DNF Log....

"Bummer. Only had a few minutes enroute from Washington to Central Calif. Maybe I'll thy this one again when I have more time."

Wonderful.

Even a DNF log like that would be welcomed by me. It tells me a cacher was at the cache and had some interest in the location, even if they didn't have time for a thorough search. That log also provides them with an accurate record of the cache locations they visited during their trip.

We looked for a cache the other day that has no recent Finds, or DNFs. However, the Italian Cypress trees certainly look as if people have been pulling them apart searching for the elusive, and possibly-missing cache. In my DNF log I noted that perhaps people have not been logging their DNFs.

I don't see a problem with logging every DNF, as long as the person actually got to the cache location and wasn't still enroute to it on the freeway . . . :rolleyes:

"Bummer. Only had a few minutes enroute from Washington to Central Calif. Maybe I'll thy this one again when I have more time."

Wonderful.

Sounds pretty honest to me. At least they bothered to log it.

I see no problem with it. If it were my cache I'd be happy to get the log. I want to know if people are looking for my caches.

I would much rather have a log like that then the ones I have been getting lately on a "found" logs:

"Took a bit of sleuthing on this one. This was my 2nd or 3rd visit here. I was bound and determined to find this one and I did. "

Yup, you guessed it - the previous two DNFs were not logged. :rolleyes:

Wonderful.

Maybe I'm missing something... but I don't see the problem with this log?

I agree.. what's the problem with this log?

I agree.. what's the problem with this log?

I gather that some people treat a DNF log as meaning "I think this cache is missing".

When I log a DNF (and I do usually log them), I try to give some indication of why, which has included I didn't bring the description, it was late and the light was bad and I was tired, it was the third cache I had ever tried to find, the obvious spot contained nothing and past logs said the same. I figure this tells the owner I was interested (many caches I look for are seldom seen) but also makes it clear whether I think there's a problem.

Edward

Wonderful.

This sounds like a perfectly valid and legitimate DNF log to me. In fact, I have left similar logs myself at times for caches. You may wish to remember that a DNF is not a condemnation of your cache nor your maintenance record, but simply a DNF log.

Wonderful.

I may be missing something here but I don't think the OP was complaining about the log. I think he liked it.

On the other hand, I saw this log on a cache that's one of my all time favorites. It bothered me for days.

"Don't bother sending a clue; I rarely seek a teaser cache at all and did this one only because a view seemed enticing. The only regret is that trash caches deter others from posting a credible cache."

I think if he'd found the cache he would have felt differently.

Wonderful.

I may be missing something here but I don't think the OP was complaining about the log. I think he liked it.

On the other hand, I saw this log on a cache that's one of my all time favorites. It bothered me for days.

"Don't bother sending a clue; I rarely seek a teaser cache at all and did this one only because a view seemed enticing. The only regret is that trash caches deter others from posting a credible cache."

I think if he'd found the cache he would have felt differently.

I think that most on this thread (myself included) took the 'Wonderful.' to be Sarcastic.

I think that most on this thread (myself included) took the 'Wonderful.' to be Sarcastic.

You're probably right but I didn't see it that way. Maybe the OP will explain.

If that's the case, I have to say I'm not sure what's good-wonderful about it either.

Whether the "wonderful" was sincere or sarcastic, I think I'm still missing something.

Edited by Dinoprophet

I'll always log my first DNF to a cache. If I go back out a couple more times and still can't find it I don't always log each DNF. I will however, if I still haven't found it after the 4th try, which has happened, log another DNF with the other dates I was out looking. Is this the right way to do it? Don't really know. It's the way that I do it.

I always log all my DNF's. It doesn't bother me to be outwitted by the owner of the cache. Actually, it is what makes this sport challenging and fun. You will never find all the caches on the first try, but at least let the owner know that you are looking.

It sux when you have a DNF logged, like me, and then the cache owner moves across country and you cannot at least try to find it again.

That really grinds my bone.

Cheerio,

ImmY

I always log all my DNF's. It doesn't bother me to be outwitted by the owner of the cache. Actually, it is what makes this sport challenging and fun. You will never find all the caches on the first try, but at least let the owner know that you are looking.

It sux when you have a DNF logged, like me, and then the cache owner moves across country and you cannot at least try to find it again.

That really grinds my bone.

Cheerio,

ImmY

That happens a lot.....does it? :P:blink::blink:

I would much rather have a log like that then the ones I have been getting lately on a "found" logs:

"Took a bit of sleuthing on this one. This was my 2nd or 3rd visit here. I was bound and determined to find this one and I did. "

Yup, you guessed it - the previous two DNFs were not logged. <_<

I have very few cache hides and have not had anyone specifically write that yet. If I think I would ask them to either log there DNF or remove there Found it. Tell them that if it is not important enough to log a DNF on the cache then it shouldn't be important enough to log a Found it either.

I wonder if a cache with a ALR being that you have to post a DNF and keep it logged prior to logging a Found it would be approved?

I wonder if a cache with a ALR being that you have to post a DNF and keep it logged prior to logging a Found it would be approved?

what about those who are lucky enough to find the cache on the first try? would that find be invalid because there was no dnf before it? or would they just have to post a bogus dnf to have it count?

edited to add quote to avoid confusion

Edited by ScarabDrowner

what about those who are lucky enough to find the cache on the first try? would that find be invalid because there was no dnf before it? or would they just have to post a bogus dnf to have it count?

What? Gots some splanin to do Lucy. :o

You've never explained whether your original post was sarcastic or serious.

Which is it?

I agree that if you didnt find it you should post a DNF even if it's "No luck. will return" That way I can check on it to make sure it IS there. Especially if it's a 1 or 2 diff.

But, then again, If you dont log it until you find it and you have come looking 5 - 6 times and never logged a DNF but finally found it and log a find...well fine. It's all in fun. It's not THAT important really. I guess it's more considerate the other way though.

I remember looking for tricky 3 - 4 diff. caches and not logging DNF's. I just figured I was a NEWB and kept looking. (and that was the case most times)

just my dos centavos.

I don't see any problem with this log either. It could be a DNF or a note.

I post Notes on caches I have something to note...

I post DNF's on caches where I actually spent some amount of time searching for it. This means that if I just stopped and glanced around, or spent a minute or two, I probably won't post one. If I spent 5-10 minutes or more, and did a somewhat thorough search of the site, and didn't find the cache, I'll post a DNF. (of course, if I found it... :o )

Seems to be the general consensus in our area...

I post DNF's on caches where I actually spent some amount of time searching for it. This means that if I just stopped and glanced around, or spent a minute or two, I probably won't post one. If I spent 5-10 minutes or more, and did a somewhat thorough search of the site, and didn't find the cache, I'll post a DNF. (of course, if I found it... :o )

This is exactly what I do too. Everyone does it differently in our area. Some even seem to be competing for most DNFs. I just log DNFs when I get stumped. :laughing:

I post DNF's on caches where I actually spent some amount of time searching for it. This means that if I just stopped and glanced around, or spent a minute or two, I probably won't post one. If I spent 5-10 minutes or more, and did a somewhat thorough search of the site, and didn't find the cache, I'll post a DNF. (of course, if I found it... :laughing: )

That is what I ended up doing this weekend. I posted a "Note" on three caches. One where we couldn't get close because one of those "dancing sign" people was right at GZ. The other because I was on the wrong side of some water and never got close to GZ. The last Note was because we didn't find the log, although we did find the cache location. :blink:

Because I generally suck at urban caches, I also logged several DNFs after searching -- unsuccessfully -- each cache location. :o

I'll always log my first DNF to a cache. If I go back out a couple more times and still can't find it I don't always log each DNF. I will however, if I still haven't found it after the 4th try, which has happened, log another DNF with the other dates I was out looking. Is this the right way to do it? Don't really know. It's the way that I do it.

That's right. If you are dogged-determined to find the cache, and it takes multiple tries, why clutter the cache page with all those DNF logs? Stating your number of attempts in the final 'found-it' log accomplishes the goal of letting others know just how tough the find was.