Microsoft to purchase Garmin?

gpsblake

http://informationweek.com/blog/main/archi...soft_eyein.html

Microsoft (NSDQ: MSFT) is reported to be looking to acquire Garmin, the navigation system company. Makes sense to me, at least technology-wise.

There are a few reasons. Let's start with the most immediate and obvious: cars. Microsoft has a system called Sync, a $395 option that's going to be offered in Fords, Lincolns, and Mercurys, starting with the 2008 Ford Focus. The system uses Bluetooth and USB; does hands-free calling and voice-activated music selection; reads text messages aloud; can sync up with iPods, cell phones, and a variety of other devices; has steering wheel controls and a dashboard screen; and may, in later models, allow drivers to create spoken text messages and e-mails. Yes, all that at $395, and in the Ford Focus, not the Jaguar.

Now, on to Garmin. Garmin already has partnerships with both Microsoft and Ford, offering features such as updated gas prices, weather conditions and forecasts, and dynamic trip routing based on traffic and construction, stemming from a partnership with MSN. The system offered in Fords includes Bluetooth capability and an MP3 player, reminiscent of Sync. Seems like a fit to me.

Entire Story at Link

Being in the Long Distance Telephone Tech world my company has been purchased, sold, merged, acquired, whatever, more times then I could even care to mention. (For me, 21 years employment next June)

Looking back; some were good, some were bad. (Minor mention, one time the building sign read Worldcom)

http://informationweek.com/blog/main/archi...soft_eyein.html

Microsoft (NSDQ: MSFT) is reported to be looking to acquire Garmin, the navigation system company. Makes sense to me, at least technology-wise.

There are a few reasons. Let's start with the most immediate and obvious: cars. Microsoft has a system called Sync, a $395 option that's going to be offered in Fords, Lincolns, and Mercurys, starting with the 2008 Ford Focus. The system uses Bluetooth and USB; does hands-free calling and voice-activated music selection; reads text messages aloud; can sync up with iPods, cell phones, and a variety of other devices; has steering wheel controls and a dashboard screen; and may, in later models, allow drivers to create spoken text messages and e-mails. Yes, all that at $395, and in the Ford Focus, not the Jaguar.

Now, on to Garmin. Garmin already has partnerships with both Microsoft and Ford, offering features such as updated gas prices, weather conditions and forecasts, and dynamic trip routing based on traffic and construction, stemming from a partnership with MSN. The system offered in Fords includes Bluetooth capability and an MP3 player, reminiscent of Sync. Seems like a fit to me.

Entire Story at Link

I think it would be a smart move. A strong software company plus a strong hardware company makes for a great match. They are both American companies so it would fortify the American presence in that arena for the long-haul and it will be a big arena. It would bring some very interesting developments. B)

So I guess that means that Apple will get Magellan.... :grin:

Edited by TrailGators

Being in the Long Distance Telephone Tech world my company has been purchased, sold, merged, acquired, whatever, more times then I could even care to mention. (For me, 21 years employment next June)

Looking back; some were good, some were bad. (Minor mention, one time the building sign read Worldcom)

Same here, 26 years & then downsized. B)

Edited by whitecrow

How do YOU spell "d-o-w-n-h-i-l-l s-p-i-r-a-l"?

Yeah, we need a monopoly that cares nothing about it's consumer base & makes constant changes for the worse that renders our equipment useless :laughing:

I agree! As a longtime, loyal Garmin customer and investor, I would absolutely hate to see Garmin devoured by the MicroSoft monster!

Yeah, we need a monopoly that cares nothing about it's consumer base & makes constant changes for the worse that renders our equipment useless :blink:

I didn't realize that Microsoft's job was to care about you? I thought their job was to make money by building a superior product. I don't buy into this Monopoly garbage either. Anyone who wants to make a better product has the ability to do so.. One could argue that Apple has a superior product, but until they drop the "superiority complex", they won't truly be able to compete with Microsoft. But that is APPLE's problem, not Microsoft's.

Microsoft is one of the great companies and the Gates foundation has done more good than any other corporation is existence today.. So who doesn't care?

Yeah, we need a monopoly that cares nothing about it's consumer base & makes constant changes for the worse that renders our equipment useless :blink:

I didn't realize that Microsoft's job was to care about you? I thought their job was to make money by building a superior product. I don't buy into this Monopoly garbage either. Anyone who wants to make a better product has the ability to do so.. One could argue that Apple has a superior product, but until they drop the "superiority complex", they won't truly be able to compete with Microsoft. But that is APPLE's problem, not Microsoft's.

Microsoft is one of the great companies and the Gates foundation has done more good than any other corporation is existence today.. So who doesn't care?

I think we are minorities in this thread, ReadyOrNot. I bailed because there was way too much "kvetching" (Jeremy's word)..... :blink: Edited by TrailGators