What's the policy on Dual Listings?

For those who don't know, Dual Listings are Caches that are listed on more than one Cache Listing site.

A a preeemptive strike, please try your best to keep from commenting on other peoples opinions, I'm looking for your point of view, not what you think of someone elses point of view.

I don't have any, as I always thought it was against the rules. Is it allowed?

Just so some don't misread what I just said,

When I say "I don't have any" I'm referring to the Dual Listings, not to the Opinions.

Edited by WRITE SHOP ROBERT

I don't bother to list on more than one site. It seems overly redundant to me.

As for what is allowed, I don't think terracaching allows you to list a cache there that is also listed on another site. geocaching.com doesn't have any rules against it and I don't think navicache does either.

Edited by carleenp

I don't bother to list on more than one site. It seems overly redundant to me.

As for what is allowed, I don't think terracaching allows you to list a cache there that is also listed on another site. geocaching.com doesn't have any rules against it and I don't think navicache does either.

Maybe that's where I saw that rule then. I remember reading it somewhere, but I can't seem to find it now.

I don't see any problem at all listing the caches on multiple sites. Then again I don't work for any of them so there is no conflict of interest in my opinion. If one has a problem with the other it's a management issue not a player issue. There is nothing wrong with healthy competition between groups providing the same services in my mind either. The winners are the users/customers because of improving services. If a place can't improve and decides to rest on their laurals or feel they are 'so good' you can either use them or tells the users/customers to pound sand if they don't like it they are setting themselves up as a company soon to no longer be big in the business.

With so many Navicaches being cross-listed versions of Geocaching.com caches, I have very little incentive to sign up for an account there. I think the Terracaching.com community was smarter to adopt a "no cross-listing" ethic, so that people have a reason to go there: as a place to find caches not listed elsewhere. I don't play there, either, but it is for other reasons not relevant to the OP's question.

Geocaching.com does not care if something is listed elsehwere first or elsewhere later, so long as the GC listing stands on its own. I think that's just fine.

With so many Navicaches being cross-listed versions of Geocaching.com caches, I have very little incentive to sign up for an account there. I think the Terracaching.com community was smarter to adopt a "no cross-listing" ethic, so that people have a reason to go there: as a place to find caches not listed elsewhere. I don't play there, either, but it is for other reasons not relevant to the OP's question.

Geocaching.com does not care if something is listed elsehwere first or elsewhere later, so long as the GC listing stands on its own. I think that's just fine.

ayep.

I live within shouting distance of Navicache World HQ (which is in Rochester, N.Y.), so I discovered it pretty early on in my caching career, and it's always been relatively strong in my area. I noticed that many of the old old caches in my area were cross-listed, so I did the same, and still do until this day. I also have 5 or 6 caches that are only listed there.

Probably the most frequently asked question in the not very active Navicache forums is "is it OK to cross-list my caches here"? The answer is always yes, the response usually coming directly from TPTB over there.

GPSgames.org began accepting caches in 2006, I believe, and I've cross listed a couple of dozen there too. Terracaching.com of course is known for not allowing caches to be cross-listed on other sites.

This just applies to the U.S.A., there's other alternative things going on in Europe. :laughing:

EDIT: I guess I never really answered the question. What is my opinion on it? It's fine. But I have to be very careful to archive or disable most caches on three different websites, and it's definitely a pain in the butt.

Edited by TheWhiteUrkel

FWIW, Terracaching.com does not forbid cross listing. It is generally frowned upon, but one is free to do it. There are plenty of caches listed there that are listed here.

If the listing is approved by one's reviewers and not voted off, it remains.

I have listed several of my caches on Navicache. The reason being that NC is more leniant in regards to what a cache owner can put on their cache page.

Another reason for listing caches on both GC & NC is that NC still allows virtuals. This is a catagory I personally like, in place sometimes of a micro keybox. It gives the finder somthing to participate in rather than just signing a small piece of paper in a tiny box.

I have had great success with GC but this does allow me options unavailable at GC. It also allows me to meet more people. MW

For a while I was cross listing some of my caches on Navicache. Kind of pointless. Not one has ever had a find logged that came via Navicache, and some have been listed there for 5+ years.

The few logs those caches have are from people who found them through GC.com and backlogged the finds on Navicache.

ayep.

I agree too. I've never tried navicaching but I've found a dozen or so terracaches. Out here terracaches are almost always a tough hike. So I'll load them in my GPS just ot have some more fun on a tough hike.

It's been a long time since I even looked at the Navicache or Terracaching sites. Recently I got a notice from TC that my sponsor had dropped me, but I didn't do anything about it--the website didn't play well with my computer and the caches they listed were all at least 90 miles from my house anyway. There are two navicaches within 15 miles of me, and then they jump to over 60 miles away. With thousands of GC caches in those same 60 miles, I have plenty to keep me occupied and I'm bound to find at least a few I like.

All I'm trying to say is there wasn't much reason for me to be too interested in figuring out whether some caches were cross-listed or not.

As for how I feel about cross listing...I suppose I don't see the purpose. So I find a cache that is listed on all three sites, then what? Log it three times? I don't think I would enjoy the cache more because I got to log it extra times.

And I don't see why I would want to try to keep up with two or three sites unless I felt strongly about one kind of cache and couldn't have it on GC. I'm not sure, though. I really like virtuals, but apparently not enough to make me want to keep up with another site just to be able to list my own. But probably that's just because no one around here would even know about them, so they wouldn't be found very often anyway.

Hmm, I suppose I never really gave any of this much thought. I think perhaps I'd prefer to find more (different, other) caches if there were competitors caches around, instead of 'finding' the same one on three sites. (Hey, someone tell that to the guys who say it's all about the numbers!)

I suppose variety and choice are good things, but when it comes to data aquisition I am a single-source kind of guy - I want all my data in one place, complete and easily accessed - so though I joined those sites when they first started I never go there. I get all my listing data from Groundspeak and like it that way.

As far as I am concerned the geocaching.com PQ is the most valuable tool in this game, worth way more than we pay for them!

As to whether things SHOULD be cross-listed, it wouldn't really matter to me... unless I owned a geocache listing site, then I would say no.

Jeremy is a nicer guy than me.

FWIW, Terracaching.com does not forbid cross listing. It is generally frowned upon, but one is free to do it. There are plenty of caches listed there that are listed here.

If the listing is approved by one's reviewers and not voted off, it remains.

This is True, there is no definitive black and white policy, although it's frowned upon. Of course there was that "cross-posted which hunt" thread in their forums a while back, that was controversial. :laughing:

Since those 'other' sites are, for all practical purposes, irrelevant, why should anyone care about what is or is not listed there? I don't.

Though I must admit that the thought has crossed my mind more than once that effective competition would likely benefit the geocaching community overall.

Edited by Team Cotati

I have listed several of my caches on Navicache. The reason being that NC is more leniant in regards to what a cache owner can put on their cache page.

Another reason for listing caches on both GC & NC is that NC still allows virtuals. This is a catagory I personally like, in place sometimes of a micro keybox. It gives the finder somthing to participate in rather than just signing a small piece of paper in a tiny box.

I have had great success with GC but this does allow me options unavailable at GC. It also allows me to meet more people. MW

Yep, you can still place a virtual over there. But will anyone ever visit it? :laughing: Just kidding, I have a couple (and an archived one), and they have 6 or 7 visits apiece; I believe the oldest one is from 2004

I found out about letterboxing at the same time as geocaching so crossed listed my first cache on the main letterboxing sites as well as on gc.

Letterboxing doesn't seem to be taking off here in New Zealand like it has in England and America so haven't done it with any of my other caches.

Still haven't even found one letterbox yet (went hunting for one that was missing didn't know it at the time) and I have over 180 cache finds.

Is it allowed?

Yes.

The only reason for a dual listing is for folks who don't play on all sites on which a cache is listed. Listings on Navicache would be more valuable if you could ignore the duplicates. I've not seen a duplicate on TC.com, so while it is allowed, it is generally frowned upon and voted off the site. The reason being is to preserve the basic concept of the scoring model the site is built around.

Personnaly, I have crosslisted all my caches now. I like to have a bit more control over what to have on my page and I see GC like I see the yellow pages, they just list the place I would like to have cachers visit. While I wouldn't get all graphic on the yellow pages, I may throw a few more pics on say yahoo.com.

Afterall the more people that visit my cache the better, no matter how they got the listing. Heck, the first cache was off of usenet wasn't it?

I duplicate to Navicache. I realize it's mostly pointless in my area, but I'm in favor of competition in the market.

I haven't gone through the trouble for a terracaching account. One of these days I will.

I'll always check Navicache when traveling, just in case. One cacher with outstanding hides operates in an area I visit often, and he only lists there now.