Garmin Colorado feature requests

I got the chance to play with a beta version of the Garmin Colorado at the Groundspeak/Garmin Vegas mega-event today. Too cool! This unit is going to be a hit. B)

Unfortunately, the text on the Colorado is a bit small and would be hard to read for older users and for those with vision problems.

While I was there, I put in a suggestion to Groundspeak and to the Garmin design engineer (obviously a rockin' cool dude!) that they include a overlay "zoom window" feature for enlarging the text so that the text size could be enlarged to suit the user's vision.

A good idea... BUT that would change the text from hard-to-read to "a bit awkward to read" with the large text trying to display on the narrow-ish screen. It may also need a clearer, more readable font as well.

How to make it elegant for people with "older eyes" to use? Hmmm...

Heyyyyy...! (lightbulb goes off over brain) B)

(Why not have a feature that auto-detects whether the unit is being held vertically or horizontally - and when it is held horizontally, the text both auto-adjusts to "landscape" mode AND gives the user an option to enlarge the text?

Maybe one can dream that the text would enlarge automatically whenever the unit is held horizontally to START with? Then the user can specify just HOW large that default test size should be from then on when the unit held in horizontal mode! B)

Also... if the Colorado was able to detect if it is being held horizontally, it could display a bigger map as well, a wonderfully scrollable map.

Oh wow, that can just WORK. :P

I know enough about industrial design to know that this idea would take a heck of a firmware re-adjustment, obviously too late to put into the Colorado as it is now.

Still THAT feature would definitely raise the coolness of this unit to an even higher level than it already is. It would serve the older user and the more visually-impaired folks better than any other GPS unit in existence.

Man, is it fun to dream or what? :P

What's YOUR idea for a dream Colorado feature? Betcha got one better than mine! B)

(Legal stuff: I, Sparrowhawk, hereby give up all claims legal, monetary or otherwise, to this idea as detailed above. Garmin does not have to worry about me getting all lawyer-ish and saying: "Hey, I want some of the profits you made from using my idea!" etc. But I have to admit, SOME sort of small acknowledgement would be kinda cool, if this brainstorm IS ever taken seriously.)

Edited by Sparrowhawk

If you had played with it a bit longer, you would have noticed that you can set the font size for text on the map to one of three different sizes.

The text in data fields can hardly be larger, since it will mess up everything in the layout if they are like that all the time. Moving a pointer around on screens other than the map I don't believe in.

Let me be the first to "second" the request for a 3 axis compass!

As to orientation, though, I think a separate toggle button would be the easiest, if it's something you'd change often (like in & out of the car...). Water protected, of course.

Then, all seriousness aside, let's change the name to the Garmin Kansas... you probably pick up a lot more satellites in the vast dome of blue out there!

(edited. I wish I could see my typos the first four times I proofread my post...

Oh dang. somebody beat me to sconding the 3 -axis compass. Let me be the second to second it then...)

Edited by TomOfTarsus

But more detailed topographic maps have nothing to do with the Colorado, right? That's a mapping issue, entirely. Or is there something I don't understand here?

If such maps do exist for the entire US, then it's just a question about Garmin making some kind of licensing agreement, so that they can integrate them into their mapping system, and you are all set.

The Colorado, like other Garmin GPS units, can already display these maps, where they exist.

Is there anything wrong with getting a Rino (or perhaps a pair of them makes more sense) then?

Nope! I just want the latest and greatest GPSr features as well as the radios (and the currently non-existent 3 axis compass as well.) I want it ALL!

But then, maybe this one coming out will drop the Rino prices along with the 60/76 model prices, and my dear Minister of Finances will start to see things my way! B)

And yeah, pairs do make more sense...

If you want it all, then why not get them all? It's not likely that one single unit will be the best for all purposes.

Says me, who has 13 GPS units by now...

Don't like clutter, can't convince my dear Minister of Finance to get one, much less a bunch of devices!

Plus I can't quite figure out if the problem is that they can't put all the latest tech in one package, or that they won't. Just me. I'm in no real hurry. But it seems like a 3 axis compasss is not out of the question. As well, the radios really can't change much due to US gov't restrcitions, so a Colorado/Rino shouldn't be too difficult either.

Enjoy your 13 GPS units! Wow...

Touch screen so we don't need the big ugly button.

I hope not. I'd like something that is a little more durable and works with gloves better than a touch screen. I have an old Palm that I take with me in the field and I hate having to take gloves on and off to finger touch or pull out a stylus. That and I notice the calibration is always off given changes in temp and crud I probably get down inside the screen sensors.

As long as the Colorado's button/roller is durable and can be used with gloves (I've read some reviews that say it is) then I'm happy with what they did.

3-axis compass on the other hand was a big miss in my opinion but that's not really a deal breaker as long as the unit can take GPX files from GSAK so I can eliminate having to carry a Palm device. From what I've read so far that seems to be the case.

GO$Rs

If you want it all, then why not get them all? It's not likely that one single unit will be the best for all purposes.

Says me, who has 13 GPS units by now...

I might have you beat. I just took a quick mental inventory and counted 14, but I counted a CF GPS for my Pocket PC. Not sure if that counts. I suppose I could sell a few and buy a Colorado when they are released. Tried to buy one from Marine Products Outlet but I got this reply.

“We regret to inform you that the Garmin Colorado 400T that you ordered is out of stock and not available until sometime in the 1st quarter. We have not received a specific date yet as to when they will ship.”

Well, the display on the Colorado is still larger than some of the lower class P&S cameras. But using the GPS for image review is less interesting nowadays, when serious cameras have displays in the 3" range. Unfortunately the Colorado displays the images standing up, which implies a ratio near 1:2, in spite of cameras having a 3:2 or 4:3 ratio. Viewing images on the widescreen nüvi 760 makes more sense.

My cameras use CF cards, so it doesn't matter to me. I know the Mark III models now have both CF and SD, but they cost a lot...

Edited by apersson850

Touch screen so we don't need the big ugly button.

I hope not. I'd like something that is a little more durable and works with gloves better than a touch screen. I have an old Palm that I take with me in the field and I hate having to take gloves on and off to finger touch or pull out a stylus. That and I notice the calibration is always off given changes in temp and crud I probably get down inside the screen sensors.

As long as the Colorado's button/roller is durable and can be used with gloves (I've read some reviews that say it is) then I'm happy with what they did.

3-axis compass on the other hand was a big miss in my opinion but that's not really a deal breaker as long as the unit can take GPX files from GSAK so I can eliminate having to carry a Palm device. From what I've read so far that seems to be the case.

GO$Rs

Ever used an iPhone or iTouch? nuff said.

Actually both. I absolutely love these touch interfaces but I can't imagine taking something that fragile outdoors and using it with heavy winter gloves in the middle of a snow storm or in the pouring rain.

I also looked at the iPhone/iPod touch environmental specifications and the operating temperature ratings are from 32F-95F. Based on experiences I've had with other touch screens (Palm, PocketPC, Car GPS) I'm guessing much of that is because of the limitations of the touch screen. I spend a lot of time outside when it is less than 32F and if I leave the GPS on the dash of my car I'm sure it'll get way over 95F. In either case I'd be pretty upset if my GPS stopped working because the touch screen couldn't deal.

I stand by my original statement. If you can find a touch screen that operates from 5F-158F (Garmin's operating temp), works with gloves on, is waterproof (IPX-7) and shockproof then by all means Garmin missed the boat. But I don't think that exists on a consumer grade product today.

GO$Rs

My current GPSr is a Magellan Explorist XL. Now, having said that, I was waiting for the Tritons 2000 to come out because I wanted the 3 axis compass and a touch screen. I'm tired of having to deal with a toggle. But after reading all the poor reviews I'm back to waiting for those features to become available in a quality unit before I make the jump.

I got the chance to play with a beta version of the Garmin Colorado at the Groundspeak/Garmin Vegas mega-event today. Too cool! This unit is going to be a hit. :)

Unfortunately, the text on the Colorado is a bit small and would be hard to read for older users and for those with vision problems.

While I was there, I put in a suggestion to Groundspeak and to the Garmin design engineer (obviously a rockin' cool dude!) that they include a overlay "zoom window" feature for enlarging the text so that the text size could be enlarged to suit the user's vision.

A good idea... BUT that would change the text from hard-to-read to "a bit awkward to read" with the large text trying to display on the narrow-ish screen. It may also need a clearer, more readable font as well.

How to make it elegant for people with "older eyes" to use? Hmmm...

Heyyyyy...! (lightbulb goes off over brain) :anicute:

(Why not have a feature that auto-detects whether the unit is being held vertically or horizontally - and when it is held horizontally, the text both auto-adjusts to "landscape" mode AND gives the user an option to enlarge the text?

Maybe one can dream that the text would enlarge automatically whenever the unit is held horizontally to START with? Then the user can specify just HOW large that default test size should be from then on when the unit held in horizontal mode! :blink:

Also... if the Colorado was able to detect if it is being held horizontally, it could display a bigger map as well, a wonderfully scrollable map.

Oh wow, that can just WORK. ;)

I know enough about industrial design to know that this idea would take a heck of a firmware re-adjustment, obviously too late to put into the Colorado as it is now.

Still THAT feature would definitely raise the coolness of this unit to an even higher level than it already is. It would serve the older user and the more visually-impaired folks better than any other GPS unit in existence.

Man, is it fun to dream or what? :P

What's YOUR idea for a dream Colorado feature? Betcha got one better than mine! :P

(Legal stuff: I, Sparrowhawk, hereby give up all claims legal, monetary or otherwise, to this idea as detailed above. Garmin does not have to worry about me getting all lawyer-ish and saying: "Hey, I want some of the profits you made from using my idea!" etc. But I have to admit, SOME sort of small acknowledgement would be kinda cool, if this brainstorm IS ever taken seriously.)

I here you about the old eyes. I just had eye surgery and discovered that overnight I could not refocus on my 60 CX quick enough while driving. I bought one of those big screens but it was only marginally helpfull so I took it back. I need a clear highly contrasted font. I was thinking that they could have an option (because everyone will not need it) to turn on a "magnifier"around the cursor. I have seen this on computers where when you move your cursor over an icon for example it bubbles and enlarges and as you move along the image gets smaller in it's wake. The other thing I would love to see is voice command and voice labeling for streets (again, you have to be able to turn it off) so that when you want you can have streets anounced say 100 meters (user adjustable) before.

Shabby.

Actually both. I absolutely love these touch interfaces but I can't imagine taking something that fragile outdoors and using it with heavy winter gloves in the middle of a snow storm or in the pouring rain.

I also looked at the iPhone/iPod touch environmental specifications and the operating temperature ratings are from 32F-95F. Based on experiences I've had with other touch screens (Palm, PocketPC, Car GPS) I'm guessing much of that is because of the limitations of the touch screen. I spend a lot of time outside when it is less than 32F and if I leave the GPS on the dash of my car I'm sure it'll get way over 95F. In either case I'd be pretty upset if my GPS stopped working because the touch screen couldn't deal.

I stand by my original statement. If you can find a touch screen that operates from 5F-158F (Garmin's operating temp), works with gloves on, is waterproof (IPX-7) and shockproof then by all means Garmin missed the boat. But I don't think that exists on a consumer grade product today.

GO$Rs

Touch screens have the same limitations as regular screens, no more, no less. It's true that you won't be able to use regular gloves with them but I think it's a good trade-off considering the amount of time you save having to skip to funtions or letters you want one by one.

In anycase, Garmin WILL move to touch screens some day. It's a certainty because that's where the industry is moving to. So I would say get use to them cause it's coming.

I only wished that they do it sooner since I adapt to tecnology more quickly than the average joe.

Yup. Hate it. I have big fingers, and can't type on the "keyboard" without hitting the wrong key. Gimme buttons.

That's a function of the key size, NOT the technology. If they were to allow for larger keys it would eliminate your objections. Since that's controlled by software, you/Garmin can change it at will. Unlike a hardware button, which if you don't like it, you're stuck with.

Yup. Hate it. I have big fingers, and can't type on the "keyboard" without hitting the wrong key. Gimme buttons.

That's a function of the key size, NOT the technology. If they were to allow for larger keys it would eliminate your objections. Since that's controlled by software, you/Garmin can change it at will. Unlike a hardware button, which if you don't like it, you're stuck with.

I used the Colorado at that event too and I thought that the default screen brightness was too dim. We cranked it up but it was still not as bright/vivid as the current models. Maybe it was an issue with the prototype that we were using. Other than that I did like the unit.

Edited by TrailGators

Sure, Apple is about to release the iPhone/iTouch SDK, allowing such tweaks, but I highly doubt Garmin would open their hardware to 3rd party apps given their iron-fisted approach to map data.

Until cheap lithium ion rechargeables (preferably AA) exist......why bring about all these features, they are such a battery hog, like the first post "automatic text adjustment to orientation"

why not just offer different resolutions and what not within the gps.....that seems simpler, because you always have preference to which way you hold it....if you are constantly changing every minute then no matter what type of battery you have it will drain shortly after

My belief is the best handhelds have good reception/good battery useage/ and lastly a great interface, its much more important to get where your going accurately and without the worry of batteries going down because you forgot to recharge them(or remember spares), than it is to have the more comfortable font

Edited by gratefulHIKE

I used the Colorado at that event too and I thought that the default screen brightness was too dim. We cranked it up but it was still not as bright/vivid as the current models. Maybe it's was an issue with the prototype that we were using. Other than that I did like the unit.

Yes, a DISPLAY-Comparsion (with light on/off) of Colorado --- gpsmap60scx or similar ---eTrex Vista hcx or similar would be fine.

The vista has a more colorful display and is brighter (with full light on) - and the colorado?

Am I the only one who wants audio? Even just a bit of space to play a few mp3 files? I'm not thinking of a replace to an iPod, rather the very cool new Wherigo software. How cool would it to be walking along a trail and suddenly your GPS play a lecture recorded by a local professor on the kind of rock formation you're next to?

Dang cool, that is what I say. :D

the zoo is a nice place to go if you want push button audio to describe the things your looking at, or the car too......

almost makes me want to puke or go back to a paper map

I can think of a thousand different uses for tying audio to a location. I'd like to take my parents around to where they grew up, and record their memories. My kids and grand kids could stand at the exact same spot, and listen to their grandparents and great grandparents stories.

Maybe I'm about to take off up a mountain bike trail, and somebody who has ridden the trail gives me a few pointers before I leave. They leave an audio file at the base of the trail.

Maybe I'd like to wander the fields where the battle of Gettysburg took place, and hear from any number of historians on what took place.

Tying audio to a location, or using software like the new Wherigo system, allows for countless new and innovative ways to train and teach.

There are times when I want to turn off all electronics, and wander out into the wilderness. And there are other times I'd still enjoy learning about the world around me. The ability to tie audio to a location would be very useful.

So, puke all you want, I still want audio.

Am I the only one who wants audio? Even just a bit of space to play a few mp3 files? I'm not thinking of a replace to an iPod, rather the very cool new Wherigo software. How cool would it to be walking along a trail and suddenly your GPS play a lecture recorded by a local professor on the kind of rock formation you're next to?

Dang cool, that is what I say. :D

I don't know if Garmin will add audio since that would compete too much with their Nuvi's. They want people to buy BOTH the car navigation AND trekking units. If they included audio, people can skip buying the auto units since they can get turn by turn directions from just their trekking.

Also, audio is a battery hog.

Sure, Apple is about to release the iPhone/iTouch SDK, allowing such tweaks, but I highly doubt Garmin would open their hardware to 3rd party apps given their iron-fisted approach to map data.

I wasn't talking about opening their hardware to other developers. I was talking about having a setting, for example, that allows for many size choices for the keyboard and other buttons. People will then be able to customize their units to their specs. For example, people with large hands could make their keyboards bigger so that they can type easily. The point here is that with software buttons, you can easily change things whereas with hardware buttons, you’re stuck.

I’ll give you another example, imagine being able to put the most useful functions for YOU on the front page of the device. Or change the font or button sizes, colors, shapes, positions. Anything is possible when you have software buttons. If you like the button to be on the bottom of the device instead of the top? No problem, just drag it down. You want the buttons for your right hand instead of left? No problem, hit a key and the positions change. Do you get what I’m getting at?

Garmin can just put it in their unit software and it's done.

Edited by jcc123
I here you about the old eyes. I just had eye surgery and discovered that overnight I could not refocus on my 60 CX quick enough while driving. I bought one of those big screens but it was only marginally helpfull so I took it back. I need a clear highly contrasted font.

Yup... this unit DEFINITELY needs that... I noticed that problem right off the bat when I dealt with this thing.

I was thinking that they could have an option (because everyone will not need it) to turn on a "magnifier"around the cursor. I have seen this on computers where when you move your cursor over an icon for example it bubbles and enlarges and as you move along the image gets smaller in it's wake.

That is THE precise suggestion I gave to the Garmin head honcho design engineer at the Vegas event! He seemed intrigued, as well as the Groundspeak dude who's name I didn't quite catch. They both thought it an interesting idea. That and combine with the high-contrast font, and a better choice of readable screen font. Who knows? They heard the idea, maybe it might happen. :)

The Colorado "suffers" from the same issue as the old eTrex Vista. A very high resolution screen makes it possible for the design engineers to squeeze in a lot of information, but you need a maginfying glass to read it.

A unit like the nüvi 760 or Zumo 550 is much better for vehicle use, as you there can't stand still and position the GPS at the most favorable position for your eyes.

I don't believe this is possible from what I've read, but wouldn't it be nice to open up the memory card to save regular waypoints?

The Custom Point of Interest feature is nice, but there are so many drawbacks to using it. For example, with the 60csx, I can't create a new CPOI without doing it through the computer; I can't just "mark" a CPOI. I can't use the unit's regular Geocaching feature with CPOI, having it switch icons to "found," etc.

Plus, CPOI only show up when you're zoomed in at the same level you'd find all of the other icons, like stores, restaurants, etc. I have my unit set so that those locations only show up when zoomed at the 800ft scale... it gets mighty cluttered when you try it at any greater distance.

Maybe I'm missing something, but it sure would be nice to be able to save an unlimited number of regular waypoints on the MicroSD card, and treat them as regular waypoints.

Edited by alanfreed

I don't believe this is possible from what I've read, but wouldn't it be nice to open up the memory card to save regular waypoints?

The Custom Point of Interest feature is nice, but there are so many drawbacks to using it. For example, with the 60csx, I can't create a new CPOI without doing it through the computer; I can't just "mark" a CPOI. I can't use the unit's regular Geocaching feature with CPOI, having it switch icons to "found," etc.

Plus, CPOI only show up when you're zoomed in at the same level you'd find all of the other icons, like stores, restaurants, etc. I have my unit set so that those locations only show up when zoomed at the 800ft scale... it gets mighty cluttered when you try it at any greater distance.

Maybe I'm missing something, but it sure would be nice to be able to save an unlimited number of regular waypoints on the MicroSD card, and treat them as regular waypoints.

Can you customize what icons you see on the screen and eliminate some of the clutter? Perhaps set it so that you can only view caches?