Anyone else have a problem with Micro's

miuwu

Yah well, the problem with "the library doesn't carry all the books" analogy is that we have way too many people around here that want the library to throw out entire sections of children's literature, vampire love stories, murder mysteries, hobbiest books, and poetry because it ruins their ability to appreciate the dry musty classics if they have to walk past all those genre they deem "inferior" ---even though there is a wide aisle to the classics and the shelves are well marked!

And there are people that remember when the library used to only carry the classics, and they could go into the building and grab any book off the shelf and 9 out of 10 times they'd pick something they'd like.

But now the library has all those other books in addition to the classics which requires folks to do a small amount of thinking to avoid the "inferior" books and make their way to the wonderful classics.

"But I didn't used to have to do all this work. These new books have made me change the way I use the library and I don't like it."

The fact that there also used to be about 5 people in the library reading the classics, but now there's always about 300 people in there, and they're all enjoying the rest of the sections as well as the classics means nothing.

"I'd prefer it be the way it used to be. I liked it the other way, and everyone else should too."

Boo hoo hoo! My goodness, I've never heard so many cry babies. As many of the more enlightened ones have stated, "if you don't like them, dont hunt them."
Maybe you can help me with this one. How do you know you aren't going to like the cache until you've actually hunted it?
Maybe you can help the rest of us first: What leads you to believe that a guarantee of knowing whether you're going to like a cache before you hunt it is a reasonable expectation?
Who is asking for a guarantee? There have always been disappointing caches. Does it have to be 9 out of every 10?
For me, it's one out of ten. (Darn that old DNF! :( )

I wonder what's different between you and I that causes me to have tons of fun playing this game and you to get almost no enjoyment out of it.

I get plenty of enjoyment out of the game, otherwise I wouldn't do it. When traveling, I get far less enjoyment than I once did though. Geocaching once took me away from the mundane. Now it guides me to it.

Maybe I'm just tough to entertain. Tours of strip malls, highway guardrails and parking lots just don't do it for me. Is there is something wrong with me and I'm really supposed to be thrilled by parking lots?

Edited by briansnat

Now you've got it. :D

I think that's the reason we don't live forever, the older you get the less you wants things to change.

:(

I'm just the opposite... The older I get, the more I seem to want things to change. :D

I'm with Briansnat, strip mall parking lots and the back of fast food joints just don't do it for me. I could have 10 times as many "smilies" as I do if I wanted to chase micros around the cities, but for WHAT? Wow, someone has 7,874 finds... That, and $1.00 will get them a cup of cofee. :D Unless they're "Stabucks People", then it's $5.00. :D I got into this sport to get out in the great outdoors, and see beautiful and interesting places, not running from parking lot to parking lot just so I can say "I've got more smileys than you!" I grew out of that kind of thing about 35 years ago.

I get plenty of enjoyment out of the game, otherwise I wouldn't do it. When traveling, I get far less enjoyment than I once did though. Geocaching once took me away from the mundane. Now it guides me to it.
My mistake. I thought when you posted that "The spew has ruined the sport for me." that you weren't having fun.

Cache on!

Maybe I'm just tough to entertain. Tours of strip malls, highway guardrails and parking lots just don't do it for me. Is there is something wrong with me and I'm really supposed to be thrilled by parking lots?
No. There's nothing wrong with you except for a misconception of what the game is. Well, that's not exactly true, but the rest isn't really pertainent to this thread.
The spew has ruined the sport for me.
I get plenty of enjoyment out of the game, otherwise I wouldn't do it.

My mistake. I thought when you posted that "The spew has ruined the sport for me." that you weren't having fun.

That's got me confused as well.

Which is it, briansnat? Is Geocaching ruined for you, or do you still get plenty of enjoyment out of it? Those two comments of yours sound mutually exclusive to me ... or ... is there maybe some third answer, some conceivable option which I might have a hope of understanding, under which it can be both?

Even though I got frustrated yesterday and gave up offering you suggestions, I'm still following along. I am trying to get a mental grasp on your point of view, but it's hard to hit a moving target.

The spew has ruined the sport for me.
I get plenty of enjoyment out of the game, otherwise I wouldn't do it.

That's got me confused as well.

Which is it, briansnat? Is Geocaching ruined for you, or do you still get plenty of enjoyment out of it? Those two comments of yours sound mutually exclusive to me ... or ... is there maybe some third answer, some conceivable option which I might have a hope of understanding, under which it can be both?

Even though I got frustrated yesterday and gave up offering you suggestions, I'm still following along. I am trying to get a mental grasp on your point of view, but it's hard to hit a moving target.

I'd like to join the dogpile.

I've been following along too and as I've stated in my first post to this thread, I'm not understanding where Brian is coming from given my own observations.

Boo hoo hoo! My goodness, I've never heard so many cry babies. As many of the more enlightened ones have stated, "if you don't like them, dont hunt them."
Maybe you can help me with this one. How do you know you aren't going to like the cache until you've actually hunted it?
Maybe you can help the rest of us first: What leads you to believe that a guarantee of knowing whether you're going to like a cache before you hunt it is a reasonable expectation?
Who is asking for a guarantee? There have always been disappointing caches. Does it have to be 9 out of every 10?
For me, it's one out of ten. (Darn that old DNF! :( )

I wonder what's different between you and I that causes me to have tons of fun playing this game and you to get almost no enjoyment out of it.

I have to agree, In the past a cache would take a person to a cool location, come locations were beter than others. Then I could look for interesting Sig. Itmes to collect and I could leave one of my Sig items.Now when you get to a cache there is no room for a sig. Item. and you get to compare how cool this lamp post is vs. the one you found 10 minutes earlier. Or you might event get to check the litter at the dumpster you just found, In my book any that places a cache at a dumpster is an idiot.

Does anyone remember sig items other than me.?

I no longer have spend money on them, there is not place to leave them.

Edited by JohnnyVegas

GEOCACHING = HIDE & SEEK

Hey, you're close... It's HIKE and seek! :D

Is it hike and seek if you are in a wheelchair? :D

Is it hike and seek if you have asthma or C.O.P.D.? :D

Is it hike and seek if you any number of special needs that might keep you from getting down the trail? :D

No. In geocaching you HIDE something using a GPS and others SEEK it using their GPS.

If you only like hiking caches, a wally-world cache probably wouldn't be a great CHOICE for you, unless maybe you broke your leg and you just needed a caching fix. :D

Maybe someone needs to start whatever-it-takes-to-float-your-boat caching so folks can find caches that ONLY cater to their own sense of entitlement and expectation. :(

I've said this before: My free time is literally worth $100 per hour to me. (NO, I don't get paid a c-note per hour.) That is just what it is worth to ME.

So, when I INVEST my free time, I tryyy to get the best return for my investment. To ME, it makes no sense to complain about a cache I didn't like if I didn't take the time to research my investment of my quality time.

I get GREAT returns on my investments of quality time for caching, because I take a moment (usually on a break while working) to check the location, satellite image, logs, and any word of mouth on my local forums about the cache(s) I intend to hunt. I also attend a lot of events where a wealth of information about local caches can be found.

I mainly cache on trips, but when I go outta my way to hunt a local cache, you can bet that the word of mouth on it is good.

It works for me and I can suffer the caches I wouldn't enjoy to live because I don't CHOOSE to hunt them. :D

Edited by Snoogans
Is there is something wrong with me and I'm really supposed to be thrilled by parking lots?

If you're using geocaching only as a tour guide, then yes, something is wrong. There's much better ways to make sure you see some really cool out of the way places when you travel (or at home).

If you're using geocaching as a way to play a game with the GPS, to be in on a secret, to find hidden containers and sign the log, to log your finds online, to trade trinkets when available, as an excuse to get off the couch or out of the hotel room when traveling, then I'm sure you'll have fun with almost any cache. You won't be thrilled by the parking lot, but you'll be thrilled by the cache.

The really good ones you find will be a bonus, not the expectation.

But if you're expecting every cache to entertain you and to take you to special places 9 out of 10 times without doing ANY filtering or planning, then that's okay too, I'm not going to tell you how you should play. But I won't feel sorry when I see you complaining about your disappointment in the forums.

I have to agree, In the past a cache would take a person to a cool location, come locations were beter than others. Then I could look for interesting Sig. Itmes to collect and I could leave one of my Sig items.Now when you get to a cache there is no room for a sig. Item. and you get to compare how cool this lamp post is vs. the one you found 10 minutes earlier. Or you might event get to check the litter at the dumpster you just found, In my book any that places a cache at a dumpster is an idiot.

JV: I was curious, so I looked at your profile.

You have placed 97 caches yourself, 49 of which are micros(possibly more; some are listed as unknown size). Presumably it was okay with you that you placed these micros; why begrudge others who like to place micros?

Of your last 80 finds, 41 were micros (possibly more; some are listed as unknown size). Presumably it was okay with you that you chose to find these micros; why begrudge others who like to find micros? Presumably you are sufficiently familiar with this website to understand how to remove micros from your plans should you prefer not to hunt them; why hunt micros anyway if you don’t like the fact that there is no room for a signature item in a micro?

Presumably, then, your beef is not about cache size at all. Presumably your complaint has to do with cache hiders whose hiding style is not of your own preferred artistic taste.

Question: Is this really the proper thread to moan about not being sufficiently entertained by your fellow cacher’s level of amateur creativity? This thread is neither about your sense of entitlement regarding minimum entertainment expectations nor your resulting disappointment. This thread is about cache container size, specifically micros.

In my book any that places a cache at a dumpster is an idiot.

In my book you are far more likely to convince others to see your point of view by presenting them with facts, logic, reason and carefully considered opinions than you are by calling them insulting names.

Is there is something wrong with me and I'm really supposed to be thrilled by parking lots?

... But if you're expecting every cache to entertain you and to take you to special places 9 out of 10 times without doing ANY filtering or planning, then that's okay too, I'm not going to tell you how you should play. But I won't feel sorry when I see you complaining about your disappointment in the forums.

This aversion to pre-caching homework is another thing that has me confused.

I myself particularly enjoy the planning stage. I like the browsing and the reading. I enjoy poking around the descriptions, logs, maps, satellite photos and such. I learn about what's out there, I look at how my potential targets might fit in to my travels that day, and it gets me in the mood to enjoy hunting those caches. Every enjoyable pastime has its form of foreplay.

When one sees that a caching friend has pert-near 25,000 forum posts to his name, one might reasonably assume that he actually enjoys spending time – quite a bit of time – in front of a computer screen reading about his favorite hobby.

It's another apparent contradiction that I am sure is just some kind of misinterpretation on my part.

My mistake. I thought when you posted that "The spew has ruined the sport for me." that you weren't having fun....

I think I get it. It's like age creeping up on you. You ain't ready to give up on life, but the fun you used to have trying things like learning how to do a half pipe on a skateboard slowly become ways to break things on you that you didn't think broke. Alas, while some parts of life are less fun, others open up.

Nevermind. That has nothing to do with micro's after all.

It appears that your angst regarding micros is that they don't allow room for sig items (typically). Have you tried simpy leaving micros out of your PQs? This would pretty much gaurantee that the caches you went after had room for sig items.

Obviously you haven't been reading my posts. I've very happy with the geocaching scene at home. It's still very old school here and excellent, thoughtfully placed caches are in the majority.

But there is a second issue. A big part of what I enjoyed about the sport was discovering interesting places when I traveled. These days, in too many areas that I've traveled to, the guardrail/strip mall micro is now the rule rather than the exception. It's to the point where at times I don't even bother any more.

This aversion to pre-caching homework is another thing that has me confused

It was the sense of surprise and discovery that I enjoyed so much. Load the GPS up with waypoints and go. What cool place am I going to see next? It was akin to a tour guide of little known, but interesting places written by locals and it was a great way to really discover the places I was visiting.

The need to research every cache hunt to me takes the fun out of it. Besides if I'm researching every cache hunt, where is the sense of surprise and adventure? I already have a good idea as to what I'm going to experience.

But if you're expecting every cache to entertain you and to take you to special places 9 out of 10 times without doing ANY filtering or planning, then that's okay too, I'm not going to tell you how you should play. But I won't feel sorry when I see you complaining about your disappointment in the forums.

Entertainment is the entire point of this sport, no? At one time I *could* use geocaching to take me to special places 9 times out of 10 without any filtering. In many areas I can't anymore, hence my entire point. I have to change my game to accommodate the numbers hounds.

Edited by briansnat

Obviously you haven't been reading my posts. I've very happy with the geocaching scene at home. It's still very old school here and excellent, thoughtfully placed caches are in the majority.

But there is a second issue. A big part of what I enjoyed about the sport was discovering interesting places when I traveled. These days, in too many areas that I've traveled to, the guardrail/strip mall micro is now the rule rather than the exception. It's to the point where at times I don't even bother any more.

Yes, I have been reading your posts. Carefully. Which is why I made the Waymarking suggestion. Why haven’t you responded to that very reasonable suggestion, one which was thoughtfully and precisely tailored to your exact complaints? Obviously you haven't been reading my posts.

This aversion to pre-caching homework is another thing that has me confused

It was the sense of surprise and discovery that I enjoyed so much. Load the GPS up with waypoints and go. What cool place am I going to see next? It was akin to a tour guide of little known, but interesting places written by locals and it was a great way to really discover the places I was visiting.

The need to research every cache hunt to me takes the fun out of it. Besides if I'm researching every cache hunt, where is the sense of surprise and adventure?

I already have a good idea as to what I'm going to experience.

I research my own cache outings, yet I constantly experience pleasant surprise and adventure.

You’re obviously not playing the same game as me. What you describe has no relation to my relatively extensive caching experiences. It’s fun for me; I only wish it could be just as much fun for you.

None of that explains why you are willing to rack up 25,000 forum posts, yet are simultaneously unwilling to spend a few seconds per cache reading up on what flavor it might be instead of doing what you already know will disappoint you 9 out of 10 times.

You just admitted that by first reading up a bit you "already have a good idea as to what [you’re] going to experience." Isn’t that all you need? Why do you refuse to use such a powerful tool? Why do you choose to be disappointed?

Sbell is right. It’s hard to work up any sympathy for someone who refuses to lift a finger to help himself.

Yes, I have been reading your posts. Carefully. Which is why I made the Waymarking suggestion. Why haven’t you responded to that very reasonable suggestion, one which was thoughtfully and precisely tailored to your exact complaints? Obviously you haven't been reading my posts.
Some people refuse to stop using GC.com as a tour guide in favor of WM.com. I'm not sure why this is true, since as you've pointed out, WM.com (and other sites) is much better suited to this purpose. (Heck, a person could even identify cool spots on WM.com and hit some caches while they are in those areas.) The only thing I can imagine is that the people who insist on being displeased looking for a geocache instead of being pleased by a waymark do it because they don't get a smiley for a waymark. If people weren't so concerned with their numbers, perhaps they would have more fun.
Which is why I made the Waymarking suggestion.

You just admitted that by first reading up a bit you "already have a good idea as to what [you’re] going to experience." Isn’t that all you need? Why do you refuse to use such a powerful tool? Why do you choose to be disappointed?

ome people refuse to stop using GC.com as a tour guide in favor of WM.com. I

Just what I've been saying all along. Move to Waymarking, do more research. I have to change the way I

enjoy the game. My way of enjoying the game is is apparently no longer a valid one.

Caching for numbers is a perfectly valid way to play. Using geocaching as vehicle for discovery and a tour guide? Tough cookies.

Edited by briansnat
Caching for numbers is a perfectly valid way to play. Using geocaching as vehicle for discovery and a tour guide? Tough cookies.
I think that you've summed it up pretty well, from the perspective of someone that does not want to do any preliminary research/sorting. You are basically unhappy that geocaching isn't doing for you something that it isn't really designed to do without preliminary research and/or sorting.

4) Break up all of the books in genres so we don't have to wade through the style we don't like.

5) Allow third parties to rate the books--and compile said titles without fear of litigation--so we can get to the books most likely favored by those who like the same kind of books we do.

4) I'm sure there would be someone who would complain they generally don't like westerns but there are some good western that they would miss if they ignored all the westerns so breaking up the books by genre won't work for them.

5) It would be cool if everyone who read (or even checked out) a book could write a little log that was added to the card catalog - sort of like:

icon_smile.gif January 28 by tozainamboku (4000 books read)

This was a great book and I recommend it, even though it is a western :laughing: TFTB

Edited by tozainamboku
I think that you've summed it up pretty well, from the perspective of someone that does not want to do any preliminary research/sorting. You are basically unhappy that geocaching isn't doing for you something that it isn't really designed to do without preliminary research and/or sorting.

At one time it worked perfectly for me, until the numbers people hijacked the sport.

Edited by briansnat

I like micros and everything else. We live in an urban environment, so micros are very plentiful. They take us to places we never saw before or knew existed.

One or two have been in nasty places, but on the whole - good times!

If you don't like them, don't search for them. My family will look for any hides of any variety.

My Grandson really wants to do a night cahce in the boonies. This granny gets spooked in the boonies at nightk, so he's out of luck. That is my only pickiness. :laughing:

At one time it worked perfectly for me, until the numbers people hijacked the sport.

No one "hijacked" anything. Just your sour grapes.

It's no about you.

Maybe we should have a rating system that will make the top 20 caches within a 10 mile radius on their own cache page. Then the caches with lower ratings will be listed as closest and have the ratings only to be viewable by the cache owner. This will take the so called "Shame" from posting a less than quality cache be felt by the owners.

It's no about you.

So I actually like these caches? Interesting.

It's no about you.

So I actually like these caches? Interesting.

Brian, it doesn't matter.

Even if I did research, it can only go so far. Maps and satellite images don't tell the whole story. I've found unique caches in mall parking lots, I've found outstanding guardrail caches, I found fascinating urban caches, I've found interesting caches hidden behind McDonalds. These are all caches that I probably would have ruled out if I went by the sat photos and maps.

I don't think anybody here will say that more memorable caches are a bad thing .

I can agree with you here. People can underestimate the value of the microcache.

Geocaching has actually helped my "team" learn more about the area. We recently moved to a part of the city that was totally unfamiliar, but with many caches in the vicinity, most of them micro. Hunting them has helped us become more familiar with the streets and landmarks, not to mention we've found several that offered terrific views or a memorable location.

Even if I did research, it can only go so far. Maps and satellite images don't tell the whole story. I've found unique caches in mall parking lots, I've found outstanding guardrail caches, I found fascinating urban caches, I've found interesting caches hidden behind McDonalds. These are all caches that I probably would have ruled out if I went by the sat photos and maps.

I don't think anybody here will say that more memorable caches are a bad thing .

I can agree with you here. People can underestimate the value of the microcache.

Geocaching has actually helped my "team" learn more about the area. We recently moved to a part of the city that was totally unfamiliar, but with many caches in the vicinity, most of them micro. Hunting them has helped us become more familiar with the streets and landmarks, not to mention we've found several that offered terrific views or a memorable location.

Which is why I made the Waymarking suggestion.

ome people refuse to stop using GC.com as a tour guide in favor of WM.com. I

Just what I've been saying all along. Move to Waymarking, do more research. I have to change the way I

enjoy the game. My way of enjoying the game is is apparently no longer a valid one.

You are still insisting that Geocaching serve as a tour guide for you. Geocaching was never intended to take the place of a tour guide. Interesting places tend to be a welcome part of the game, and I enjoy a cool location as much as anybody, but "tour guide" doesn't appear prominently in any of the charter documentaion I've seen. Geocaching was, and is, a public listing of descriptions and lat/long coords compiled so that GPS enthusiasts can hunt and locate each other's hidden containers. Maybe it worked for you as a tour guide at some point in the past, but that was an unintentional, if welcome, effect. The rest of us are Geocaching. What you are demanding is something else.

Your lament that Geocaching fails to consistently present you with acceptably interesting views or points of interest makes about as much sense as if I were to gripe that Waymarking doesn't provide me with any trade swag or total Waymark counts. So what if that's not what it was designed for? Don't tell me I have to change my wants and expectations! I want my golf balls and McToys when I visit a Waymark! I want my Waymark Smilies! My way of enjoying Waymarking is apparently not a valid one.

Waymarking for interesting locations is a perfectly valid way to play. Using Waymarking as vehicle for smilies and a way to trade cheap trinkets? Tough cookies.

You are still insisting that Geocaching serve as a tour guide for you. Geocaching was never intended to take the place of a tour guide. Interesting places tend to be a welcome part of the game, and I enjoy a cool location as much as anybody, but "tour guide" doesn't appear prominently in any of the charter documentaion I've seen.

...the language of location.......

I've seen that a few times...........before benchmarks, Waymarking, Wherigo etc.....

Would seem the location was intended to be at least as a large amount of it as the container hunt.

You are still insisting that Geocaching serve as a tour guide for you. Geocaching was never intended to take the place of a tour guide.

Actually if you read the early posts of Dave Ulmer, that is exactly what he had in mind.

You are still insisting that Geocaching serve as a tour guide for you. Geocaching was never intended to take the place of a tour guide. Interesting places tend to be a welcome part of the game, and I enjoy a cool location as much as anybody, but "tour guide" doesn't appear prominently in any of the charter documentaion I've seen.

I've seen that a few times...........before benchmarks, Waymarking, Wherigo etc.....

Would seem the location was intended to be at least as a large amount of it as the container hunt.

If Geocaching's primary purpose is to play tour guide then why don't I see "tour guide," or any other words to that effect, anywhere in the Getting Started FAQ?

If Geocaches are only intended to be placed in substantially interesting locations then why don't I see "substantially interesting locations," or any other words to that effect, in the Guide to Hiding a Geocache ?

If playing local tour guide or limiting caches only to boffo locations is Groundspeak's agenda for the hobby, then why aren't those standards used by the reviewers when choosing which caches to list?

I'll tell you why. Because the creativity, challenge, interest, difficulty, beauty, silliness, historical relevance, physical demand, local interest, theme, differentness or sameness of a cache are all strictly up to the cache owner. If he wants to play tour guide, that's up to him (and if you want to happily discover this detail about his cache by reading the description while choosing which caches to hunt, that's up to you). If he prefers instead to present some other 'non-tourguide' idea, challenge, or theme, that's his choice too. If it is a container in a public place, if it has a logbook, if it meets the practical guidelines, and if you can locate it with a GPS receiver, then it's a Geocache.

If it is strictly a fascinating place to visit, OTOH, then it is a Waymark -- or if it's not, it should be.

If it is strictly a fascinating place to visit, OTOH, then it is a Waymark -- or if it's not, it should be.

It's obvious that you don't understand Waymarking. I'm not surprised.

Instead of insulting and attacking me personally, why not enlighten me? Tell me exactly why Waymarking would NOT provide a more dependable list of tourguide locations for you to visit than these 9 out of 10 geocaches that persistently keep disappointing you.

I'm only trying to understand your point of view on this, Briansnat. It was your public complaint that prompted me to do so. If my doing so is bothering you so much that you feel the need to insult me, then I'll happily drop it. Your choice.

You have placed 97 caches yourself, 49 of which are micros(possibly more; some are listed as unknown size). Presumably it was okay with you that you placed these micros; why begrudge others who like to place micros?

Of your last 80 finds, 41 were micros (possibly more; some are listed as unknown size). Presumably it was okay with you that you chose to find these micros; why begrudge others who like to find micros? Presumably you are sufficiently familiar with this website to understand how to remove micros from your plans should you prefer not to hunt them; why hunt micros anyway if you don’t like the fact that there is no room for a signature item in a micro?

Presumably, then, your beef is not about cache size at all. Presumably your complaint has to do with cache hiders whose hiding style is not of your own preferred artistic taste.

Question: Is this really the proper thread to moan about not being sufficiently entertained by your fellow cacher’s level of amateur creativity? This thread is neither about your sense of entitlement regarding minimum entertainment expectations nor your resulting disappointment. This thread is about cache container size, specifically micros.

In my book you are far more likely to convince others to see your point of view by presenting them with facts, logic, reason and carefully considered opinions than you are by calling them insulting names.

You are missing the point. were I am located most of the cache that are being place are micros.

A large number of these are being placed in areas that will support large caches, while a micro can be placed in a area that can support a large cache, a large cache can not be place in an area that can only support a micro.

The micros that I have placed are in locations that will not support a large cache. It is not so much of and issue of how a micro is hidden as much as where it is hidden.

Of your last 80 finds, 41 were micros

This is a list of cache placements within 20 miles of my location in the last 12 months

Micros 384

Small 286

Large 002

Well, with what is being hidden I really do not have much of choice in what I look for.

You have placed 97 caches yourself,

No I have 67 active caches36 are micros, 31 are larger than micros

What is so exciting about being taken to a dumster?

What is so wonderfull about bushes full of used needles and condoms(this caches was less than a day old, the needles and condoms had beed there for some time)

What is so great about a cache in a sewer drain?

As far as name calling, I call 'em as I see 'em.

I would not call placing a cache in some bushes were junkies and hookers hang out a smart thing to do.

Placing a cache next to a dumpster is almost as bad. And these are not caches that are being place by noobies, these were all micro trash placed by vetran cachers.

Not every place needs a cache

Edited by JohnnyVegas

I wouldn't use a corporate slogan as the cornerstone of any argument. Too much implied.

I mean every cache (even "bad" ones) have a location.

You are still insisting that Geocaching serve as a tour guide for you. Geocaching was never intended to take the place of a tour guide.

Actually if you read the early posts of Dave Ulmer, that is exactly what he had in mind.

Interesting. His first post regarding the hobby:

Now that SA is off we can start a worldwide Stash Game!! With Non-SA accuracy…should be easy to find someone's stash from waypoint information.

Waypoints of secret stashes could be shared on the Internet, people could navigate to the stashes and get some stuff. The only rule would for stashes is: Get some Stuff, Leave some Stuff!!

You will note that he didn't type 'The only rules for stashes is Get some Stuff, Leave some Stuff, and only hide them in places that Briansnat would approve of.'

You might note also that the original stash that he hid was not in a boffo locale. His post regarding that stash:

Well, I did it, created the first stash hunt stash and here are the coordinates:

N 45 17.460 W122 24.800

Lots of goodies for the finders. Look for a black plastic bucket buried most of the way in the ground. Take some stuff, leave some stuff! Record it all in the log book. Have Fun!

Stash contains: Delorme Topo USA software, videos, books, food, money, and a slingshot!

I guess, since you want us to use his model, that we should start digging holes for caches to be hidden in and filling them with food.

It sure is. When you list a new geocache, you give it's location in the form of coordinates. Other people enter those coordinates into their GPSrs and go find your cache.

Location is part of every cache hunt.

It's obvious that you don't understand Waymarking. I'm not surprised.
I'm thinking that either you don't understand how Waymarking works and you missed KBI's previous explanation of it or you are pretending you don't know and acting as if that post doesn't exist.

Either way, Waymarking allows you to ignore those categories that don't appeal to you and mark as favorites those categories that you believe are awesome.

You are missing the point. were I am located most of the cache that are being place are micros.

A large number of these are being placed in areas that will support large caches, while a micro can be placed in a area that can support a large cache, a large cache can not be place in an area that can only support a micro.

Every one of those micros have something in common. They were placed in locations that could support a cache and there was no cache already there. If you think that there needs to be more large caches hidden, go hide some. Then, have an event and challenge your friends to get out and hide some large caches. The micros that I have placed are in locations that will not support a large cache. It is not so much of and issue of how a micro is hidden as much as where it is hidden.
This is a list of cache placements within 20 miles of my location in the last 12 months

Micros 384

Small 286

Large 002

Well, with what is being hidden I really do not have much of choice in what I look for.

We all have choices.

What is so wonderfull about bushes full of used needles and condoms(this caches was less than a day old, the needles and condoms had beed there for some time)

I would not call placing a cache in some bushes were junkies and hookers hang out a smart thing to do.

Placing a cache next to a dumpster is almost as bad. And these are not caches that are being place by noobies, these were all micro trash placed by vetran cachers.

OMG. If I were you, I'd move away. Edited by sbell111

Every one of those micros have something in common. They were placed in locations that could support a cache and there was no cache already there. If you think that there needs to be more large caches hidden, go hide some. Then, have an event and challenge your friends to get out and hide some large caches. The micros that I have placed are in locations that will not support a large cache. It is not so much of and issue of how a micro is hidden as much as where it is hidden.

Micros 384

Small 286

Large 002

We all have choices.

OMG. If I were you, I'd move away.

Johnny, I'm telling you, you'd get better results by urinating in the ocean. The simple fact is that these people see the detrimental activites for sure. The other simple fact is that they care more about their self-interest than the game.

Sadly my belief is that because of this, many more ABDSP's will have to occur to cause constructive change.

That is really too bad.

Micros 384

Small 286

Large 002

We all have choices.

Johnny, I'm telling you, you'd get better results by urinating in the ocean. The simple fact is that these people see the detrimental activites for sure. The other simple fact is that they care more about their self-interest than the game.

Sadly my belief is that because of this, many more ABDSP's will have to occur to cause constructive change.

That is really too bad.

What detrimental activities? JV cited two issues, micros placed where larger caches could be placed and caches placed in unsatisfying locations. How are either of these issues 'detrimental'? How does this thread have anything to do with ABDSP?

The forums are better when people don't try to twist every thread to make a statement toward their favorite issue.

Micros 384

Small 286

Large 002

We all have choices.

That is really too bad.

What detrimental activities? JV cited two issues, micros placed where larger caches could be placed and caches placed in unsatisfying locations. How are either of these issues 'detrimental'? How does this thread have anything to do with ABDSP?

The forums are better when people don't try to twist every thread to make a statement toward their favorite issue.

In my opinion, "Micro trash", not that you recognize it, is in fact detrimental. Obviously ABDSP has nothing directly to do with this thread. It does however very well serve as an EXAMPLE of what I believe that geocachers with your narrow self-serving view are doing to this game.

I think that the forums are better when opposing views are posted.

Edited by Team Cotati

Correct me if I'm wrong, but last time I checked Dave Ulmer didn't start geocaching.com. :)

And from what I hear, his first cache didn't lead to a very interesting location.

Dave is an interesting character for sure. A pioneer of our sport to be revered for that accomplishment, (I'd love to meet him) BUT he is NOT a founder of geocaching as it exists today. From all reports, he doesn't even participate. Hasn't in YEARS. He has more or less moved on.

Geocaching is hide & seek.... Not hide in and aesthetically pleasing spot with adequate parking, restrooms, no muggles, spectacular views, or whatever it takes to float your boat that day and seek.

When I was a kid. We played hide and seek ANYWHERE. Go figure that's what is happening here. :laughing:

Micros 384

Small 286

Large 002

I cannot accept your “I have no choice” argument.

If you limit your caching to within 20 miles of your home, then you have chosen that limit.

If you feel some compelling requirement to find a cache just because it is nearby, then you have chosen that requirement.

I have no idea. But then again I have never tried to promote such hides. I don’t particularly like them myself, but I’m not the Creativity Police.

Actually I found a cache in a sewer drain once. Took me three visits and more than a year. That was one of the most satisfying finds I ever did – the cache description was cleverly worded, the cache challenged my brain, it taught me (once again) to question my assumptions, and I got to meet the owner. It is a micro near a parking lot.

Also one of our local cachers who is legendary for his creativity made excellent use of a sewer drain a while back. I'd love to tell you more about it, but I can't bring myself to spoil the fun for anyone who hasn't found it yet. It is also a micro near a parking lot.

Doesn’t bother me, but good luck with the Mods on that.

I would not call seeking such a cache a smart thing either. At what point did you turn around and leave? I’d have left as soon as I felt uncomfortable or stopped having fun.

Not every place needs a cache.

And not every cache needs to be found by every cacher. Exercise wisely your power of choice – just don’t try to impose your preferences on me.

If you limit your caching to within 20 miles of your home, then you have chosen that limit.

I did not say that I limited my caching to an area of 20 miles, You said you read my profile, if you understood what was in my profile you sould have that my caching area covers about 100 miles, this includes cache that I own.

Why would I want to limit my caching to an area of more than 20 miles from my home, if you would like to send me $400.00 for gas I will search caches in a larger area it that will make you happy :laughing:

QUOTE(JohnnyVegas @ Jan 29 2008, 12:53 AM)

Doesn’t bother me, but good luck with the Mods on that.

I did not call any one an idiot by name, so I do not see a problem with the mods. At best I said there are

some caches hidden by idiots. If some wants to assume that I am calling them an idiot who an I to argue with them :)

I think most people would find there is a percentage if idiots involved in just about any activity.

I would not call seeking such a cache a smart thing either. At what point did you turn around and leave? I’d have left as soon as I felt uncomfortable or stopped having fun.

Well unless the cache page says

"the cache is in bushes full of needles and use condoms" there is not way to know what you will find

untill you get there.

Also, I did not say I looked for the cache when I got there, but I did call the police as there was a large number of live shotgun shells in the bushes.

Edited by JohnnyVegas