gps carrier

gazelle62

Hi ! I'm gazelle62 from Québec, Canada. Has anyone ever heard of a gps carrier worn at chest level, that enables the cacher to go through the woods having both hands free. The carrying system would be placed in such a fashion that the cacher would be able to follow the bearing just by looking at the unit, hands free.

Thanks !

esyram@videotron.ca

I've seen binocular straps that were flexible, and kept them close to your chest, but nothing for GPSrs. It's hard to imagine something like that that wouldn't be awkward in use. I suppose it would work on a good trail, but I don't usually find the trail until after I've found the cache and started back to the car. :huh:

Hey, to keep in theme of high tech toys, wouldn't a heads-up display be the thing?

Now what I'd really like would be a GPSr with audio output - "50m to go at 20 degrees left" - that sort of thing.

If connected to GPSr in your pocket with an earpiece, it could be either hands-free in the woods or muggle-confusing when stealth is required. :huh:

I just use the clip that came with my Garmin GPSmap 60 and attach the GPS to my belt or backpack strap. Works pretty well for me.

I do the same thing with my Venture Cx. I originally bought the belt clip and screw-in button when I was using my old Geko 301, I was happy to find that it worked equally as well with the new unit.

I know this isn't exactly what you're looking for, but I bought a retractable keychain that clips to your belt. I put my GPSr on the end of it, so when I'm not wanting to hold it, it just hangs neatly by my side. But if you go that route, make sure to buy a good quality one (ie. not one with a loose chain, or one that will cause your GPSr to drop down because the recoil strength isn't strong enough!) I just brought my GPSr to the store and tried it there, worked like a charm!

Hey, to keep in theme of high tech toys, wouldn't a heads-up display be the thing?
Now what I'd really like would be a GPSr with audio output - "50m to go at 20 degrees left" - that sort of thing.

If connected to GPSr in your pocket with an earpiece, it could be either hands-free in the woods or muggle-confusing when stealth is required. :huh:

Here's my idea:

A multi-use bluetooth HUD. It could display your GPS info from your bluetooth-enabled GPSr, it could pop up the caller ID when someone calls you on your BT phone, it could... well, you can go from there...

If someone who reads this invents such a thing, I think it's only fair if you send me one for thinking of it. :huh:

The cool idea that I saw a local cacher come up with was a mount on his hiking stick that he could clip his GPSr into. The biggest issue I see with a chest mounted setup is what happens when you fall? I can see the headlines now:

Local Hiker Impaled on GPS
:D

Well, it would really hurt, anyways...

Edited by Too Tall John

I realize it's not exactly what you're looking for, but I read the following on another forum I frequent. It originally had pictures posted, but they're not showing now. I can't take credit, but it's a NEAT idea and it's easy to envision in your mind when you read the step-by-step:

Here is an easy way to carry your GPS when hiking.

One camera trekking pole and a bicycle handlebar GPS mount.

I had a camera mount trekking pole so I ordered a Garmin handlebar mount for an Etrex GPS.

First I Drove the hinge pin out of the GPS mount.

Then the large cork knob that screwed onto the camera mount 1/4-20 screw got cut in half with a hand saw.

Then I cut in some channels and Dremal tooled a recess for half of the handlebar mount.

Pushed the GPS mount into the cork, then drilled through the cork into the old hinge pin hole of the plastic mount.

I then drove a piece of S.S. rod through it.

Where the original clamp bolt was I used a short screw to anchor that end.

I have been using it for four years so far, still works great!

Thanks I didn't think of that way of holding the unit, should work well.

I realize it's not exactly what you're looking for, but I read the following on another forum I frequent. It originally had pictures posted, but they're not showing now. I can't take credit, but it's a NEAT idea and it's easy to envision in your mind when you read the step-by-step:

Here is an easy way to carry your GPS when hiking.

One camera trekking pole and a bicycle handlebar GPS mount.

I had a camera mount trekking pole so I ordered a Garmin handlebar mount for an Etrex GPS.

First I Drove the hinge pin out of the GPS mount.

Then the large cork knob that screwed onto the camera mount 1/4-20 screw got cut in half with a hand saw.

Then I cut in some channels and Dremal tooled a recess for half of the handlebar mount.

Pushed the GPS mount into the cork, then drilled through the cork into the old hinge pin hole of the plastic mount.

I then drove a piece of S.S. rod through it.

Where the original clamp bolt was I used a short screw to anchor that end.

I have been using it for four years so far, still works great!

I have been wanting something like that for years - I have a Garmin 72 and the antenna needs to be in the up position to get the best signal. I once the thing in my shirt pocket and forgot about it for a while - it did great there but I also tried puting in in the mesh pocket on the back of my little back pack that worked great keeping the signal for tracking but not good for getting to it. I want to hold it on my back for tracking but still be able to get to it and not have it fall out. No solution yet. Mine beeps when I lose signal and I need to see if it comes back or not.

I use one all the time!

I lost a leg and hike on crutches, therefore my hands are occupied.

I created a chest mount using a suction-cup car dash mount and shaped a necklace out of coat-hangers covered with shrink tubing.

I call it my hands-free GPS unit.

I have modified its basic design only slightly to accommodate each of the seven GPS I have used, changing the dash mount to one appropriate for that unit.

My current unit is a Garmin GPSMap 76CSx and a dash mount for it.

The unit sits on my chest and can be tilted up or down using the swivel and tilt adjustments built into the dash mount. The GPS sticks out from my chest at just above horizontal so that when I am walking (or driving...don't try this at home!) all I have to do is glance down to see my screen.

The coat-hanger necklace is shaped like a teardrop so it wears comfortably around my neck and holds the unit in place so that it doesn't sway or flop around, and since it's held in place data entry and key manipulation can be done with one hand.

An unintended benefit is that the GPS is always facing forward and horizontal. Look at how most folks carry their GPS... in their hand, attached to a backpack, on their belt, the GPS is in constant motion, swinging around and pointing every which way, therefore constantly recalculating is relative position. Mine sits still, facing the way I am traveling, out in the open where it gets 360° coverage, and I swear I believe that much of my success at being the first in a group to find the cache is because this unit allows me to walk straight to the coords!

I cache with groups more often than not, and almost always arrive at the coords first. I may not FIND it first, but when it's found I am usually right close to where it is!

I will post a pic later in the day when I have more time, but you should get the idea from this description.

I can't tell you how many folks have said what a cool idea it is, yet to my knowledge no one else uses one.

A fellow from PA saw mine at GW2 and started making and selling them. I know he sold them on the web for a while, don't know if he still does, but I cache with a lot of cachers all over the country and have never seen one.

I guess folks are afraid they'll look silly wandering around with a GPS on their chest; I would rather have good coords and hands-free screen access, it's way too late for me to look cool!