Cache Cameras

Tally Dragon

I enjoy hiding caches as much as finding them. I have yet to hide a micro because having room for trade items, travel bugs and sometimes a cache camera is important to me. Looking at pictures of people who have visited my caches is always fun and I like sharing these pictures too. It cost about seven or eight bucks for the disposable camera, development (without prints) and a photo CD.

Instead of uploading all the pictures to the cache page, I like to combine them into two or three collages. This makes them easier to browse through and doesn’t clutter up the web page. After the pictures are uploaded to the cache page, an email is sent to all the visitors in the log that might be in the pictures. In it, I invite them to have a look and offer to send them a copy of their original picture. Many people have written back saying it’s the first time they have seen pictures of themselves from a cache camera.

So I’m wondering…How do you feel about cache cameras? What have you seen done with the pictures and do you have any interesting ones that you want to share with us?

Here’s an example of one of the collages-

04810746-174e-4223-be7e-d4a4ffb45536.jpg

I've had 2 experiences:

1. There was a cache with a disposable camera, but was not kept up to date and the camera had long before run out of pictures, so I took a pic from my camera and uploaded it to the site.

2. There is a cache in my area that ambiguously states that while hunting the cache, that a camera would be taking your picture. I suppose it was some sort of motion sensing camera. I found the cache, but couldn't find the camera so I e-mailed the owner and asked for a copy of the picture it took of me searching for the cache. They replied and sent me an odd picture of a guy's body facing the camera, but with an obviously cut/pasted picture of Tony Bennet's head attached to it. :huh::huh::huh:

Edited by simpjkee

We found one cache with a camera in it, GCJMPR. The owner posted the photos, and we are numbers VT2007-12 and 13. A nice idea. I like Tally Dragon's idea of making a collage out of the pictures. That would make it easier to go through the photos trying to find mine. There are about 70 something photos posted on that one cache we found.

The picture on my profile is from a cache camera at Kelsey's Beaverbrook Cache. It's one of the most natural, relaxed, unposed pictures ever taken of me. (I say so even though I took it, and I am constantly amazed at how well that works in general.) I was going to include a link, but then I remembered that there's already one over there <---. It's me, triumphant, outside at peace in the woods.

I always enjoy seeing pictures from caches, whether they are from the cache's camera or the cacher's. What I invariably see is people enjoying what they are doing, and that's why we are here!

I tried an experiment early on, well before travel bugs, where I took a waterproof one-use camera, looped a nice little logbook onto its lanyard, gave it a stated goal (On the first log page) of travelling around until the camera was full, then making it back to me. It promptly disappeared, of course, but I might want to try it again sometime.

-Bill

I tried an experiment early on, well before travel bugs, where I took a waterproof one-use camera, looped a nice little logbook onto its lanyard, gave it a stated goal (On the first log page) of travelling around until the camera was full, then making it back to me. It promptly disappeared, of course, but I might want to try it again sometime.

-Bill

This made me think of a travel bug called Pict-O-Cache TB that I found in one of my caches here in Tallahassee a year ago. It too was an underwater camera. It started out in Chattanooga and traveled around for about 2500 miles, then back to Chattanooga. Now it's being reported as missing. I wrote to the owner to see if he had gotten it back and developed the pictures. Haven't heard back as yet.

I only have a disposable camera at one of my caches. We put it there because it was our second hide, in 2002 and we had seen so many caches with disposables at the time. I think it was more the norm way back then. But the cache is more remote, so it's not quite full yet, so I've never developed it. I'm starting to wonder if I should just develop it before it's full, since it's been 5 years.

I think one of the problems is that most people have cameras already. If they want pictures, they'll take their own and with a much more quality result. And it seems to be the experience of a lot of owners that by the time they get to developing those pictures, they don't know who a lot of those people are in the pictures.

The collage is a neat idea. I like it for creativeness and interest, but when you post it to the cache, how do you specify who's who?

And it seems to be the experience of a lot of owners that by the time they get to developing those pictures, they don't know who a lot of those people are in the pictures.

The collage is a neat idea. I like it for creativeness and interest, but when you post it to the cache, how do you specify who's who?

I send an email to all the people that have logged a find since the camera was placed in the cache. In it I tell them to look at the collages and if they like, identify themselves in the pictures. Usually about a third of them respond. I like knowing who's who in the pictures but it's not real important. I keep a version of the collages with the names accumulated but I don't usually post it to the cache page. Even though the names provided are user names, and not their real names, some of them might like to remain anonymous. And that might explain why I only hear back from a third of them. Also, cache cameras held at arms length don't always take the most flattering pictures!

Oh, I think that the pictures should be posted to the cache! That's why the camera is there, and why people took their pictures with it. I don't think that they would have taken their pictures if they wanted to remain anonymous. Most owners of caches that I see that have the disposable camera will post the pictures in a cache log when they're developed, even if they don't have all the cacher's names.

Oh, I think that the pictures should be posted to the cache! That's why the camera is there, and why people took their pictures with it. I don't think that they would have taken their pictures if they wanted to remain anonymous. Most owners of caches that I see that have the disposable camera will post the pictures in a cache log when they're developed, even if they don't have all the cacher's names.

I do post the pictures, but without names.

I really liked your collage idea! I, too, have found a couple of camera caches, but I have never seen any of the pictures that were taken with the camera.

I may have to incorporate your idea into the next cache I place. I am always worried that someone would just take the camera, though. In fact, I was at Target the other day and i saw a cheap little digital camera and thought about buying it and putting it into a cache because it would be so much easier than a disposable one. However, my practical side said it would just get stolen, so why bother.

I found a cache one time and it too had a disposable camera in it. I took my picture and replaced the camera. A few weeks later I received an email from the cache owner, asking if I'd like to identify my photo so he could put a name to the photo. The cache owner put all the photos on his website and it was up to us finders to put a name on the photo. If we wanted to stay anonymous, we could do so.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...cf-817df6388834

I am always worried that someone would just take the camera, though. In fact, I was at Target the other day and i saw a cheap little digital camera and thought about buying it and putting it into a cache because it would be so much easier than a disposable one. However, my practical side said it would just get stolen, so why bother.

I've used about eight or ten cameras in the last four years and lost only one. That one was taken by a muggle and not a geocacher. Most cachers know the camera is not a trade item but I've started taping a note to the camera just to make sure. Here's what it looks like-

CACHE CAMERA

This is not a trade item!

Take a picture or two and return it to the cache

I'm thinking using a cheap digital camera is not a good idea. After it sits out in the weather for a year or two it may become a disposable camera as well. And I agree with you, someone would probably steal it.

I too put a camera out last fall. It finally got filled up earlier this summer. Here are the pics, lol...the best part is I don't know who is who.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v649/chadrob30/Geocaching/

Uploading the pictures to the Internet is another great way to share them. I uploaded almost 200 pictures that I had accumulated over the past few years to Picasa and posted the link on our local geocaching forum. Picasa offers you a gig of space at no charge and allows people to download the original images. Another thing I have done is copy the pictures plus a slide show of them to mini CD-R's and placed them in geocaches around town.

If I found a cache with a camera in it, I'd probably take a dump nearby, and take a picture of that. :)

I Would like to know what it is about this post that deemed a 2 week suspension from the forums? Quiggle, I think you would be the proper respondent, as you were the one that imposed the penalty.

You quoted the following to me in your email, from the forum guidelines page:

Please read the forum guidelines at http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?act=boardrules which state:

"Some things to keep in mind when posting:

Foul Language and obscene images will not be tolerated. This site is family friendly, and all posts and posters must respect the integrity of the site."

I'm giving you 14 days off which will be enough time to read the guidelines and find a way to adhere to them.

THere was no foul language nor obscene images in my posting. You never even felt it necessary to edit the original post. This seems to just be a personal vendetta by you against me. I'd like an explanation as to why? And I don't mind that explanation being held in an open forum.

You moderaters seem to let a lot more go from people who are long time, more regular posterst than myself, despite that the guidelines also state that should not be the case. They say:

"Whether a community member has one post or 5,000 posts, they deserve the same respect."

So, let's talk about it. If you think this deserves a thread of it's own, then by all means, please start a new one and post this as the first post in it. I just asked my questions here due to the fact that this is where the post that got me 2 weeks suspended originated.

If I found a cache with a camera in it, I'd probably take a dump nearby, and take a picture of that. :)

I Would like to know what it is about this post that deemed a 2 week suspension from the forums? Quiggle, I think you would be the proper respondent, as you were the one that imposed the penalty.

Please read the forum guidelines at http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?act=boardrules which state:

Foul Language and obscene images will not be tolerated. This site is family friendly, and all posts and posters must respect the integrity of the site."

I'm giving you 14 days off which will be enough time to read the guidelines and find a way to adhere to them.

THere was no foul language nor obscene images in my posting. You never even felt it necessary to edit the original post. This seems to just be a personal vendetta by you against me. I'd like an explanation as to why? And I don't mind that explanation being held in an open forum.

You moderaters seem to let a lot more go from people who are long time, more regular posterst than myself, despite that the guidelines also state that should not be the case. They say:

"Whether a community member has one post or 5,000 posts, they deserve the same respect."

So, let's talk about it. If you think this deserves a thread of it's own, then by all means, please start a new one and post this as the first post in it. I just asked my questions here due to the fact that this is where the post that got me 2 weeks suspended originated.

MIS, I have no preexisting opinion of you or Quiggle, and I am hard to offend with off-color or scatological humor, but the suspension doesn't seem excessive. The posting was crude and mean. Probably meant to be an edgy joke, but it didn't work.

The followup sock-puppet post was obviously cruder and meaner.

MIS, I have no preexisting opinion of you or Quiggle, and I am hard to offend with off-color or scatological humor, but the suspension doesn't seem excessive. The posting was crude and mean. Probably meant to be an edgy joke, but it didn't work.

Agreed. The joke didn't work. (Probably didn't work for you back in Jr. High, either.) It was just crude. Too bad, but it looks like the timeout didn't work for you. Maybe some peer feedback will help you get a grip.

And to remain on topic... I have taken a few shots at various caches that have had cameras but have not seen them. It seems like a nice idea, but something I don't see much of anymore.

Followup sock-puppet post? I'm really not sure about what post that is you are talking about. I have no sock-puppet account. Those are also against the guidelines. But of course, that is a guideline that is ALSO not consistently enforced.

<snip>

And to remain on topic... I have taken a few shots at various caches that have had cameras but have not seen them. It seems like a nice idea, but something I don't see much of anymore.

I don't see the cameras very often anymore either, and I've never remembered to go back to the cache page where there was one to see if the pictures were posted. :)

In the future, maybe I'll remember to put a cache with a camera in it on my Watchlist to see if the owner posts a Note when they post the pictures.

OK folks, let's get this thread back on track. -Thanks

I'd just appreciate a response from Quiggle regarding why he banned me for 2 weeks from posting. I don't think that's too much to ask.

Any discussion regarding your crude post can be handled someplace else, not here.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming.