Can an activated coin be deleted?

Eric K

I think this has been answered before but I'm to lazy to look around. :P

As an example say I activate coin XYZ but then realize I don't want it activated in case I want to trade it later. Can the activation of that coin be deleted by me as the coin owner?

Thanks in advance,

Eric

Outside of Groundspeak deactivating the coin, I don't think this can be done. But I don't mind having activated coins for the most part. If you have activated a coin and you really want an unactivated coin, let me know what coin it is, or what one you want to trade for. I'd usually be happy to trade you my unactivated coin (if I have that one) for your activated one that I can "adopt". (did that make sense???)

My sense is, though not 100% sure is that at least in general the answer is no. Can you imagine the headache it would cause Groundspeak to be doing this?

Couldn't it just be a switch for the owner? Check if active, uncheck if inactive. If active then tracking is on and the coin can be logged.

Did I oversimplify it?

My sense is, though not 100% sure is that at least in general the answer is no. Can you imagine the headache it would cause Groundspeak to be doing this?

Couldn't it just be a switch for the owner? Check if active, uncheck if inactive. If active then tracking is on and the coin can be logged.

Did I oversimplify it?

What would happen to the logs already on it if you decide to deacivate it?

Did I oversimplify it?

What would happen to the logs already on it if you decide to deacivate it?

The possibility of Logs would probably make them not provide such an option.

It would be nice if there was a short grace period when the coin/bug was activated that you could shut it off right away. Especially if you fat fingered and activated someone else's traveler.

Send gc.com an email about this particular coin and see if they can help you. Otherwise you'll just have to adopt the coin out to whomever you give it to.

I once put the wrong # on my coin code, and with a group activation code, managed to activate it.

Whoa - out there in the wild, finders could not log it. I think it was a "P" and a "F" that caused the prob.

Anyway, eventually got hold of a Groundspeak / geocaching.com moderator, who kindly deleted the electronic coin - if memory serves me right - name of "Brent" or "Brett" - but age means memory not always matching history!

It can be done - it has been done.

Find an email by plodding through the website.

GOod luck

Outside of Groundspeak deactivating the coin, I don't think this can be done. But I don't mind having activated coins for the most part. If you have activated a coin and you really want an unactivated coin, let me know what coin it is, or what one you want to trade for. I'd usually be happy to trade you my unactivated coin (if I have that one) for your activated one that I can "adopt". (did that make sense???)

I agree here. Activated coins that come from personal collections and are traded here on the forums are gladly accepted. Activated coins that came out of a cache are highly shunned and frowned upon. I think that it's for that 2nd reason that TPTB don't allow coins to be de-activated.

But, I agree with Team Professor X -- an unactivated coin is one with no logs and no entry in the trackable's database -- it has no description or goal -- you can't look it up -- nobody can log it -- it simply doesn't exist in their system. (Very different from an archived cache which hangs around forever.)

I got a coin I'd like to deactivate. It was a FTF coin I put in a new cache. The FTFer was new and thought it as a prize rather than a trackable item. I decided to just let it go, heck its only 5 bucks and kinda a ugly coin. So now I got this zero milage coin hanging out in my profile with a question mark next to it reminding me all the time that I was stupid. Maybe there should be like a divorce log that lets you dump the coin forever.

I got a coin I'd like to deactivate. It was a FTF coin I put in a new cache. The FTFer was new and thought it as a prize rather than a trackable item. I decided to just let it go, heck its only 5 bucks and kinda a ugly coin. So now I got this zero milage coin hanging out in my profile with a question mark next to it reminding me all the time that I was stupid. Maybe there should be like a divorce log that lets you dump the coin forever.

You could let them adopt it. Then it won't show up in your profile.

Why couldn't you create a sock puppet account and let the sock puppet adopt the coin from you? Then you will not see it on your profile anymore.

From the post it looks like the FTFer took the coin. If that is correct you can send them an adoption request and they can then take the coin from you. It would be easy to wlk them through it.