Move a Geocache

Look up the locations of geocaches - packages stashed for GPS treasure

hunts - and move them. Stake out the old spot and watch players go mad

with frustation.

I don't see where's the fun in ruining someone else's outdoor

activity. I was about to fire off a nastygram to editor at wired dot com, but

I think it might be more effective with concerted action. Any

suggestions?

That is an incredibly poor business descision. For one most Geocachers are computer literate and many are probably readers or at least potnetial readers, why would a magazine irritate a large body of potential readers. Secondly the magazine may have legal liability for anything that might happen to someone acting on their suggestions. REading many of the posts here I don't think it's a far stretch of the imagination to find someone getting the crap beat out of them staking out a site to get their laughs watching Geocachers get stumped because of their actions. I knwo their insurance company would not be terribly pleased.

I suggest that Geocachers contact them to explain their poor choises in article selection. What's next booby-trapping caches? I find it hard to believe that a credible magazine would do something like that. Their editor shoujld find another job, maybe working in a joke shop!

That's simply ridiculous. I've only picked up a few newsstand copies of Wired, but there are obviously not going to be anymore purchases from myself or my GF, that's for sure. Even if Groundspeak cannot do anything about this, at the very least I bet Wired just lost a few hundred, maybe a few thousand readers!

Contact Wired http://www.wired.com/services/feedback/general

Linked

Sample Complaint letter:

Dear Editor,

I recently read in one of your issues an article titled, "Be a GPS Prankster." In that article is a suggestion to your readers that it would be great fun to move a geocache. I would just like to say, "Thanks!" I've been debating which magazine I should discontinue reading, Wired or PC World, and this article definitely solved my little dilemma. As a geocacher, I find it highly disconcerting that you provoke your readers to mess with my game. For heaven's sake, little kids play this game. Without geocaching, who knows what these kids could be doing. The time that these kids have lost thanks to your suggestions will now be spent knocking off newsstands and littering the streets with torn up copies of your poorly written magazine. Great Job Editor!!

(moderator needed to change one word in the "sample complaint letter". Kids read this board too.)

Edited by mtn-man

What were the other hilarious geocaching pranks they suggested?

I'm not taking this as serious as some of you are. This is tongue-in-cheek stuff. I really doubt that our caches are in jeapordy because of that article. Do you really think there's some Mountain Dew'ed up dude out there saying "Whooah, maan... thaat sounds like a gnarly thing to do!!" And if there is, do you really think he'd get out of his computer chair and actually do it? Nawwwwwww.....

Today I found in the November 2007 WIRED Magazine a small column

entitled "Be a GPS Prankster" (page 48). Among other malevolent

activities the following is suggested:

Move a Geocache

with frustation.

suggestions?

Lets not rush to judgement. Wired has previously published a couple of informative and positive articles on Geocaching. I don't think the article should be taken seriously.

Have Geocache Will Travel

Geocaching Gets Geeks Into the Great Outdoors

Geocaching without GPS

Edited by 4wheelin_fool

Don't rely on GC.com.

We in Northern New York have had a problem with a Geocaching Thief/Prankster for three years.

Many Geocachers from our area have tried to elicit help from them and they have refused all requests.

There have been a number of NNY geocachers who have stopped their premium membership and many who have stopped geocaching in all because of these persons activities.

I think if we geocachers collectively send a mass of emails Wired's way, they might hear our frustration.

Let Groundspeak take the action.

Don't rely on GC.com.

We in Northern New York have had a problem with a Geocaching Thief/Prankster for three years.

Many Geocachers from our area have tried to elicit help from them and they have refused all requests.

Perhaps some Geocachers should take Wired's idea and stake out a cache site. Wait for the would-be pranksters to arrive, then...

Don't rely on GC.com.

I think if we geocachers collectively send a mass of emails Wired's way, they might hear our frustration.

Huh??? What does your Northern New York problem of three years have to do with a recent spoof in Wired magazine?

Don't rely on GC.com.

Huh??? What does your Northern New York problem of three years have to do with a recent spoof in Wired magazine?

It was them all along! Lets hide the editor's SUV at the bottom of Lake Michigan! :(

Seriously, you can't blame the entire magazine for one person's lame joke, plus it could backfire.

Just find out who the person is that wrote that piece... <_<

Move a Geocache

with frustation.

Shyza! I thought I had no life! You'd really hafta be a nerd to muggle a cache and then sit there for maybe a coupla weeks waiting.... you'd smell pretty ripe I'll bet.

Today I found in the November 2007 WIRED Magazine a small column

entitled "Be a GPS Prankster" (page 48). Among other malevolent

activities the following is suggested:

Move a Geocache

with frustation.

suggestions?

That is an incredibly poor business descision. For one most Geocachers are computer literate and many are probably readers or at least potnetial readers, why would a magazine irritate a large body of potential readers. Secondly the magazine may have legal liability for anything that might happen to someone acting on their suggestions. REading many of the posts here I don't think it's a far stretch of the imagination to find someone getting the crap beat out of them staking out a site to get their laughs watching Geocachers get stumped because of their actions. I knwo their insurance company would not be terribly pleased.

I suggest that Geocachers contact them to explain their poor choises in article selection. What's next booby-trapping caches? I find it hard to believe that a credible magazine would do something like that. Their editor shoujld find another job, maybe working in a joke shop!

You have got to be kidding me. People are responsible for their own actions. If someone does this, and gets the crap beat out of them, it ain't gonna be Wired's problem to deal with. Ever see the movie Jacka**?? All kinds of people decided to follow that lead. ANd guess who paid for that? Not the producers or anyone affiliated with the movie.

SOme of you people take this crap WAYYYYYYYYYYY too serious!!!

Here's what I'm sending to Wired:

Dear Sir or Madam,

As a fan of your magazine for years, I am very upset that your magazine promotes interfering with the activity of geocaching. This is an activity for tech-savvy families who would seem to be your target audience. I've regularly purchased Wired at the newstand and actively accessed your web content nearly every day for years, but in light of this article, I've decided to stop visiting your site and purchasing Wired magazine.

In addition, I plan to contact your advertisers, as well as GPS receiver and other consumer electronics manufacturers, to make them aware of both your lack of editorial citizenship and also my avoidance of your print and digital publications.

With regret,

They still have articles? Last time I looked at Wired, it was practically a catalog with nothing but ads.

But really, as someone who got all up in arms when a local reporter ended a geocaching piece with "...or you could get a life", I think this is being taken way too seriously. It's Wired. It's geeks poking fun at another group of geeks, probably good-naturedly. And no one is more self-deprecating than geeks.

I'd really like to see the rest of the list. I bet it's even tamer in context.

Here's what I'm sending to Wired:

Dear Sir or Madam,

As a fan of your magazine for years, I am very upset that your magazine promotes interfering with the activity of geocaching. This is an activity for tech-savvy families who would seem to be your target audience. I've regularly purchased Wired at the newstand and actively accessed your web content nearly every day for years, but in light of this article, I've decided to stop visiting your site and purchasing Wired magazine.

In addition, I plan to contact your advertisers, as well as GPS receiver and other consumer electronics manufacturers, to make them aware of both your lack of editorial citizenship and also my avoidance of your print and digital publications.

With regret,

Oh, for Pete's sake! Has anyone besides the OP actually seen the article in question in its full context? I wish that someone would post it here to put things in context. If, as I suspect, the article was simply a spoof (a joke... humor...not intended to be taken seriously... a lampoon, etc) , anyone writing a letter like that is simply going to come off as an oversensitive zeolot and make themselves that much more of a target of further spoofs.

If you have actually "regularly purchased Wired at the newstand", then it should be no problem for you to post the article in its full context, right? Or did you burn it when you saw the article in question?

They still have articles? Last time I looked at Wired, it was practically a catalog with nothing but ads.

But really, as someone who got all up in arms when a local reporter ended a geocaching piece with "...or you could get a life", I think this is being taken way too seriously. It's Wired. It's geeks poking fun at another group of geeks, probably good-naturedly. And no one is more self-deprecating than geeks.

I'd really like to see the rest of the list. I bet it's even tamer in context.

Here's a B/W scan of the page:

http://members.cox.net/spam_me23/Scan-071020-0003.pdf

Here's a B/W scan of the page:

http://members.cox.net/spam_me23/Scan-071020-0003.pdf

Thanks for posting the scan, Lego Fans! I think that proves this is much ado about nothing. People are really going to cancel their subscription and write the editor and the advertisers... because of THAT? Go geocaching, people. You need to get out of the house if you're taking this that seriously!

Thanks. Given the introduction, which refers to the ideas as evil and irresponsible, I'm pretty sure it's not meant to be serious. It's no more malicious than the "100 Ways to Mess with Wal-Mart Employees" list that's circulated for years.

Googling the author, he's written favorably about geocaching in the past.

Six Innovative Uses for GPS

Go Play Outside

On the other hand, he has an even more evil version of the list on his website. :laughing:

Oh, for Pete's sake! Has anyone besides the OP actually seen the article in question in its full context? I wish that someone would post it here to put things in context. If, as I suspect, the article was simply a spoof (a joke... humor...not intended to be taken seriously... a lampoon, etc) , anyone writing a letter like that is simply going to come off as an oversensitive zeolot and make themselves that much more of a target of further spoofs.

If you have actually "regularly purchased Wired at the newstand", then it should be no problem for you to post the article in its full context, right? Or did you burn it when you saw the article in question?

Yes, I guess I'm an oversensitive zealont and I can only speak for myself, not S, but we use geocaching for many good purposes. For instance, we introduce bereaved families to geocaching to help with their grief. I take it personally when Wired thinks it is a good joke to do the equivalent of 'the paper bag on fire' to me or any of my fellow cachers.

Also, here in South Carolina, we've fought a hard battle to make geocaching respectable. We've gotten state agencies and the parks systems on board as partners. The mere mention of the word geocaching in the same sentence as the word prank would not be well received.

If Wired magazine thinks I'm worth the trouble to target some more, so be it. I'll just speak for myself and stress that it's my own opinion.

Respectfully,

- T of TandS

I submitted this to: Contact Wired http://www.wired.com/services/feedback/general

"Dear Wired,

I have been reading Wired for many years and recently became a yearly subscriber. I am now writing to tell you that I am extremely disappointed with something that you allowed to be printed in your November issue, page 48, entitled: "Be a GPS Prankster"

How dare you encourage anyone to mess with a game that brings enjoyment to millions of people around the world. Ironically, Geocaching is probably one of the most 'wired' style activities out there and shares very much the same audience as your magazine. Have you really not noticed? Families with children, students, retirees and many others play this game for fun. Is it really fun to ruin someone else's adventure?

Assuming anyone is dumb enough to follow the asinine suggestions in that article and go out and mess with other peoples fun, your article will only result in people like me and my family, who truly appreciate geocaching, Waymarking, and Wired magazine, being disappointed.

I agree with the people in the Groundspeak forums, referenced in the link attached. You should be ashamed.

Please cancel my subscription immediately.

Sincerely,

(My Name and Subscription Address)

I submitted this to: Contact Wired http://www.wired.com/services/feedback/general

"Dear Wired,

I have been reading Wired for many years and recently became a yearly subscriber. I am now writing to tell you that I am extremely disappointed with something that you allowed to be printed in your November issue, page 48, entitled: "Be a GPS Prankster"

How dare you encourage anyone to mess with a game that brings enjoyment to millions of people around the world. Ironically, Geocaching is probably one of the most 'wired' style activities out there and shares very much the same audience as your magazine. Have you really not noticed? Families with children, students, retirees and many others play this game for fun. Is it really fun to ruin someone else's adventure?

Assuming anyone is dumb enough to follow the asinine suggestions in that article and go out and mess with other peoples fun, your article will only result in people like me and my family, who truly appreciate geocaching, Waymarking, and Wired magazine, being disappointed.

I agree with the people in the Groundspeak forums, referenced in the link attached. You should be ashamed.

Please cancel my subscription immediately.

Sincerely,

(My Name and Subscription Address)

Very nicely done. I'm amazed that a magazine that boasts so widely about supporting tech would do something so callous. More so that it mentions technology giving power and responsibility in the same sidebar. Hypocrisy seems to be the mode of the day, but I've asked for a retraction and decided to stop purchasing wired for myself, the company I work with and anyone else I know who subscribes until I see that happen. :laughing:

Here's mine, also submitted to Contact Wired. (Hmmm, in re-reading, I see inconsistency in my version of how many geocachers there are....oh well.)

Dear Wired,

I've been reading your magazine on and off since its inception (when I was an editor at another high-tech pub), and I'm stunned at the "Be a GPS Prankster" item you allowed to be printed in your November issue, page 48. Were the editors asleep at the switch during the pub cycle for this one?

Wired has always lived life on the edge, but to print an item encouraging vandalism....wow. Holy liability issues, Batman, if someone takes your advice and something more serious happens (to people or property). Not to mention you are encouraging negative behavior for an activity enjoyed by millions, including many Wired subscribers.

You've previously printed positive, helpful articles on geocaching (by the same author), so I'm baffled by this inane, juvenile "humor." Humor doesn't always translate, particularly among younger, impressionable readers (and the entire sidebar wasn't funny, more like scraping the bottom of the submission barrel). Over the years, I've seen fellow writers and editors lose assignments or jobs for similarly poor judgment.

I've lost respect for Wired, thanks to your publishing prank, as have many geocachers (a rapidly swelling population in the tens of thousands, with a growing number of advertisers and sponsors). I hope you will exercise more mature editorial judgment in future.

Regards,

Oh, that's nice. B)

Not only does he suggest moving or steal caches and leave a get a life note.

Then he suggest marking bogus waymarks and posten them on Groundspeak's website.

I also got a kick out of his golf tip and how he uses his maggie to select his club. He also stats that his GPS is "accurate within a meter or so". :laughing:

Crush one under your pick-up

A GPS is cheap – after all, the GPS satellite system is over 13 years old. Garmin and Magellan sell “indestructible” models, so get one and run over it with your truck. Nope, not too rugged.

OMG... he's actually suggesting that we DESTROY GPS receivers! Now he's gone TOO FAR!

It may have very well been a joke, but all it takes is one mischivous prankster(all I could do to keep it clean) to mess things all up. It is irresponsible for someone to print the descretion of a sport or hobby for someone elses amusement. :laughing:

Edited by cowpill

each cache is owned by someone and there are laws about removing someone else's property from it's intended place. it's called theft, petty or otherwise. I hope one of these pranksters gets caught so they can find out that this magazine just told them to do something that carries penalties.

Just my 2 cents.

Mike

Zazth

each cache is owned by someone and there are laws about removing someone else's property from it's intended place. it's called theft, petty or otherwise. I hope one of these pranksters gets caught so they can find out that this magazine just told them to do something that carries penalties.

Just my 2 cents.

Mike

Zazth

I'd rather everyone took it as the joke it is and no one's cache got stolen. I think I'll get my wish first.

Just my 2 cents.

Mike

Zazth

I'd rather everyone took it as the joke it is and no one's cache got stolen. I think I'll get my wish first.

you might be right about it being a joke but I know a few people out there are going to be dumb enough to do it. Even if it's less then 1% folks, I still hope those who do it get caught. So let us agree to disagree on this matter and just go our own way down the geotrail onto the next cache, shall we?

Mike

zazth

Hey, here's a fun prank to do with your computer:

Pick a random magazine author, let's just say, oh (pulls name out of a hat) John Brandon. Then track down all his articles and complain to his editors about how you like all the other articles in their mag except his.

Hahahahahah!

Pick a random magazine author, let's just say, oh (pulls name out of a hat) John Brandon. Then track down all his articles and complain to his editors about how you like all the other articles in their mag except his.

Hahahahahah!

Be a John Brandon Prankster:

Send him random rambling and annoying e-mails about nothing and everything:

johnmbrandon@gmail.com :laughing:

Edited by 4wheelin_fool

Hahahahahah!

lol

funny.

It may have very well been a joke, but all it takes is one mischivous prankster(all I could do to keep it clean) to mess things all up.

One very, very busy prankster, I might add. Particularily since he has to stake out all of those cache sites at one time! I mean, he might be able to mess ONE cache up, but you're talking about one prankster messing it ALL up, so he's gonna be one busy guy!

Nice avatar, BTW. :laughing:

It may have very well been a joke, but all it takes is one mischivous prankster(all I could do to keep it clean) to mess things all up.

One very, very busy prankster, I might add. Particularily since he has to stake out all of those cache sites at one time! I mean, he might be able to mess ONE cache up, but you're talking about one prankster messing it ALL up, so he's gonna be one busy guy!

Nice avatar, BTW. :P

They would not have to stake out the cache site to mess things up. They could just go around and collect caches.

Just my 2 cents.

Mike

Zazth

you might be right about it being a joke but I know a few people out there are going to be dumb enough to do it. Even if it's less then 1% folks, I still hope those who do it get caught. So let us agree to disagree on this matter and just go our own way down the geotrail onto the next cache, shall we?

Okay, I just think it's really strange that a geocacher would hope that someone will do it, just so they can get caught. If there were any way to prove it, I would put money on this not producing one more cache thief than already exists. But look at the bright side: now we have a scapegoat for when the next rash of stolen caches begins.

As I said before, it's no different than the Walmart pranks. You're supposed to imagine the immediate reaction if you were to do it, not actually do it, because you know there would ultimately be more serious consequences.

But then again, this is America. So don't make jokes that someone might misconstrue; don't make movies and TV shows that someone might imitate; don't hide caches that might make someone later think about opening an electrical box; and so on.

Some people are like Slinkies.

They serve no real purpose but still give you moderate

satisfaction when you push them down the stairs.

Uhhhh, you may wanna give some thought to changing your tagline. Somebody might actually begin pushing people down the stairs if they read that! All it takes is one person doing it to ruin the entire Slinky brandname! :P

Good thing he got the URL in that list wrong - he put geocache.com.

Yeah, I caught that.

The article is online now. You can register and post your comments there. However, I would go double or nothing on my previous bet and say that posting complaints where everyone who finds the article can see them would provoke more cache thefts than the original article.

Just my 2 cents.

Mike

Zazth

You're crazy. No one is going to get in trouble for stealing a cache. It's called ABANDONED PROPERTY. No one would ever get prosecuted for cleaning up trash left in the forest.