Brain Freeze - Help! What are they called...

Oreo Pony

The same with the transformer / electrical box safety red herring... If I were to post that a cache should not be listed on a cliff face because the cacher might fall and die the same people carrying on about electrical box safety would jump to the defense of the cliff cache and state that cachers determine their own risk level!

When you are standing on the edge of a cliff your natural instinct tells you that you're somewhere dangerous. You naturally want to take precautions to not fall off even if it is something as simple as crouching down low or taking a step to back. People do not have the same instinctive reflex to large metal boxes or bundles of wire. The cliffs in my area do not have any signs warning people to stay away but the transformer boxes in my area are stenciled with the words DO NOT CLIMB OR PLAY ON OR AROUND BOX.

When you are standing on the edge of a cliff your natural instinct tells you that you're somewhere dangerous. You naturally want to take precautions to not fall off even if it is something as simple as crouching down low or taking a step to back. People do not have the same instinctive reflex to large metal boxes or bundles of wire. The cliffs in my area do not have any signs warning people to stay away but the transformer boxes in my area are stenciled with the words DO NOT CLIMB OR PLAY ON OR AROUND BOX.

Maybe YOU don't. I've long known that transformer boxes and bundles of wire could be dangerous and I avoid them.

(BTW cliffs in my area do often have warning signs and/or fences)

People play the permission card when they have no real argument and want to enforce their opinion on others.

What a load of nonsense. Permission is a valid argument. In this case it is THE argument. These boxes are private property and the public is not invited to play on them that I'm aware of. Maybe you know differently?

Edited by briansnat

Maybe YOU don't. I've long known that transformer boxes and bundles of wire could be dangerous and I avoid them.

(BTW cliffs in my area do often have warning signs and/or fences)

People play the permission card when they have no real argument and want to enforce their opinion on others.

What a load of nonsense. Permission is a valid argument. In this case it is THE argument. These boxes are private property and the public is not invited to play on them that I'm aware of. Maybe you know differently?

VERY well put Briansnat....very well put indeed!! I also realize the dangers of playing on transformers (or any other electrical equipment I'm not familiar with for that matter)...but looks like some want to downplay it (or maybe they truly don't know :P )!

sorry, said I wouldn't argue this any further....carry on!

And the majority of the "dirty secret" caches are hidden strictly as number padding caches:

Lamppost caches

guardrail caches

newspaper rack caches

Transformer box caches

Caches hidden on private property, but it was, "a quick park and grab."

I could on and on :P

archeological sites,

paleontological areas,

bighorn sheep watering sites,

and in sensitive areas.

It's not just "numbers padding" caches that get hidden without permission. I more or less agree with what you posted in the other thread Don't ask Don't Tell = bad idea!. Caches placed anywhere without adequate permission can end up getting a cacher in trouble with a property owner or result in some blanket ban on geocaches by an over zealous park manager or some corporate executive worried about lawsuits. But in most cases you really don't have this problem. When a property owner or land manager complains you remove the offending cache and life goes on. The transformer caches I've seen are relatively benign. The cache doesn't damage or interfere with the equipment or its operation, the ones that have I have found were in publicly accessible areas, and while many were on private property several have been in publicly own ROWs or in public parks. So while I'd certainly prefer to know that all caches were placed with adequate permission, I'm willing to look for many where I might reasonably suspect this is not the case. I know enough to skip something that I feel is too dangerous and well as avoid searching if I think I might attract too much attention from a muggle.

It's not just "numbers padding" caches that get hidden without permission.

The difference is that private property caches always REQUIRE express permission of the owner. Caches on public lands may or may not require permission depending on the rules and regulations of the managing agency.

It's not just "numbers padding" caches that get hidden without permission.

The difference is that private property caches always REQUIRE express permission of the owner. Caches on public lands may or may not require permission depending on the rules and regulations of the managing agency.

Good point that I think often gets ignored or overlooked...there are vast number of differences between public property....ROW's, public parks, military bases, wildlife reserves...it's definitely not all "equal".

And the majority of the "dirty secret" caches are hidden strictly as number padding caches:

One might think you were trying to point out your disdain for micros......

I have to sleep outside my house now because I've noticed the amount of electrical equipment in there (with warnings and everything)!!

Did anyone notice that the wires from the boxes go....to peoples' houses? Why are they pumping the danger into my house??

The "danger Will Robinson" argument is pretty weak. Unless, of course, you are going to contact a lawyer and sue those who place those DANGEROUS boxes next to sidewalks our kids walk on. You can touch them from the sidewalk!!! Exactly....

But the permission argument is valid....but seriously...if it were enforced.......a graph of total caches online would look like a scree plot.

One might think you were trying to point out your disdain for micros......

I have to sleep outside my house now because I've noticed the amount of electrical equipment in there (with warnings and everything)!!

Did anyone notice that the wires from the boxes go....to peoples' houses? Why are they pumping the danger into my house??

The "danger Will Robinson" argument is pretty weak. Unless, of course, you are going to contact a lawyer and sue those who place those DANGEROUS boxes next to sidewalks our kids walk on. You can touch them from the sidewalk!!! Exactly....

The warning on electrical devices in your home are there because a certain percentage of our population doesn't have enough common sense to use them for the purpose they were made in the way they were designed to be used. If the warning weren't there the companies that make them would have a harder time winning in court when these idiot sue them. In some areas of the US you will see warnings to not climb on or play around the electric companies transformer boxes.

The wall power in your house is 110 volts. The transformers in your neighborhood take what is called medium voltage, about 7000 volts to about 35000 volts, and reduces the voltage. Ever notice that the boxes are made out of metal and never plastic or wood. That is one of the many safety features that make the transformers safe to place next to the sidewalk. They are safe to walk by and bump in to while walking but you shouldn't be sticking your fingers in to the crevasses and holes looking for a cache. This is not a behavior that should be encouraged because even tho the box is designed to keep people out it isn't fool proof and you could potentially come in contact with thousands of volts of electricity.

The lower voltage in your house is very easy to pull yourself away from and newer houses have GFCIs particularly in areas where water may be present that automatically turns off power to the outlet. Unlike in the movies when you touch a medium or high voltage AC power line you do not get thrown across the room or across the street. The higher voltage present in the electric companies transformers makes it much harder to pull away from and adding yourself to the circuit isn't enough of a drain in most cases to get the power companies circuit breakers to trip automatically. That means that you are stuck there until someone calls the electric company and they secure power to your area. Also if anyone touches you they run the risk of getting trapped just like you.

Do you realize that some passerby seeing you lurking around one of those things will get get the cops to come down on you like they did on the owner of a cache in Portsmouth last year just about a week after those fools put up those lite-brights around Boston.

A cache next to a 'No Trespassing' sign will not get published. A cache next to a 'Warning 6,000 volts' should not get published but if you don't tell the reviewer the very first finder will.

I've seen some electrical junction box caches. One was on a wooden pole with no obvious electrical appliances. So, it was obvious to experienced cachers. The problem is they encourage people to look occasionally at real electrical boxes. Overall I think it's not a good idea.

:rolleyes:

Do you realize that some passerby seeing you lurking around one of those things will get get the cops to come down on you like they did on the owner of a cache in Portsmouth last year just about a week after those fools put up those lite-brights around Boston.

Uh....no. People freaked out because something looked like a bomb. Now junction boxes look like bombs? Where will the scare tactics end?

A cache next to a 'No Trespassing' sign will not get published.

You seem a bit naive. You can get one of those EASILY published (you know they don't actually go out and look for your cache, right?)

but if you don't tell the reviewer the very first finder will.

The number of these type of caches out there would suggest otherwise.

The lower voltage in your house is very easy to pull yourself away from and newer houses have GFCIs particularly in areas where water may be present that automatically turns off power to the outlet.

So I can't get killed by the 110 volts in my house? And what about the "they are not fool proof" argument. Or the "what if the electrician made a mistake" arguments.

I can't trust those GFCIs...or those circuit breakers...they're not fool proof. What if an electrician made a mistake?

So, junction boxes are safe.....but, of course, you never know (cue dangerous sounding music....)...

Seems this needs repeating!

I guess if I hear it one more time, it might change my mind.....after I go place a micro on a junction box next to a no trespassing sign......

Permission issues aside... (meaning, we're assuming permission was given)

If these boxes were that dangerous, there wouldn't be one immediately between an elementary school and it's playground a block from my house. Kids will poke, prod, and play with anything they can get their hands on. If it was dangerous, they would put a fence around it or something. (Obviously, a geocache in this location would be bad, mainly because of the school... so let's not go there...)

I have found several on or around these devices. I like them. I like a mixture of the urban type, wilderness type, micro, LPC, etc... I am a volunteer fireman, and do understand the safety issues, but again, if these devices were dangerous to the general public, they wouldn't be placed the way they are.

There will always be the people who feel that the urban micro, LPC, Park-n-grab ones don't belong in the game, and the only legitimate geocache is an ammo can (or, if you want to go back to the beginning, a 5 gallon bucket) deep in the woods. This isn't the issue here.

I say, again permission issues aside, I have no problem with these.

Uh....no. People freaked out because something looked like a bomb. Now junction boxes look like bombs? Where will the scare tactics end?

You seem to be missing a key point. The general public has no business messing with transformers. If you think you're persuasive enough to talk your way out of trouble with the local Sheriff or Police, you must be special. When the "GP" sees strange people (geocachers) messing with transformer the potential confrontation with Law Enforcement or Security is increased.

A good cache hider would not hide caches that would subject cachers to confrontations with law enforcement.

I went rounds with a cacher in another town becuase he had a cache hidden behind an electrical subpanel, attached to a commercial building. He didn't care about the numerous logs by cache hunters who were confronted by a next door business. The private propery issue didn't bother him either. A private note to the reviewer went nowhere. I resorted to putting it on my ignore list.

A cache next to a 'No Trespassing' sign will not get published.

You seem a bit naive. You can get one of those EASILY published (you know they don't actually go out and look for your cache, right?)

but if you don't tell the reviewer the very first finder will.

The number of these type of caches out there would suggest otherwise.

The lower voltage in your house is very easy to pull yourself away from and newer houses have GFCIs particularly in areas where water may be present that automatically turns off power to the outlet.

So I can't get killed by the 110 volts in my house? And what about the "they are not fool proof" argument. Or the "what if the electrician made a mistake" arguments.

I can't trust those GFCIs...or those circuit breakers...they're not fool proof. What if an electrician made a mistake?

So, junction boxes are safe.....but, of course, you never know (cue dangerous sounding music....)...

Seems this needs repeating!

I guess if I hear it one more time, it might change my mind.....after I go place a micro on a junction box next to a no trespassing sign......

I guess if you use enough sarcasm, you'll get everyone to believe you?? Or were those truly "questions"?

You seem to be missing a key point. The general public has no business messing with transformers. If you think you're persuasive enough to talk your way out of trouble with the local Sheriff or Police, you must be special. When the "GP" sees strange people (geocachers) messing with transformer the potential confrontation with Law Enforcement or Security is increased.

A good cache hider would not hide caches that would subject cachers to confrontations with law enforcement.

I went rounds with a cacher in another town becuase he had a cache hidden behind an electrical subpanel, attached to a commercial building. He didn't care about the numerous logs by cache hunters who were confronted by a next door business. The private propery issue didn't bother him either. A private note to the reviewer went nowhere. I resorted to putting it on my ignore list.

Just to add to what Kit Fox has to say. I'd be very surprised if anyone could get permission from the electric company to put a cache on one their operational transformer boxes. I doubt it could be done. The electric company will gave the very same reason that I and others have outlined in our previous posts on this subject.

Just to add to what Kit Fox has to say. I'd be very surprised if anyone could get permission from the electric company to put a cache on one their operational transformer boxes. I doubt it could be done. The electric company will gave the very same reason that I and others have outlined in our previous posts on this subject.

Yeah, IF permission is sought! I get the feeling some will see this topic and head out to place a cache or two on these "just because". I'm guessing some see the "need permission" reasoning as a challenge just to see if they CAN get one published against guidelines. I hope I'm wrong, but just as when this was brought up about the panels and mailboxes, there were those who had that air of superiority about them. I can also hear their argument...."it's been done before, what's the problem?". The problem being monkey see isn't a defense!!

It'll likely take someone to be fined or WORSE for playing around on one of these before the point is made...I TRULY hope not, but.....

All of you are missing the point.

You might get a cache published without permission, and against the guidelines and so on.

But after the log by the very first finder, a reviewer who's up to par will archive that cache immediately.

Do you really want a cache that's visited by only 1 person?

Talk about cache permanence here.

When the "GP" sees ....

I went rounds with a cacher in another town because he had a cache hidden behind an electrical subpanel, attached to a commercial building. He didn't care about the numerous logs by cache hunters who were confronted by a next door business. The private property issue didn't bother him either. A private note to the reviewer went nowhere. I resorted to putting it on my ignore list.

I guess GP stands for Geocache Police?

:rolleyes:

When the "GP" sees ....

I went rounds with a cacher in another town because he had a cache hidden behind an electrical subpanel, attached to a commercial building. He didn't care about the numerous logs by cache hunters who were confronted by a next door business. The private property issue didn't bother him either. A private note to the reviewer went nowhere. I resorted to putting it on my ignore list.

:)

General Public.

When the "GP" sees ....

General Public.

Geust Playing. :)

When the "GP" sees ....

General Public.
Geust Playing. :)
Gestapo Player

Using a step-down transformer as a cache hiding spot really is a bad idea.

What if a trash hauler lifted one by accident and left it there in a unsafe condition?

What if a snow plow pushed it off it's vault?

What if a utility worker left the pad lock off and someone opens the cover and touched one of the conductors?

A broken wire or a bent busbar could create a path to ground that would not be found until someone touched the protective case.

What if a child gets into something that a adult missed and gets hurt.

Being a utility worker I have seen that these things do happen.

Please think twice before using transformers for hides.

And it's not the voltage that will kill you it's the amps. And you have no way of knowing how much current is being pulled thur those units. Even house hold outlets can kill you if there is just the right amount of current.

Snow

Edited by snowcrustracer
What if the same child touched the thing while he wasn't geocaching.

If these things are so dangerous, why are they placed within reach of a person walkling on the sidewalk? Perhaps it is because the danger is not great.

Edited by sbell111

If these things are so dangerous, why are they placed within reach of a person walkling on the sidewalk? Perhaps it is because the danger is not great.

The same reason that telephone poles are placed by the street.

Because the streets go to where the power is needed so it's convenient to put the power poles there? As a bonus, they pose little to no danger to anyone who may wander up to them.

A private note to the reviewer and no action was taken? I can't quite believe that.

Because the streets go to where the power is needed so it's convenient to put the power poles there? As a bonus, they pose little to no danger to anyone who may wander up to them.

Are you sure they are safe? Do you wear a noisy voltage detector when you go near electrical equipment?

Depending on the underground circut(each circut may be different) a lot of the placement has to do with angles and a short/straight path to the customer. Placement is planned so that finding the undergroud wires and secondary feeds are in a direct path. That way every fireman or rescue crew will know where the meters are and the main breakers that feed the customer.

Every effort is made to keep the system safe but stuff happens just as was noted in the blog above. Folks mess with or damage equipment and do not report it. Hazards can go unnoticed for a long period of time if there is no outage involved.

And childern have died from playing with padmount transformers.

They are not safe and the linemen spend a lot of time in schools teaching kids the hazards of playing near utility property.

snow

I've seen some electrical junction box caches. One was on a wooden pole with no obvious electrical appliances. So, it was obvious to experienced cachers. The problem is they encourage people to look occasionally at real electrical boxes. Overall I think it's not a good idea.

:unsure:

Exactly.
Exactly??? You also think that its wrong for people to occasionally look at electrical boxes?

I'm thinking that someone with a naked guy as an avatar would be less concerned when people look at inanimate objects.

Electrical Transformer?
Ahh-ha! I image-googled that phrase and came up with a picture of what I was considering placing a cache on. I've found caches on these before.

You do realize that the voltage inside of those transformers is usually 4160 volts before it gets stepped down? A shock at the voltage will kill you, I saw it first hand when someone jackhammered into a 4160 line that fed a green transformer.

I have a friend (an electrician) that got fried with "Just" 440 volts... It blew the bottoms out of his shoes (where it went to ground), and put him out of work for months. The paramedics had to jump-start his heart back into operation (luckily the paramedics staion was only a mile from where he worked). Three years later, he still has bad migraine-like headaches almost daily.

Edited by geowizerd

I guess placing caches in ammo cans teaches kids to open up the cans potentially exposing them to live ammunition which can cause their death.

For the record...the original contents of ammo cans do not cause death. It's the people who open those cans, retrieve the contents, load said contents into the appropriate weapon and use it. :D

Former US Army Ammunition Specialist

Are you for real? Darwin has got your number and eventually you'll get a call. Ever seen the infomercial by the power company about the kid flying the kite too close to the powerline? How about calling before you dig? I think they both ended with BBBZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Why take chances? Hiding a micro (or any other size cache) on an electrical box says to me "I have no imagination and all I really want to do is hide my geogarbage here because I can't put one within 528 feet of my last cache and the substation (which has an awesome hiding spot right behind that private property sign) has a fence around it. :D

Edited by cowcreekgeeks

Good god, people. The reason you shouldn't put a cache on one of these boxes is because it's stupid. Not so much stupid because they're dangerous, but stupid because they're nothing special. Geocaches are supposed to take you to something interesting, or fun, or neat to see, or even beautiful if the proximity rule allows it. Transformers are urban junk, even if they do provide a necessary service, and making you poke around on one is dumb. It's just not a good geocache, safe or not.

Are you for real? Darwin has got your number and eventually you'll get a call. Ever seen the infomercial by the power company about the kid flying the kite too close to the powerline? How about calling before you dig? I think they both ended with BBBZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Why take chances? Hiding a micro (or any other size cache) on an electrical box says to me "I have no imagination and all I really want to do is hide my geogarbage here because I can't put one within 528 feet of my last cache and the substation (which has an awesome hiding spot right behind that private property sign) has a fence around it. :yikes:

Are you seriously suggesting that this:

powah121905.jpg

is as dangerous as a power line?

If so, please explain why power lines are placed out of reach, either hung way up in the air or burried safely underground while these boxes are placed within reach of sidewalks? If they are as dangerous (to the touch) as you seem to be saying, why don't we read about fried people in every day's newspaper?

Edited by sbell111
The most legitimate issue for these is "adequate permission".
The thread, however, is about 'safety'.
No, the thread is about what those 'things' are called.
You are absolutely correct.

What are those things called?

Whatchamacallit's...I think...

Good god, people. The reason you shouldn't put a cache on one of these boxes is because it's stupid. Not so much stupid because they're dangerous, but stupid because they're nothing special. Geocaches are supposed to take you to something interesting, or fun, or neat to see, or even beautiful if the proximity rule allows it. Transformers are urban junk, even if they do provide a necessary service, and making you poke around on one is dumb. It's just not a good geocache, safe or not.

Good god, Walruz. The reason people put caches in places that YOU think are stupid is because THEY want to. Lots of others come find them, log them, and thank the hider for the cache.

I've seen no requirement that "Geocaches are supposed to take you to something interesting, or fun, or neat to see, or even beautiful". As far as I know they're only supposed to give you a reason to use the GPS to take you to a container that contains a logbook. The other stuff can be a welcomed addition. A requirement to take you to an interesting location was one of the huge problems with Virtuals, nobody could agree on what met the requirement.

As for a transformer cache... it's just not a good geocache for Walruz, safe or not. It's a fun one for Mushtang, Sbell, and plenty of others.

powah121905.jpg

Interesting photo. The sticker on the right hand side of the box is obviously a DANGER sticker and the one on the left hand side clearly says NOTICE at the top.

If they are as dangerous (to the touch) as you seem to be saying, why don't we read about fried people in every day's newspaper?

Thankfully it doesn't happen every day but it only has to happen once to be a tragedy. Like in the case of 9-year old Willie Wagner.

uy1d7q12.jpg

In 2003 Con Edison had reports of 210 stray voltage shocks. One of these stray voltage shocks caused the death of Jodie Lane. Since then Con Edison has stepped up their safety efforts. Last year the number of reported stray voltage shocks is down to 46. This includes four pedestrians that were zapped by a metal service box near Times Square and a dog in Brooklyn that died from a shock received from a circuit that provided power to a street lamp.

It seems insane to me that dispite the fact that these are most definately on private property (regardless if it is situated on public property, the box itself is off limits to ALL except the utilities' or facilities' employees), and repeated statements of the potential dangers, from utility workers (like snow) and certified electrical inspectors (me), they still defend these hides. I'd like to hear from these guys as to their expertise in high voltage/amperage electrical equipment. :ph34r: Because I don't believe anybody that does have experience with this kind of equipment, would EVER advocate putting something on there that would have folks with no electrical experience putzing and prodding around on them.

Edited by geowizerd