Seattle Caching

ReadyOrNot

I would suggest putting your question on the Northwest section.

I asked a mod to move it for me... But since you took the time to post, how about including some advice? :D

The first question would be, "how much time do you have for caching?" Do you have time to get out of town or not? What area are you staying in?

In the NW forum there is a posted thread containing all kinds of wonderful bookmarks. Do take the time to check those out. Many of us have out favorites bookmark posted.

Once we have some more details, we will have many suggestions for you, I'm sure.

Will be staying near Two Union Square. I'll have about 5 or 6 hours in the afternoon/evening to cache. I'll have a car. If the cache is fantastic, I don't mind driving an hour or more... (I can always hit the caches on the way).. Also, if anyone knows any good night caches, that would be fun to do in the evening also.

thanks!

Edited by ReadyOrNot

I have a bookmark of a number of caches along Lake Washington Blvd that might be of interest. There is also Woof which is located right near Two Union Square. I would not advise looking for that one after dark though. It is not an outstanding cache, but it is close by.

We would normally suggest the APE cache, but the tunnel won't be open yet and the timeline is a bit short to make it up there and back.

I also have a bit of a fondness for Kubota Garden, but that is probably because I hid that one.

Hopefully you have already written the contact @ address and made an appointment to see the Lily Pad.

I have a bookmark of a number of caches along Lake Washington Blvd that might be of interest. There is also Woof which is located right near Two Union Square. I would not advise looking for that one after dark though. It is not an outstanding cache, but it is close by.

We would normally suggest the APE cache, but the tunnel won't be open yet and the timeline is a bit short to make it up there and back.

I also have a bit of a fondness for Kubota Garden, but that is probably because I hid that one.

Hopefully you have already written the contact @ address and made an appointment to see the Lily Pad.

thanks so much! :D I have not made an appointment yet.. Is that the name of the cache? "Lily Pad"??

thanks so much! :D I have not made an appointment yet.. Is that the name of the cache? "Lily Pad"??

No, it is really called Groundspeak Headquarters, but we all call it The Lily Pad. Most appointments are made for 2PM on Fridays to cut down on the distractions to the staff.

No, it is really called Groundspeak Headquarters, but we all call it The Lily Pad. Most appointments are made for 2PM on Fridays to cut down on the distractions to the staff.

Despite the fact that he put in a shameless plug, Kubota Gardens is a great cache. Be prepared to devote a couple of hours at least to it, mainly because the Gardens are very nice. and worth going to without a cache.

I'm a big fan of Kerry Viewpoint Park, and there is a virtual there. If you do this one, go in the evening.

You might also want to look at the Totally Tubular series. It is hyterical, and very much the work of an evil genius.

I'm spending a week in Seattle at the end of April for some training and will have a bunch of free time to do some caching.

Any suggestions for must do caches? :D

Hey, you'll have lots of fun! We have a bookmark list created just for folks like you: Northwest Classics.

There are five Seattle city caches on it that are highly recommended: Groundspeak HQ, Kubota Garden, Kerry Viewpoint Park, Tubulaire Extraordinaire, and Something NICE on Queen Anne. And that's just the tip of the Seattle iceberg. But I guess you'll have to save the rest of the list (non-Seattle) for your next trip north. :o

Edited by hydnsek

Only a masochist would go to Seattle to go caching! The most evil, reprehensible mystery cachers reside there. (Not that I've actually ever gone caching there... But I know my brother far too well.)

I'd suggest making an appointment for Groundspeak HQ.

Yes, e-mail Groundspeak for your appointment invite :D

BTW, who's your brother :o ?

Only a masochist would go to Seattle to go caching! The most evil, reprehensible mystery cachers reside there. (Not that I've actually ever gone caching there... But I know my brother far too well.)

I'd suggest making an appointment for Groundspeak HQ.

Yes, e-mail Groundspeak for your appointment invite :D

BTW, who's your brother :o ?

Paging FunnyNose.... :D

I'm spending a week in Seattle at the end of April for some training and will have a bunch of free time to do some caching.

Any suggestions for must do caches? :o

I'm going up to Seattle with my family sometime in July to visit my son who got a summer intern job in Bellevue. So I'd also be interested in a "Must-do" or "Favorites" list caches too. The types of caches I like are the ones you'd love to see being shown on a news special about geocaching. We could do some easy-moderately difficult hikes so I'd be interested in those as well. The good news is that I have plenty of time to get recommendations! :D
Assuming you park at Iron Horse State Park east of the summit, the total hike is close to six miles, but it is almost level. You will need warm clothing even in July since the tunnel gets cold with the wind blowing through.

I was looking at the gallery and most people are wearing jackets. It will be funny to leave 100 degree temps here (inland in July) and experience colder temps there (40s?). How wet is it on that hike? We will be living out of suitcases and don't have tons of room for extra shoes/boots...

Ebey Bluffs sounds like a great one! A 3.5-mile loop along the beach and bluffs that takes in three caches sounds perfect to me! :o Purgatory sounds good too. A 2.5 mile hike up Mt Pilchuck with some of the best mountain scenery for the least effort, and one cool fire tower on top! :D

Abby also mentioned another area to consider that isn't on the bookmark if you like railroad or mining history (which I do!) is Cougar Mountain Park (just south of Bellevue across Lake Washington from Seattle). I just wanted to pass that along for any other Seattle visitors that might read this thread someday.

Edited by TrailGators

If you are a puzzler there is a couple that land in Gas Works Park. Its a pretty cool park, with incredible views and leftover machinery from when it refined coal. The Lackeys have developed a Wherigo cartridge for the park as well.

Son of Gasworks

8b8f2638-0c40-44a1-83f4-35551358ccb5.jpg

4 gals and a view (check out Flutey's sexy back pose)

67c77221-db05-4e04-8e1b-cfdb4de8ea4a.jpg

Leftover Machinery

Virtual Tour of the Park

Edited by Harriet the Spy

We are only up to about 80 caches but love caching in the seattle metro area we live kind of in the south east corner of the metro area for seattle and there are some good caches at flaming gyeser state park one we still need to find oursevles and the danville/george town area has quite a few too that were alot of fun. If you want to get together while you are in town we always love meeting other cachers and going out hunting.

Team Havic427

Definitely check out the Classics bookmark that Hydnsek mentioned earlier. If you have a fair part of the day, the APE cache would be great in July.

Thanks! How far is the APE cache from Bellevue? I was in Maryland last summer after that APE cache vanished. :o

Hey there homie, I grew up in San Diego. :D You won't want to miss the opportunity to do the APE cache while you're here. People come from all over the world for that icon, and the only other one remaining is in Brazil. Besides, the trip through the tunnel is a great experience even if there wasn't an APE cache waiting for you on the other side.

Definitely check out the Classics bookmark that Hydnsek mentioned earlier. If you have a fair part of the day, the APE cache would be great in July.

Thanks! How far is the APE cache from Bellevue? I was in Maryland last summer after that APE cache vanished. :o

Hey there homie, I grew up in San Diego. :D You won't want to miss the opportunity to do the APE cache while you're here. People come from all over the world for that icon, and the only other one remaining is in Brazil. Besides, the trip through the tunnel is a great experience even if there wasn't an APE cache waiting for you on the other side.

And the drive is really only about an hour from Bellevue. The round trip for the cache will take longer than the drive.

Plus you can hunt caches inside the tunnel as an added bonus! It really is very cool, and lots of fun as well.

Thanks to everyone for their advice! It sounds like we might need to lengthen our stay... :laughing:

I should mention that Ebey Bluffs is a great choice and it has been done in the same day as the APE cache, but that is a long day. Lengthening your stay would be a great idea.

It's funny that you mentioned Ebey Bluffs because that is right at the top of my list. If I went up that way, I'd probably hang out in that area and maybe find a good place to eat and kick back. I'm also not sure how much caching the other TrailGators will tolerate. They are not into it as much as I am... :rolleyes:

Thanks to everyone for their advice! It sounds like we might need to lengthen our stay... :laughing:

I should mention that Ebey Bluffs is a great choice and it has been done in the same day as the APE cache, but that is a long day. Lengthening your stay would be a great idea.

It's funny that you mentioned Ebey Bluffs because that is right at the top of my list. If I went up that way, I'd probably hang out in that area and maybe find a good place to eat and kick back. I'm also not sure how much caching the other TrailGators will tolerate. They are not into it as much as I am... :rolleyes:

Oh do we have a suggestion for a place to eat.

The Mad Crab in Coupeville. One cacher who is somewhat misguided, but in this case is right, will not eat anywhere else on the island.

The Mad Crab in Coupeville. One cacher who is somewhat misguided, but in this case is right, will not eat anywhere else on the island.

:unsure: I love crab! I'm from the crab state! I can see a great day coming together! :D

The tunnel doesn't open until May 1st.

But Trailgators will be here in July. It is ReadyOrNot that will be here before the tunnel is scheduled to open.

Actually, I will be in town May 1st. How long does the APE cache take? I will not be able to do it until after training, but it usually gets out at about 3:30-4:00. If someone is interested in doing the APE cache after 4pm on May 1st, I'd be game...

Let me know

The tunnel doesn't open until May 1st.

But Trailgators will be here in July. It is ReadyOrNot that will be here before the tunnel is scheduled to open.

Actually, I will be in town May 1st. How long does the APE cache take? I will not be able to do it until after training, but it usually gets out at about 3:30-4:00. If someone is interested in doing the APE cache after 4pm on May 1st, I'd be game...

Let me know

The problem is that the schedule shows the tunnel opening May 1, but exactly when it opens depends on conditions in the tunnel. Somebody mentioned killer icicles. That was not a joke. Tunnel Creek runs right over the east end of the tunnel and leaks into the tunnel. The drive to parking is about an hour depending on traffic at that time of day. The round trip hike is about six miles through the tunnel. The ground there is level for the most part as it is old railroad grade. If the tunnel is not open then the hike will take longer as there is a fair elevation change.

Has anybody heard an estimate of the tunnel opening yet?

If you are a puzzler there is a couple that land in Gas Works Park. Its a pretty cool park, with incredible views and leftover machinery from when it refined COAL. The Lackeys have developed a Wherigo cartridge for the park as well.

Son of Gasworks

8b8f2638-0c40-44a1-83f4-35551358ccb5.jpg

4 gals and a view (check out Flutey's sexy back pose)

Leftover Machinery

Virtual Tour of the Park

Umm, GAS! not coal. You don't REFINE coal. :laughing:

I can recommend a couple of night caches - Nighttime Isn't Just For Sleeping and Nighttime Still Isn't Just For Sleeping. They're in the same park less than 1/4 mile apart.

I STILL need to do both of those, and they are so close to me, just a short hop to Renton.

Maybe we should schedule a Meet & Greet in the Renton area, with a trip out to the night caches following... You might even get some extra hints so you don't make some of the same mistakes others have...

Yes, the Mad Crab in Coupeville! I think I even list it in my bookmark link for Ebey Bluff. And Coupeville is a lovely and quaint seaside town, with several cool caches worth a stroll.

Edited by hydnsek

If you are a puzzler there is a couple that land in Gas Works Park. Its a pretty cool park, with incredible views and leftover machinery from when it refined COAL. The Lackeys have developed a Wherigo cartridge for the park as well.

Leftover Machinery

Virtual Tour of the Park

Umm, yes they did.

HISTORY

This 20 acre point on Lake Union was cleared in 1906 to construct a plant to manufacture gas from coal - later converted to crude oil. Import of natural gas in the 1950's made the plant obsolete. The city acquired the site for a park in 1962. The park was opened to the public in 1975. The boiler house has been converted to a picnic shelter with tables, fire grills and an open area. The former exhauster-compressor building, now a children's play barn, features a maze of brightly painted machinery.

The ground there is level for the most part as it is old railroad grade.
And this means that it's an easy bike ride. A bike will get you to the cache and back quickly (if the tunnel is open.) Even better is to continue on to ride the entire Iron Horse Trail and hit all the caches as you go, but for this you need a car shuttle.

Uhmmm they refined COAL into natural GAS :rolleyes:

HISTORY

This 20 acre point on Lake Union was cleared in 1906 to construct a plant to manufacture gas from coal - later converted to crude oil. Import of natural gas in the 1950's made the plant obsolete. The city acquired the site for a park in 1962. The park was opened to the public in 1975. The boiler house has been converted to a picnic shelter with tables, fire grills and an open area. The former exhauster-compressor building, now a children's play barn, features a maze of brightly painted machinery.

But lets not talk about underground stuff when Ebey Bluffs is so much cooler to talk about!!! When I went with BBP we had 7 kids and 4 adults. It was great! If you are scared of heights then the cliff might be a little much for you!

Edit: LOL I was so eager to reply I didn't see LandRovers post!

Edited by Harriet the Spy

Yes, the Mad Crab in Coupeville! I think I even list it in my bookmark link for Ebey Bluff. And Coupeville is a lovely and quaint seaside town, with several cool caches worth a stroll.

MMMMMMMMM.... Crab Cakes......

Just a note about the APE cache. I was at the summit this week. There are huge piles of snow in the parking lot. The state DOT says there is a base of 115 inches of snow. There is no way the tunnel will be open in the next three weeks and probably a lot longer.

We will be in Seattle next week for the Spring Fling event and we would like to do the APE cache :mad: .

So is there a (small) chance that the tunnel will open on May 11th??

And how are the conditions for the other routes (Annette Lake trailhead)?.

Since we live in the Netherlands we would like to know how to prepare :) ?

Best regards,

gerrit jan and alie aka GeoTeeth from the Netherlands

I just checked the state for snow depth. They are still showing around three meters (109 inches) at the summit. I see you have been at the cache page for the cache. Read over the last found it log. Waterproof hiking boots, snow shoes and a shovel seem to be required to get up via Annette Lake. When I was driving over the pass, I did not look at the parking area for the trail so I can't say what that is like. They had two inches of new snow overnight so it does not look good for a tunnel opening anytime soon.

Since you need to be back in Seattle by 2PM on Friday, I would not try to do the hike that day. Given the conditions with the hills and the snow it will take longer than you anticipate unless you have been hiking in the mountains recently.