to the brink of madness by attending a Dutch birthday. The regular Dutch birthday party consists mainly of sitting still and talking to others about your job, your car, politics and foreigners. You are expected to leave somewhere about 23:00 and you will be grateful you can.

(30)Holland has more cities then Amsterdam.There is…eh…and…Well, there are more cities.

(31)Dutch beer has built up quite reputation for itself. Some people even drink it! Brewing is on of the things Hollanders are traditionally very good at. Holland has never been a country where anything was more interesting then drinking yourself half blind or painting landscapes. This made the beer industry very popular rapidly. Expert say that once you've tasted Dutch beer like Heiniken, Grolsch or Amstel, all other kinds of beer taste like tap water in a lousy hotel.

(32)Dutch tap water is safe to drink. This is remarkable if you realise most of it comes from polluted rivers like the Rhine. Plans to improve the waterquality in the Rhine so that fish like the salmon can return there to mate, invokes a lot of protests from the Dutch. The idea of fish having sex in their drinking water upsets them.

(33)Dutch political debates are as boring as a 3-day lecture on famous Swedish sport heroes between 1762 and 1809.No shouting like 'Hear hear!!', no fistfights in front of a camera, not even politicians calling each other incompetent once in a while. (And there really are some amongst Dutch politicians). No, telling your opponent you have doubts about his policy is about the worst thing you can say. The result is that the interest for elections dropped drastically amongst Dutch voters. At the last voting only two elects showed up. The first one got lost on his way to the toilet and the second one was an illegal refugee who thought he came to the right place to get a visa.

Oh boy, a chance to win a " Naked Nerd" :) !

There is often confusion about Holland. Some people call the Netherlands, Holland, but it is not the same. Holland is only a small part of the Netherlands.

you right the Netherlands and holland are not the same

i gonna explain it we have 12 province here that are friesland, gelderland,flevoland, zeeland, overijssel,

limburg, brabant,drenthe,groningen and NOORD HOLLAND and ZUID HOLLAND.

so holland is a part of two province but we live in the Netherlands.

Oh boy, a chance to win a " Naked Nerd" :) !

There is often confusion about Holland. Some people call the Netherlands, Holland, but it is not the same. Holland is only a small part of the Netherlands.

you right the Netherlands and holland are not the same

i gonna explain it we have 12 province here that are friesland, gelderland,flevoland, zeeland, overijssel,

limburg, brabant,drenthe,groningen and NOORD HOLLAND and ZUID HOLLAND.

so holland is a part of two province but we live in the Netherlands.

:) I have silver coins from Hollandia, Zealandia, Gelria, West Friesland, Fricia (are these last 2 the same?).

All are 2 stuiver coins except the fricia one! this is a 3 guilden (60 stuiver) huge silver coin of 1618!!!

It is not in good condition, but....!!!

Hey...do you want to know something about the Netherlands??? They have fantastic gold ducat coins!!! 3.4gr of pure gold with a knight on them!!! In 1986, the knight design changed! they put a different knight on them! Ducat coins were minted from the 18th century (I think!). They were in use in the Netherland India a lot! Great coins my freinds!!!! I have the one of 1986! If I get lucky, I might buy a 1985 one so I can have the old and the new knight design!

Is it true that the 7 arrows are for the 7 provinces that they made revolution against Spanish rule and earned their independence???

TOP TEN REASONS FOR BEING DUTCH

1. You can get arrested for growing plants, but not for smoking them.

2. You can make jokes about the Belgians and still drink their beer.

3.a. You can legally kill yourself

3.b. You can legally be killed

4. You're exactly like the Germans, except that nobody hates you.

5. You think you are a world power, but everyone else thinks Copenhagen is your capital...

6. You get to insult people and defend yourself by saying it's a national tradition.

7. You can put your finger in a dyke and it will save your country

8. You live in the most densely populated country in Europe, and still you've never seen your neighbours.

9. If the economy is bad, blame the Germans. If a war is started, blame the Germans. If you lose your keys, blame the Germans.

10.Bikes are public property. Locks are a challenge.

tee hee - couldnt resist it it was a really nerdy answer!!!!

@ jan and the percey boys

LMAO

and that's although i'm from germany.

so i think that all geocachers and coiners worldwide are great people and

understand a joke...:lol: (hope so...)

here's another one from me:

Franklin Edmundo "Frank" Rijkaard (born September 30, 1962 in Amsterdam) is a Dutch football manager and former player. Rijkaard has played for AFC Ajax, Real Zaragoza and AC Milan, and represented his national side 73 times, scoring 10 goals. Since 2003 he has been the manager of FC Barcelona. His mother is Dutch and his father is Afro-Surinamese.

The Dutch travelled to Italia 90 as one of the favourites, but the team failed to perform as expected. Gullit's knee injuries clearly hampered his play, and his only moment of brilliance was a superb dribble and shot against Ireland which helped the Netherlands qualify for the second round. There they met W Germany in one of the most exciting games of the tournament, though the game was marred by an altercation between Frank Rijkaard and Rudi Völler. The Germans gained revenge for their defeat at Euro 88, by beating the Netherlands 2-1 and going on to win the tournament.

oh i was so shocked after this scene, today völler and rijkaard are good friends...;)

spuck_400q.jpg

i don't want to pace anyone with this log....:)

hope everybody understands this as a part of soccer history....:D

Gin - generally thought of as a British drink - was invented by a Dutch physicist in the 1600s. It was originally sold in pharmacies as a cure for kidney ailments, gallstones, and gout. It was imported to England during the Glorious Revolution when William of Orange took the British throne. In the Netherlands it is still distilled, but goes by the name jenever.

"The Netherlands" and "Holland" are often used to describe the same country.

One quarter of the Netherlands is below sea level.

With only 0.008 % of the world's area, the Netherlands is the world's third largest agricultural exporter after the USA and France.

People in Holland eat raw herring with onions on top.

A man eats pickled raw herring with onions on top

The Netherlands' favourite sweet is a salty liquorice sweet called "drop".

On average, the Dutch are the tallest people in Europe.

Although Amsterdam is the capital of the Netherlands, the government meets in The Hague.

The Hague

There are twice as many bikes as cars in the Netherlands.

In an area of the Netherlands called Friesland, there are as many cows as people.

The Netherlands was one of the European Union's founding nations.

There are 206 paintings by Vincent Van Gogh in Amsterdam.

A self-portrait by Vincent Van Gogh

The Netherlands' highest point is 321 metres above sea level, and is officially called a "mountain"!

The Netherlands has the highest population density in the world. This means that there are more people living per square kilometre of land than anywhere else - over 400 people per sq km.

Most Dutch people speak at least one foreign language - usually English.

One in every three Dutch people belongs to a sports club.

Rotterdam is the world's largest port.

A ship in Rotterdam harbour

Almost all Dutch people can swim and skate.

Many Dutch people spread chocolate on their bread for breakfast.

Amsterdam has 1,281 bridges.

A bridge in Amsterdam

Dutch people take their own bags to the supermarket to pack their groceries in.

The 'Netherlands' mean "Low Country" in Dutch. About half of its surface area is less than 1 metre above sea level. Its highest point is 321 metres (1,053 ft) above sea level.

Dutch people are the tallest in the world, with an average height of 184 cm for men and 170 cm for women.

A 2007 UNICEF report on child well-being in rich countries ranked the Netherlands as the best country for children to live.

Dutch people have the lowest incidence of lactose intolerance of any country - only 1%.

New York City started as Dutch colony called New Amsterdam. Many places names in New York remind of the Dutch origins of the city, such as Flushing in Queens (famous for Flushing Meadows), named after Flushing in the Dutch province of Zeeland.

Gin was invented in the Netherlands under the name of Jenever. It was first sold as a medicine in the late 16th century.

The Dutch were the first Europeans to discover Australia and New Zealand in the 17th century. Australia was then named "New Holland". New Zealand was named after the province of Zeeland.Tasmania was named after Dutch explorer Abel Tasman (1603-1659).

The island country of Mauritius was named in 1598 in honour of Prince Maurice of Nassau, the Stadtholder of the Netherlands at the time.

Indonesia was a Dutch colony until 1945. Jakarta was then called "Batavia", after the Latin name for the Netherlands. Dutch language is still spoken by a minority of Indonesians.

The Netherlands has spawned many world-class painters, such as Rembrandt, Jan Vermeer, Jan Steen, Vincent van Gogh or Piet Mondriaan.

The microscope, the telescope, pendulum clock and the mercury thermometer are all 16th or 17th century Dutch inventions.

The Dutch company 'Philips' invented the audio tape (in 1967), the video tape (in 1972), the Compact Disk (in 1982) and the CD-ROM (in 1985).

There are 1180 windmills in the Netherlands.

Tulips were imported from the Ottoman Empire and became very popular in Holland in the early 17th century. Nowadays, the Netherlands is the world's first producer and exporter of tulips.

Keukenhof Park is the largest flower garden in the world.

The Netherlands has two capitals : Amsterdam (the official capital by constitution since the 19th century) and The Hague (the seat of government and first capital since 1584).

Soft drugs (e.g. cannabis, "magic mushrooms") are legal in the Netherlands. Only licenced "coffee shops" are allowed to sell such drugs, although people are allowed to grow cannabis at home for their personal use.

Prostitution is legal in the Netherlands. However, prostitutes must be at least 18, and clients must be at least 16.

Abortion on demand at any point between conception and viability has been legal since 1981.

Famous Dutch companies include Philips, Akzo Nobel , Royal Dutch Shell (half-British), Unilever (half-British), Heineken, IKEA (formerly Swedish) as well as the banks ING, ABN-AMRO and Fortis (Belgian-Dutch).

The KLM (Royal Dutch Airlines) is the longest running national airline in the world. It was founded in 1919.

The Netherlands has long been one of the richest countries in the world. Its GDP per capita was estimated to be the highest in the world in 1820, and the 2nd highest in Europe in 1900 (after Belgium). Nowadays, it still enjoys the 4th highest nominal GDP per capita within the European Union.

The Netherlands have the highest level of foreign direct investment per capita in the world.

Rotterdam, in South Holland, is the largest seaport in Europe. It used to be the largest port in the world by cargo tonnage, until being overtaken by Singapore in the 1990's, then Shanghai in 2003.

The highest tower in the EU is the Gerbrandy Tower in the Dutch town of IJsselstein (near Utrecht).

Ah...The Netherlands....My mother and I took 6 trips to Europe when I was a teenager and The Netherlands were one of our favorite destinations. For me this thread is a bringing back memories thread. Here are some of the things that I observed/learned when I was there (I'm sure a lot has changed)

-On the train as we were approaching Amsterdam for the first time, we had a conversation with an elderly gentleman who informed us that the Dutch children learn French and English in school...oh and German, "but they don't like it". :-)

-I had never seen any kind of drug parafanalia before, but since it is/was legal, I saw some strange things in shops.

-In the town of Edam, there are buildings that have floating basements. The floor is a box that floats free inside the frame of the walls...as the water level rises and falls, the floor adjusts. Pretty odd walking around in there.

-I know that someone posted that people don't wear wooden shoes, but I have vivid memories of seeing people who were. One specific memory is of a 20ish guy riding a moped, and as he took the corners, he was putting down and dragging one wooden shoe clad foot.

-Churches used to be banned and believers did what they could to worship. In Amsterdam, there is a Church turned Museum that occupies the attic space of three adjoining houses.

-While looking for the church in the attic, we learned that red light districts really have red lights....I was 11 at the time we took that wrong turn...mom wasn't too thrilled.

- In Den Haag there is a cool 1:25 scale village model named Madurodam.

-No place can beat Keukenhof for flowers. It is the most amazing place to visit to spend the day walking around with a digital camera and an empty memory card.

Ok, thanks for the trip down memory lane. I just wanted to share. :lol:

so a little dutche lesson,

goodmorning goedemorgen

how are you hoe is het met u

it`s good cache weather het is goed cache weer

have you a good cache heb je een goede cache gehad

we found the cache we hebben de cache gevonden

up to the next cache op naar de volgende cache

easy cache gemakkelijke cache

hard cache moeilijke cache

first to found FTF eerste vinder

do not found DNF niet gevonden