What do you think?

Phil&Phil2008

Hi all,

Dad and I are thinking of doing our first cache this saturday. As a trade for items in a cache I was thinking of putting in some of my collection from the old Paulenskill railroad line. Having been buried for atleast 50 yrs, it is VERY rusty and I was wondering what you guys (and gals) think of this? It isn't sharp, just rusty, I was thinking they would make great cache items because of the history they carry.

Thanks, sorry for the grammar,

~Phil

I don't know about the average cacher but I would love that kind of stuff.

I have a cache that takes you to where they filmed the 1961 movie "Ring Of Fire". In the movie they blew up a very tall wooden trestle and dropped the 60 ton steam lokie and 2 passenger cars into the river over 120 feet below.

The engine is still there upside down in the river and completely under water except for a short time in August and Sept. when you can see the wheels and pistons. The passenger cars are broke in half and were dragged to shore. You can crawl inside them.

Sometimes I leave RR spike I have stamped Ironman114 into and painted gold. Other times I place 16 penny duplex nails I have smashed on some rail tracks from a tower crane on rails I worked with. (Never do tis on real RR tracks!!!) I stamp my nick on these also.

I have another near some abandoned track and bridges still left in the woods from a 75 yr old rail line used for logging. They have been abandoned there for 23 years and have trees growing through them now.

Not a huge fan of trains meself. But I also say for got it, deffinitely. Because while to some it's going to be percieved as junk.. Others will things it's cool.

Like the antique barbed wire that I picked up from a cache in NM. So far that's been the coolest thing I've found in a cache.

If you can, clean it up some. A touch of light scrubbing and you can get the bad loose rust off.

I also like the idea of bagging it and maybe including a card describing what it is.

Wonder how many bits and pieces of stuff having interest to collectors, have been tossed because someone didn't know what they were.

It is true, caches end up with a lot of trash after a while. However, I do wonder if some of that trash would be a treasure for someone who knows what it is. Bagging and labeling it would go a long way to separate the good from the junk.