GPS Coverage & Graveyards

We started caching in 2002, and it used to be as simple as following the gps to a spot that was somewhat unique. A bush, a pile of rocks, a street sign, a unique tree, etc. Nowadays, we're stomping around in a forest of trees, with heavily degraded GPS signal on account of the overhead tree cover, no hints, no description of the cache location or container type. One cacher even had the nerve to put this in the descripton of the cache: "GPS doesn't like the forest, but the cache does...GPS jumps around a little; o.k. a lot". What the heck is going on out there??? No wonder so many newbies are shelving their GPS units after a few frustating times out. The GPS is supposed to lead you to within a few feet of the cache, not to within a few hundred... That is the whole point of geocaching, fer cryin' out loud. :anibad:

We've also noticed more and more caches requiring the cacher to travel through graveyards. Not very cool. These type of sites are reserved for family members of the deceased; we don't need a bunch of geo hounds and their kids traipsing over someone's gravesite. Any caches located within the confines of a cemetery need to be removed and cemeteries need to be added to the verboten list of places to place a cache. These sites ought to be sacred.

GPS accuracy is much better now than it was in 2002. We've gone through several generations of improved chipsets. I don't lose coverage under the trees now with my two year old GPS anywhere near as often as I did when I first started. It's almost getting too easy. For park and grabs, I often leave the GPS wired up in the car.

As for cemeteries, what about all the ones that are hidden with permission? Do those need to be yanked, too?

I like finding caches in the woods, and in finding respectfully hidden cemetery caches that show me interesting pieces of history.

I'm sorry that you don't seem to be having fun.

We've also noticed more and more caches requiring the cacher to travel through graveyards.

I gotta wonder if the difficulty rating increases during the nighttime. :anibad:

Caching in a cemetery at night is considered really bad form and in some places is illegal. There is a popular concern that there are often bad "goins on," like occult rituals and vandalism that occur in cemeteries at night. Thus considerate gecachers cache in cemeteries only in daylight. Also, most currently active cemeteries are posted closed at dusk, making caching at night trespassing.

If I remember correctly, cemetery caches down south here now require express permission from the land owner. Others are far better at answering that question than I am.

Considering ALL geocaches require permission from the land owner and you'd be hard pressed to find a cemetery without some sort of governing body that decides what does and does not take place on the grounds of the cemetery if the governing body hasn't given permission, then the geocache should never have been approved.

If I remember correctly, cemetery caches down south here now require express permission from the land owner. Others are far better at answering that question than I am.

Considering ALL geocaches require permission from the land owner and you'd be hard pressed to find a cemetery without some sort of governing body that decides what does and does not take place on the grounds of the cemetery if the governing body hasn't given permission, then the geocache should never have been approved.

Not all approved caches are placed with permission. I'll let the volunteers answer the cemetery requirements.

AARGH!!!! You try dealing with my quality control department! :anibad: "But, Harry."

But, Harry, the coords are bouncing about a lot. Make sure to give a good hint. Good Hint

But, Harry. Who cares if you've wondered for years how the canal got up this hill? It is not a pretty spot!

Yup, we've got some very nice caches, But Harry. Maybe more cache hiders need to use my QC department. :o

Oh, and... I ignore all cemetery caches. That is my prerogative. I really wish that all cache hiders would let me know that their cache is in a cemetery!

All this aside, has anyone else noticed that their GPSr's reception is abysmal when walking through a cemetery?

It's kinda eerie... :anibad:

I HAVE noticed that from time to time. :o

Reflection of signal from the multiple hard surfaces to be found in the area.

But I suspect that answer isn't as fun as "ghosts".

Wow, so all of those times that I've walked around cemeteries with my kids (geocaching and otherwise) where we didn't have family members, we shouldn't have been there??? I wasn't aware that general cemeteries were only open for family members of the deceased. Crazy me for walking around the one in Boston with graves dating to the 1600s or wandering around inside the one in Toronto to read about the brave firefighters who all lost their lives in the same fire (part of a geocache :anibad: ).

I agree that a cemetery is a place which calls for a certain level of respect by visitors, but I see no reason they should be off-limits. After all, why do they put information on headstones if they don't want other people to read something about the person memorialized? Their family KNOWS their name, their dates on earth, who they were, etc.

Some of my favorite caches (with and without the kids) have been inside cemeteries. We always enjoy walking around and looking at the headstones...we talk about the changes in history (lots of babies in those early years, the veterans, families, etc.). I see nothing wrong with a tasteful cache (not near a headstone unless it's your family, etc) placed with adequate permission.

Wow, so all of those times that I've walked around cemeteries with my kids (geocaching and otherwise) where we didn't have family members, we shouldn't have been there??? I wasn't aware that general cemeteries were only open for family members of the deceased. Crazy me for walking around the one in Boston with graves dating to the 1600s or wandering around inside the one in Toronto to read about the brave firefighters who all lost their lives in the same fire (part of a geocache :anibad: ).

I agree that a cemetery is a place which calls for a certain level of respect by visitors, but I see no reason they should be off-limits. After all, why do they put information on headstones if they don't want other people to read something about the person memorialized? Their family KNOWS their name, their dates on earth, who they were, etc.

Some of my favorite caches (with and without the kids) have been inside cemeteries. We always enjoy walking around and looking at the headstones...we talk about the changes in history (lots of babies in those early years, the veterans, families, etc.). I see nothing wrong with a tasteful cache (not near a headstone unless it's your family, etc) placed with adequate permission.

I agree 100%. Do people that like to do Headstone Rubbings need to be banned from cemeteries also? LOL Edited by saginawmike
One cacher even had the nerve to put this in the descripton of the cache: "GPS doesn't like the forest, but the cache does...GPS jumps around a little; o.k. a lot".

And the problem is........?

Sometimes cachers like to put caches in places where the GPS may be a little jumpy.

But you do have a choice whether or not you want to go out and try it.

All this aside, has anyone else noticed that their GPSr's reception is abysmal when walking through a cemetery?

It's kinda eerie... :anibad:

Too funny... LadeBear68 and I are on a road trip to Atlanta, looking for a cache in an old cemetery.

I had just found the cache and was signing it when suddenly she takes off yelping and running for the car like the devil himself is behind her! She, of course, has the flashlight.

I go on signing the log and look at my watch to get the time - it is exactly midnight.

I walk back to the car, she's locked in and has her coat over her head. When I ask what in the world happened she swears she saw a crypt lid move! I pooh-pooh this silly notion of a crypt lid moving at midnight and go to set a course to the next cache.

Dead. The GPS died dead at the same time she saw the crypt lid move. I had to go to WalMart and get a new one to continue the weekend.

Huh, you decide! :o

I absoulutely loooove the cemetery caches--it lets me mix two of my favorite hobbies, geocaching and geneology--at the same time. It also takes me to some really cool spots.

On our last trip we stopped at a cemetery in Forest Park Illinois that has a memorial to the members of the Hagenbeck-Wallace circus who were killed when a train plowed into the four rear sleeping cars of the circus train near Hammond, Indiana in 1918.

On another trip, I saw the grave of the King and Queen of the Gypsies--one of my favorite caches of all times. According to this site "Today, gypsies continue to visit Ross Hill Cemetery on a regular basis to pay their respects to the king and queen. They often leave food, drink, money and trinkets at the grave site." Some of the things on the grave in this photo were there when I was there--it was incredible.

I've also visited many cemeteries and arboretums, like this one in Ohio, where the owners of the cemetery encourage people to visit and enjoy the landscaping, the plants and animals, and learn a bit of the history of the area. They spend a great deal of money making the places nice and advertising their offerings. There is a wonderful one near me.

I'm not the only "weirdo" and it's not a new idea--according to this site "The Victorians crowded into Forest Hills Cemetery on weekends for picnics and strolling among the gravestones. The cemetery was so popular that at one point, you could only get in on Sundays if you had a ticket, and you could only get a ticket if you had a family member buried there" and they still have tours there today.

There are lots of places that list self guided cemetery tours. Or picnics. Here's one near Atlanta, one in Philidelphia, one in California, and here is an article that tells you how to plan a picnic event at a cemetery!

There are internet groups related to cemeteries for about every purpose you can think of--ghost hunting, rubbings, tours, genealogy, preservation, historic tours, etc. There are even teacher lesson plans for visiting cemteries with students. I visited a cemetery in one of my college classes to learn how to do population survival rate studies and epidemic surveys.

A google search of cemetery art gives 428,000 hits and "cemetery photos" has over 2 million!

I've visited cemeteries before I ever geocached, and I probably always will. I even did a project in a college Biology class to learn "how cemeteries change the natural sucession of plants in an area" --the professor thought it was 'one of the most authentic, creative, valuable, and interesting projects' he had ever had a student do (His words).

In all the cemtery caches I done (dozens), I've only seen one that I thought was dubious, and it really wasn't that bad. Someone had put the container a bit too close to headstones for my personal taste--but you could still get to it without standing on a grave. The cords were off, so perhaps the cache owner hadn't placed it there originally---there was a "nicer" spot where my cords pointed to, in any case. All the rest have been just peachy--And some have been very enlightening.

I may not be able to change your mind--some people just don't care for cemeteries. Just please don't deride those of us who do enjoy those wonderful places.

I agree 100%. Do people that like to do Headstone Rubbings need to be banned from cemeteries also? LOL

What about bird watchers, photographers, genealogists, joggers and historians? Should they be allowed in cemeteries?

I absoulutely loooove the cemetery caches--it lets me mix two of my favorite hobbies, geocaching and geneology--at the same time. It also takes me to some really cool spots.

On our last trip we stopped at a cemetery in Forest Park Illinois that has a memorial to the members of the Hagenbeck-Wallace circus who were killed when a train plowed into the four rear sleeping cars of the circus train near Hammond, Indiana in 1918.

On another trip, I saw the grave of the King and Queen of the Gypsies--one of my favorite caches of all times. According to this site "Today, gypsies continue to visit Ross Hill Cemetery on a regular basis to pay their respects to the king and queen. They often leave food, drink, money and trinkets at the grave site." Some of the things on the grave in this photo were there when I was there--it was incredible.

I've also visited many cemeteries and arboretums, like this one in Ohio, where the owners of the cemetery encourage people to visit and enjoy the landscaping, the plants and animals, and learn a bit of the history of the area. They spend a great deal of money making the places nice and advertising their offerings. There is a wonderful one near me.

I'm not the only "weirdo" and it's not a new idea--according to this site "The Victorians crowded into Forest Hills Cemetery on weekends for picnics and strolling among the gravestones. The cemetery was so popular that at one point, you could only get in on Sundays if you had a ticket, and you could only get a ticket if you had a family member buried there" and they still have tours there today.

There are lots of places that list self guided cemetery tours. Or picnics. Here's one near Atlanta, one in Philidelphia, one in California, and here is an article that tells you how to plan a picnic event at a cemetery!

There are internet groups related to cemeteries for about every purpose you can think of--ghost hunting, rubbings, tours, genealogy, preservation, historic tours, etc. There are even teacher lesson plans for visiting cemteries with students. I visited a cemetery in one of my college classes to learn how to do population survival rate studies and epidemic surveys.

A google search of cemetery art gives 428,000 hits and "cemetery photos" has over 2 million!

I've visited cemeteries before I ever geocached, and I probably always will. I even did a project in a college Biology class to learn "how cemeteries change the natural sucession of plants in an area" --the professor thought it was 'one of the most authentic, creative, valuable, and interesting projects' he had ever had a student do (His words).

In all the cemtery caches I done (dozens), I've only seen one that I thought was dubious, and it really wasn't that bad. Someone had put the container a bit too close to headstones for my personal taste--but you could still get to it without standing on a grave. The cords were off, so perhaps the cache owner hadn't placed it there originally---there was a "nicer" spot where my cords pointed to, in any case. All the rest have been just peachy--And some have been very enlightening.

I may not be able to change your mind--some people just don't care for cemeteries. Just please don't deride those of us who do enjoy those wonderful places.

One of the best post about recreation in a cemetery I have read in the many times this comes up for discussion.

It amazes me that times have changed so much from when town picnics were held in the cemetery to now when it is frowned upon.

I agree 100%. Do people that like to do Headstone Rubbings need to be banned from cemeteries also? LOL

What about bird watchers, photographers, genealogists, joggers and historians? Should they be allowed in cemeteries?

It's amazing that there are people out there that are so uptight about cemeteries. I have to say that i was the same way back when i was a kid because i thought they were haunted or something. Thankfully, i matured and realized that they aren't a place to be scared of, but a place of memorial for our fellow human beings. Geocaching in cemeteries is no more disrespectful than the pusuit of those other activities Briansnat and others have mentioned.

I'm also sorry that the OP has a problem with caches placed out in forest and under trees. In my opinion, these are usually alot more fun for our family to go for than those, alot of times, simpler and easier to find urban caches.

Of course this is a hobby where each of us has our preferred cache types. There's nothing wrong with a person not liking cemetery or woodsie type caches. The thing is, those people should not be complaining about these caches just because they don't like them! :o

Edited by Mudfrog

I hope I don't get Markwelled on this one. . . Wouldn't it be a great idea to place a micro on a loved one's headstone, or maybe nearby? A description of the deceased life and times could be published on the cache page, and everyone that found the cache would be asked to participate in a moment of silence to think about the one who passed. I'd be thrilled if someone did that for me.

We've also noticed more and more caches requiring the cacher to travel through graveyards. Not very cool. These type of sites are reserved for family members of the deceased;

Most of the graveyards I have found caches in have had no recent burials in the last 30-50 years, and no apparent visits from family members. I had thought it was nice that geocaching brought people to see what otherwise was forgotten. :(

The last graveyard I was in was active, but had a huge statue of Francis Scott Key at the entrance, (who was buried in there) as well a small information center with a computer showing historical facts of the area. I don't think that it really was intended for only Key's family members..

Edited by 4wheelin_fool
it used to be as simple as following the gps to a spot that was somewhat unique. A bush, a pile of rocks,

[Facetious] I love being in the forest. I think geocaching should be banned in wide open places with perfect reception down to three feet and the cache is hidden in a pile of rocks (not that unique really) that we have all seen for years now. [/facetious]

I doubt most geocaches require you to walk on a grave. If a geocacher can't figure out where the rows of graves are and walk between them not over them then then that cacher is inconsiderate.

If you don't like cemetery caches don't do them. If you get to one and it looks like it will be one skip it.

I did one where a cacher led us to a private plot on his families land to see the headstones of his ancestors who were pioneers of the Washington coast.. It was overgrown despite having been completely cleared 20 years before. There were headstones for the men only, none for the wives even though a male servant had one. Weird by our standards today.

I have been trekking through cemeteries for years now compared to only 6 months of caching. Both my youngest two kids also enjoy them. We are always out looking and identifying soldier from the civil war and before and have placed close to 60 veterans markers for men that have long ago fought for this country of ours. So caches in old cemeteries top my list of places to go.

It's kinda eerie... <_<

Too funny... LadeBear68 and I are on a road trip to Atlanta, looking for a cache in an old cemetery.

I had just found the cache and was signing it when suddenly she takes off yelping and running for the car like the devil himself is behind her! She, of course, has the flashlight.

I go on signing the log and look at my watch to get the time - it is exactly midnight.

I walk back to the car, she's locked in and has her coat over her head. When I ask what in the world happened she swears she saw a crypt lid move! I pooh-pooh this silly notion of a crypt lid moving at midnight and go to set a course to the next cache.

Dead. The GPS died dead at the same time she saw the crypt lid move. I had to go to WalMart and get a new one to continue the weekend.

Huh, you decide! :(

KARMA. Nothing but karma at work here. You shoulda known better than to be out walking in a cemetery at midnight... the gods gotcha. :unsure:

Until you place a really good puzzle cache that gets rave reviews, you'll never get good sat reception again. Karma, that's all.

I hope I don't get Markwelled on this one. . . Wouldn't it be a great idea to place a micro on a loved one's headstone, or maybe nearby? A description of the deceased life and times could be published on the cache page, and everyone that found the cache would be asked to participate in a moment of silence to think about the one who passed. I'd be thrilled if someone did that for me.

Markwell (not an official markwell, but it will do in a pinch)

This cache is at the grave site of an acquaintance in the GC community (within 10 feet of his stone). It is indeed "what he would have wanted." In fact, I think I heard that it was in his will.

When I take up residence in one of theses places, i would really enjoy having my headstone made with a "secret compartment" where the ammo can could be hidden.

I did not take any pix at this particular cache, but in the immediate area are literally dozens of "mementos" around other graves like toys and such that loved ones have left to honour the memory of their deceased by "giving" them things they liked in life.

Pray tell, what is wrong with that?

Different people grieve differently. To deny one survivor the peaceful solitude he/she might desire in a cemetery is wrong. it is equally wrong to deny another survivor the pleasure of a game or picnic that they might "share" with the deceased.

As long as nothing is damaged or desecrated, and no living visitor is disturbed in his/her devotions, what one does in a cemetery is one's own business- caching included.

I absoulutely loooove the cemetery caches

*snip*

Just please don't deride those of us who do enjoy those wonderful places.

Awesome post. I've never been a big fan of cemeteries, but your post was an eye-opener, thank you.

Awww shucks, you made me blush. Thanks for the nice compliment.

A few more cemetery caches that stand out in my geocaching experience -

HL Hunley

The Last Camp of the Gypsy King

Path of the Bear

The famous cemetery of actors where I found a cache in Los Angeles, don't remember its name; you could look it up in the tour-guide book Celebrities in Los Angeles Cemeteries: A Directory

All are promoted as tourist attractions and maps to the grave sites are published...

Not to mention Arlington National Cemetery (bus tours on the hour daily)

The rest of the nation seems to invite cemetery tourism, I see no reason to exclude geocachers.

We used to go to Oakwood Cemetary to look at all the street names (I once slipped and hit my head on Arthur Hill's marker when we were skipping school, talk about getting your comeuppance!), and I've thought about taking my nephew for a walk through... are there any caches there?

I'll add a great one I did recently, Silent City, located at the Congressional Cemetery in D.C.

I got to see John Phillip Sousa (and family), Elbridge Gerry (the only signer of the Declaration of Independence buried within the District), A lady by the name of Lockwood (the first woman to run for President in 1884 received over 4000 votes), and many many more Revolutionary, Civil War soldiers, Senators, Congressmen, etc.. etc.. etc..

It is one of my favorite caches so far (another favorite was a Revolutionary War cemetery in NH, Till Death Do We Cache)

So....is the OP coming back to engage in this dicussion or was it a post-n-run?

The latter. When someone's first post is a big complaint about much of the sport, it's probably a troll.

No, I'd say it's a sincere old-timer, who just wanted to get a rant off his chest. Not a post-n-run troll by any means. But I disagree with both his rants; GPS accuracy is generally much better now than it was in 2002; And I myself like cemetery caches. But, like the OP, there are plenty of people who don't like them, and ignore them. I can easily see where some people have problems with cemetery caches, and will always respect their decision to not look for them.

Of course he's not just ignoring them, he wants them banned. <_<

..."GPS doesn't like the forest, but the cache does...GPS jumps around a little; o.k. a lot". What the heck is going on out there??? No wonder so many newbies are shelving their GPS units after a few frustating times out. The GPS is supposed to lead you to within a few feet of the cache, not to within a few hundred... That is the whole point of geocaching, fer cryin' out loud. <_<

We've also noticed more and more caches requiring the cacher to travel through graveyards....

The whole point of caching is the adventure and the find. The GPS is just a tool. Some places the tool doesn't work so well. However those places are and remain a good place to hide a cache. One handy trick for forest caching is called Triangulation. You can find it in the FAQ in the getting started section of these forums. Triangulatin works fairly well.

As for that last rant...If you go back far enough we are all realted. If you go forward far enough you will find that many of us pay tax to maintain cemetaries that we don't even know the people who are interred. Both give me the right to visit. Even without that it's a cultural peragative for us to visit them. There are respectful bounds that can be maintaince and still have us visit cemetaries.

Edited by Renegade Knight

A few more cemetery caches that stand out in my geocaching experience -

The Last Camp of the Gypsy King

That was one of the caches I spoke of in my post above. Love it, it was just awesome. It was on the favorites list of someone I know and whose opinion I trust, so we decided to add it to our trip list. It was well worth it.

Here is my log from the day we visited, and another log from just a few months ago made some other Indiana cachers that had a great visit to the cache.

We stopped in Vicksburg on that trip, too. I didn't take any photos in the little cemetery there, but we were just awed by the way history came to life in that park. I can't imagine fighting my way up some of those hills, or being so close to the enemy in some of those battles.